Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

mycelia posted:

Same here :shobon: I frequently send my wife stuff from this thread because we both love birds, but our beloved rescue cat cannot tolerate sharing her house with anyone but us. Thank goodness for the internet.

My rapsheet is birds, I have a feather, and IRL I have a dog. Such is life! Thank god for the folks in here like Captain Log and Disco Salmon and many others who vicariously share their birds with us.

e: This thread has also been good for realizing that I wouldn't be a good bird owner. I would hate to adopt one and realize this and have to rehome the poor thing, so thank god for this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I should note that the HYPNO WHEEL has not been eleven dollars and six cents when I have purchased it, in the past, I do not recommend buying it from that particular Amazon link I think

awesome thank you :) I put it on my Amazon list to get these guys later.

Cricket really isn't a toy playing type of bird...she will occasionally, but she is happiest to sit on me, and no matter how I try, she just says... "No...." Trev tho, he needs his toys lol

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ama is often not a toy-player, although I always buy him something when I get Charlie new toys because why wouldn't I??? Occasionally however he goes into furious bouts of play with his bells and spinners that make all the previously rejected toys totally worth it lmao. The Hypno Wheel and the Rattle Mirror are by far his favorites, with this leaf thing being the somewhat distant third.

A Rattle Mirror was one of the toys I bought for his cage the day I brought him home so he has a special attachment to those things, I think they're his hard rattly plastic teddy bears. I've had to replace his a couple times and he gets deeply excited when he sees me trading out the broken one. On nights when I'm out late I always come home to find him sleeping half-wedged into his current rattle mirror, no matter how awkward this prospect seems to be :lol:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I would like one of the feathery dealies, please.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I'm not sure if its partially hormones, or because he is a buttnuggett featherdemon...but Trev LOVES the yucca chew toys. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TS2KP2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

He will go thru one package of loose ones in a day if the opportunity is there. I ended up reusing the food skewers to make him a kabob with loose ones....I am seriously replacing them within a couple of days of putting in on his cage. HE is, in fact, busily ripping one apart as I type, telling me "YOU BE NICE BE GOOD BIRD".

I don't know why he is telling me this, :( I've been trying to be a good bird!! :(

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Oh a feather would be lovely

Joey C
Nov 8, 2004

I would like to request a feather please!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

subpar anachronism posted:

I would appreciate a feather please :)

Anyone else's birds been uh... jerkin it a lot lately? It's still cold as balls here but I guess spring hormones are going while. I just wish Bradbury didn't make so much eye contact.

Absolutely. It's still cold here but daylight savings has us getting a lot more "Portland" sun.

Yellow is murdering her calcium chews and Serra is....being Serra.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Sure you are :cool: Also, did you want one as well?

So long as it doesn't mess with my black thumbs gang tag, I'm down. :toot:

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
I'm a huge lame lurker who hasn't owned a bird since childhood but I would sure love me a feather if they're still on offer! :)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

StrixNebulosa posted:

e: This thread has also been good for realizing that I wouldn't be a good bird owner. I would hate to adopt one and realize this and have to rehome the poor thing, so thank god for this thread.

It hurts but this thread helped me realize this too. Luckily there’s lots of pics and vids and stories :unsmith:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

So remember when you said this and then remember how I said I wanted to do more fun stuff for the thread but have never been able think of anything except for the gangtags? I thought of something, and Jeffrey of YOSPOS dipped his hands in the code to help out. So if any Bird Crazies/thread regulars/lurkers or semi-lurkers would like a feather plat icon instead of a grenade please let me know :buddy:

Captain Log graciously agreed to be our model, so his post below is what it looks like :) Also I do realize telling you guys to tell me if you want a thing after putting you all on probation is very silly indeed but this is not a time-limited offer and if you don't want to wait 'til you're free to post to ask you can PM me! Blame Suntan :lol:

:tviv:

Please!!!!!

shipwrecks
Dec 31, 2008

Oh man, a feather would be awesome! :3:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

So remember when you said this and then remember how I said I wanted to do more fun stuff for the thread but have never been able think of anything except for the gangtags? I thought of something, and Jeffrey of YOSPOS dipped his hands in the code to help out. So if any Bird Crazies/thread regulars/lurkers or semi-lurkers would like a feather plat icon instead of a grenade please let me know :buddy:

Captain Log graciously agreed to be our model, so his post below is what it looks like :) Also I do realize telling you guys to tell me if you want a thing after putting you all on probation is very silly indeed but this is not a time-limited offer and if you don't want to wait 'til you're free to post to ask you can PM me! Blame Suntan :lol:

I would love a feather! As tribute I offer this picture of terra inspecting my cross stitching

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I remember it like it was yesterdayish.

I humbly accept responsibility for this, and any ensuing shenanigans my prodding of the birbmod prompts. As penance, I will gladly accept sixers featuring randomly chosen goons' feathery gremlins every time I post. Like this one.

Hell yeah I want a feather.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I would also like a feather even though I haven't posted in a while! Bird mod, best mod

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Peanut was given many treats for posing for this

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1242213277712691210

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Rotten Cookies posted:

Peanut was given many treats for posing for this

Well deserved!!!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Peanut is usually perfectly fine with being held in my hand with that, and he loves to beak some things and such. But this was too much at the end and he flung the prop and made it known he was uncomfortable. Sorry, bud, here's another pecan

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

In celebration of the probations and feathers (and me getting my humble job back) I present to you

BOTHERED

BIRDS

BONANZA

These are all going to be brown-headed cowbirds as the traps were reset when we thought we were closing for a while.

The males are brown-headed with black iridescent bodies otherwise.

We do clip their wings when we get new ones, as we are trying to manage the species and don't want escapees.

Was taught two holds for this job, both which you see to present for photos for ID, since we sometimes catch other birds

I am happy to present other birds when they come in since I need to photo them anyway, but for now have a bunch of irritated birbs.

And here's a female. They tend to mellow out a bit once you catch them and you can move them around a little before they realize they aren't going to die and try to flee again.

And one of the non-targets from last week, a California Towhee

Gloves are a new addition this week, I'm fine handling the birds without gloves. They literally cannot bite nearly as hard as a parakeet.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:bisonyes:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Requesting more bird bothering please

insertdumbnamehere
Jan 1, 2013
I want a feather, but now would be a very irresponsible time for me to finally buy platinum. If there's no time-limit I'll just have to wait until the world stops falling apart.

Edit: I knew I shouldn't have said anything. Whoever it was (I'm assuming LAB since I have the feather already too) PM with your preferred charity that I can support when things start to normalize.

insertdumbnamehere fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 24, 2020

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Give me that feather touch please.

Also that bird collecting job looks so cool. I knew someone once who helped save a colony of burrowing owls from a development as a volunteer project. They saved the owls by literally grabbin' 'em and dropping them in wild space a few acres away. My friend had some really entertaining pictures of her plucking owls from the dirt like Mario 2 vegetables...I'll see if she can't send me one for posting.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
Am I too late for a feathering?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Nope!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

SuperKlaus posted:

Give me that feather touch please.

Also that bird collecting job looks so cool. I knew someone once who helped save a colony of burrowing owls from a development as a volunteer project. They saved the owls by literally grabbin' 'em and dropping them in wild space a few acres away. My friend had some really entertaining pictures of her plucking owls from the dirt like Mario 2 vegetables...I'll see if she can't send me one for posting.

That is excellent! We have wild burrowing owls in some of the places I scout out here to hunt, they are super adorable. Cool defense mechanism: when they hiss it sounds like a rattlesnake's tail is going off. I've heard a biologist tell me that it's completely unnerving to stick your hand into a burrowing owl's den when it's hissing. You know it's just an owl but your brain is screaming at you to get your hand outta there.

I'll post more pictures as I get more interesting ones, I'm hoping to get another redwing blackbird in the traps sometime soon. That's one I missed a picture of last week.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

You know that Johnny Wurster kid, the kid that delivers papers in the neighborhood? He's a fine kid. Some of the neighbors say he smokes crack, but I don't believe it. Anyway, for his tenth birthday, all he wanted was a burrow owl. He kept bugging his old man; "Dad, get me a burrow owl! I'll never ask for anything else as long as I live!" So the guy breaks down and buys him a burrow owl. Anyway, 10:30 the other night, I go out in my yard and there's the Wurster kid, looking up in the tree! I say "What are you looking for?" And he says "I'm looking for my burrow owl!" And I say "Jumpin' Jesus on a pogo stick! Everybody knows the burrow owl lives in a hole in the ground! Why the hell do you think they call it a burrow owl, anyway!?"

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

May I have a feather please?

In Pookie news, I don't know if it's the palm oil or the large increase in chewing toys (I got a load of wooden baby toys and drilled holes in em - infinitely cheaper than bird toys and they have to be non-toxic because babies chew everything), but Pookies feathers look sleeker and healthier than I have ever seen them.

Edit: look at my beeeeautiful feather!!! I shall preen it assiduously!

Pookah fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 24, 2020

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Lately, my SO will take Alex to the edge of the room when I’m working in the kitchen,. He’ll bob his head all around (we’re guessing to increase depth perception?) and then flappaflappaflappa, the large green bumblebee lands on my shoulder, neck, occasionally the top of my head....

It’s pretty adorable. We’ve been calling him FOMO bird, because he just has to know what’s going on.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
I seem to remember someone in this thread having built their one bird cages/aviaries. Am I correct?

Currently trying to find some resources so that I can plan a build. I have a plan of finally getting the finches back in to the living room, by building a nice big cage inside part of a deep bookcase. Possibly big enough that I can introduce some more finches or canaries :) Currently trying to figure out whether there are anyone who has gloster canaries for sale nearby. Love those little bowlcut birds

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah, I built a cage...three years back? Basically just some untreated pine 2x4's making three base frames, a high quality laminate plate for floor, and some good quality plywood for the sides that need it.
The most difficult part is making doors and hanging them.

I cheaped out on the aviary mesh, what I got was rather uneven and impossible to get entirely straight. I assume high quality mesh is much more even.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

mediaphage posted:

Lately, my SO will take Alex to the edge of the room when I’m working in the kitchen,. He’ll bob his head all around (we’re guessing to increase depth perception?) and then flappaflappaflappa, the large green bumblebee lands on my shoulder, neck, occasionally the top of my head....

It’s pretty adorable. We’ve been calling him FOMO bird, because he just has to know what’s going on.

omg, I hear you there. god forbid I do something where the two buttnuggets can't see me, cos that obviously means I MUST BE DOING SOMETHING REALLY COOL, and its a total FOMO for them.

So I get them flying as far as their newly clipped wings will let them, and then galloping penguin style down the hall to look at me in the hallway to the kitchen or wherever going "Hey! Whatcha Doin??!!" Then they both proceed to waddle/fly over to me and each grabs a pant legs and mountain climbs up my legs to get to my shirt to comment on whatever it is I am doing.

I get no privacy lol

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Disco Salmon posted:

galloping penguin style

amazing

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

nielsm posted:

Yeah, I built a cage...three years back? Basically just some untreated pine 2x4's making three base frames, a high quality laminate plate for floor, and some good quality plywood for the sides that need it.
The most difficult part is making doors and hanging them.

I cheaped out on the aviary mesh, what I got was rather uneven and impossible to get entirely straight. I assume high quality mesh is much more even.

Cool!
I reckon im going to use parts of the Ikea Ivar system as a base. That way I don't have to build the entire frame and I can move the finished cage around in different configurations if I want to change it up. I could also remove it from the bookcase in general, and let it be a standalone cage again if I want to.

I'll need to make a mesh front with a door, find a sturdier rear wall, possibly some sort of pullout tray solution, possibly treat the wood interiors in a way that makes it turd repellant and easier to clean.

Really hope I can pull it off, would be really nice to have the tiny birds back in the living room. Size would be a nice upgrade too. 80x50x83 cm

My cockatiel has been awful lately, screaming his head off constantly. Home office loving sucks when he's this mood

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Yeah, Sera and Ozzy are in time out until they get their screaming under control. Meanwhile, I have earplugs.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Cool!
I reckon im going to use parts of the Ikea Ivar system as a base. That way I don't have to build the entire frame and I can move the finished cage around in different configurations if I want to change it up. I could also remove it from the bookcase in general, and let it be a standalone cage again if I want to.

I'll need to make a mesh front with a door, find a sturdier rear wall, possibly some sort of pullout tray solution, possibly treat the wood interiors in a way that makes it turd repellant and easier to clean.

Really hope I can pull it off, would be really nice to have the tiny birds back in the living room. Size would be a nice upgrade too. 80x50x83 cm

My cockatiel has been awful lately, screaming his head off constantly. Home office loving sucks when he's this mood

Honestly at that size you'd be better off just purchasing a regular cage IMO. The first cage I got for my cockatiels is about 80x45x80 cm, that's just a regular large-ish cage.
The one I built is about 150x80 cm footprint, 180 cm height from the floor of the room to the top, 150 cm interior height.

Building a pull-out tray seems like a lot of work that's much easier to get right for mass produced designs.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

nielsm posted:

Honestly at that size you'd be better off just purchasing a regular cage IMO. The first cage I got for my cockatiels is about 80x45x80 cm, that's just a regular large-ish cage.
The one I built is about 150x80 cm footprint, 180 cm height from the floor of the room to the top, 150 cm interior height.

Building a pull-out tray seems like a lot of work that's much easier to get right for mass produced designs.

It’s partially an aesthetic choice, hoping that it’ll blend into the living room better.
I’ve had my finches in three different cages and they have all sucked in some regard. Especially in regards to how much dust gets out. I reckon I can do it better. Also the size described is not really available over here. It’s either smaller cages or much bigger parrot sized cages on wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

I'll need to make a mesh front with a door,

Having jabbed myself innumerable times with the pointy bits of trimmed chicken wire while making bird carriers, I recommend making two thin door frames, and sandwiching the edges of the mesh between them so they're not exposed. Lap joints would be sturdier than butt joints for the edges, albeit slightly more involved.

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

find a sturdier rear wall,

Ikea primarily uses birch wood for sets with a natural wood appearance. If you can get it, birch plywood is pretty sturdy, and would match the base frame.

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

possibly some sort of pullout tray solution,

Poop trays are just wide, shallow drawers. They're honestly not terribly difficult to make, just have to make sure everything lines up square. Paul Sellers offers some incredible tutorials with just hand tools, though it's by no means the only way to go about it.

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

possibly treat the wood interiors in a way that makes it turd repellant and easier to clean.

Pretty much any food grade finish works. Johnson's paste wax, any beeswax based butcher block treatment, or Ikea's own wood finish, tung oil, or linseed oil, are fairly turd resistant after a couple of coats. Just gotta let it dry completely in a ventilated area, on account of whatever solvent they use to keep it from solidifying in the can; it's nontoxic after that.

My impending probe is not for this post, but for past sins.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)