Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Samurai 8 is dead as of issue 17.

Burn the Witch is getting a manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
That is honestly a fair trade-off.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Latest 7 deadly sins
Babies for half the cast!

Mulderman posted:

I'm not surprised. I see no one talking about it and really Naruto really wasn't good after the Chuunin exam. Reading through it currently on a daily basis and it's so easy to see it going the wrong way.

I look forward to more Kubo shenanigans. Trumpet Owl Flamingo Centaur when?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mulderman posted:

Don't forget they're adapting Bleach's Thousand Year Blood War arc too!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wonder if they'll try to improve it or leave it as the original tedious mess?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

a straight adaption would be painfully awful. especially the ending

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Electric Phantasm posted:

Don't forget they're adapting Bleach's Thousand Year Blood War arc too!

Good god I hope they fix it in the process

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

By telling a completely different story?

This arc sucked in the manga and no amount of tweaking can fix this broken mess of a story.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like Samurai 8's problem is a unique one that came about because Kishimoto made a fully fleshed-out universe once already. He fell into the trap of wanting all the details Naruto had at the end in S8 at the start, so you get the never-ending info dumps instead of spacing things out. It's like if Naruto told you about how the schools and ranks work as well as the other ninja nations and Akatsuki and the origin of ninjutsu all in the first two volumes instead of over a period of years.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

idk I think the main issue with samurai 8 was a combination of busy art and a meh cast

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mulderman posted:

This arc sucked in the manga and no amount of tweaking can fix this broken mess of a story.

If they rewrite the entire thing then it has a chance.
Theyre going to have to remove a LOT of characters however.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
When that BTW series comes out, I hope that Shonen Then and Now image gets updated with it taking Bleach's place.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Mulderman posted:

Allegedly a lot of content was left out due to Kubo's deteriorating health and need to wrap up the series. Severely doubt any of that will fix things, but I try to remain optimistic.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SpazmasterX posted:

Allegedly a lot of content was left out due to Kubo's deteriorating health and need to wrap up the series. Severely doubt any of that will fix things, but I try to remain optimistic.

Yeah a lot of people think Bleach got canceled and that's why that arc turns into a huge rushed mess. (It didn't, even at its lowest point it was still moving 2 million+ copies annually) but judging from things Kubo said a year or so after the ending it was more along the lines of his doctor telling him he needed to stop or he'd die and he still ended up in the hospital after finishing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

im going to read bleach

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

dogsicle posted:

im going to read bleach
better you than me

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

dogsicle posted:

im going to read bleach

may I suggest drinking it instead

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i already like the bount arc, i cannot be stopped in any way

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

dogsicle posted:

i already like the bount arc, i cannot be stopped in any way

The bount arc was Anime filler. Also I'd say the Fullbring arc is like, the actual narrative low point of BLEACH.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I remember once in the middle of the fullbringer arc I won a bet I made with a friend, I edited a few chapters together (like three or four) streamlining the narrative and made a single normal length chapter out of them.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I started watching the Beastars anime.

I knew nothing about it other than seeing the manga covers with animal people in suits on them. Based entirely on this, I had assumed it was an animal-people office comedy.

Jesus loving Christ, I was wrong. It's good though

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Julias posted:

Also I'd say the Fullbring arc is like, the actual narrative low point of BLEACH.

I just finished that. I didn't much care for it but I didn't actively resent it either despite it taking a dozen or so chapters too many to resolve.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hey I get to post this Bleach Thousand Year War in A Nutshell!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what has this thread done to you to deserve such a thing?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

what has this thread done to you to deserve such a thing?
I didn't drop bleach till the Fullbring arc. Shame on loving me. :psypop:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I started watching the Beastars anime.

I knew nothing about it other than seeing the manga covers with animal people in suits on them. Based entirely on this, I had assumed it was an animal-people office comedy.

Jesus loving Christ, I was wrong. It's good though

That niche is already filed by Aggretsuko

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Grouchio posted:

God drat my phone isn't big enougj for this majestic picture.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Grouchio posted:

It's missing the conclusion though. It is at least a good reminder of the high points of the arc....and the wtf points.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
that image conveys very well that you need about four brain cells max to enjoy bleach

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

If anything is to be praised about Bleach its the art.
Its really clean, well defined lines, and how Kubo does harsh lighting is all really really good and belies a deep appreciation for the format his work will end up in.

Bleach was specifically done to look stunning in tankobon format with pristine white pages.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Rigged Death Trap posted:

If anything is to be praised about Bleach its the art.
Its really clean, well defined lines, and how Kubo does harsh lighting is all really really good and belies a deep appreciation for the format his work will end up in.

Bleach was specifically done to look stunning in tankobon format with pristine white pages.

If I recall, that was one of the most harshly criticized things about him was his art. Incredible illustrator and character artist and designer, but unremarkable backgrounds especially when compared to his generational contemporaries Oda and Kishimoto.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a deliberate choice. kubo's perfectly capable of either drawing backgrounds himself or leaving it to assistants, but he doesn't want to.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

God drat my phone isn't big enougj for this majestic picture.

My phone can't even render it at a readable size because imgur is loving garbage and I'm not downloading their app.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SpazmasterX posted:

My phone can't even render it at a readable size because imgur is loving garbage and I'm not downloading their app.

Their app is trash and they got rid of the decent mobile site to try to push people towards it. I literally pull up the desktop site on phone if I need to use imgur. It's that bad.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's a deliberate choice. kubo's perfectly capable of either drawing backgrounds himself or leaving it to assistants, but he doesn't want to.

Rereading years later, I actually like the minimalist backgrounds now. It's very stylish.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Kubo can draw cool characters, but that's really it imo.

Like he keeps reusing the same action shots (How many times have we seen someone pop up from behind while the person in front reacts in shock?) He has poor panel flow and generally wastes a lot of space.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In my old age I honestly kind of prefer simpler backgrounds. One Piece may be impressive in the amount of detail drawn, but it's just visually overwhelming a lot of the time. I stopped reading it quite a while back so I don't know how it is now, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kubo's really good at character design, but i think making 200 distinct characters who all wear the same black outfit kind of broke him.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

chumbler posted:

In my old age I honestly kind of prefer simpler backgrounds. One Piece may be impressive in the amount of detail drawn, but it's just visually overwhelming a lot of the time. I stopped reading it quite a while back so I don't know how it is now, though.

It's pretty much been the same, maybe just a tad bit less busy, though since the current arc is based around Feudal Japan, there's been some absolutely gorgeous bits of art meant to evoke classic pieces from that era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Man, the final arc of Bleach is throwing thousands of "everything you know is wrong" scenes at me and there's still so drat many chapters to go. When the train wreck happens its going to be impressive.

Still, it's nowhere near as bad as what happened to Shokugeki no Souma.