Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/noonanjo/status/1237845113591623682

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

on a similar note:

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1237843955556864000

my parents are still convinced that this is "just like a flu or the cold" and don't understand why everyone is panicking when there's only been a few cases nationwide

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Hi I took 2.5 weeks of vacation and am just returning to the forums, can someone bring me up to speed on whether we're taking COVID seriously yet?

Like I'm not one to grind an axe but I was repeatedly told I was sowing fear and panic over nothing (including by one idiot who claimed to be an HIV epidemiologist :actually:) but I think we're taking it seriously now? Right?

Burt decided against going on the cruise.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Burt decided against going on the cruise.

Yeah but now he says he's going to Vegas so....

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
e: nvm misunderstood something I thought that tweet was actually saying between 70 and 150 million people not between 70 million and 150 million people. Could've been phrased better

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

https://blog.ucsusa.org/michael-halpern/white-house-removes-public-health-experts-from-coronavirus-discussions

Y'all are fuckin doomed. I'm sorry.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Just saw the news here and the Dutch government still hasn't taken any real measures. Just 'stay home if you feel sick'.

Also my husband told me tonight that the father of one of the former interns at his office has the Roni, but then that's it's okay for us because that intern hasn't been in the office for weeks now! That didn't reassure me as much as he thinks it did.

And the entirely voluntary advice for one province "work from home if you want, i guess, or not". I mean it's not like this country is insanely densely populated and people commute all over the country every day and drawing a line around a single province is entirely arbitrary.

The Clitoris
Jan 29, 2020

Finding it makes all of your dreams come true

NihilismNow posted:

And the entirely voluntary advice for one province "work from home if you want, i guess, or not". I mean it's not like this country is insanely densely populated and people commute all over the country every day and drawing a line around a single province is entirely arbitrary.

I'm in Los Angeles now so I'm a dead man in a few weeks. Eat an Anne and Max Club sandwich for me.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Today at my local Publix grocery store there was quite a ruckus that ended with the police being called. Apparently some wackadoodle lady was intentionally coughing on customers in the store.

No idea if it is true as I arrived just after it happened but that's the story that I overheard. Humans are a mistake of nature jfc

I'm shutting down my gym until the end of March and the family and I are going to just chill on our farm until we get an idea of how it is all going to play out. I found a box of about 25 unused N95 masks (we used them for painting and carpentry projects) so tomorrow I'm going to donate them to the local hospital and/or first responders.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

How many times do you think Trump’s going to touch his face during his speech tonight?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/stat...er%3D872%23pti8

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

ruddiger posted:

How many times do you think Trump’s going to touch his face during his speech tonight?

None hes going to wear a MAGA mask.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Yeah I'm sorry, this Trump classification stuff has me going full Jade Helm. What the gently caress is going on.

They seem to actively want the epidemic to get worse in America. I cannot understand this behavior without seeing something very sinister.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Shaocaholica posted:

None hes going to wear a MAGA mask.

What the hell is that? Is he going to wear a mask depicting himself?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Ugh, I have a major problem.

My nuclear family lives in a mid size city in a state that doesn't have the virus officially yet. This weekend my brother and his family and my parents are flying here also from "virus free" states to attend an award ceremony for my brother with others from God knows where. It's a huge honor, he's been looking forward to it all year, and my kids are stoked to spend time with their cousins.

There's a non zero chance that everything will be fine, and that me urging my parents not to come, at least, will be huge family drama and probably not work anyway.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

friendly 2 da void posted:

Yeah I'm sorry, this Trump classification stuff has me going full Jade Helm. What the gently caress is going on.

They seem to actively want the epidemic to get worse in America. I cannot understand this behavior without seeing something very sinister.

They're idiots who want to hide bad news that they think will hurt the stock market, since Trump's only metric for success is the Dow Jones. They thought it would just blow over and didn't want to spook the markets by making it look like it might be a problem. Same reason why he keeps saying its basically the flu

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Ugh, I have a major problem.

My nuclear family lives in a mid size city in a state that doesn't have the virus officially yet. This weekend my brother and his family and my parents are flying here also from "virus free" states to attend an award ceremony for my brother with others from God knows where. It's a huge honor, he's been looking forward to it all year, and my kids are stoked to spend time with their cousins.

There's a non zero chance that everything will be fine, and that me urging my parents not to come, at least, will be huge family drama and probably not work anyway.

Don't do it

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Try anyway, then take solace that you can call your parents idiots when they're on their deathbed

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Embrace death

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
500 new cases since yesterday in :france:
Those numbers are meaningless

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/elipariser/status/1237840413857202178?s=21

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Florida is just going to erupt with cases and all my coworkers can’t stop coming in sick. I’ve seen people coughing at almost every food and business establishment in the last few days and I’m just waiting for the inevitable.

Also all the good toilet paper is sold out :negative:

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Province of Quebec confirms 8th case and I read something about 92 suspected cases awaiting a 2nd test result for confirmation.
Latest Montreal case took public transit in the city + south shore.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i heard the mortality rate is much worse in italy than china. is this likely because one of them (which?) was worse about testing?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

like everyone else, i'm sure they could do with a hug

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Rinkles posted:

i heard the mortality rate is much worse in italy than china. is this likely because one of them (which?) was worse about testing?

It's because the Italian health system is collapsing and China built 2 hospitals in a week.

They took this poo poo seriously and we didn't.

The Glumslinger posted:

They're idiots who want to hide bad news that they think will hurt the stock market, since Trump's only metric for success is the Dow Jones. They thought it would just blow over and didn't want to spook the markets by making it look like it might be a problem. Same reason why he keeps saying its basically the flu

But it is obvious even to the dumbest dummy that hiding it is not helping the stock market. It's cratering.

I think they see a chance to remake America. Things like "indefinitely delaying tax day" and "no more payroll taxes" are the start but they'll start recommending bigger and bigger changes soon.

Again, I've gone completely insane after reading the classification stuff. This is scary bros

https://twitter.com/OversightDems/status/1237820463025401858

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Rinkles posted:

There's no way China has been honest about numbers nor efficiently testing. Italy is a good indication of things to come everywhere if you ask my very informed opinion, I have a Ph.D. in internet browsing and own a computer.
Seriously though we're kinda hosed.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

South UK - The local bigass supermarket looks like a bomb hit it. Soup limited to five each, no pasta, tp, soap, rice, dried beans, part-baked bread. People are getting really scared, and everyone knows the govt. line of 'just wash ur hands more' is bullshit.

It's got me thinking how apocalyptic Spanish Flu must have seemed - they had this, much worse than this, but in the middle of the biggest war ever.

lofi fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 11, 2020

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
So my buddy has folks down in Arizona, he’s worried about them. I think I remember someone saying the virus doesn’t like hot dry heat. True?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Maybe put a finger up deaths butt sometimes death is afraid to ask but would be super into it if it was like when they were about to cum

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
China's numbers are bunk.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

HungryMedusa posted:

My husband had a good point that we will need more to do than video games when poo poo hits the fan, so I bought some puzzles during my daily prepper run. I bought one with orcas jumping out of the water in the moonlight. Then I bought a real big one of Las Vegas in case no one ever gets to travel again.
Can I still go outdoors and ride my bike by myself except not stop any where or interact with anyone, just door to back to door? I honestly don't know what else I would do lol. Read a book? Are you out of your mind lol?!

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Burt Sexual posted:

So my buddy has folks down in Arizona, he’s worried about them. I think I remember someone saying the virus doesn’t like hot dry heat. True?

Only speculative and one of the few hopes we're clinging to really.
Remains to be seen.

e: The numbers from warmer countries don't seem very hopeful in that regard.
Also the same speculation has spread re: humid climates. It's all baseless at this point. This virus behaves in very unusual manners.

Bronze Fonz fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 11, 2020

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
China might be fudging their death totals, but they also responded quicker and better than any country besides maybe SK and Japan. They locked down early and built up new hospitals, and brought in more doctors and nurses from around the country to help in the worst hit areas.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Sten Freak posted:

China's numbers are bunk.

The WHO investigated with a team of independent experts and said they weren't.

The containment strategy is working in South Korea and Singapore. Sorry folks. Asia got it right on this one.

Anybody who has been to the region in the past 2 months and seen how crazy serious they are taking this will understand.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

He should definitely make sure their will is up to date

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

Do they live outside?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

friendly 2 da void posted:

It's because the Italian health system is collapsing and China built 2 hospitals in a week.

They took this poo poo seriously and we didn't.

But it is obvious even to the dumbest dummy that hiding it is not helping the stock market. It's cratering.

I think they see a chance to remake America. Things like "indefinitely delaying tax day" and "no more payroll taxes" are the start but they'll start recommending bigger and bigger changes soon.

Again, I've gone completely insane after reading the classification stuff. This is scary bros

https://twitter.com/OversightDems/status/1237820463025401858

Yeah, but they're dumb asses hiding news and downplaying it saved the market for like 3 or 4 weeks and thats back when they were doing this as classified meetings. Sure, it resulted in them completely botching the response and will likely lead to hundreds of thousands of deaths, but they managed to keep that stock market number from crashing for like a month.

Mission accomplished

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Rinkles posted:

lots of old people. Also, a very social society in often densely populated cities. AND they didn’t take it seriously in the beginning. Just like most other countries now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
Good news: friend at CBS visited our parents three weeks ago.

Bad news: he sits beside one of the cases. And has had a history of severe anxiety since we were little kids and having a meltdown at the moment.