Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Finally got back out with the Gecko, but picked a cold and windy day to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QJsM7Wsagg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

<>

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 29, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Warbird posted:

That’s pretty neat, is that the “Flight Plan for DJI Drones” on the App Store? If so, do you figure that $15 is worth the cost of admission?

I’m flying a Parrot drone with the built-in flight planner in the app, so I’ll have to let a DJI owner answer your first question.

As for worth it? Absolutely. The flight planner is a $20 in-app purchase for the parrot app and it was a great purchase. It really lets you fly tricky routes without worry.

There is no way I could have judged if the drone had cleared the lighthouse if I was flying LOS, and it lost video signal once it got out far enough, so this would have been an impossible hands-on flight. Throughout the whole thing the drone relayed its position back to me so I could watch it on the map.

I was able to set a group of waypoints around the lighthouse that the drone followed, its height at the waypoints, it’s speed between the waypoints and I se the lighthouse itself as a point of interest so that the camera stayed tracked on it.

Love Flight Plan, I’ve lost a lot of aircraft doing the things it does.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I think Lichi is still the best for DJI stuff. Unless you want DroneDeploy for work, but that is a subscription and $$$.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Alternative pants posted:

Finally got back out with the Gecko, but picked a cold and windy day to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QJsM7Wsagg

Very nice! I've only ever been ballsy enough to try stunts on fixed wing craft, the quads just seem way more difficult.

How are you maintaining, mentally, where you are after those stunts? I find even on my slow, decidedly non-stunt-y photography drone, I can get disoriented on which way im facing and whether or not I'm looking at my house or my neighbors house and whatnot? I guess you only have one building to worry about as a frame of reference, but I find its pretty hard when you're dealing with just trees to keep your mental orientation.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The fan on my lipo charger has been on the fritz lately and squealing and making a huge racket, so I decided its time to get a new charger. I really want one that can plug straight into a wall without me needing to tote a modified PC power supply around, and I'd also like to run it off a cigarette lighter if possible as well.

Turns out Amazon has something for that. Cool, a charger with dual power inputs!

:siren:But wait, does it really have its own power supply internally? Well kind of........:siren:

:psypop:

Still bought it. I guess if the supply dies it will be easy to swap!!

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Very nice! I've only ever been ballsy enough to try stunts on fixed wing craft, the quads just seem way more difficult.

How are you maintaining, mentally, where you are after those stunts? I find even on my slow, decidedly non-stunt-y photography drone, I can get disoriented on which way im facing and whether or not I'm looking at my house or my neighbors house and whatnot? I guess you only have one building to worry about as a frame of reference, but I find its pretty hard when you're dealing with just trees to keep your mental orientation.

Practice and familiarity with the field. This is about a mile and a half from my apartment, so I tend to fly there a lot. If it's somewhere I haven't flown before, or where I fly infrequently, I'll usually spend a pack or two learning the area.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The fan on my lipo charger has been on the fritz lately and squealing and making a huge racket, so I decided its time to get a new charger. I really want one that can plug straight into a wall without me needing to tote a modified PC power supply around, and I'd also like to run it off a cigarette lighter if possible as well.

Turns out Amazon has something for that. Cool, a charger with dual power inputs!

:siren:But wait, does it really have its own power supply internally? Well kind of........:siren:

:psypop:

Still bought it. I guess if the supply dies it will be easy to swap!!

Those have been around for ages. I have one somewhere that I used to take with me to races. You'd be much better of with ISDT charger, though.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Those have been around for ages. I have one somewhere that I used to take with me to races. You'd be much better of with ISDT charger, though.

The iMAX B6AC was my first charger. I had to open mine up to get the protective plastic off the LCD screen and was mildly annoyed to discover that they just crammed a power brick inside it because the whole reason I got that version was to eliminate a power brick. Unfortunately, I don't think you can just drop in a replacement because it does look slightly modified. It has the bare DC output wiring coming out the side instead of a strain relief through the front (because there would be no space for that).

If you want 1S support, be sure to get the V2. If the listing is cheaper and it doesn't say which version it is, it's probably the V1.

If you do eventually get an ISQT charger, I hope you have better luck than I did. My Q6 Plus was really nice to use, but didn't tolerate parallel charging and had a screen lens made of really soft plastic that scratched really easily. I eventually had enough and got an HTRC C240, which has AC input and dual outputs for roughly the same price as a Q6 Plus and, while it isn't anywhere as slick to use, it just works. I didn't think I would use the dual outputs much, but it has saved me a lot of time so far.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 11, 2020

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I really want one that can plug straight into a wall without me needing to tote a modified PC power supply around, and I'd also like to run it off a cigarette lighter if possible as well.

I started with a B6AC as well. It's not great. They're also very commonly faked/counterfeited and the fakes catch fire a lot.

Get an ISDT Q6, go to Goodwill and pillage their piles of laptop adapters for something that spits out somewhere between 12-24V (higher the better) at whatever amps you need and put an XT60 lead on it. Get a cigarette lighter lead and put an XT60 plug on it. Ez.

I did all of this myself except I bought a 15A 24V supply for cheap rather than scavenge something used that I'd have to probably run in series to get that much power at 24V anyway. Works fantastic. I also use my Q6es with a 10000mah lipo as power source for easy field charging, which is annoying with the B6AC since it doesn't have XT60 input.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Had a real good talk with John Q. Public about fpv this evening. Took my Buzz and Gecko out for some laps around a field behind a bank and one of the customers came out to watch. He told me he was an RC fixed wing flyer from way back in the 90s and wanted to know what an easy step into quads was. Spent a few minutes on different options and YouTube to help get started and he left after ordering a tinyhawk rtf package off Amazon.

All in all a good sesh.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh fine I cancelled my other one and ordered the isdt

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I like turtles posted:

Eastern Washington state. I'll look into that!

https://mil.wa.gov/preparedness-grants

You're looking at whoever runs the HSGP grant, which looks like there's contact info there you can reach out to for more info. there may be a regional sub-body for your specific area.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I like turtles posted:

I know basically jack poo poo about drones, but I'm volunteering with a local FD in logistics. I realized that a drone with an IR camera would be quite useful in both structure fires and in mop up for brush fires.
This appears to be a well supported idea, looking around online. There are some commercially available options with IR cameras already installed, or it looks like adding one could be done for a few grand.
What would y'all suggest? I figure I should learn how to drone before telling the department what to buy, what is the basic suggestion for baby's first drone? Does not need to be exceptionally fast or agile.
What sorts of drones I should be looking at (ideally good battery life, and tough) for the department? Again, quick and nimble are not high priorities.
Thoughts on commercially available drone specifically marketed for fire fighting purposes, vs commercially available drones with IR camera slapped on?

Mavic 2 enterprise dual. Used in a lot of S/R and fire department setups. Way more affordable than the matrice. The upcoming evo 2 dual may be interesting as well

Drone U should have some videos discussing this / Fire Department work. Possibly look into a contact at airbears.org for insight as well. The legal and training side of this is just as important as the tech side. FDs can work under COA but you'll need to conduct training (which often can't be necessarily done under the COA flight area, and will benefit from having people trained through part 107)

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

That’s pretty neat, is that the “Flight Plan for DJI Drones” on the App Store? If so, do you figure that $15 is worth the cost of admission?

get Litchi if you're going to get any third party paid app

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ugh fine I cancelled my other one and ordered the isdt
I have both the IMAX B6 and an ISDT Q6 and I'm tellin' ya you made the right decision. The Q6 has a wider input voltage range, a lot more power, and a nicer UI that's easier to switch battery types and auto-detects cell count. I have mine wired into my 3D printer power supply with an XT60, I have a cigarette lighter to XT60 to take in in the car, and an old laptop supply if I need anything else.

My B6 is actually charging up some batteries right now though for my Mobula6. I removed the canopy and moved the camera down to the front, mounted with a zip tie. I'm down about 1g from stock (to 19.5g), although my "stock" came with an external RX plug (0.22g) and a coax VTX antenna that was ziptied to the frame.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Got my 5" flying again after a crash and a week spent outdoors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c94EtO72hjw

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I mean, the ISDT does really look like the iphone of battery chargers compared to the B6

As long as its accurate I'm good. I have a sneaking suspicion that my B6 with the screaming fan isnt charging packs all the way up

E: ^^^^^^^^Uh so what happened that made your emax fall out of the sky?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 13, 2020

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I mean, the ISDT does really look like the iphone of battery chargers compared to the B6

As long as its accurate I'm good. I have a sneaking suspicion that my B6 with the screaming fan isnt charging packs all the way up

E: ^^^^^^^^Uh so what happened that made your emax fall out of the sky?

Rx loss. Combination of being too far away from me and between me and the quad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, got my isdt. Clearly used. Screen is scratched to poo poo.

loving amazon

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Return it and complain. Someone will be happy to buy it with a "used /cosmetic defect" discount.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DreadLlama posted:

Return it and complain. Someone will be happy to buy it with a "used /cosmetic defect" discount.

I’ve done this and then literally bought the same item from amazon as used for a substantial discount

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Alternative pants posted:

Rx loss. Combination of being too far away from me and between me and the quad.

How much did the shingles cost?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

More dronin around Lake Michigan

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9xSDUIHmTC/

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

CloFan posted:

How much did the shingles cost?

Not a drat thing. The only good thing the HOA ever did was force people to get composite shingles, so they didn't get damaged at all.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I like turtles posted:

Eastern Washington state. I'll look into that!

This just came across my radar, no idea if it's worth a poo poo.

https://www.firerescue1.com/fire-products/drones/articles/how-to-buy-firefighting-drones-ebook-7iPp9MaHW6UxdTed/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh the stuff you get up to on coronavirus-mandated-sheltering in place.

I ran some of my Bebop 2 video through an AI video upscaler and the results are.......interesting. I'm not sure if its better or not yet, but at least its not all dogs like most AI images. I tried it on my normal desktop and it managed about 1 frame every 30 seconds. Sent it down to my gaming rig with a 1080ti and it bumped it to about 1 frame every second and a half. Still takes a while though

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 19, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That's pretty neat. Is that a commercial product or some open source initiative?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The upside to all this, I'm getting Airspace Auths in like, same day turnaround times. This is great.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Warbird posted:

That's pretty neat. Is that a commercial product or some open source initiative?

Its this: https://topazlabs.com/video-enhance-ai/

Results depend entirely on how many things the AI was trained on and what, which they dont tell you, but as a "click butan video big" solution it works exactly as advertised.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Elendil004 posted:

The upside to all this, I'm getting Airspace Auths in like, same day turnaround times. This is great.
I went to fly my 5" at the big county park and it was closed :( "These fences can't keep out quads!", I said.

Ah gently caress me, I guess your trees can though. Powerlooped, didn't get high enough, and as I passed through the apex the giant tree was RIGHT THERE. In the video it was 4 frames between blue sky and goggles full of leaves. Only took an hour with a slingshot and a rope to get it down. This was the first time I'd flown the 5" in 3 weeks thanks to work and, man, 5" is where it is at. I had such a dumb grin on my face with all that power and weight compared to the brushless whoop I've been flying every day.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Here is the stock footage VS AI comparison, well it will be here once it finishes processing and you can see a video over 360p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4Zm9gkj7jc

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 19, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hmm, this seems like an even bigger deal with small details like the branches seen here, we'll see once it renders, I'm trying some different presets as well.

Sorry, this thread is my livejournal now

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DJI FPV is a complete game changer. Not a terribly exiting video as I was still dialiing in rates, etc, but this is so much nicer to fly with!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmfQ5Mrbb_U

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Comparison with stock 1080 Bebop footage and the 4K AI upscaling on the LQ and HQ presets.

The AI seems to really do well with branches, oddly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In7AInXmR-E

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That's super interesting. What sort of presets do they have to let you tweak rendering? I do a decent amount of GPU rendering for Blender piddling and you can certainly go down the rabbit hole if you so choose.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
extremely bad news: i've discovered that there is a lively amateur high-altitude weather/radiosonde balloon community, and also that hydrogen is a safe + popular lifting gas that can be produced very cheaply in situ vs. needing large quantities of very expensive bottled helium. i assumed hydrogen would be prohibitively-dangerous to use, but nope, it's actually the go-to choice for p much everyone launching small balloons, even scientific/academic orgs in Europe use hydrogen preferentially over helium, so it's not as nuts as you assume due to *gestures at flaming Hindenburg strutwork*
see here, for example, where the burning balloon latex is clearly much more of an issue than the burning hydrogen itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAQXw_GF7Rk

anyways what this means is that it's not prohibitively-expensive to experiment with, particularly for small payloads that don't meet the the FAA no-fun-hella-regulations weight threshold. brb sending a curated selection of 20-year old SA in-jokes to the edge of space, for the likes n faves

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 19, 2020

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Oh wow that's the terrible secret of FAAce if there's no proposed restriction on hydrogen airships... because they weigh negative? There was an retired inventor who lived a couple hours North of me who invited me up to see his hydrogen generator and gigantic blimp that took like 2 weeks to inflate. I didn't take him up on it and he seems to have disappeared so I guess I missed my chance, but it sounded perfectly safe so if you get into that make sure you come back with pics.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CapnBry posted:

Oh wow that's the terrible secret of FAAce if there's no proposed restriction on hydrogen airships... because they weigh negative? There was an retired inventor who lived a couple hours North of me who invited me up to see his hydrogen generator and gigantic blimp that took like 2 weeks to inflate. I didn't take him up on it and he seems to have disappeared so I guess I missed my chance, but it sounded perfectly safe so if you get into that make sure you come back with pics.

14 CFR 107.3 does indeed use the word "weight" instead of "mass" and it specifies "on takeoff" sooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
iirc there's some wording that specifies payload mass for lighter-than-air vehicles, so i don't think that sort of rules-lawyering will hold up?? but the max lifting capacity of the smaller affordable balloons doesn't come near the FAA Genuinely Cares Now threshold. registering a flight plan and all that noise is still a baseline requisite b/c you're sticking that thing up at commercial aircraft flight ceiling altitudes and let the wind blow it where it may for hours. ALSO even if it's "below threshold" you still can't do fun things with it, i.e. dropping objects from balloons is strictly prohibited. killjoys don't want me running my own shoestring dirigible terror bombing campaign

found a weather balloon flight planning plugin for google maps and apparently prevailing winds will inevitably deposit my balloon in another country (that has currently sealed its borders to us) unless i drive a couple hours out of my way for launch. haruumph

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 19, 2020