Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

bell jar posted:

I just realised Andra = Al'Lan Mandragoran

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

uPen posted:

I love the Lord of Chaos cover or whichever it is that belongs in the trash romance section of a bookstore.

I showed that to a friend once and she began trying to dissect the art process. Conversation went something like this:

"Okay, that one forearm is really messed up ... I see what they did, they started by drawing the shirt, not what his body looks like underneath it ... what's that thing up in the corner?"
"Huh? Oh... that's just a vampire," said without thinking about it.
"What."

fake edit:
I'm missing something here.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I really was annoyed by Nynaeve up until her testing (which I just got to).

I kept trying to think what the third trial must be if it's so much worse than the second, and then Lan showed up and I was like :cry: Nynaeve you poor dear.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

COOL CORN posted:

I really was annoyed by Nynaeve up until her testing (which I just got to).

I kept trying to think what the third trial must be if it's so much worse than the second, and then Lan showed up and I was like :cry: Nynaeve you poor dear.

It really cements her antipathy towards all Aes Sedai, and the whole institution of the White Tower.

And then you realize every single one of them has gone through that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Vavrek posted:

fake edit:

I'm missing something here.

Lan goes by Master Andra in the first book to avoid notice, but it's part of his last name!!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

"I hate all aes sedai."

"Child, every woman who has gone through those rings has said that to me."

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I just keep being surprised how many dimensions these characters are getting. It's great.

I was going to say "sorry I'll stop gushing about the book now" but I guess this is kinda the place to do it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

COOL CORN posted:

I just keep being surprised how many dimensions these characters are getting. It's great.

I was going to say "sorry I'll stop gushing about the book now" but I guess this is kinda the place to do it.

Yeah, when I first started the series (~20 years ago, wow) everything seemed so flat and derivative in the first book and I only stuck with it because my friend insisted it was good, and she was cute. And what do ya know, she was right.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I finished listening to all of the books (except New Spring, maybe I will read that one also this time) and immediately started re-reading the series just so I can pick up on all the incredible little details I missed in the first few books.

It really takes reading the series all the way to the end to fully appreciate all the tiny little hints and seeds of plot that start from practically page one of EotW.

I suppose what I'm saying is keep reading, it's a delight, and you'll constantly be appreciating all the little details.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I enjoy how fast the series goes from "Trollocs! And a single Fade! We're all doomed!" to "A couple hundred Trollocs and a half dozen Fades - what, again? Must be Tuesday."

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

bell jar posted:

I finished listening to all of the books (except New Spring, maybe I will read that one also this time) and immediately started re-reading the series just so I can pick up on all the incredible little details I missed in the first few books.

It really takes reading the series all the way to the end to fully appreciate all the tiny little hints and seeds of plot that start from practically page one of EotW.

I suppose what I'm saying is keep reading, it's a delight, and you'll constantly be appreciating all the little details.

I'm going to recommend WoT spoilers podcast to go along with a reread since someone else in this thread got me into it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bell jar posted:

I just realised Andra = Al'Lan Mandragoran

Also Lancelot of the Lakes, etc. Names got layers!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't think it would be unreasonable for Aragorn to get corrupted to Mandragoran or vice versa over thousands of years, either. Particularly if you pronounce Aragorn with a hard r.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
In Australia the books were black with a WoT logo on the front in a different colour on each book. Much classier than the godawful US cover art.

I really liked the art they commissioned for the Ebooks though - they got a different artist for each one and TSR in particular was great.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

In Australia the books were black with a WoT logo on the front in a different colour on each book. Much classier than the godawful US cover art.

I really liked the art they commissioned for the Ebooks though - they got a different artist for each one and TSR in particular was great.

I think I have the same books. They also have a sliver of artwork on the back which I never really got the point of because you couldn't really tell what was going on. I assume that is a piece of the US cover art.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

The cover:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

UltraRed posted:

The cover:

Yes. I love that cover. All of them are pretty good though. I wish they'd kept those artworks for the paperbacks as well.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

I've been ordering the books 3 at a time via the "premium edition mass market pb" box sets. The quality of the books is good but... they all have the same variation of the WOT logo on the cover, and the backs literally all have the same text. :(

Anyway, I'm like 60% done with The Great Hunt, and it's good as hell. Thom :neckbeard:

Those are the same covers the ebook versions all got switched to, too. It makes me sad because they previously had the second run off covers for the full-size paperbacks, and those were legit beautiful.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

UltraRed posted:

The cover:

:hellyeah:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Did you have that av before that post?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

silvergoose posted:

Did you have that av before that post?

He's had that av for years.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Vavrek posted:

He's had that av for years.

Perfection, then.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

One of my favorite things about WoT is just how many layers it has. It leans almost impossibly hard into the cyclical nature of time as a narrative, with virtually every character being a reference to, or amalgamation of, multiple others both fictional and real. WoT cribs from everything, shamelessly, and treats its straight.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Galad and Gawyn are definitely names inspired by Arthurian myth right? Galahad and Gawain?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

COOL CORN posted:

Galad and Gawyn are definitely names inspired by Arthurian myth right? Galahad and Gawain?

Yes. Arthurian myth shows up throughout the series. Callandor is the Sword in the Stone (of Tear), for example. Andor (and specifically the Trakand line) has more than its fair share of Arthurian reference tho.

Norse mythology is also a heavy influencer, with Mat having strong Odin vibes and Perrin having more than a fair share of Thor.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Lan, Thom, Moiraine, Galad, Gawyn. Can't even talk about this poo poo out in the open because it would be so spoileriffic for a new reader.

I mean, ok, Moiraine dumps a lake on Lan at their first meeting.

And then, the final stab at Arthurian legend is ... so ... loving ... good.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 13, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
And now that I'm really starting to get a good look at the Aielmen, they're Celtic as all hell

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Do all paperback copies of Winter's Heart fall apart because of the size of the thing, or have I just been lucky?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

Also, from this thread last year:

Gnoman posted:

"Egwinna" is one Latinized rendering of the Welsh "Ecgwynn", which was allegedly the name of an early king of England's mother.

Vavrek posted:

So that explains it. I'd just been going with the idea I read many years ago, that "Egwene al'Vere" was deliberately not far from "Guinevere."

Layers and layers.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

quote:

"Egwene al'Vere" was deliberately not far from "Guinevere."

oh gently caress

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Every bit of old tongue is generally a pun. It helps to check the pronunciations in the appendix.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Nynaeve = nimue

Morgause

Moraine: Merlin (Merrilin)

Sang real = old French for the Holy Grail

Caemlyn / Camlaan

Etc. fractally layered.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Moraine Damodred - Mordred.

Caemlyn - Camlann, the site of Arthur's final battle. It's just all over the drat place.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Plus, well, Amyrlin

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

don't forget the famous dude literally named artur hawkwing

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Rumor is that filming for Wheel of Time is now on pause. The company that was handling extras for the shoot cancelled all their calls.

as an aside, where I work it's like everyone's holding their breath waiting for the other shoe to drop, just waiting for TPTB to call for shutdown and WFH.

Everyone stay safe, y'all

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Sang real = old French for the Holy Grail

Well gently caress, this is one I didn't know.

Doesn't Beowulf show up with a goblet-shaped Sa-Angreal at Armageddon too?

Did you pick up on Tarmon Gaidon = Armageddon?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Doesn't Beowulf show up with a goblet-shaped Sa-Angreal at Armageddon too?

FIRST TIMERS DO NOT READ Dude leads a linked army of golden scaled channellers and shoots C-beams glittering in the dark at Randland forces for the duration of The Last Battle. He's literally a loving Dragon. And Gawain and then Lancelot ride off to slay the beast.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I love Lan's internal monologue of "I can't beat this guy BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN FIGHTING FOR loving WEEKS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Rumor is that filming for Wheel of Time is now on pause. The company that was handling extras for the shoot cancelled all their calls.

as an aside, where I work it's like everyone's holding their breath waiting for the other shoe to drop, just waiting for TPTB to call for shutdown and WFH.

Everyone stay safe, y'all

That sucks, but is completely reasonable. Filming these kind of shows is not very compatible with social distancing. I hope the actors stay safe, and that filming can resume once the virus situation is somewhat under control.