Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe

The Clitoris posted:

You could check plane tickets. Might be some rock bottom deals

Yup, the same plane tickets I used last month to fly down to visit my folks in Austin are now half-price!

I was a bit worried when I first heard about Covid back in January, but we beat the US invasion of the virus by a month.

I'm glad everything's getting canceled. because then we have an excuse to cut spending - after a surprise vet bill when we returned, I'm having to scrape to make the wife's tuition payment.

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
thanks for the offers for charity guys, that was totally unexpected. I just wanted to make sure he gets home and I'll drive it if I have to. I busted out laughing when the guy offered to drive him from Boise if I get him there

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I hope RBG is being real careful these days.

https://twitter.com/DrPaulGosar/status/1237574121388531712

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Crazyweasel posted:

Do you mind sharing age and general health prior to? My last thread to reality is that it “might not be that bad for my age range (under 30)” but wondering how true that is

Are you seriously asking A/S/L?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

don't even think this fuckin thought bruh

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Hoooooooboy, this is gonna be some outbreak

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-11/pasadena-confirms-first-coronavirus-case-l-a-county-total-hits-29

quote:

Pasadena on Wednesday reported its first case of confirmed coronavirus, and hours later, a Beverly Hills church announced that its rector had also been diagnosed with the virus.

On its website, All Saints’ Episcopal Church said its rector, the Rev. Janet Broderick, fell ill shortly after returning from the annual conference of the Consortium of Endowed Episcopal Parishes in Louisville, Ky. She was in stable condition at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Beverly Hills, the church said, and was being treated “for a severe form of pneumonia.”

quote:

In the case of Broderick, the All Saints’ rector, she returned sick from the Louisville conference and was initially treated for what her doctors believed was a “viral syndrome,” according to the church.

Their assessment was that her illness did not warrant further concern. Then, last Sunday, the rector of Christ Church Georgetown in Washington, D.C., who also attended the conference, was diagnosed with the virus. More than 500 Episcopalians from around the country had participated in the event.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Google Butt posted:

don't even think this fuckin thought bruh

trump is going to win ginsberg is going to die and roe is going to be repealed. dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

They still haven’t canceled the conference I was going to attend at the end of the month and they better loving refund me.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

thatguy posted:

thanks for the offers for charity guys, that was totally unexpected. I just wanted to make sure he gets home and I'll drive it if I have to. I busted out laughing when the guy offered to drive him from Boise if I get him there
If it's $300-400+, it might be cheaper for him to stay local and wait for a gig to open up. Since tourism isn't really a thing right now, I'm assuming hotel prices are plummeting. If he gets to Idaho, don't forget he also has to get back. Unless he's planning to stay there permanently?

e: maybe not. Greyhound doesn't look fun but it's $200

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 12, 2020

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anne Whateley posted:

If he gets to Idaho, don’t forget he also has to get back. Unless he’s planning to stay there permanently?

perhaps he wants to die in the arms of his loved ones

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Seems rude to infect them

but really, if 50 and active is certain death, we're hosed whatever transportation method he chooses

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you can drive this guy across the entire country, I'll handle the final 50 miles. I got you, fam.

I wish I could do more too. :(

thatguy posted:

I busted out laughing when the guy offered to drive him from Boise if I get him there

If you want to go the extra (250) mile(s) to get him up to Kooskia personally, I understand. It's not a small state and I thought were looking at a Greyhound relay.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 12, 2020

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

If it's $300-400+, it might be cheaper for him to stay local and wait for a gig to open up. Since tourism isn't really a thing right now, I'm assuming hotel prices are plummeting. If he gets to Idaho, don't forget he also has to get back. Unless he's planning to stay there permanently?

e: maybe not. Greyhound doesn't look fun but it's $200

he lives in Idaho, he wants to watch one sunrise from the beautiful nez perce reservation before he dies in his family's arms

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Barudak posted:

Weekend at Donnies

New thread title?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I wish I could do more too. :(

We know you mean well

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

thatguy posted:

he lives in Idaho, he wants to watch one sunrise from the beautiful nez perce reservation before he dies in his family's arms
lol this is great, all the transplants are gonna return to their small isolated hometowns just to make SURE it spreads there too

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1237986553164595200

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LA still only has like 40 fuckin cases lmao

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Nah, all states probably have thousands of cases, they're just not testing anyone.

For comparison, we only have around 85 confirmed cases in Israel, but all gatherings over 100 people are prohibited, while everyone coming in from abroad must self-quarantine.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 12, 2020

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

lol this is great, all the transplants are gonna return to their small isolated hometowns just to make SURE it spreads there too

Thankfully both you and I agree that most cities above, say, 10,000 residents should be quarantined to prevent people from leaving them, in perpetuity.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Nah, all states probably have thousands of cases, they're just not testing anyone.

For comparison, we only have around 85 confirmed cases in Israel, but all gatherings over 100 people are prohibited, while everyone coming in from abroad must self-quarantine.

Yeah that was the point I was trying to make.

The testing is stupid low.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

MarcusSA posted:

LA still only has like 40 fuckin cases lmao

Lol there's way more than that, testing rates are abysmal

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
major garrett says to knock off that roni poo poo you fuckin goons

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Is anything that we're learning from Italy be applied here without Federal action?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Is anything that we're learning from Italy be applied here without Federal action?

Yeah travel back in time and implement the poo poo we should have 3+ weeks ago.

Now? No we are hosed.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Delta-Wye posted:

Look he said you can't not you shouldn't. Pretty should he just didn't believe in the internet enough as the internet showed, well, it is actually not only possible, but quite easy really.
One should never underestimate humanities creativity!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Google Butt posted:

Minnesota stole drive through testing from South Korea.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

thatguy posted:

Thankfully both you and I agree that most cities above, say, 10,000 residents should be quarantined to prevent people from leaving them, in perpetuity.
I obviously didn't say that, I just think on an individual level, it's short-sighted and selfish. This isn't a hypothetical to me, it's something I'm actually dealing with right now. I'm from a small rural town and I live in NYC. I was planning to visit my parents this weekend, and I canceled even though they're begging me to come anyway. I don't think I can see them until this whole thing ends. It may mean I never see my grandparents again. I would be devastated, but I would still prefer that over giving it to them myself.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Delta-Wye posted:

gently caress you, I'll talk about Cough-A-Roni, the San Francisco Yeet, all I want. :colbert:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Coronavirus isn't even the right name. It's like trying to describe your least favourite dish and saying "I don't like the food"

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Wizard Master posted:

I wish the zombie apocalypse would hurry up and happen, I want to start capping motherfuckers :blastu: :twisted:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
youre gonna have to just start shooting coughers

*man coughing dies in hail of gunfire. wizard master emerges from a nearby bush*
"he was turning"

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

I obviously didn't say that, I just think on an individual level, it's short-sighted and selfish. This isn't a hypothetical to me, it's something I'm actually dealing with right now. I'm from a small rural town and I live in NYC. I was planning to visit my parents this weekend, and I canceled even though they're begging me to come anyway. I don't think I can see them until this whole thing ends. It may mean I never see my grandparents again. I would be devastated, but I would still prefer that over giving it to them myself.

He doesn't live in NC, he lives in Idaho. We work <90 day jobs building recreational trails. Current job is ending, he wanted a few months off at his actual home before we start working our next one.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I mean technically tehre's nothing stopping you from capping motherfuckers right now

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/adamliaw/status/1237918516440776704

:haw:

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Inside gossip: bunch of Sydney hospitals are putting elective surgeries on hold and prepping for a big influx of acute cases. Lots of talk about how everything is about to be hosed.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

coolusername posted:

Inside gossip: bunch of Sydney hospitals are putting elective surgeries on hold and prepping for a big influx of acute cases. Lots of talk about how everything is about to be hosed.

Obviously. You're out of toilet paper and nobody washes their hands right, everybody is gonna get poo diseases.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

https://twitter.com/edmundlee/status/1237566954539384834

Myriarch
May 14, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

Are they though? Obviously Africa is a huge and diverse place, but in some areas AIDS decimated the adult population, and they generally get the short end of the stick what with malaria and whatnot. Which means they have fewer people over 80 than the other continents.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/270861/life-expectancy-by-continent/

Overall life expectancy in Africa is 61/65. Now some of that is infant mortality, but not all of it. Places with chronic terrible healthcare have already killed off a lot of people before they get a chance to become extremely old. Without advanced medical treatment a lot of the folks with heart disease, asthma, diabetes and so on will simply have died of those diseases before covid19 reaches their communities.

If the vast majority of your population is under 60, and mostly not living with the disease of affluence, then the impact might not be much worse than a bad flu year?

The danger is that it's not just the elderly that need to worry, but also anyone with comorbidities and compromised immune systems, which imaginatively would describe AIDS sufferers in Africa. That said I do remember reading a study earlier this week (cannot find it now, maybe I made it up) which said that there wasn't evidence for AIDS affecting wuhan flu. So maybe in the end africa will inherit the planet after all once we're all dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back
is roni hysteria high enough to cancel my jury duty on Friday or is that specifically where I catch it?