Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

widefault posted:

Because I have terrible self control and can't pass up a bargain, I now own a Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster HH with candy apple red stripe.

Also came with a hardtail plate and the original tailpiece which may or may not get reinstalled when I change strings.

After a quick play, I don't like the pickups. Neck is okay, bridge is kind of shrill. I was kind of planning to replace them anyway, thinking of a couple of WideRange HBs instead for the Lee Ranaldo vibe.

So awesome especially your choice of pickups!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Sold two amps this weekend, two things arrived today, and two more should hopefully be here by the weekend. Then I think I'm done unless some other stuff sells. Down to like $25 in my gear fund, so I fully expect to find another awesome deal that I'll have to pass on.

Couple of beat but working Boss pedals. I used to have an original CE-2 and a PH-1r a few years ago, but sold them off like an idiot. Not wanting to spend what they go for now, I grabbed these. Other than the mode select on the Phaser, I don't hear a difference from the PH-1r. The CE-3 is much the same, but with a great warbly vibrato using Output A with the stereo mode kicked in. Best to me, both combined cost less than a CE-2 of about any condition.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I regret so much not just stocking up on old boss pedals and hanging onto them.
I think I gave away every single one I've ever bought because they were so cheap.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I found my original CE-2 in a car in a junk yard when I was around 13 and it sat in a desk drawer in my room until I was 22 and bought my first electric. They were still pretty cheap at that time (I'm old), so I never paid much attention until suddenly 15 years later they were selling for well over $100. Was time to cash in then immediately regret it.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I wonder if Boss will ever do a relic line of pedals all beat up for a BluesAnaesthesiologist's board.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm pretty sure they would still be savaged on their boutique gear forum for having a buffered pedal/a boss pedal/not an original issue MIJ version on their board.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

former glory posted:

I wonder if Boss will ever do a relic line of pedals all beat up for a BluesAnaesthesiologist's board.

a better idea would be to release the same old boss pedals but put the word strymon on the case, and maybe add a digital display that just changes numbers when you press a button

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

The Muppets On PCP posted:

a better idea would be to release the same old boss pedals but put the word strymon on the case, and maybe add a digital display that just changes numbers when you press a button

$500!

Must be good *yanks credit card out*

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I thought boss was already doing that with "Waza crafted" or whatever.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Waza Craft adds actual features. :v:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
And they're also still less expensive than the average Strymon/EQD*/Catlinbread/etc boutique boardcred pedal.

*(still want a Hoof tho)

Kudos to TC for releasing their recent budget line. Not everyone's a Pediatrician, and it's nice to have access to basic but usable effects without rolling the dice on AliExpress.

And topmount IO is great more or this please.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I'm not much of a pedal man, but hell with it. I've got two pedals and one of those tiny patch cables already, may as well try linking them up. Cheap thrill. :toot:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Dewgy posted:

I'm not much of a pedal man, but hell with it. I've got two pedals and one of those tiny patch cables already, may as well try linking them up. Cheap thrill. :toot:

As long as you're not looking for serious gear, they work fine.

I've got a daisy chain of about 8 pedals with a cheapo adaptor and I've had zero problems in nearly a year.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

My order for a new toy came in yesterday finally, spent the evening messing around and falling in love with it. Always impressed with the quality of Darkglass products.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Friday, so some more junk today!

Boss TR-2. Had one years ago, sold it when I purged a bunch of stuff because I was using my Bandmaster which has tremolo built in. Gone to much smaller amps, with no tremolo, so I needed another one.

Dropped two packages off at UPS this morning, brought a big one home.

Epiphone Wilshire Pro in Aged Pelham, which is supposed to look like Pelham Blue after the clear coat turned yellow. These were from around 2010, and I think most were white or sunburst, but there was a regular Pelham Blue and Aged Pelham as well. Seems like only one or two green ones show up on Reverb each year, and they sell for basically the same price as the other colors, but that green is something.

Out of the box plays good, but the action is a little high for my tastes so it's going to get a proper setup. Feels a lot like an SG, but without the neck dive. The knob placement is terrible,, but it does have coil splits on the volume knobs. Pickups are still the stock Epiphones, which really aren't that bad.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

widefault posted:

Friday, so some more junk today!

Boss TR-2. Had one years ago, sold it when I purged a bunch of stuff because I was using my Bandmaster which has tremolo built in. Gone to much smaller amps, with no tremolo, so I needed another one.

Dropped two packages off at UPS this morning, brought a big one home.

Epiphone Wilshire Pro in Aged Pelham, which is supposed to look like Pelham Blue after the clear coat turned yellow. These were from around 2010, and I think most were white or sunburst, but there was a regular Pelham Blue and Aged Pelham as well. Seems like only one or two green ones show up on Reverb each year, and they sell for basically the same price as the other colors, but that green is something.

Out of the box plays good, but the action is a little high for my tastes so it's going to get a proper setup. Feels a lot like an SG, but without the neck dive. The knob placement is terrible,, but it does have coil splits on the volume knobs. Pickups are still the stock Epiphones, which really aren't that bad.

Stunning guitar, Steve Marriot's is a bit different here (think it's a Gibson equivalent or old style Epi headstock?) but ohhhh yeah I love this style of guitar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbJCCrcp5G8

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 13, 2020

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
He's got 1960-1963 Epiphone Coronet. Similar body shape, but with equal size horns, the 3x3 headstock, and a single P90. 1964 and later Coronets would have the same body shape and switch to the "batwing" headstock. There's also the much rarer 1958/59 Coronet which had a slab body that was just a double cut telecaster and a single Epiphone New York pickup. That one is on the list.

For the Wilshires, the originals had two P90s and the matching horns, then mini-humbuckers and this body style with the batwing headstock. There are accurate Epiphone reissues of both of those that are much more expensive.

Then there are the Olympics that had one or two Melody Maker single coils, and Crestwoods which were two and three mini-hum Wilshires with Epiphone Vibratos. Then there are the Japanese Epiphones, like four or so different versions with full size humbuckers. They got a lot of use out of that body shape.

Personal favorite, Wayne Kramer with a mini-humbucker Wilshire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDRw4BZ_hX8

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Awesome info thanks :)

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Yeah that’s rad as hell

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hi, everyone. Hope you're all doing well, under the current circumstances.

I'm back with an update on the early 80's Zion (replica of a Steve Lukather model Valley Arts guitar) that was commissioned by a local musician and traded to my Dad way back about 1984. If you saw my previous post about it you'll remember I'd been drooling over it for about 34 years and my Dad handed it down to me last November. When he had it he had taken out the original EMG pickups and put gold-covered passive pickups in there, and I admit I loved the look.

When I got it I learned that I liked the EMGs a lot, but I didn't love them. So I started the search for a passive set of more moderate gain, sorta vintage sounding pickups (and keeping the gold theme) to make it mine.

After a lot of research I went with what I knew I loved: Seymour Duncan. My favorite humbuckers are my Pearly Gates, JB, Custom, and Custom Custom. The Pearly Gates weighs in about 8.5K resistance (the JB is around 14K) and the PG sounds fantastic in parallel, so I wanted something in that range.

Seymour Duncan Custom Shop to the rescue: I special-ordered a Saturday Night Special bridge pickup (originally 9.75K) in trem-spacing with gold everything. I had them over-wind it 5% so came out to ~10.05K which is very close to a Screamin' Demon. I special ordered a HSS pickguard with a red stripe (to match the red body) and went gold on everything. EVERYTHING. All the screws, pickup covers, the pole pieces in the SD Psychedelic Strat pickups, etc. I mean, when the guitar starts out as translucent cherry, solid quilted maple, with all gold hardware... well, can you really go too far? If you say yes, you definitely won't like this. All the pickups are custom made and I don't want to disclose what they cost because it's embarrassing.

I found Q-Parts, they make dome knobs with all kinds of tops. I chose acrylic red pearl knobs. If I decide I don't like them I still have the originals to put back on.
Instead of push-pull pots I put an actual three-way on/on/on DPDT gold switch in there for seris/split/parallel on the SNS HB, I took my time to drill the hole and I like where it is.
The boring gut parts are: Mojo Tone CTS 500K vintage-taper pots (1 vol/1 tone), and an Oaks-Grigsby 5-way blade selector, and some gold mono output jack that has doubled up connectors for the cord (I forgot the name already). And some boring polystyrene tone cap and an Emerson treble-bleed assembly for the volume pot. It's mostly pre-tinned cloth covered wire. The control cavity is already lined with copper tape.

This is how the guitar looked stock, when I got it:

Here is my not so great wiring job:

And here is the finished product. Gaudy? Hell yes. Liberace gaudy. Just look.

I *love* the Saturday Night Special. It's awesome. I'm a little on the fence about the Psychedelic Strat pickups, but they do sound very good and I hope they will grow on me. This probably belongs in Stupid Music poo poo so I will cross-post it there. :)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wait a minute... AlNiCo 4???? Never seen that before. So a slightly weaker magnet than a 5 but wound hottish? Sounds like a spicy PAF?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Wait a minute... AlNiCo 4???? Never seen that before. So a slightly weaker magnet than a 5 but wound hottish? Sounds like a spicy PAF?
Yes! It has that breathiness and air, or presence of a lower-output pickup but still sounds fantastic with high gain. The pick attack is beautiful and I would liken it to the bridge version of my favorite neck pickup: the SD '59. It has guts, but it cuts through beautifully. But it has more mids, so it really talks.

Caveat: I still need more time with it, but all indications up front are very positive.

E: I suggested maybe a small overwind and the SD tech I spoke to said, "Yes. Do that. After what you've said about your '59s, this is what you want."

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 22, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I always thought of SD as a generic pickup company (which, in hindsight, what does that even mean?) until I played a friend's Heritage LP clone with SD 59s in it. It is absolutely a top 3 pickup* for me but now what you're describing is something that is even closer to what I'm looking for (which I sort of envisioned the Pearly Gates being that). I will definitely investigate these pickups, thanks dude.

*Which is to say: a properly-wound PAF is sex... which, duh.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

alnico iv: the quest for peace

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

I reckon alnico iv VGA is the better game. Plays much better without the text parser.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

alnico iv: the quest for peace: the voyage home

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Faustus, that looks awesome. The gold goes with the finish really well. Nice work.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

rickiep00h posted:

alnico iv: the quest for peace: the voyage home: citizens on patrol

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

former glory posted:

Faustus, that looks awesome. The gold goes with the finish really well. Nice work.
Thanks! I still can't believe it every time I look at it. It's even better when I pick it up and plug it in (it weighs 9 lbs, so at least 1 lb. heavier than all my other solid-bodies.)

monolithburger posted:

I reckon alnico iv VGA is the better game. Plays much better without the text parser.

rickiep00h posted:

alnico iv: the quest for peace: the voyage home
This is the good poo poo.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I always thought of SD as a generic pickup company (which, in hindsight, what does that even mean?) until I played a friend's Heritage LP clone with SD 59s in it. It is absolutely a top 3 pickup* for me but now what you're describing is something that is even closer to what I'm looking for (which I sort of envisioned the Pearly Gates being that). I will definitely investigate these pickups, thanks dude.

*Which is to say: a properly-wound PAF is sex... which, duh.

i have a les paul studio with tonerider AC4s; they're medium/medium-low output PAFs

they're definitely brighter but still rich and middy; basically exactly everything i want out of a humbucker

i also have hb-sized single coils in another guitar, custom wound by buddha; they're wound to antiquity ii jazzmaster specs but with alnico iv poles, and they're also fantastic

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
The universe is throwing deals at me again.

Late 70s Epiphone FT-120. Bolt-on neck, made in Japan. Action was terrible when I brought it home and the bridge was bottomed out. Took off the neck and shimmed it like an electric and it's pretty good.

I do take issue with the idea it's a "quality product from Norlin"

And not guitar related, but I also got this in my change at lunch since the universe likes me today.

1944 Mercury Dime. Not worth much more than it's silver melt value, but I don't think I've even gotten a coin that old in change in over 30 years.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Double post, but my b-day present to myself is here

1966ish Epiphone Olympic in sunburst with some lovely finish checking

The Epiphone version of the Melody Maker, except much more affordable and better looking. Pickup and electronics are exactly the same as what the Gibson has.

And because I had cash left after buying the above, picked up something else I always wanted that is more recent.

Squier Master Series M-80. Set neck version(there is a bolt-on also), Duncan Designed pickups, made in Korea around 2005. Kind of an SG/Strat mashup.

I have a Master Series Esprit, which is an unofficial reissue of the Robben Ford model, and this is the second of the series for me. 3 and 4 are Tele models, and more common, so I'm not in a big hurry to get those.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Both of those are gorgeous. GORGEOUS.

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?
Got this bunch of stuff today because I wanted a new bass and to upgrade my home recording setup a bit.

Bass is a Squier Classic Vibe 60' Jazz Bass.

Guitar is a Harley Benton Delta Blues, which for it's money (just under $100) is actually quite nice for noodling on the couch.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
This week it's two guitars sold off, and only one bought!

Late 60's Kalamazoo KG-1(a).

Made in Kalamzoo, MI by Gibson in response to Fender's low end guitars. Early 60s versions are shaped like Duosonics, late 60s got the SG shape. All have a bolt on neck. Came in one(KG-1) and two(KG-2) pickup configurations, with an A version that had a short Maestro Vibrola that was used on the cheap Gibsons and Epiphones as well. There are a LOT of Kalamazoos with the mounting holes, this one included, because the short Maestro was absolute trash and most people would remove and restring on the wrap-around tailpiece(also the same part Gibson & Epiphone used).

Bodies are an early version of MDF, basically sawdust and glue and has the weight to prove it. There is no neck dive on this one. This one may have been white at one point. The mounting holes for the Vibrola are there but filled in, and there is also an odd lighter red area where the Vibrola would have sat, and all the knicks are white underneath. Now, the current finish is done properly, so I wonder if it was a factory thing. Too many white KG-1As not selling, so let's strip the Vibrola and repaint red and sell a few bucks cheaper. One thing that's hard to notice is that while it has the SG shape, it doesn't have the carvings on the horns, BUT the horns do slim down. Body is around 1-1/8" thick, the horns only 3/4". It also has a belly cut.

Pickup is a Melody Maker pickup, same as the Epiphone Olympic I bought last week. I imagine the whole setup is the same.

This one is a definite player grade and the price reflected that, but even excellent condition ones rarely sell for more than $600-$700. That's still about half what the SG-shaped Gibson Melody Makers sell for on the low end.

Yes, I am a little excited about this one. Wanted one for 25 years and finally got one at a price I was willing to pay.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

New addition to my offset family: a 2012ish Fender Jaguarillo. Besides the (awesome) fading on the pickguard it looks brand new!

I have a friend that's big on trying guitars when he finds them at really great prices. This was one of them. He bought it Friday afternoon, decided he wanted to flip and not keep it, loaned it to me that evening, and I told him I couldn't let it go. So it's mine for the crazy good deal he got it for.

The pickup variations on this thing are great. I don't like the sound of two of them blended together, but the 3 single pickups all sound great on their own. I'll have to do some fiddling (or modding) to get it just right, but it's a really fun guitar to play.

Here's the whole family:

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
The Jaguarillo always looks goofy to me, it's either the slanted pickups or the big blank space on the pickguard on the upper horn.

Another week, two more guitars and an amp sold, and only one bought.

Epiphone Worn '66 Wilshire with mini-humbuckers to join the Faded Pelham Wilshire Pro and sunburst Olympic. What can I say, I am loving the hell out of these.

I've got back and shoulder issues so the lighter the guitar the better. Before these my lightest guitar was probably my 70's SG at 6.75 lb/3Kg. The green one is about 6lbs(2.75Kg), the sunburst 5.5lb(2.5Kg), and the cherry one about 5.25lb(2.4Kg).

Of course, now I want a Coronet with a P90, a two pickup Olympic, and eventually a Coronet with the New York Pickup. And this Crestwood with two New York pickups, Gonna need to sell a lot more stuff.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Putting my studio back together. The centerpiece arrived today.

Woofer fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 17, 2020

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Whoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Thank you for doing your part to stimulate the economy.