Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Watching last night’s DAZN card now, amazing stuff for all of Martinez-Harris

Real bizarre tactics from Yafai, wtf was he thinking trying to outfight Chocolatito inside lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

GalacticAcid posted:

Watching last night’s DAZN card now, amazing stuff for all of Martinez-Harris

Real bizarre tactics from Yafai, wtf was he thinking trying to outfight Chocolatito inside lol

It seems like Yafai thought that since he was the bigger man that he could just bully Chocolatito as Sor Ringviasi did. Naturally this ignores how Kal Yafai has fought basically his entire career.

Also reports are that Wilder has officially executed the rematch clause with the trilogy to take place in Mid July (most likely at MGM Grand again) and Joshua and Pulev's teams have reached agreement so that they will fight June 20th at Tottenham Hotspur Stdaiun

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Didn’t expect so much punching power at welterweight from Mikey Garcia

Thought Vargas was a dead man walking after the knockdown but he managed to throw some real nice combos and land a few big shots in the late rounds, great fight

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Time for runback of the runback!

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1234279340491313152

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
2020 is shaping up to be a massive year for the heavyweight division, maybe the best in over 20 years. First we saw Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder 2, the next 4 months will bring us:

Adam Kownacki vs Robert Helenius (March 7th)
Daniel Dubois vs Joe Joyce (April 11th)
Oleksandr Usyk vs Dereck Chisora (May 23rd)
Dillian Whyte vs Alexander Povetkin (May 2020)
Anthony Joshua vs Kubrat Pulev (June 20th)
Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder 3 (July 18~)

And that's just the first half the year. Plus we had Joshua/Ruiz 2 in December, and we could theoretically see Fury/Joshua at the end of the year if we're lucky. 2020s are looking to rival the 1990s in division strength.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Wonder what Ruiz does next

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

GalacticAcid posted:

Wonder what Ruiz does next

Ideally he rematches Joseph Parker. He could also fight a total tomato can in a get right fight. Adam Kownacki (assuming he beats Robert Helenius), Michael Hunter, Charles Martin, and Oscar Rivas are other likely options.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Ideally he rematches Joseph Parker. He could also fight a total tomato can in a get right fight. Adam Kownacki (assuming he beats Robert Helenius), Michael Hunter, Charles Martin, and Oscar Rivas are other likely options.

Coppinger is reporting that Ruiz is looking to fight either Kownacki (if he beats Helenius) or Chris Arreola next.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Being reported from multiple sources that Canelo-Saunders is agreed to for May 2nd @ T-Mobile Arena in Vegas. Announcement expected in the next few days

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A lot of people aren't excited for Wilder vs Fury 3.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Being reported from multiple sources that Canelo-Saunders is agreed to for May 2nd @ T-Mobile Arena in Vegas. Announcement expected in the next few days

Unsure how this one goes. Saunders is... inconsistent, and that’s probably being generous to him but he definitely has some talent and skills and when he’s doing well he looks like a very slick boxer.

Canelo is of course one of the most consistent and dominant performers in the game right now BUT he’s been known to struggle with slick boxers and hasn’t really fought a pure boxer since he was at 154. Closest is Jacobs, which wasn’t exactly a run away for Canelo either.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

punk rebel ecks posted:

No poo poo. A draw followed by a brutal stoppage is decisive. We're one fight away from having a unified champ and they're stuck in a contractual circle jerk.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Jump King posted:

Unsure how this one goes. Saunders is... inconsistent, and that’s probably being generous to him but he definitely has some talent and skills and when he’s doing well he looks like a very slick boxer.

Canelo is of course one of the most consistent and dominant performers in the game right now BUT he’s been known to struggle with slick boxers and hasn’t really fought a pure boxer since he was at 154. Closest is Jacobs, which wasn’t exactly a run away for Canelo either.

yeah this fight screams a robbery on the cards for canelo. canelo by points and a draw are the bets here.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

CommonShore posted:

No poo poo. A draw followed by a brutal stoppage is decisive. We're one fight away from having a unified champ and they're stuck in a contractual circle jerk.

i'd be somewhat excited if wilder didn't look absolutely baffled by fury deciding to box off the front foot.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

The SituAsian posted:

A shame to see BJS's shenanigans eventually pay off with a big money fight. As the remaining beltholder at middleweight he avoided GGG until he failed a drugs test, then he got a gift-wrapped vacant WBO supermiddle title from Frank Warren. This might be the first time I'm rooting for Canelo.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
BJS is an absolute garbage person so I hope Canelo destroys him

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

As far as a trilogy capstone it's not very exciting. Most trilogies (or beyond) in boxing happen because there's still lingering controversy or uncertainty in the outcome that wasn't conclusively resolved by a second fight. IMO Tyson Fury resolved things pretty conclusively.

They'll sell this fight on the idea that Wilder had an off-night and will do better in the trilogy, there's certainly some potential for a turnaround especially at heavyweight where every punch can be fight changing. But he'll be a big underdog in a matchup where at least right now the other guy seems to have all the advantages.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

so if Wilder wins decisively, do they just say gently caress it and do a fourth match?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

As far as a trilogy capstone it's not very exciting. Most trilogies (or beyond) in boxing happen because there's still lingering controversy or uncertainty in the outcome that wasn't conclusively resolved by a second fight. IMO Tyson Fury resolved things pretty conclusively.

They'll sell this fight on the idea that Wilder had an off-night and will do better in the trilogy, there's certainly some potential for a turnaround especially at heavyweight where every punch can be fight changing. But he'll be a big underdog in a matchup where at least right now the other guy seems to have all the advantages.

This has me thinking, what were some of the best trilogy/fight rivalries in boxing?

I know Tyson and Holyfield fights were hyped.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Gatti/Ward is three fights of complete insanity.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

This has me thinking, what were some of the best trilogy/fight rivalries in boxing?

LaMotta-Robinson (FOUR fights!)
Ali-Norton
Ali-Frazier

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Julio Cruz posted:

BJS is an absolute garbage person so I hope Canelo destroys him

Such a poo poo person I got shown a video of him being a piece of poo poo by someone who knows nothing about boxing

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

punk rebel ecks posted:

All of the Pacquiao/Marquez fights were awesome. That last punch JMM starched Pacman with the 4th fight was what really made it special though. He had been waiting 46 rounds and almost 10 years to unload that one punch just so no judge could take it from him again.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

punk rebel ecks posted:

In addition to what has already been mentioned:

Erik Morales-Marco Antonio Barrera
Manny Pacquiao - Erik Morales
Rafael Marquez - Israel Vazquez which was actually a quadriology

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Absolutely massive upset just happened as Robert Helenius just stopped Adam Kownacki

https://twitter.com/PBConFOX/status/1236496832202772481

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 8, 2020

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

0 points to me for saying this after the fact but I thought people were writing Helenius off a little quick given that Kownacki isn't exactly bulletproof, but a bit of a shock regardless.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Helenius was a very promising prospect before injuring his shoulder against Chisora 8~ years ago. He’s never been the same since and has basically turned into a journeyman. Very surprising that he pulled this off, though he was always more talented and dangerous than your average fringe contender. Happy for him, as this win should get him a nice payday for his next fight. Maybe Andy Ruiz fights him next?

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 8, 2020

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Double post smh.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Helenius was a very promising prospect before injuring his shoulder against Chisora 8~ years ago. He’s never been the same since and has basically turned into a journeyman. Very surprising that he pulled this off, though he was always more talented and dangerous than your average fringe contender. Happy for him, as this win should get him a nice payday for his next fight. Maybe Andy Ruiz fights him next?

In retrospect his size advantage over Kownacki, who is a bit of a reckless brawler, should have pinged on more people's radar.

I'll always appreciate for this tv clip where he sounds like a literal demon

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Amazing

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I guess it was only a matter time that Kownacki's style finally betrayed him but I would've thought it would be to Wilder, Ortiz, Ruiz or maybe even Efe Ajagba but never someone who was thought to be over it like Helenius.

Just 90 days ago PBC had all 4 major heavyweight belts and a marketable unbeaten contender in Kownacki and now total bupkis

EDIT: I mean Helenius had been knocked out by Gerald Washington just a few months ago. Also should be noted that, in an homage to Andy Ruiz, Kownacki came in 15 pounds over his last fight against Arreola versus Helenius.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 8, 2020

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think if I showed a picture of Kownacki and Helenius to somebody who wasn't a boxing fan they wouldn't be surprised at all at the outcome.

I wonder where Helenius goes from here, because I think this was a bit of a fluke in that Kownacki was overrated (or already shopworn from brawling) and Helenius put on a good performance. You sort of imagine there's a fight with Michael Hunter as a final eliminator, or a fight with Charles Martin as like, a reasonable thing to do. Or I guess he waits for AJ to free up for a stay busy fight (Don't think this one happens unless he gets another good win though)

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Jump King posted:

I think if I showed a picture of Kownacki and Helenius to somebody who wasn't a boxing fan they wouldn't be surprised at all at the outcome.

you could just show them boxing for the same deal tbh

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this would be a novel way for a boxer to lose all of his money

https://twitter.com/ismaeelukk/status/1237054047410159616?s=20

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Don't worry guys, boxing is in good hands during this time of crisis

https://twitter.com/wbcmoro/status/1238118396224405504?s=19

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

We just need to make sure the gloves are sanitized.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Well Top Rank and PBC canceled their shows this weekend.

Edit: Apparently Top Rank has not as of yet but given Governor Cuomo closing Broadway and just the way other events have been canceled this feels like a matter or if not when

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 12, 2020

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Looks like Top Rank has put out a statement that they will go forward with their next two events in the Hulu arena in MSG with no fans in attendance.

So not outright cancelling anything yet

Edit: never mind they’re postponed

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Eddie Hearn confirmed that Canelo-Saunders was made but the announcement is on hold as it was supposed to happen May 2 but that seems quite unlikely at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Instead of having these fights in empty arenas they should place the ring on top of the Empire State Building or an aircraft carrier or something.