Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Disgusting Coward posted:

I live in a fairly well-off small city in Scotland, and although the UK dragged feet about shutting down, this place pretty much went voluntarily into lockdown on Wednesday. I've been taking a spin out on my motorbike at nights to see what's happening, and the only people going around are either totally desperate alcoholics, obvious drug addicts or Deliveroo dudes. The deserted streets, with the only figures being scrawny, dishevelled, stumbling wrecks, has given the whole place a very zombie movie vibe...

[also, for the 0 of you who care, I'm still feeling fine, no noticable after-effects, no seeming lasting damage]

is deliveroo doordash/grubhub, but Scottish? If so that owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Drinking heavily. I had one regular on the ambulance whose usual, every day consumption was 2L of vodka. And if he tried to stock up he’d probably just burn through it far faster than he planned.

He’s dead now, though, on account of drinking 2 liters of vodka a day.

Pouring one out for our lost homie.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
What kits are being used for detection? PCR-based?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

central dogma posted:

What kits are being used for detection? PCR-based?

Yes

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Tree pollen is very high

Hopefully, but I don't have hay fever and I've been indoors all day aside from walking to and from work 10 mins.

I also feel like I accidentally aspirated some water while drinking, only I haven't. That's the bit that worries me the most.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Natalie Fartman posted:

Hopefully, but I don't have hay fever and I've been indoors all day aside from walking to and from work 10 mins.

I also feel like I accidentally aspirated some water while drinking, only I haven't. That's the bit that worries me the most.

You have a thermometer?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/21/business/coronavirus-ups-fedex-xpo-workers.html

lol I'm one of four people who has to continue working in my office (we are doing alternating 2-man work days) and one of the things we do is receive and ship many packages with all of these companies plus DHL and USPS

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Natalie Fartman posted:

Ah, gently caress.

I'm developing a cough. gently caress gently caress gently caress. I should have been self isolating and I've been mingling with my coworkers who also should have been isolating and have decided to from today, but it's going to be too goddamn late. My underlying health conditions aren't lung related, theirs are.

gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Yeah I'm seeing huge blooms of pollen in the air right now. I thought it was pollution at first in the sky but it's just a miasma of tree sperm.

Don't panic unless you get a fever and shortness of breath.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

d0s posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/21/business/coronavirus-ups-fedex-xpo-workers.html

lol I'm one of four people who has to continue working in my office (we are doing alternating 2-man work days) and one of the things we do is receive and ship many packages with all of these companies plus DHL and USPS

my mail lady isn't even wearing gloves she doesn't give a single poo poo

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I like how the "you're so essential we need you at the office even in a pandemic" folks are the ones making 30 grand a year or less while all the six figure people can stay home for a couple months and it's nbd, it's really cool and good

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Google Butt posted:

You have a thermometer?

if it's just the meat kind we have a plan just let us know

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

d0s posted:

I like how the "you're so essential we need you at the office even in a pandemic" folks are the ones making 30 grand a year or less while all the six figure people can stay home for a couple months and it's nbd, it's really cool and good

I mean, we can start paying grocery store cashiers 100k a year. The cost of groceries might go up, tho. Thanks, capitalism.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

d0s posted:

30! Cute.
I always made around 21k CAD when doing kitchen or retail work here which in current dollars is 14,617 USD.

Official poverty treshold of Canada has always been higher than what the minimum wage is.

Also yes, eat the rich.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
We're the sacrificial lamb to THE CURVE. We're doubly effective because we can't afford healthcare.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Entorwellian posted:

Yeah I'm seeing huge blooms of pollen in the air right now. I thought it was pollution at first in the sky but it's just a miasma of tree sperm.

Don't panic unless you get a fever and shortness of breath.

No fever yet. I'm also in the UK and the pollen count is low for us. It's not pollen. I'm going to sleep on it and see how I am tomorrow.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As someone who has been told for now that I'm "essential" it's just the worst mix of emotions. On one hand I can't afford to not have a job. I feel for people who have been laid off. I'm happy I can still pull a paycheck because I maybe have enough money in the bank to get by for 6 weeks. On the the other hand, I feel like at the rate I'm going I'm almost guaranteed to catch this and then what. I just want to be able to lock myself in like my yuppie friends. I hear them complain about how working from home is driving them nuts. I see celebrities live streaming with inspiration or whatever that "you'll get through the isolation" or whatever bullshit. It just makes me so irritated. All of the people who have it made are acting like their lives are so hard, meanwhile all of these people with lower class jobs are being treated disposable, being forced to put themselves in harms way. Not even being well compensated for keeping the world running right now.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
But obviously, the people making the ~*~hard decisions~*~ at the top deserve to be compensated more.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBfGDGxgELo

"Dragon Man's Saturday 3-21-2020 Corona Update"

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

yeah all the stuff out the about dealing with the absolute trauma of being in your own god drat house is amazing

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Incapacitate, fall into your fate
Pain results in screams, bleed internally
Years will pass before it can be cured!!1

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
doin coronavirus art and puttin' it on buttons wheeeee (OC)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

empty whippet box posted:

What is this pokemon?!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Colonel Cancer posted:

What is this pokemon?!

You don't wanna catch this one

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Someone working from home from my company posted her daily routine on instagram (to try to show how hard it is).

In it she revealed that she's taking 3 hours of breaks in a 9 hour shift, and taking a break in the middle of the day to walk to a shopping center to buy an extra set of glasses. She gets paid 100k a year and the only work mentioned over 8 videos was her needing to 'watch her queue'.

I sure am glad my company is protecting her worthless rear end and doing nothing at all to protect the retail staff working in stores who spend their entire shift dealing with the plague-carrying public.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

The Chloroquine is a chemical whicj seems to bind to some stuff inside a red blood cell with a malaria parasite in it causing everything to break apart horribly via lysis. And while it's v cool and good to research this type of chemotherapy against covid-19 where it destroys all the lung cells the virus has infected, wouldn't it be more beneficial right now to reduce the infection rates by focusing on the production of an inactivated vaccine via the same method of growing it inside chicken eggs then killing it, as we're been doing with the influenza virus?

Don't worry, there are enough researchers in the world to research several things at once.

A vaccine is at least 18 months from public use no matter how many research teams we throw at it. So finding ways to help people not die in the meantime is a beneficial use of time. The advantage to off-label use of existing drugs is that they already exist and are approved for use in humans, so it's merely a matter of proving whether they are effective for this disease.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

veni veni veni posted:

As someone who has been told for now that I'm "essential" it's just the worst mix of emotions. On one hand I can't afford to not have a job. I feel for people who have been laid off. I'm happy I can still pull a paycheck because I maybe have enough money in the bank to get by for 6 weeks. On the the other hand, I feel like at the rate I'm going I'm almost guaranteed to catch this and then what. I just want to be able to lock myself in like my yuppie friends. I hear them complain about how working from home is driving them nuts. I see celebrities live streaming with inspiration or whatever that "you'll get through the isolation" or whatever bullshit. It just makes me so irritated. All of the people who have it made are acting like their lives are so hard, meanwhile all of these people with lower class jobs are being treated disposable, being forced to put themselves in harms way. Not even being well compensated for keeping the world running right now.

Yeah it's 100% hosed up. If you still have a job and you get to work from home the least you can do is keep your complaints to yourself.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

empty whippet box posted:

abstract goatse

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Facebook Aunt posted:

Don't worry, there are enough researchers in the world to research several things at once.

A vaccine is at least 18 months from public use no matter how many research teams we throw at it. So finding ways to help people not die in the meantime is a beneficial use of time. The advantage to off-label use of existing drugs is that they already exist and are approved for use in humans, so it's merely a matter of proving whether they are effective for this disease.

On the other hand, a known dummie like Trump "directing the CDC to research" a specific drug seems very moronic.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lambert posted:

On the other hand, a known dummie like Trump "directing the CDC to research" a specific drug seems very moronic.

Yep. Luckily people are already researching that treatment, so hopefully president bonespurs isn't actually changing anything.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Lambert posted:

Even then, states with regressive alcohol laws definitely need to define liquor stores as being essential.

Alcohol delivery:

https://drizly.com/

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If you were bummed out that the Vietnamese corona hand washing song wasn't in english someone, uh, did a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6-o_hi8Huk

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Stealing this format to check-in from central London. We had to go out with my gf to get her asthma medicine from Canary Wharf (London financial/business district), the first time in a week that isn't the park right across our place.

-hospitals are out of tests so they only give them if show up and it's critical.

The current situation is, you only get to go to the hospital if you are in dire need of assistance. No clear answer on how many tests NHS has (most likely not even remotely enough) and the official number is 3700 tests per day. It doesn't sound like a tight grip to me but idk.

-several pharmacies are closed because the staff was exposed.

Pharmacies seem to be open but understaffed. It really doesn't help that most of the pharmacies are also selling food and other stuff which increases the exposure of the staff due to the increased volume of customers. The Boots we went to had like pretty chill attitude towards safety, most likely due to lack of ppe but it was kinda :stare: to see employees without even surgical gloves etc.

-I haven't seen TP or paper towels on a shelf in a week

Any TP that arrives to markets I have been to get cleared instantly despite the 1 per person limit in many places. Good thing that almost every big chain adjusted their operating hours to allow the elderly and in need people shop for 1 hour before everyone else. I haven't seen a TP since I bought two packs way before it spiraled.

-installed a bidet we had floating around for about 3 months, waters cold but can live with it.

Gonna order a bidet or a "portable bum gun" just in case.

-grocery stores are a crapshoot if they have things like meat, bread or milk.

Most grocery stores get picked clean when it comes to red meat (especially pork, still plenty of fish and seafood. some beef and lamb. no bacon but plenty of long lasting ham), tp and chicken. Still, if you are willing to queue up early and risk getting the roni (I don't know if it's specific to my neighborhood but people absolutely don't give a poo poo about distancing and whatnot) you can pretty much get anything (citation needed). Even late evening stores have something you can stock up on, veggies go pretty much untouched. No pasta but plently of rice, cannot find flour in big markets but easily find in local shops or Turkish/Greek markets nearby but those places absolutely have no space so it's more of an adventure.

The problem is exponentially increasing queues before the opening. Unless government imposes an actual lockdown these will get much worse and I have already seen a couple of people getting into verbal fights and yelling each other and/or market workers which can only escalate as things get worse.

-local government has basically shut down except for utilities

The gubmint only properly issued a shutdown of pubs and cafes yesterday and...thousands of dumbfucks rushed to pubs to have "one last pint". I mean, jfc. Lots of people getting unemployed left and right despite the promised bailouts for small businesses. Utilities run properly (my only actual concern besides the virus) but the internet speed and quality drop significantly.

-the quarantine is a joke since every business that hasn't been ordered closed pretends everyone is essential.

I swear to god people are so chill about this whole situation that I started to think that this is a super elaborate prank to me and when I emerge after god know how many months people be like "You got Punk'd" because people be strolling alongside the Thames, having bike/running groups and using the workout equipment int he parks while being literally next to each other. I'm not talking about a single guy walking his dog or a couple jogging. I'm talking about actual groups.

-most sit down restaurants have given up trying to get by on take out and have closed, few have said they are closed for good.

Same here, I imagine most of the small businesses will simply fold before the Byzantine bailout system gets into the gear and even with that, you cannot replace actual customer traffic with any kind of support.

-state unemployment site legitimately broke.

I haven't heard anyone being able to get any benefits or statutory sick pay (95 pounds a week, which I'm not even eligible to have because lol snowflake visa)

-only pizza places and chains are still operating.

Same here, Greggs started to deliver and I think Pret is too or thinking about it.

-police have said they will not respond to minor crimes (i.e. trespassing and minor theft).

I assume this would be the case soon. Given the fact that minor crime is like a fact of life in London, I don't think we'll notice anything different.

I dunno man, this whole situation in the UK feels like a dream. Do BoJo as a secret airborne cure spreading machine like the one in the terrible Spiderman Reboot with Andy Garfield? It seems like the "herd immunity" thing is dropped altogether (after the :stare: as gently caress Imperial College report) and they are just trying to borrow more time before NHS collapses under the weight of upcoming cases.

We cooked chorizo&cherry tomato pasta tonight, it was good. My gf is hosting skype events as I find solace in gaming after like 5 years. Stay safe, everyone :sigh:

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 22, 2020

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

HazCat posted:

Someone working from home from my company posted her daily routine on instagram (to try to show how hard it is).

In it she revealed that she's taking 3 hours of breaks in a 9 hour shift, and taking a break in the middle of the day to walk to a shopping center to buy an extra set of glasses. She gets paid 100k a year and the only work mentioned over 8 videos was her needing to 'watch her queue'.

I sure am glad my company is protecting her worthless rear end and doing nothing at all to protect the retail staff working in stores who spend their entire shift dealing with the plague-carrying public.

poo poo like this infuriates me. Literally every single other department in my entire company is working from home except mine. My department has the ability to, and the company gave us the equipment to, but they will not let us yet. As of Friday they told us they hired better cleaners and to just spread out more. There is literally zero reason for ANYONE to be in that entire building! But I'm sure management is just suffering so badly at home with their families. loving cry me a river.

At least St. Louis has enacted a mandatory Stay At Home order starting Monday. Hopefully that will make those poor, unfortunate managers let my department finally work from home.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

why would the police announce the crimes they were going to stop enforcing?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Had some gastrointestinal discomfort a few hours ago. Going to the bathroom seemed to relieve it. Feel fine otherwise though, and I'm not in an area where there are many confirmed cases yet. That could just mean a gently caress load of undiagnosed people though.

This poo poo is stressful as gently caress because any time you feel even remotely off you're gonna wonder if you caught the Roni.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

poverty goat posted:

So that people don't call them?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

poverty goat posted:

To stop getting phone calls about them.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

d0s posted:

abstract goatse

It's actually a photo of a cat toy with treats in it on top of a painting that was on the floor, cropped and put on a button. the red things are little fishies if you look close

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

d0s posted:

there are plenty of high paid essential workers in heavy industry, our economy is just so fake and bad and split between computer touchers' managers and then like cashiers that they are forgotten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Had some gastrointestinal discomfort a few hours ago. Going to the bathroom seemed to relieve it. Feel fine otherwise though, and I'm not in an area where there are many confirmed cases yet. That could just mean a gently caress load of undiagnosed people though.

This poo poo is stressful as gently caress because any time you feel even remotely off you're gonna wonder if you caught the Roni.

Fear not, this is not a gastrointestinal disease. You probably just had some bad taco bell.