Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a western country doing actual testing + isolation for the infected ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

Maybe Germany?

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2001191

First recorded compassionate use of a drug currently in clinical trials remdesivir with good results. Very good documentation of the day by day slide of the virus. I'm sure its been posted it's from March 5th but just in case.

This very well could just be a one off, but if you have someone sick from this people need to know.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

John Oliver did the latest episode of Last Week Tonight without a studio audience and it was weeeeird. The jokes felt real awkward without the audience responding to them.

John Oliver makes jokes?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Adding some info to the pile about chloroquin, Belgian pop star Stromae took some during a trip to Congo and it caused him a psychotic break and he almost stopped his career since because it broke his brain.

And that's a very rich person with access to the best doctors.

So yeah, Trump is an idiot

He's doing better bit by bit and has been active a little. Until then, I soothe my Stromae-less life with a lot of Tous les mêmes.

Mnoba posted:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2001191

First recorded compassionate use of a drug currently in clinical trials remdesivir with good results. Very good documentation of the day by day slide of the virus. I'm sure its been posted it's from March 5th but just in case.

This very well could just be a one off, but if you have someone sick from this people need to know.

The studies are great. The problem is that studies aren't going to save people dying right now. And a lot of people who don't want to believe this is as scary as it is are citing them as proof it can be cured by a pill.

This is largely because they are idiots.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I discovered the battery on my mother's ebike reports its temperature so I know what to stick up there when i don't find an actual thermometer.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I know we live in strange times but sticking an entire bike up your rear end is not going to help

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
But doctor the rear end battery said I have a fever

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Germany is. Unless you mean literally testing everybody and then isolating those positive.

We test everybody showing symptoms and/or who had contact to known positive people.
And if you test positive you are isolated or have to isolate at home, which also is the case of you are not tested (yet) but returned from abroad or may have had contact with somebody who is positive.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I was at the local Shopper Drug Mart (Canadian retail chain) a couple days ago getting milk and I talked to the old lady who was cashier. I was telling her "you are very brave, I would not work here for $50/h you are taking your life into your hands for corporate" and she told me "yeah and we only make minimum wage". i said she should try and get her coworkers to go on strike, after all do they think that their bosses are coming into work during this crisis?

today, two days later i go to the same Shoppers to pick up some more groceries and i see a hastily printed sign taped to the window "we are now hiring emergency workers for this store. If you or anyone you know wants a temporary job please call this number!"

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?

coronavirus posted:

i love your avatar

Thx, i am truly living the celeryman lifestyle in my basement these days.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

So I was at the local Shopper Drug Mart (Canadian retail chain) a couple days ago getting milk and I talked to the old lady who was cashier. I was telling her "you are very brave, I would not work here for $50/h you are taking your life into your hands for corporate" and she told me "yeah and we only make minimum wage". i said she should try and get her coworkers to go on strike, after all do they think that their bosses are coming into work during this crisis?

today, two days later i go to the same Shoppers to pick up some more groceries and i see a hastily printed sign taped to the window "we are now hiring emergency workers for this store. If you or anyone you know wants a temporary job please call this number!"

And that man was Albert Einstein :D

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

http://www.startribune.com/cub-kowalski-s-others-give-raises-to-hourly-workers/568933152/

Here in Minnesota a lot of us grocery workers are getting two dollar "temporary" raises. I was already getting more than minimum wage because I've worked for a nice store for a long time, but this was still needed. I definitely appreciate how fortunate grocery workers in my area are compared to other states. Governor Walz has even been praising us as valuable, saying things like, "When this is over I don't think any of us are going to walk into a grocery store and see a clerk the same way again." He declared us emergency workers so that we can get state childcare.

Unrelated to the virus I've had work off every day since the 9th, except for Tuesday, so thus far I've missed most of the action and danger but my schedule should be back to normal going forward. Today I go in for an eight hour bagging and carry-out shift. Feeling pretty nervous.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

And that man was Albert Einstein :D

dammit i knew i should have taken a picture of the sign

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Rutibex posted:

I was telling her "you are very brave, I would not work here for $50/h

:guillotine:

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Annabel Pee posted:

Anyone else self-employed selling online? Etsy/Amazon/Ebay etc? My sales grew the last few days since everyones not at work and home, but dropped off a cliff today, nothing so far. Hard to predict if its going to go way up or way down in the next few months, hopefully up since I will be hosed if Post gets shut down.

I'm a self-employed writer and my sales have gone to poo poo over the last few days. Down like 50%.

Fortunately (I guess), Amazon pays writers with a two-month delay, so my royalty checks for the end of this month and the next are already baked in. I won't have to worry about this smaller, shittier one for a while.

I'm hoping once everything is forced to shut down and people settle into quarantine they start reading cheesy romance novels again, but for now, everyone's panicking.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I told that hobo "you are very brave, I wouldnt like to be human garbage like you" and I pissed on his stuff. Next week he was still here.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

you think grocery store employees don't deserve hazard pay right now? i think its pretty hosed that they are expected to expose themselves for their normal wages

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hopper posted:

Germany is. Unless you mean literally testing everybody and then isolating those positive.

We test everybody showing symptoms and/or who had contact to known positive people.
And if you test positive you are isolated or have to isolate at home, which also is the case of you are not tested (yet) but returned from abroad or may have had contact with somebody who is positive.

That sounds reasonable and efficient, this is very disturbing :ohdear:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Annabel Pee posted:

Anyone else self-employed selling online? Etsy/Amazon/Ebay etc? My sales grew the last few days since everyones not at work and home, but dropped off a cliff today, nothing so far. Hard to predict if its going to go way up or way down in the next few months, hopefully up since I will be hosed if Post gets shut down.

I suspect it depends on what you sell. I sell on Ebay only as a way to get rid of my extra nerd collectible crap and when my auctions end today I'm not relisting and am going to try to wait until everything that did sell is paid for, so I only make one trip to the post office. But I am not a business so I can do that.

I'm sure if I sold some more retro video games I'd make bank but it's not worth the exposure risk. Can't believe people are bidding on dumb PSA graded trading cards and old virtual pet toys right now anyways.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can we scam the rich out of test money ?

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Minnesota Manatee posted:

http://www.startribune.com/cub-kowalski-s-others-give-raises-to-hourly-workers/568933152/

Here in Minnesota a lot of us grocery workers are getting two dollar "temporary" raises. I was already getting more than minimum wage because I've worked for a nice store for a long time, but this was still needed. I definitely appreciate how fortunate grocery workers in my area are compared to other states. Governor Walz has even been praising us as valuable, saying things like, "When this is over I don't think any of us are going to walk into a grocery store and see a clerk the same way again." He declared us emergency workers so that we can get state childcare.

Unrelated to the virus I've had work off every day since the 9th, except for Tuesday, so thus far I've missed most of the action and danger but my schedule should be back to normal going forward. Today I go in for an eight hour bagging and carry-out shift. Feeling pretty nervous.

that's gotta be nice to hear. hopefully that kind of attitude starts rippling out.

best of luck on your shift

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Rutibex posted:

dammit i knew i should have taken a picture of the sign

Was Einstein holding it or something?

In other news, first casualty in Finland (out of 521 known cases). An elderly person of "very advanced age" from the Helsinki region, but no other details will be released for obvious reasons.

Not surprising, but maybe this will start to convince the idiots that hanging around the slot machines or queuing up for buckets isn't worth it.

On Twitter a bunch of "experts" are recommending that people buy masks and wear them outside because "that's what the Chinese are doing and it's working for them". So we'll probably run out of masks for health care professionals in the near future as well.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Annabel Pee posted:

no one is hiring right now worth a poo poo. I assume we'll see a lot more perk up when they pass this stupid bill.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Germany has reported a peak testing capacity of about 25K/day, which should be plenty. If you convince your family doc to send one in or go to a testing centre, you'll get one.
You'd need to specify what you mean by isolation through. Locking up thousands of mildly/asymptomatic people in plague camps? Nope.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Lotta cowards who won't man up and get the virus itt.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

My buddy works for a company that sets up home theaters and runs speaker systems, projectors, TVs etc. His company has been somehow working at a construction site in Boston even though all construction is shut down and he's been sending me the emails.

He literally got one this morning citing the DoD classified low voltage integrators as critical personnel and them basically saying SEE? IT'S OKAY. The email ended with the boss saying "Stay safe."

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I'm disappointed your username isn't Dr Shovel

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

sauer kraut posted:

Germany has reported a peak testing capacity of about 25K/day

I think we aren't testing anyone in France but it's ok because we will have a curfew and other useless poo poo that will make our lives worse.

e: the rich and various useless admin and govt officials with no symptoms get tested obvs.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Im telling people ive been in contact with that im showing symptoms and getting nothing but negativity and doubt back. I need to move out of FL after this

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Anyone else finding it hard(er) to eat?

I mean if I'm just sitting around the house, I probably don't need 1800-2000 calories a day, right?

Even with weed my appetite just isn't there. This is a bad enough problem for me even when there isn't a pandemic going on.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I mean if I'm just sitting around the house, I probably don't need 1800-2000 calories a day, right?

Even with weed my appetite just isn't there. This is a bad enough problem for me even when there isn't a pandemic going on.

What? How are you a goon? My weight has shot up because I'm eating just as much but I can't get to the gym and burn this poo poo off. I wish I didn't like food enough where I'll just not want to eat at times. Then again, that would mean not being as sexy thicc as I am, so maybe not.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Could try looking up your TDEE and see. But yeah, if you’re just binging tv all day you prob don’t need but 12-1500.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Dude I’m not hungry all day now and I’m overweight it’s weird as gently caress

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Been doing those can’t go outside workouts for an hour every day and even then not hungry

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So a week ago, there was a curling event in my city.... for doctors. Because it was under 250 people, it still went on. Now we’ve got cases of doctors testing positive because one of them had just come back from Las Vegas and did not self-isolate. These doctors continued to see patients, not knowing they had been exposed.

Of course, my province had a jump to 49 cases in one day, when the previous day was 27.

I hate to think how many more we’ll have today.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Plant MONSTER. posted:

If you find yourself sitting around all day I'd try getting some excercise in, wheter it's at home or going for a walk or whatever (taking recommended precautions, ofc) It'll be good for you beyond just appetite, especially if you're normally more active.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Personally, yeah. I got food sick Tuesday night and barfed my guts out and I'm still kinda recovering. You know how you can't even smell the last thing you ate before getting sick without getting grossed out, and lose your appetite? I've been going through that. Especially since you can't easily get smells off and instant pot lid. And I was making ginger tea with straight ginger all day Monday.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Plant MONSTER. posted:

same. but mostly because i am very anxious and i keep hitting "refresh" on the corona tracker website and see another 9/11 worth of deaths every time i hit the button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
This level of fear and grief for the world is exhausting. I need to limit my news exposure, but I'm really struggling to do it.