Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
For some reason people think this being an anime is "sticking it to those SJWs"

is the series notable besides the main girl being a spunky tomboy with huge boobs, or is that pretty much the main draw

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i dislike her smug face

interesting style to the anime tho

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

is the series notable besides the main girl being a spunky tomboy with huge boobs, or is that pretty much the main draw

to the first, as a manga reader: "......???"

to the second: the protagonist actually has a personality, it has solid comedic timing, and in some kind of incredible revolution of the genre they are in college

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
someone tell dis to defend their favorite manga that isn't jealousy by scarlet bojangles

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

There was a promotion for a blood drive featuring the character. Literally one person on twitter complained about it because her boobs are big. 4chan types talked about it so much they convinced themselves there was some movement to ban the manga because of boobs, instead of it being literally one dumb tweet by some person.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad Uzaki is getting animated because it brings us one step closer to a Nagatoro anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gripweed posted:

There was a promotion for a blood drive featuring the character. Literally one person on twitter complained about it because her boobs are big. 4chan types talked about it so much they convinced themselves there was some movement to ban the manga because of boobs, instead of it being literally one dumb tweet by some person.
There was a bit more than one tweet but the conversation about it on Japanese internet was pretty normal, and the conversation was only about whether or not promotional materials for rl blood drives should have fanservice in them. General argument of 'it might make women or more conservative old guys uncomfortable about donating blood' versus 'women aren't really that thin-skinned and if it gets nerds to go and donate blood it's probably a net good' where both sides have fair points. There were a few idiots but it was a fairly normal bit of discourse. There was a later campaign with Uzaki with her in a more conservative outfit, and everyone who was complaining the first time said it was a fine compromise. It's a completely reasonable issue that was solved in a reasonable way.

So yeah, ofc western nerds blew it up into nonsense.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

There was a bit more than one tweet but the conversation about it on Japanese internet was pretty normal, and the conversation was only about whether or not promotional materials for rl blood drives should have fanservice in them. General argument of 'it might make women or more conservative old guys uncomfortable about donating blood' versus 'women aren't really that thin-skinned and if it gets nerds to go and donate blood it's probably a net good' where both sides have fair points. There were a few idiots but it was a fairly normal bit of discourse. There was a later campaign with Uzaki with her in a more conservative outfit, and everyone who was complaining the first time said it was a fine compromise. It's a completely reasonable issue that was solved in a reasonable way.

Really they should be using the Cells at Work characters for promoting blood drives.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

They did use them. They use many characters

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/Kirari_star/status/1241034575024775168?s=20

Kicks rear end.

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008

Endorph posted:

It's not just the western nerds, the Japanese nerds are also still making a big fuss about it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

excellent

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Greblin posted:

It's not just the western nerds, the Japanese nerds are also still making a big fuss about it.

Yeah if there's one behavior I expect to be universal to nerds it's :regd08:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Little nervous about BNA because it's written by Kazuki Nakashima. You know, the lead writer of Kill la Kill.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Darth Walrus posted:

Little nervous about BNA because it's written by Kazuki Nakashima. You know, the lead writer of Kill la Kill.

Well, he also did series composition on Gurren Lagann and wrote scripts for Re: Cutie Honey, so he's done a lot of good work as well.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So we're roughly even on the horny then?

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
He was also on Kamen Rider Fourze.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
looks like higurashi is going to be a remake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViVnzjalOsc

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Stink Billyums posted:

looks like higurashi is going to be a remake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViVnzjalOsc

I guess some people have issues with the pacing of the original but I don't feel like a remake is necessary. I'd much prefer they give Umineko another try but I suppose I'll have to check this out. Hopefully they're committed to doing the full story.

I'm not sure if I dig the character designs. What's going on with Rika's mouth?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'd like them to give umineko another try with a more flexible take on adapting it but at the same time all i've ever heard about the old higurashi anime made it sound like even barring pacing issues it just did a poor job hitting on the emotional notes that make the vn land so well even with some of its flaws, and i wouldn't be surprised if positive response to a new higurashi anime might make them consider taking a new swing at animating umineko as well

akio watanabe designs are a hell of a thing to see applied to my gang of blobby hand goblins though

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The old Higurashi anime wasn't a masterclass or anything, especially the resolution episodes, but I liked it a lot in spite of that. The squishy loose style helped make the horror bits land with a real impact.

That trailer is too brief to take anything away from, but the first impression it gives is a suuuuper generic one

Kwyndig posted:

So we're roughly even on the horny then?

Re: Cutie Honey: About as horny as any Cutie Honey series that is not marketed directly at modern children is
Gurren Lagann: Pretty horny, but almost entirely around the orbit of Yoko. Some other characters get it a little bit, but Yoko is doing the Fujiko thing, except she's not doing it intentionally
Kill La Kill: 100% horny, and intentionally so.
Kamen Rider Fourze: Only occasionally horny. Like maybe five out of the 40-something odd episodes.
Ninja Batman: About as horny as anything with superheroes in it that isn't a live action Disney movie
Promare: More horny than the Gurren Lagann movies but less horny than the TV series

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 21, 2020

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

horny bad, horny bad!!!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im tired of coomer horniness and lead and preach the ascetic life of a monk now

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

OnimaruXLR posted:

The old Higurashi anime wasn't a masterclass or anything, especially the resolution episodes, but I liked it a lot in spite of that. The squishy loose style helped make the horror bits land with a real impact.

the resolution episodes are my favorite part of higurashi so uh, that's why i want an adaptation that does them better even if it might not be quite as good at horror

the horror in higurashi is cool but without being able to maintain the vn's very specific angle with how it humanizes and empathizes with its characters and genuinely wants you to think about them as people from multiple different angles even during the horror stuff... i sleep

obvs it'd be good if they can do both sides well tho

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 21, 2020

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I caught the advance first episode of Brand New Animal and uh...

...did everybody start reading Blacksad in the early 00s/late 90s? Does that explains why there's all this urban furry hijinks going on lately? Zootopia, Beastars, and now this...

The story itself is pretty straightforward, seems like the hook might be whatever the protagonist's deal is. Have to say given the domino mask look her beastman form gives her, the end of this episode gave me a real "Batman meets Robin" vibe. Very cool bit of action, that. I'm looking forward to more, even if this episode didn't blow my mind.

also for those of you worried about how horny is, so far: not very (definitely less than Beastars)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think it might just be the new trend after the umpteenth flavour of Isekai and Not-an-Isekai-VRMMO show the past few years.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sindai posted:

I'm glad Uzaki is getting animated because it brings us one step closer to a Nagatoro anime
:hmmyes:

Also one for GalGohan and Amano Megumi.

And while I'm getting unicorn wishes, Voice of the Dead.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I have trouble imagining a mascot with big boobs being enough of an incentive to counteract the fear of needles and seeing lots of your own blood.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the author of beastars made beastars what beastars is because they wanted to make beastars, and perhaps it is the same with brand new animal

i don't think it's. prevalent enough yet to even be called a massive trend on the level of isekai.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i remember reading somewhere that a show about people turning into animals was an alternate pitch back when they decided to make little witch academia so it's probably just coincidence that it finally showed up around the same time as a bunch of other furry stuff

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think KLK being a badly-structured mess was a more fundamental problem than the horny.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this just in: writer has worked on both good and bad things

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's just like when Deep Impact and Armageddon came out within a couple of months of each other.

For now....

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Why did I wait so long to watch Eizouken? This is actually really good.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Furnaceface posted:

Why did I wait so long to watch Eizouken? This is actually really good.
Easily contender for AOTY, and Winter 2020 overall was pretty fun as well.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Going to be hard to top Iruma-kun but this is certainly making a strong case for winter being one of the strongest seasons Ive seen since I started watching anime/posting here.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

OnimaruXLR posted:

I caught the advance first episode of Brand New Animal and uh...

...did everybody start reading Blacksad in the early 00s/late 90s? Does that explains why there's all this urban furry hijinks going on lately? Zootopia, Beastars, and now this...

Shows like this come and go to be honest, and if anything inspired them it was probably Zootopia, which released in early 2016 and Beastar's manga started in late 2016.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Going to be hard to top Iruma-kun but this is certainly making a strong case for winter being one of the strongest seasons Ive seen since I started watching anime/posting here.

:yeah:

Iruma-kun is good, thanks for the recommendation! Also enjoying In/Spectre. Hoping to catch up on other stuff like MHA since, uh, there’s a lot of free indoors time these days.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

FilthyImp posted:

:hmmyes:

Also one for GalGohan and Amano Megumi.
anything was possible once ueno got an anime

except for maybe the ridiculous foot manga, probably hagure idol, and definitely the holy sword manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Davincie posted:

im tired of coomer horniness and lead and preach the ascetic life of a monk now

volcel for the win