Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Oh for the record Gon is another example of a protagonist with a generally flat character arc except the manga is occasionally more keen to explore that slightly (particularly more early on)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Like it’s not like Dragonball isn’t filled with extremely popular but extremely flawed characters.

Look at Vegeta

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Namtab posted:

Oh for the record Gon is another example of a protagonist with a generally flat character arc except the manga is occasionally more keen to explore that slightly (particularly more early on)

Hunter is more about Killua realistically and I’m pretty sure gon is only there for his part I’m the chimera ant arc.

Though hunter plays around with main character narcissist more which is fun

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hunter is more about Killua realistically and I’m pretty sure gon is only there for his part I’m the chimera ant arc.

Though hunter plays around with main character narcissist more which is fun

gon was the main character and then his arc finished. killua's arc ended too but kind of suddenly because they dropped his having a sister he cares deeply for out of nowhere (so gon's arc could finish by healing him)

now it's kurapika's turn to have his arc finished (probably by wasting his life in pursuit of revenge against tsserrensicjsjfich and the spiders) but lol if we'll ever see that happen

leo is cool but hardly matters. he doesn't get to finish medical school, his only goal, he gets to be shanghai'd onto a death trip to danger world

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Goku being literally pure of heart and at the same time kinda very messed up and dumb as bricks is something that I feel is a key part of the Toriyama humor. It's cynical in a goofy way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

gon was the main character and then his arc finished. killua's arc ended too but kind of suddenly because they dropped his having a sister he cares deeply for out of nowhere (so gon's arc could finish by healing him)

now it's kurapika's turn to have his arc finished (probably by wasting his life in pursuit of revenge against tsserrensicjsjfich and the spiders) but lol if we'll ever see that happen

leo is cool but hardly matters. he doesn't get to finish medical school, his only goal, he gets to be shanghai'd onto a death trip to danger world

Eh healing him facilitated the end of Gons arc but his arc began with the chimera Ant Arc and ended with the election arc.

His arc was accepting both the help of his friends and dealing with his absolutely crushing guilt.

Before that he didn’t really have an arc more a plot line to give the story some narrative focus

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

mycot posted:

Goku being literally pure of heart and at the same time kinda very messed up and dumb as bricks is something that I feel is a key part of the Toriyama humor. It's cynical in a goofy way.

A lot of the humor from kid Goku was that he was always kind of an idiot who was oblivious to social norms, including concepts like gender roles, marriage and even money. Still kind of is.

His parental figure(s) basically taught him two things: how to survive and how to fight.

He's a feral child who grew up to be an adrenaline junkie in a universe where one of the first villains he ever met could turn you into a carrot and it only got crazier from there.

It's a miracle he turned out half as okay as he did.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Kurapika seems to have largely given up on the Spiders. (Though if he finds out they are on the ship he likely won't ignore them despite wanting to.) And he is not interested in revenge against Tsreid, he just wants to take the eyes from him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Luffy's kind of a refinement of Goku given he has less of an alien mindset and more that he knows exactly what he wants out of life, but he's still a kind and empathetic person, and not quite as dumb as he looks. Unlike Goku, he's a surprisingly excellent judge of character, and he knows his limitations- he doesn't want to be a hero because he doesn't consider himself selfless enough to be a proper one, and he doesn't want any more authority than his little crew who are his friends because he doesn't want the responsibility that's more than he can handle. Though kind of a theme in One Piece is it seems like Oda is trying to learn from Dragon Ball's mistakes. Also they did have a crossover, and Luffy can ride the Flying Nimbus.

I think the Nimbus and general idea of being pure of heart is more tied in with Eastern philosophies, especially given the Buddhist roots of the whole Monkey King legend- that being spiritually pure isn't necessarily the same as being a good or heroic person, and the portrayal of the gods is also more in line with Eastern ideas that they're less moral paragons and more entities doing a job. Even the gods are flawed, and the world is better when gods and mortals work together to make it so- and probably one of Goku's best traits is that he's willing to be friendly with anyone up to the literal King of Everything. He brings out people's best traits because of his friendliness making him someone they can relax around.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Unrelated:
https://twitter.com/_Matural/status/1238502952752386048

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
My friend was at the thrift shop and found this and bought it for me. I'm pretty loving hyped. $2!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

World Martial Arts champion Mr. Satan states: "It's a hoax! A trick! He just doesn't want to face me!" and ran indoors immediately.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Mister Satan would take the coronavirus seriously and tell everyone or practice proper hygiene and social distancing, nipping its spread in the bud

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

a cartoon duck posted:

Mister Satan would take the coronavirus seriously and tell everyone or practice proper hygiene and social distancing, nipping its spread in the bud

This, only Vegeta would try first, and everyone would be, "I don't know this guy! Let's do the complete opposite instead!"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A new manga chapter is out:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dragon-ball-super-chapter-58/chapter/20105?action=read

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Aw man, the B-team is done.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Goku saving Yamcha from jobbing. :)

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1006526
Convenience link for those outside US, or wherever Viz is available in.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Goddamn. They really just can't let anyone from the b-team have a nice solid win, huh? Though it does bode well for 'Geets that he's gonna be the last on the scene, which maybe means he might get his own nice W on a villain. Wishful thinking. It would be kinda funny if Goku just ends up trouncing Moro before Vegeta can even show up.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm kind of unconvinced of how to feel about Goku being able to use UI -Sign- at will. It was nice to have it as a skill that only appears when most needed, and it's a gigantic power boost that puts him way ahead of anyone else in a way not even Super Saiyan really did. Whatever Vegeta gets needs to be ridiculously big to keep up, and it's pretty drat sad when they were finally at the same level with Blue Kaio-ken and Evolution in the anime, or Vegeta was even ahead here since the Kaio-ken does not exist.

I also don't think I like Sign even being properly mentioned as a transformation instead of an incomplete version of another. Overall this whole thing is something I knew would happen eventually and I know complaining about power creep in Dragon Ball is ridiculous but I'm not convinced about this.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Slightly Absurd posted:

Goddamn. They really just can't let anyone from the b-team have a nice solid win, huh? Though it does bode well for 'Geets that he's gonna be the last on the scene, which maybe means he might get his own nice W on a villain. Wishful thinking. It would be kinda funny if Goku just ends up trouncing Moro before Vegeta can even show up.

Vegeta's gonna do exactly what he did in the Buu saga and get his rear end stomped in to buy Goku time to power up whatever super move he's gonna use to win this thing

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm not even clear in how ui is going to stop Moro from snacking on Goku energy

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Did they not go Blue against Moro the first time? Why was he so surprised?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Darth TNT posted:

Probably "it's an angelic technique thus it's Ki Moro cannot take".

New Leaf posted:

Did they not go Blue against Moro the first time? Why was he so surprised?

I was confused by this at first but I realized it after reading, Moro isn't confused at Blue's existence, he's confused because he did see Goku beating up Saganbo and he had black hair due to UI -Sign-. He's confused because he expected Goku to keep using that and instead he used a weaker form.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
My least favorite parts of Super are when Piccolo acknowledges how useless he's become. C'mon man, even Tien pretends.

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Gohan or Piccolo say they couldn’t sense him when he was fighting, so my guess is it gives him the same protection buu has.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Piccolo at least seems dissatisfied with it this chapter.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

TheHan posted:

My least favorite parts of Super are when Piccolo acknowledges how useless he's become. C'mon man, even Tien pretends.

I know, they had a really good thing going with the Gohan/Piccolo tag team. I hope that doesn’t get shunted off into the background.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Man, this chapter is the most gruesome Dragonball has been in a long time. The little flecks of blood coming off from Saganbo's muscles falling apart as he tries to attack Goku are brutal.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

While the B-Team didn't get a total win, I do respect that it showed them as having been more than capable of winning - but Moro's real danger is that since he can eat planets whole, he can juice up ANYONE to become an absolute world-wrecking danger, simply because he has so much planetary ki stored up to pass out. Imagine him reaching a point where he has an entire army of Saganbos. He could wipe out universes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Piccolo at least seems dissatisfied with it this chapter.

just loving on train with Whis Piccolo. You're literally half god half demon, go get some of that god juice.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Uncorking UI now makes me think Goku ain't winning this one, though it's not like 'Goku doesn't beat arc villain' is that big a twist in Dragon Ball now.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Black August posted:

While the B-Team didn't get a total win, I do respect that it showed them as having been more than capable of winning - but Moro's real danger is that since he can eat planets whole, he can juice up ANYONE to become an absolute world-wrecking danger, simply because he has so much planetary ki stored up to pass out. Imagine him reaching a point where he has an entire army of Saganbos. He could wipe out universes.

I mean that’s been the DB playbook since Dragonball.

No real wins but good showings I guess

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I guess in a weird way this is the Buu Saga of Super, it kind of is just a retread of Majin stuff, isn’t it

I still hope the final battle is at least weird and novel in new ways. Let Vegeta at least do something new like “sets Moro up using his arsenal of new tricks and power for Goku to get the final blow in” instead of him going solo and getting thrashed as usual. I’m really holding out like a fool after this arc for more of the idea of new transformation styles and actual techs becoming the focus to differentiate things.

I mean poo poo, yes, the B-Team failed? But wow, even Yamcha held his own, and nobody went down in one strike. People TRIED stuff and held their own for a while. That’s all I really ask, let them put up a fight and leave some wounds.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It honestly seems more like the demon king piccolo arc with what seems like the original androids gimmick thrown in?

It’s hard to tell considering how that arc got cut short

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
It feels kinda like when my cats have been playing with a spider for a while then I finally step in and scoop it outside.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I mean, Majin Buu was the Demon King arc again, yah

I think even it was originally going to be Majin Piccolo which would have been fukken aces

So now it’s Super’s turn to do it

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What's the difference between UI and UI sign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

bowmore posted:

What's the difference between UI and UI sign?

According to the anime, with UI Starter Edition Goku still has to think about attacking which limits their effectiveness and strength, whereas MUI is all limiters removed complete god mode but at the cost of immense strain on Goku's body which eventually completely craps out on him. In the manga, ???