Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Manatee Cannon posted:

maybe the author wanted to finish it but was told to keep going?

either way the constant ending fakeouts were insane

And in the final battle none of the main cast did anything.

Honestly it's been amazingly crap for the last while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I started reading Bleach recently after knowing only that it falls apart towards the end. About where should I stop reading?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

when you stop wanting to read it?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Manatee Cannon posted:

maybe the author wanted to finish it but was told to keep going?

either way the constant ending fakeouts were insane

It apparently was one of the highest grossing franchises for 2019 and seems to make "gently caress you" money for Kodansha so that may be a possibility.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I started reading Bleach recently after knowing only that it falls apart towards the end. About where should I stop reading?

See it all the way through.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

chumbler posted:

See it all the way through.

This and then join in on the speculation

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1237998364974858240

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
When is Issue #17 again.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm assuming next week

https://bleach-20th-anniversary.com/

quote:

Due to the cancellation of the AnimeJapan 2020, “BLEACH 20th Anniversary Project & Tite Kubo New Project Presentation” will be broadcasted live from 9:45 on March 21 (Sat.) JST. This will be the same time as the stage was originally scheduled for “AnimeJapan 2020”.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I assume Bleach will eventually get the last arc animated. Is that something that would be announced in Shonen Jump?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The translation of Kuinshi as Quincy makes me laugh because all I can think of is Jack Klugman.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 13, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I'm glad that Eden's Zero is getting straight into trying to change the future, instead of dragging it out and having a chapter where Rebecca thinks it was just a dream until it happens again or having no-one believe her so she has to convince them.

EZ's been pretty good about not dragging itself out, I feel.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

When you get tired of swords.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Finish with the end of the Soul Society arc, and then pretend the rest got cancelled.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Honestly just read it until you get bored/don't care anymore.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
If you don't read until you come to loath the number 0, you haven't gotten the true Bleach experience.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah just read it.

It's probably more painless, not being week to week.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Read everything so you can appreciate the falling apart better.

MonsterEnvy posted:

And in the final battle none of the main cast did anything.

Honestly it's been amazingly crap for the last while.

They were totally there though. :D And technically I suppose it makes sense they couldn't do anything against Cath....doesn't make this feel any less redundant as an arc though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's completely readable when it isn't week to week. The big issues are pacing, repetitive storylines and lack of pay-off, and the latter kinda came from people imagining the sick and exhausted kubo was going to pull something astounding out of his rear end instead of what we got. Which is a ton of asspulls.Just keep in mind the last three years (if I remember my rumors) Kubo Tite was in pretty poor health. DON'T have a favorite character.

Oh, but if you can't laugh at the really bad moments don't bother. The last arc has astoundingly hilarious scenes that ... Like knowing he was sick, I wonder if they're fever dreams on the page. There's some stuff that is seriously, really funny.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I mean, my favorite character so far is Chad simply because as a giant musclehunk with flowing hair called Chad he's retroactively hilarious in 2020. Nothing the story does can take that away.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

I mean, my favorite character so far is Chad simply because as a giant musclehunk with flowing hair called Chad he's retroactively hilarious in 2020. Nothing the story does can take that away.

oh

oh dear

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

everyone likes chad

at first

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Everyone still likes Chad. He is blameless for how the author uses him.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, Chad's totally fine...? He ends up occupying the Piccolo slot, so to speak (being the character that's strong as hell on paper and yet exists to job to villains), but we all like Piccolo so clearly that's no big.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

piccolo's is treated infinitely better than chad

chad's more like... yamcha in og dragon ball during the tournaments

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Renji or Uryu is piccolo. Whoever isn't piccolo is Vegeta. (I'd vote for Uryu as Vegeta)

Chad is Krillin.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nah, nah, krillin has more dignity and a better record

every world tournament, yamcha makes it to the quarter finals and people are shocked when he inevitably loses to prove how strong someone else is. plus goku always says he's strong when people ask. even better, he retires from fighting to be a pro athelete. chad is yamcha

orihime is krillin

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

orihime is krillin

Small, bald, and fucks?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bad things happen to her to motivate the protagonist and give him power ups

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

That just sounds like women in comics in general tho

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Manatee Cannon posted:

Chad also fills this criteria though. Everyone in Bleach does. Rukia in soul society, Chad in soul society, hueco mundo, fake karakura, fullbringers and Deicide. Orihime in most of the same.

Everyone besides Ichigo exists to get hurt to power up ichigo

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hitsugaya is clearly Krillin.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

Chad also fills this criteria though. Everyone in Bleach does. Rukia in soul society, Chad in soul society, hueco mundo, fake karakura, fullbringers and Deicide. Orihime in most of the same.

Everyone besides Ichigo exists to get hurt to power up ichigo

what no, he absolutely does not. ichigo doesn't get any kind of power up from chad or even rukia

but with orihime he literally goes super saiyan. we ain't talking power of friendship here

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Chad is actually Tien. Doesn't get to do much, but you generally enjoy everything he does.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

Chad is actually Tien. Doesn't get to do much, but you generally enjoy everything he does.

And like Tien, the author forgets that he established this character as stronger than most of the main character's crew early on before relegating them to the background.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kenpachi and Byakuya are Vegeta.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Manatee Cannon posted:

piccolo's is treated infinitely better than chad

chad's more like... yamcha in og dragon ball during the tournaments

Piccolo gets the whole Gohan angle to make him stay important, but otherwise, no, they pretty much occupy the same role in the story.

Yamcha isn't sold as a badass in the same way that Chad or Piccolo are; when Yamcha gets his rear end kicked that's just the natural state of things. He's a joke character, whereas the other two being discussed are characters who are mostly taken seriously by the narrative outside of fights, so that them jobbing to new villains sets those new villains up as big badasses.

Bleach handles this pretty poorly, because it's Bleach and basically everything outside the art is handled badly when you get past Soul Society, but a series failing to achieve what it's going for, doesn't suddenly mean the series was never going for that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Tien's actually not a bad comparison either because if you remove the Gohan angle from Piccolo you basically get green Tien

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Manatee Cannon posted:

nah, nah, krillin has more dignity and a better record

every world tournament, yamcha makes it to the quarter finals and people are shocked when he inevitably loses to prove how strong someone else is. plus goku always says he's strong when people ask. even better, he retires from fighting to be a pro athelete. chad is yamcha

orihime is krillin

Is this because both Orihime and Krillin have a really OP ability (reality/time manipulation powers and destructo disk) but they never really get a chance to use them and are instead relegated to powering up the hero through their kidnap/demise? Maybe I'm wrong, it's been awhile since I read and I forget the extent of their abilities.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Man, Goku versus Tien might be the best fight in dragonball. It’s like, Goku vs Tien, Goku vs Jackie Chun, Goku vs Vegeta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Piccolo gets the whole Gohan angle to make him stay important, but otherwise, no, they pretty much occupy the same role in the story.

piccolo wins fights and is useful so he literally can't be chad. chad is a joke, even if the story doesn't think he is. and yamcha is taken seriously as a fighter in dragon ball

also renji makes the most sense as tien because he's ichigo's rival for half a second after winning their first fight but is then relegated to the b team for the rest of the series. I guess if anyone's piccolo, it's... byakuya maybe?