Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I always wondered why mustard oil in the US was labeled "for external use only" so I was happy to see this Serious Eats article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segue
May 23, 2007

As someone who makes dal every week this one is honestly insanely good for how simple it is. I think it's the large amount of garlic and kasuri methi but somehow it all comes together into much greater than the sum of its parts.

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/dal-palak-recipe-spinach-with-arhar-dal/

Gonna be hard to try some new recipes after making it a couple times in a row but I have a lot of mung beans to use up so I guess that's next on the find the best dal list.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I just made the one pot instant pot biryani from Two Sleevers https://twosleevers.com/pressure-cooker-chicken-biryani/ . I did it lazy style (it was getting late) and just used some garam masala. I also messed up at the store and somehow bought a bunch of fenugreek leaves rather then coriander leaves. I was also going to cheat and add a drop of mint oil rather then fresh mint, totally forgot to do that. Anyhoo, other then not having the same level and quality of fragrance, it was not bad! The fiance said it was not bad at all, and that he's paid for and eaten much worse back alley biryani in India.

Next time I'll be tempering my spices properly and using the right fresh herbs. But even lazy biryani was good stuff. The rice was the PERFECT texture.

https://i.imgur.com/gR5uX76.jpg

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 18, 2020

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Suspect Bucket posted:

...he's paid for and eaten much worse back alley biryani.

I know that food carts and stalls are super-popular in India, but all the ones I've seen were vibrant and buzzing. Is there more to the story of terrible back-alley biryanis? Those words are almost cyberpunk in the grim filthiness of the imagery they evoke for me.

Oi, chummer, you are new around these parts, aren't ya? Everybody knows you don't ask where the tasty bits come from in a back-alley biryani. Now shut up and eat!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

mdxi posted:

I know that food carts and stalls are super-popular in India, but... is there more to the story of terrible back-alley biryanis? Those words are almost cyberpunk in the grim filthiness of the imagery they evoke for me.

Oi, chummer, you are new around these parts, aren't ya? Everybody knows you don't ask where the tasty bits come from in a back-alley biryani. Now shut up and eat!

He never did tell me where that third nipple came from.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Segue posted:

As someone who makes dal every week this one is honestly insanely good for how simple it is. I think it's the large amount of garlic and kasuri methi but somehow it all comes together into much greater than the sum of its parts.

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/dal-palak-recipe-spinach-with-arhar-dal/

Gonna be hard to try some new recipes after making it a couple times in a row but I have a lot of mung beans to use up so I guess that's next on the find the best dal list.

This was way better the next day heated up. The flavors needed more time to infuse in my opinion.

My kids ate it but requested dal makhani next meal

Segue
May 23, 2007

DangerZoneDelux posted:

This was way better the next day heated up. The flavors needed more time to infuse in my opinion.

I always eat my dals next day haha, so that's good to know! And yeah I have found with a lot of heavily spiced food, waiting helps. I've never been that into dal makhani. Maybe just my dislike of kidney beans. Any recommendations for a go-to one?

I've been getting into VahChef on YouTube. I don't really care for him personally but he's a good step up from a lot of the more home cooking channels. I find a lot of his recipes have that extra richness that you expect from more restaurant-style cooking so I'll do his stuff if I want to put in a little extra effort.

https://youtu.be/bonyoQEviXs

Speaking of restaurant chefs I was very disappointed to find out Atul Kochhar seems to be an ardent Hindu nationalist. His recipes were good :(

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I love dal makhani, but only when it's made with just the black lentils and not kidney beans.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So, I used to cook Naan all the drat time back where I used to live to compliment curries or other dishes that I made, but ever since I moved to a new place that only has an induction cooktop, my attempts keep coming out trash and I don't know what I need to do to get a lighter consistency rather than dense. Am I just hosed, short of starting a fire in the kitchen?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So, I used to cook Naan all the drat time back where I used to live to compliment curries or other dishes that I made, but ever since I moved to a new place that only has an induction cooktop, my attempts keep coming out trash and I don't know what I need to do to get a lighter consistency rather than dense. Am I just hosed, short of starting a fire in the kitchen?

I do naan on a gas top fairly often. Induction should be ok? If you have a decent broiler in your oven you could try that too, I’ve done that when the cooktop was lovely electric (rings not induction). When in doubt, make it hotterer! And get ready for the smoke alarm.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What kind of pan are you using?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

As of right now all I've got access to that's applicable is a skillet, since I had to get rid of my other cookware forever ago.

Definitely open to suggestions on how better to do it though.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Bad news: coronavirus.

Good news: since I'm mostly self-quarantining I can start posting some Indian food that I'm cooking in this thread (since I live in India so that's pretty much all I'm cooking).

Bad news: it's mostly boring stuff since I don't have a super well-equipped kitchen for various reasons, and I sort of live in the middle of nowhere so there's not a lot of variation in the ingredients available.

Good news: I don't live in California anymore, so I don't get California produce prices, but I do get rural India produce prices which are just as good. All this for ~80 cents:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I think one of those tomatoes would have been 80c here in Australia. We’re paying about $10 per kilo for tomatoes right now.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Made some makhana / fox nuts for breakfast:

They're soft puffy things so you cook them on the stove on low with a bit of oil for a while until they crisp up, then mix in spices. Pretty tasty.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Stamping my Indian ground chilli powder with "does not gently caress around" for the second time.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Made some makhana / fox nuts for breakfast:

They're soft puffy things so you cook them on the stove on low with a bit of oil for a while until they crisp up, then mix in spices. Pretty tasty.

I keep seeing these in giant bags at the good grocery store, always wondered what they were. Is it like a puffed rice texture? I love puffed rice. Something about that texture is amazing to me.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Puffed rice is crispy already, right? These are basically soft until you toast 'em.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

(Almost) vegan quaran-thali made almost entirely from canned/dried ingredients! the naan is not vegan but it would have been if my dairy yogurt wasn't gonna go off faster

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

So for hing, how much is "a pinch"? I pierced a relatively tine hole into my bottle, and I can get out little puffs of the stuff. Is it like a few puffs, or a few healthy shakes, or should I be getting out a decent amount from the jar?

Segue
May 23, 2007

Eeyo posted:

So for hing, how much is "a pinch"? I pierced a relatively tine hole into my bottle, and I can get out little puffs of the stuff. Is it like a few puffs, or a few healthy shakes, or should I be getting out a decent amount from the jar?

My bottle already has a hole in it about the diameter of a pencil. I always add a couple shakes, maybe a bit less than 1/8 of a teaspoon.

Unless you're adding heaping mounds, I'd err on the side of adding more. It's a delicious background spice so it's not going to unbalance the dish horribly.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Eeyo posted:

To taste. Whatever you want. I add... I dunno. Some. I can take a picture next time I make something.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Sex Hobbit posted:

(Almost) vegan quaran-thali made almost entirely from canned/dried ingredients! the naan is not vegan but it would have been if my dairy yogurt wasn't gonna go off faster

Looks beautiful, especially the fruit cocktail :p

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I've gone from practically no cooking to cooking 100% of the food I eat. And I'm only eating Indian food. Here's the latest:

Bitter gourd sabzi.

Meanwhile mango season is just starting. I'm looking forward to it a lot. I'm kind of in the boondocks and I dunno how much we'll get but the grocery store I shop at had some unripe ones for the first time a couple days ago so that bodes well.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
It's seven in the morning, so I've naturally just finished dinner.

I'd normally go with chappati or paratha, but I have a perfectly good rice steamer I never, ever use.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The only thing better than rice or bread with an Indian meal is rice and bread with an Indian meal.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Been running low on all-purpose flour so I've been using more forgotten flours.

This is Madhur Jaffrey's mung bean pancakes with sooji upma. The recipe calls for a thin layer of upma but I'm hungry so I basically just made a sort of taco. Honestly one of the most delicious things I've eaten and beyond the cilantro, all just pantry or freezer items.

If anything has prepared me for only going grocery shopping a couple times a month it is this beautiful cuisine.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Peach raita, butter chicken, palak paneer, dal makhani, rice n' pickles. I perhaps do not have the finest hand when it comes to drizzling cream.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Looks great! Love the cute little cardamom on the rice.

It turns out I'm far from the only one who gets annoyed at people who call all Indian stuff "curry." I have no mixi/blender/etc. here so I have to buy preground garam masala. Check out the label on this one:

Don't you dare call it a curry powder!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
First mango of mango season! It's delicious.

Jeera rice with onions and dried chilies and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Made masala dosas for breakfast this morning. Couldn't really get the dough to ferment on its own (I only have a stick blender so it's not that smooth and fermenty) so I added some yeast overnight and it puffed up great.

I'm going to try to make bastardized idlis with some ramekins tomorrow, or apparently I can add some more sugar and make sannas which also look dope.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I've never bothered making idlis because I've never owned an idli pan nor do I like them more than other stuff I could do with my time and those ingredients. I'm looking forward to seeing how yours turn out!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Looks great! Love the cute little cardamom on the rice.

It turns out I'm far from the only one who gets annoyed at people who call all Indian stuff "curry." I have no mixi/blender/etc. here so I have to buy preground garam masala. Check out the label on this one:

Don't you dare call it a curry powder!

I mean, if you use garam masala when you were expecting curry powder eg in coronation chicken you probably won't like the result!

Segue
May 23, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing how yours turn out!

Idli update: Oh man these guys really puff up! Made them a bit thick since they almost doubled while steaming but the ramekins worked and they came out pretty cleanly after cooling a bit.

The texture was similar to a light cornbread, probably because my batter wasn't super smooth, but they were nice and airy with a bit of a sticky rice feel.

I've had idlis like once in my life so I can't really compare them to anything but they were definitely more a vehicle for sambar than anything really flavourful or that I would make again.

I did, however, divide the dough in half and add some sugar and dessicated coconut to make Goan sanna and oh my god. The subtle sugar and sweetness of the coconut with the savoury almost sourness of the batter is my my new favourite thing.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
From the potato thread, a simple aloo baingan:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Spinach paneer korma, brown rice, onion naan.

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Segue posted:

This is Madhur Jaffrey's mung bean pancakes with sooji upma.

"What's upma?"
"Nothing son, what's up with you?"

I'll get my coat.

I'm just jealous of all this great stuff here. Living in Germany it's not easy getting hold of good ingredients unless you happen to be in one of the big cities (and the stores are open).

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
It's mango season.

Make mango curry.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Made some quick mung bean sprouts since I'm out of fresh produce and tried my hand at making usal. I didn't have a few ingredients (stone flower??? What the hell Maharashtra?) But it turned out supremely delicious.

The coconut and sesame-heavy goda masala is a really lovely changeup from the usual garam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yummm, everything in the last two posts looks great. My own contribution, courtesy of the 10kg sack of atta I bought a little while ago:

And from the potato thread, some absolutely delicious batata nu shaak: