Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth
I love how back in the nightmare chapter laius' group makes a big deal out of "no if you just wake them up abruptly it could cause brain damage" but when kabru is trapped in the nightmare misurn just fuckin decks him like it's nothing

also I'm hyped to find out how misurn managed to end up lord of a dungeon despite it ostensibly being their job to seal them off. maybe one of them has to usurp in order to shut it down somehow?

these two make a cute duo :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
competitive couples bowling
marcille and falin vs captain and kabru...
marcille keeps doing explosions behind the bowling ball to propel it faster while captain keeps trying to teleport it over the pins...

noether
May 1, 2017

Snooze Cruise posted:

competitive couples bowling
marcille and falin vs captain and kabru...
marcille keeps doing explosions behind the bowling ball to propel it faster while captain keeps trying to teleport it over the pins...

misurn repeatedly teleports the ball up to the ceiling as it falls until it reaches terminal velocity and then annihilates the pins in entirely the wrong lane

meanwhile laius tagged along with marcille and farlyn because he's too dense to get that he's the third wheel and spends all night talking kabru's ear off about monster trivia

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I have to say, I do find it amusing that literally every relevation in this chapter was called out in advance in this thread, from the clipped ears possibly indicating prisoner-origin vs loyalist origin Canaries to the Captain being something else entirely different for his half-cut ears, to the fact that the captain may well likely does in fact have a 'his' pronoun, and so forth.

Nicely done, thread.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
In general the fact that monsters re-appear both aids in the idea that the dungeon is an ecosystem, but also helps with character moments. Like I already said, shapeshifters help show how Kabru sees people in high detail, but also shows the Captain's disinterest in anyone else. We also got walking mushrooms both as a hazard that can survive the lack of mana on the first floor, but you also get giant walking changeling mushrooms on lower floors.

It's appropriately mixed between pallet swaps in dungeon crawlers and some kind of living environment.

noether
May 1, 2017

Brought To You By posted:

In general the fact that monsters re-appear both aids in the idea that the dungeon is an ecosystem, but also helps with character moments. Like I already said, shapeshifters help show how Kabru sees people in high detail, but also shows the Captain's disinterest in anyone else. We also got walking mushrooms both as a hazard that can survive the lack of mana on the first floor, but you also get giant walking changeling mushrooms on lower floors.

It's appropriately mixed between pallet swaps in dungeon crawlers and some kind of living environment.

yeah! I like how they kind of spelled that out explicitly with kabru and misurn picking up laius' gang's leftover gear. it's a neat torch-passing kind of moment

it'll be interesting to see how those two handle the changelings and succubi if they're still around. they might run into the completed dullahan too :suspense:

...although come to think if it, I can totally see misurn getting changeling'd having a tinge of transmisogyny/okama bullshit or whatever to it, which would suck. hopefully kui knows better :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the most interesting part is how those two are now in the general area of the main party's final showdown. that encounter was gonna be rough on laius and co no matter what. now, there are two spoilers who are each dangerous in their own way with goals that are incompatible with saving farlyn.

noether
May 1, 2017

re: that tabletop system/hack, I kinda wanna try running a basic dungeon with it to see how well it functions. if anyone here would be interested in being a player, lmk. I'm thinking of doing tomb of the serpent king with some slightly more edible monsters swapped in, in case anyone's familiar.

...I should probably post this in the traditional games board too, but I feel like this is the sort of extremely niche thing that's only gonna appeal to people who are already super invested in the manga anyway

edit: here's a post for the game so I don't derail this thread again

uh, here's some actual content, from tumblr:

noether fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 18, 2020

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
In that last panel, I feel like Misurn saying a leftover of that meal, means something more, like he is some kind of magical creation from the dungeon eating and absorbing that canary squad before, which is why he has both ears cut and the lazy eye. It also may explain his teleport power.

noether
May 1, 2017

AgentHaiTo posted:

In that last panel, I feel like Misurn saying a leftover of that meal, means something more, like he is some kind of magical creation from the dungeon eating and absorbing that canary squad before, which is why he has both ears cut and the lazy eye. It also may explain his teleport power.

it's gotta be pretty likely that whatever happened in that other dungeon is connected to misurn's eye, and probably also their missing sense of direction and inability to tell when they're tired or out of mana. my money's on it being some kind of botched resurrection or immortality thing though, like their soul isn't all the way in their body anymore or they're technically a lich or something

the recurring language of "the dungeon is a living thing that eats people" has got to be literal though

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Snooze Cruise posted:

Also I think this might end up being kinda true.

cough cough

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I really, really enjoy this comic but the three month hiatus every winter means I completely lose track of the plot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Guess that just means you have to reread the whole thing, what a shame.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
I guess it's in the title, huh?

"We... are the Delicious in Dungeon
WE are the Dungeon Meshi"

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

You can't spell delicious without us.

noether
May 1, 2017

What's the timeline look like with kabru/misurn falling back down vs. where laius' gang is? Like they fell the same day as when everyone ran into farlyn the first time, I think, and marcille remarks that someone stole the food from their dropped equipment, which seems like it could've been kabru's doing this past chapter... I bet the campground laius' party found where the succubi were is kabru and misurn too

KoB
May 1, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

its the power couple

also why is it every time a new elf is introduce they are the best elf..

They introduced the best elf in the first chapter and they havent topped her yet.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

KoB posted:

They introduced the best elf in the first chapter and they havent topped her yet.

Someday Falin will defoo top her.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i think you guys are being a bit too literal. the dungeon "eats" desires and when full overflows monsters and creates destruction

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
New chapter, big fat greek lore drop.

Edit: Well, the winged lion is a demon so in a double twist it'll be... a good demon???

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 14, 2020

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
huh, tried to get infinite energy so the ancients opened a portal and demons came out. Dungeon Meshi is basically fantasy Doom.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I think I see how things are going to go.

Laius: hey lion i really, really, really want to know something
Lion: oh boy oh boy tell me, tell me, i wanna know what do you wanna know i will tell you what you want to know!
Laius: how do you taste?
Lion: wait what
Lion: OH NO

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
god i love these two

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Some incredibly strong faces in this chapter. I appreciate Kabru abridging Misurn's incredibly dense story.

Also I still believe in Winged Lion. :colbert:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The Goat Demon bursting from the ground was an astounding visual

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

A little disappointed he doesn’t just have a natural, lazy eye. Small quote unquote imperfections like that are never seen in manga

e: D-did the elves do something to the Kobold & Oni chick? where are they

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Lube Enthusiast posted:

A little disappointed he doesn’t just have a natural, lazy eye. Small quote unquote imperfections like that are never seen in manga

e: D-did the elves do something to the Kobold & Oni chick? where are they

I think Kabru said something along the lines of, "Oh, I guess the elves have been too busy to get to them."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that two page spread is legendary.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

This is such a good manga

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Buff Misurn is everything I never knew I wanted :allears:

Also yes, goddamn, that two-page spread holy poo poo.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Misurn: Laius, where is your desire-eating demon?

Kabru: Poor little guy starved to death....

Laius: Let's eat it!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I only recognized half of the “MEANWHILE” panels. Were they all from adventures the main party had?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Misurn and Kabru are a great couple and Misurn asking Kabru what he wants to do and then running off with him was :kimchi:. The lore dump was great as well. Dungeon Meshi being fantasy Doom owns

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

Good character interactions and a lot of stuff getting explained and it is all pretty cool.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So unless there's a big fakeout (not entirely unlikely), the winged lion is a demon. Which explains why it chose Laius, because he has weird as gently caress desires. Does this mean the whole kingdom that exists down in the dungeon is another fake world? The people in there seem to have their desires eaten, which would indicate they are in fact real people even if the world itself is fake.

Winged lion says he created the dungeon at Thistle's request, though that could be simply bullshit.

Could be forgetting stuff, but I think Thistle discovered something was wrong and sealed the lion before it could eat consume any more desires. That's why he and the villagers are missing the desire for things like food but aren't completely drained.

We still don't have the slightest idea what the gently caress is up with the red dragon that turned into half of Farlyn. Maybe it swooped down into the dungeon and rescued the inhabitants from being completely consumed by the lion? And then Thistle got snapped out of it (though still largely insane) and sealed the lion right the gently caress up.

Also baffling is the end of chapter 53, in which the canaries indicate they're deliberately feeding the demon's desires for some reason?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Kabru is such a great pal to his friends.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
what was Thistle's actual stated motivation, it's been so long I can't remember

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So interestingly enough, It's Kabru and the Captain's that turned the Griffin into a Hippogriff

Tetracube posted:

So unless there's a big fakeout (not entirely unlikely), the winged lion is a demon. Which explains why it chose Laius, because he has weird as gently caress desires. Does this mean the whole kingdom that exists down in the dungeon is another fake world? The people in there seem to have their desires eaten, which would indicate they are in fact real people even if the world itself is fake.

Winged lion says he created the dungeon at Thistle's request, though that could be simply bullshit.

Could be forgetting stuff, but I think Thistle discovered something was wrong and sealed the lion before it could eat consume any more desires. That's why he and the villagers are missing the desire for things like food but aren't completely drained.

The villagers not having any taste could still be a side effect of them both being dead and thus lacking any physical bodies, and also the length of which they have been in such a state. They simply don't remember what it's like to experience those sensations although you could also be on to something there

quote:

We still don't have the slightest idea what the gently caress is up with the red dragon that turned into half of Farlyn. Maybe it swooped down into the dungeon and rescued the inhabitants from being completely consumed by the lion? And then Thistle got snapped out of it (though still largely insane) and sealed the lion right the gently caress up.

Also baffling is the end of chapter 53, in which the canaries indicate they're deliberately feeding the demon's desires for some reason?

The Canaries were doing that to give evacuate people since more desires = more monsters. But it could also have been a pretense to give themselves just cause to launch a formal invasion. The captain's disappearance and the lack of a strong Governor also led to this result.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 14, 2020

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Saw this from a thread on /a/

https://imgur.com/K5gq3gz

https://imgur.com/1N1cg9l

https://imgur.com/99Dtusr

There are a few panels where Thistle has goat-like pupils. It’s odd because they only appear for a single frame, and he has normal looking eyes for the remainder. It’s really apparent in the last image where he has one normal and one goat eye. Not sure the exact pages these chapters are from, but the first image is from chapter 55

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Jen X posted:

The Goat Demon bursting from the ground was an astounding visual

Captain Invictus posted:

that two page spread is legendary.

Mikl posted:

Also yes, goddamn, that two-page spread holy poo poo.

:hellyeah:
Yeah, that was a *really* good explanation of how bad the consequences get. It's not just 'Powerful monsters will be driven up to the surface, you also might unleash an invincible demonic kaiju