Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Ive been thinking about laius` desires, and other than rescuing Farlyn, what are his actual desires? Run the dungeon as a thriving ecosystem where monsters and castle dwellers and outsiders can live in harmony?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
This is the best drat manga. I love every single page of the last chapter, and there's almost too many things to repost that kicked rear end, that'd just be reposting every page.

But drat, that full page spread of the giant demon goat bursting out of the ground

I think Laius' desires are to learn about every monster and eat them.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

AgentHaiTo posted:

I think Laius' desires are to learn about every monster and eat them.

Winged Lion: "What is that you desire?"
Laius: "I want to eat all monsters."
Winged Lion: "Wish granted."
*Laius pulls out knife and fork*
Winged Lion: "Wait poo poo"

GrudgeOnion
Oct 25, 2010
Is this manga perfect? I think this is a perfect thing. We seem all set for the final arc after this chapter, and whatever happens it's going to be comprehensive and satisfying, the love that goes into this is just incredible.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Aw dang, that little smile on the last page. I think you missed a desire, goat monster. Telfeporter's feeling desirous.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Tetracube posted:

[spoiler]So unless there's a big fakeout (not entirely unlikely), the winged lion is a demon. Which explains why it chose Laius, because he has weird as gently caress desires. Does this mean the whole kingdom that exists down in the dungeon is another fake world? The people in there seem to have their desires eaten, which would indicate they are in fact real people even if the world itself is fake.

Winged lion says he created the dungeon at Thistle's request, though that could be simply bullshit.

Could be forgetting stuff, but I think Thistle discovered something was wrong and sealed the lion before it could eat consume any more desires. That's why he and the villagers are missing the desire for things like food but aren't completely drained.

We still don't have the slightest idea what the gently caress is up with the red dragon that turned into half of Farlyn. Maybe it swooped down into the dungeon and rescued the inhabitants from being completely consumed by the lion? And then Thistle got snapped out of it (though still largely insane) and sealed the lion right the gently caress up.

The people in the fake world still have desires they are just completely numb to things like taste as a consequence of living so long in a small unchanging bubble.

The dragon is just a monster Thistle tied directly to the dungeon. Farlyn just ended up connected to it because her body was in such poor shape they had to use the dragon's meat to help the spell and Marcielle used the equivellent of necromancy instead of the revival spell to bring her back which mixed their beings together. Thistle then had her changed to the harpy dragon thing so she could defend the dungeon in the dragons place.

Tetracube posted:

what was Thistle's actual stated motivation, it's been so long I can't remember
The king he originally served was assassinated so he became obsessed with protecting the king's son and by extension his kingdom.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

yum posted:

Saw this from a thread on /a/

https://imgur.com/K5gq3gz

https://imgur.com/1N1cg9l

https://imgur.com/99Dtusr

There are a few panels where Thistle has goat-like pupils. It’s odd because they only appear for a single frame, and he has normal looking eyes for the remainder. It’s really apparent in the last image where he has one normal and one goat eye. Not sure the exact pages these chapters are from, but the first image is from chapter 55

That's a crazy attention to detail from the creator. Flipping through, I just noticed that Thistle's magic tome also has a goat eye.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I believe that Laius will accomplish his dreams.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Squidster posted:

That's a crazy attention to detail from the creator. Flipping through, I just noticed that Thistle's magic tome also has a goat eye.

Alternatively, the book and the lion were both the same entity originally until Thistle separated them and kept the "power" locked up while binding the demon to a tome. It's worth pointing out there is a winged Lion within the Ars Goetia named Vapula so it's not like the lion isn't from the Doom Hell dimension in some way.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the reunion is going to have a lot to look forward to, Laius and Kabru meeting up again, Captain meeting Laius, seeing if Marcille's family background gets brought up with the Canaries.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Brought To You By posted:

Alternatively, the book and the lion were both the same entity originally until Thistle separated them and kept the "power" locked up while binding the demon to a tome. It's worth pointing out there is a winged Lion within the Ars Goetia named Vapula so it's not like the lion isn't from the Doom Hell dimension in some way.
The lion's final form:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Can Of Worms posted:

The lion's final form:

Forgot that Buer also made an appearance.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Can Of Worms posted:

The lion's final form:

When a Buer rolls along
You must whip it

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Maybe I'm missing something, but was Misurn actually the lord of the dungeon? He went there with the rest of the canaries got into the room where he broke the mirror, and was then found in the same room by those same canaries.

Were the things that were shown while he was the dungeon lord actually happen?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

SITB posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but was Misurn actually the lord of the dungeon? He went there with the rest of the canaries got into the room where he broke the mirror, and was then found in the same room by those same canaries.

Were the things that were shown while he was the dungeon lord actually happen?

The two who found him were part of his team, but he was shown to have found the mirror by itself.

Since his lover was actually a Lamia, it probably happened. The mirror room was also all messed up.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The art in this is just perfect. The characters are so cute that just watching them talk makes me smile, but they're also so expressive when it switches to drama or horror. The closest comparison I can think of is Naoki Urasawa.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
lol at misurn thinking he wasn't able to sleep without a magic spell but in reality just needed somebody to tuck him in all nice

and then kabru immediately wakes him up to make him take a poo poo

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

The two who found him were part of his team, but he was shown to have found the mirror by itself.

Since his lover was actually a Lamia, it probably happened. The mirror room was also all messed up.

His lover didn't appear as a Lamia initially though, only later when the goat grew stronger, and the entire thing seems like an illusion given the fact that he seemingly haven't left the room where he found the mirror and how he was shown to thinking he warded off some robbers outside and yet spent all his time in the same room. Like, Thistle moves around in the dungeon but Misurn was seemingly confined to one room despite being the dungeon lord which strikes me as odd.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SITB posted:

His lover didn't appear as a Lamia initially though, only later when the goat grew stronger, and the entire thing seems like an illusion given the fact that he seemingly haven't left the room where he found the mirror and how he was shown to thinking he warded off some robbers outside and yet spent all his time in the same room. Like, Thistle moves around in the dungeon but Misurn was seemingly confined to one room despite being the dungeon lord which strikes me as odd.

It might depend on their respective desires. Thistle is, like, looking for the king, wants to keep other people out and protect the kingdom, and all that. Misurn, meanwhile, just wanted a different life and wasn't concerned with the outside world, thus having no reason to leave. Heck, for all we know Misurn could have left, but just didn't.

Could also depend on the particular demon doing things. Or it's because Thistle somehow locked up the winged lion or whatever that was.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

SITB posted:

We never see her having a normal lower body and the panel after we first see her, Misurn has her snake body right next him. Just before he goes after the gold collectors.
The other elves who joined him don't show up again, one lying dead next to the collectors.

Kabru left out too much details.

Roland Jones posted:

It might depend on their respective desires. Thistle is, like, looking for the king, wants to keep other people out and protect the kingdom, and all that. Misurn, meanwhile, just wanted a different life and wasn't concerned with the outside world, thus having no reason to leave. Heck, for all we know Misurn could have left, but just didn't.

Could also depend on the particular demon doing things. Or it's because Thistle somehow locked up the winged lion or whatever that was.

Yeah, Thistle keeps the Winged Lion under control. The goat was done with Misurn in short time.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Lube Enthusiast posted:

A little disappointed he doesn’t just have a natural, lazy eye. Small quote unquote imperfections like that are never seen in manga

That kinda bummed me out too because it was literally the first time I saw representation of this, for myself

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth
so like, misurn and kabru are thinking specifically about Laius as especially susceptible to demons, right? But I think basically everyone in that group really is. they all have weird desires and hangups that’d be prime demon bait:

- Laius has his hyperfixation on monsters and being that particular kind of transhumanist furry
- Marcille has all kinds of baggage about her human family and friends growing old and dying while she's still young, as per the nightmare encounter
- Chilchack has the thing with his family
- Senshi could probably be tempted by something about the miner guys he used to hang out with
- Izutsumi is izutsumi

Like every one of them is super fuckin susceptible to getting manipulated like that. Although I think like in general anyone who makes it that deep into the dungeon must have Issues on some level. Kabru and misurn have their respective revenge fantasies going on too, after all, and most canaries are screwups who messed with demons/black magic previously, too. plus like, nobody becomes an adventurer in the first place because their life is going according to plan.

And a lot of the monsters on the last two levels have specifically dealt with desires and insecurities, to speed that process up and get anyone thinking about what a particular winged lion could do for them

I think it'd be kinda neat if towards the end we get a sequence like the bit with the anti-spiral from gurren lagann, where the whole cast is just stuck in whatever dream worlds appeal to them and have to figure out how to break out

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
good desires aren't mundane. it's why misurn was a failed host.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

noether posted:

so like, misurn and kabru are thinking specifically about Laius as especially susceptible to demons, right? But I think basically everyone in that group really is. they all have weird desires and hangups that’d be prime demon bait:

- Laius has his hyperfixation on monsters and being that particular kind of transhumanist furry
- Marcille has all kinds of baggage about her human family and friends growing old and dying while she's still young, as per the nightmare encounter
- Chilchack has the thing with his family
- Senshi could probably be tempted by something about the miner guys he used to hang out with
- Izutsumi is izutsumi

Like every one of them is super fuckin susceptible to getting manipulated like that. Although I think like in general anyone who makes it that deep into the dungeon must have Issues on some level. Kabru and misurn have their respective revenge fantasies going on too, after all, and most canaries are screwups who messed with demons/black magic previously, too. plus like, nobody becomes an adventurer in the first place because their life is going according to plan.

And a lot of the monsters on the last two levels have specifically dealt with desires and insecurities, to speed that process up and get anyone thinking about what a particular winged lion could do for them

I think it'd be kinda neat if towards the end we get a sequence like the bit with the anti-spiral from gurren lagann, where the whole cast is just stuck in whatever dream worlds appeal to them and have to figure out how to break out

Even though the others have their own motivations, the Winged Lion choosing Laius is really similar to Misurn and the demon goat.

Misurn also had his own group of companions, and despite Kabru's truncation of the story, we're told that they had their own motivations and complex relationships. In the end, they all died off one by one. The dungeon demon may manipulate other but I suspect it likes to latch on to one individual. Seems like something simiar could happen to Laius and the party as well.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Itsuzumi tries to pull the same 'two souls two desires' trick on the demon that saved her from succubi, but it just gives fish and headpats, and bith are satisfied.

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

good desires aren't mundane. it's why misurn was a failed host.

I mean yeah, but like marcille's anxieties about death and farlyn's failed resurrection in the nightmare chapter seem like a pretty clear parallel to what thistle's demon was latching onto, and ditto for chilchack's family/misurn's love interest. the "mundane" desires misurn mentions are things like material wealth and biological needs. it seems like most of the party's baggage is more abstract and personal than that, which at the very least puts them on the menu.

also I think the thing that made misurn a "failed" host and thistle a more "successful" one is that thistle probably designed the dungeon themselves and knows enough about dungeoneering to keep the lion trapped down in the basement while they're drawing power from each other, whereas misurn was a guileless idiot who just hung out with the goat itself constantly. the goat had a much easier time finishing misurn off because of that, which is probably what it actually wanted. meanwhile it seems like the lion is pretty pissed about being contained by thistle's dungeon and needs to leech off laius (and potentially others) directly in order to break out

yum posted:

Even though the others have their own motivations, the Winged Lion choosing Laius is really similar to Misurn and the demon goat.

Misurn also had his own group of companions, and despite Kabru's truncation of the story, we're told that they had their own motivations and complex relationships. In the end, they all died off one by one. The dungeon demon may manipulate other but I suspect it likes to latch on to one individual. Seems like something similar could happen to Laius and the party as well.

the winged lion is also presumably feeding on thistle though, so it seems like they can have hosts in addition to the primary lord. plus from how the sequence on the first level a while back went, it seems like the desires of everyone in the dungeon are being cultivated to some extent or another.

because kabru apparently edits down the story so much, it's hard to say for sure if misurn was purposefully singled out by that demon, or if they were just conveniently separated from the others when they found the mirror, or if the goat went on to try tempting other canaries after misurn let it out, etc.

...though if demons do prefer to latch onto one person, laius has all kinds of weird, complicated desires ranging from "I want a second head and to be able to breathe ice and fire" to "I want a world where farlyn and I can belong for once" that probably outperform a lot of the stuff the others have going on. plus he knows absolutely nothing about demons or dungeon design, so he'd probably be a much easier mark than thistle

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Remember, a balanced diet is key to a healthy life.

A survey of adventurer's found that they all brought similar desires into the dungeon: Wealth. Fame. Power (and Other.) It's a crying shame!
Just adding a side of 'i wish i wasn't half-beast anymore' or 'i don't want to see my friends die of old age before i do' would make a huge difference. Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Just blindly stuffing your face isn't enough.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Has anyone else pointed out that the elf that goes to put Misurn out of his misery (Milsril) is the same one that rescued/trained Kabru?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

big dyke energy posted:

Has anyone else pointed out that the elf that goes to put Misurn out of his misery (Milsril) is the same one that rescued/trained Kabru?

She is, and she has a plush cat with her, and "trains" kabru with dolls.

-e-
Another hint Misurn wasn't just hallucinating: He's wearing different clothes after being left for dead than when he found the goat.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 16, 2020

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure it's been pointed out but the criminal canaries with their complicated histories probably actually do serve as early warning systemsto the group due to acting as demon bait. Canaries in the coal mine.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
wonder what the captain's status is. Becoming dungeon lord and getting eaten seems like criminal behaviour, but, well, he's the one in charge of the group.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Here's my guesses on how things could go down:

- There's actually two demons, the winged lion and whatever's possessing the book Thistle has. Winged lion turns out to be a benevolent demon, and the book demon trapped it since it's the only thing capable of stopping it. Laius frees the winged lion, stops Thistle and there's no betrayals whatsoever.

- The winged lion is actually manipulating Laius, and is out to eat people's desires like what happened to Misurn. However, Laius and company will convince it to give up on that plan and reform by cooking good food for it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
here are my predictions:
marcille will kiss her gf

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

amigolupus posted:

Here's my guesses on how things could go down:

- There's actually two demons, the winged lion and whatever's possessing the book Thistle has. Winged lion turns out to be a benevolent demon, and the book demon trapped it since it's the only thing capable of stopping it. Laius frees the winged lion, stops Thistle and there's no betrayals whatsoever.

- The winged lion is actually manipulating Laius, and is out to eat people's desires like what happened to Misurn. However, Laius and company will convince it to give up on that plan and reform by cooking good food for it.

Option 3: a delicious winged lion stew

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Just lol if you think there won't be at least one food made out of demon before the manga ends.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
So apparently a few months back Ryoko Kui published a little folding booklet intended to mirror a journal Senshi was keeping. It's since been translated (don't know who, sorry) and posted on /a/, so I figured someone should post it here.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Surprise! Senshi is extremely good boy, as if that was ever in question...:3:

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
This manga would get slightly lamer if the lion was right and Laius was the Chosen One to be the Good Ruler of the Dungeon so I choose to believe he's a lying demon

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Bad Seafood posted:

So apparently a few months back Ryoko Kui published a little folding booklet intended to mirror a journal Senshi was keeping. It's since been translated (don't know who, sorry) and posted on /a/, so I figured someone should post it here.

They skipped a bunch of the handwritten bits. Senshi mistakes Chilchak for Laius' little brother, then crosses it out later. He also has to try several times to get his name right.
Izutsumi's lessons are a mixed bag but as of the last page, she's gotten the hang of Walking Upright and Basic Conversation, but her table manners are still a work in progress, especially posture and chewing with her mouth closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Everything about that journal owns