Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Star Wars is kind of weird emotionally. Luke's family dies and Leia's planet is blown up and they kind of just get on with things and never mention it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Ingmar terdman posted:

I know the line about children wanting to see it again would give it away as not being about 9

The bigger giveaway was praise for the double sunset

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

2house2fly posted:

Star Wars is kind of weird emotionally. Luke's family dies and Leia's planet is blown up and they kind of just get on with things and never mention it again
"Written and directed by George Lucas."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

General Dog posted:

The bigger giveaway was praise for the double sunset

So help me I swear the TRoS ends with a double sunset but I will not watch another second of it to confirm

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Payndz posted:

"Written and directed by George Lucas."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Barudak posted:

So help me I swear the TRoS ends with a double sunset but I will not watch another second of it to confirm

It does, but nobody would call that the high point of the movie; they’d call it a desperate attempt to have the audience leave feeling something other than bewilderment at the 150 minutes of nonsense that preceded it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

General Dog posted:

It does, but nobody would call that the high point of the movie; they’d call it a desperate attempt to have the audience leave feeling something other than bewilderment at the 150 minutes of nonsense that preceded it.
It's just like the best moment in the prequels was Obi Wan handing Luke off and Double Sunset playing. Except here it seems cheap and forced and ineffective.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

General Dog posted:

its still probably the high point, i dont know what the gently caress else was

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

mastershakeman posted:

It's not a question of height, but one of width

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

mastershakeman posted:

Adam Driver's shrug was great, as was most of the force-bond stuff (which was one of the only things that actually build on TLJ).

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I still have no idea how they decided on those pants. It's really hard not to see Kylo as having an extremely short and wide torso.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The Dark Short Of The Width

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
One realizes that if Abrams had just, like, sketched a loving plot outline after TFA with some points here and there, instead of going 'ooooh vague mystery box what can it be tune in 4 years later and find out' we would have been spared a lot of poo poo.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
So I watched the new movie for the first time last night. It's bad and all but for some reason what really stuck out to me is the aimbot-level accuracy the good guys had. At first I thought they were insane for boarding a drat Star Destroyer with three people but apparently these guys can one shot stormtroopers all day long.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

CFox posted:

So I watched the new movie for the first time last night. It's bad and all but for some reason what really stuck out to me is the aimbot-level accuracy the good guys had. At first I thought they were insane for boarding a drat Star Destroyer with three people but apparently these guys can one shot stormtroopers all day long.

Hasn’t that been the long running joke for all the movies? The good dues always hit their marks, the stormtroopers can’t aim for poo poo?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Cartoon Man posted:

Hasn’t that been the long running joke for all the movies? The good dues always hit their marks, the stormtroopers can’t aim for poo poo?

Not so much that the main characters always hit their shots, more that the stormtroopers are just worthless and can't hit anything. Luke, Han, Leia, and Chewie definitely miss some shots in the OT.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Right, I'm not expecting the bad guys to hit their shots and kill the good guys here but literally each time the good guys pull the trigger it's a kill. Not even the usual firing wildly and getting some hits. It's a pretty minor thing compared to all the other things I didn't like about the movie but it's one of those things that once I noticed it the first time I saw it all throughout the movie.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

That's people misunderstand ANH. The Stormtroopers are herding them because they want to follow them to the rebel base. This has become Stormtroopers area insurable of hitting people despite all the people they kill at the beginning of ANH.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Little Death posted:

That's people misunderstand ANH. The Stormtroopers are herding them because they want to follow them to the rebel base. This has become Stormtroopers area insurable of hitting people despite all the people they kill at the beginning of ANH.

They also manage to hit Leia in Return of the Jedi.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Have we ever seen an instance of Stormtrooper armor preventing injury? It can’t even protect them from rocks and wooden spears, much less blaster fire.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

General Dog posted:

Have we ever seen an instance of Stormtrooper armor preventing injury? It can’t even protect them from rocks and wooden spears, much less blaster fire.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Captain Phasma's armour deflects blasters in episode 8, though obviously it's a one of a kind custom skin

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

2house2fly posted:

Captain Phasma's armour deflects blasters in episode 8, though obviously it's a one of a kind custom skin

Probably made out of that Mandalorian metal, I forget what it's called.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's made out of Sheev's yacht.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I also rewatched TRoS despite already deciding it was the worst Star Wars movie of all time. But hey, I was kinda intoxicated and maybe I would like it more if I just enjoyed the ride. Nope, ride is unenjoyable.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is it on Disney+ yet? I have some acid in my freezer.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Probably made out of that Mandalorian metal, I forget what it's called.

I can't be assed to look it up to confirm, but apparently her armor was made from a Naboo Starfighter.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can't be assed to look it up to confirm, but apparently her armor was made from a Naboo Starfighter.

wookieepedia posted:

Phasma wore armor coated in chromium salvaged from a Naboo yacht once owned by the Galactic Empire's Emperor Palpatine.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Between sheev and padme almost every main character has naboo in their family tree

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

2house2fly posted:

I feel like her and Lor San Tekka are the biggest wastes of characters in the whole sequel trilogy.
They're just totally nothingy.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is there any chance that Von Sydow was originally supposed to play Snoke?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Yeah, he was hired to play Snoke but then he turned up on the wrong day babbling about how "This will begin to make things right" and calling himself Lor San Tekka. Luckily they had the cameras on and they were able to salvage the performance into a new opening scene for the movie.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Glottis posted:

I also rewatched TRoS despite already deciding it was the worst Star Wars movie of all time. But hey, I was kinda intoxicated and maybe I would like it more if I just enjoyed the ride. Nope, ride is unenjoyable.

I dunno, I had a very enjoyable time laughing at how ludicrously bad it was in the theater. Comedy film of the year imo

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Taear posted:

I feel like her and Lor San Tekka are the biggest wastes of characters in the whole sequel trilogy.
They're just totally nothingy.

Maz Kanata.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I mean in general they wasted having Lupita Nyong'o involved in Star Wars at all.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Yeah Max would have been a great Snoke. At least that would be something.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They completely wasted Ming the Merciless!

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Detective No. 27 posted:

This is because a blaster bolt reflects off of Anakin's fighter that one time in TPM isn't it? Except they're idiots and failed to notice that was because he got the shields back up (there is a blur around the ship showing this after he says the shields are up).

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Mooey Cow posted:

This is because a blaster bolt reflects off of Anakin's fighter that one time in TPM isn't it? Except they're idiots and failed to notice that was because he got the shields back up (there is a blur around the ship showing this after he says the shields are up).

Calm down. No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

General Dog posted:

It does, but nobody would call that the high point of the movie

It was over, I can't think of a higher point.

TheKirbs fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 17, 2020