Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One other funny thing I've noticed on my PracGuide re-read is that in Book 3 there's this constant refrain of "Catherine has started a movement to destroy the old order and take the war to the Praesi High Lords/Matrons/etc" with the 15th making this song and Catherine having dramatic talks with Black about it, but immediately after Akua it just directly transitions to the Proceran invasion and then ultimately the conflict with the Dead King (and it seems like Black is basically doing all this stuff through his Praesi rebellion against Malicia (who basically ended up reverted into an old-style Dread Empress, albeit a very competent one), completely detached from Catherine's people).

All of this makes sense in terms of Catherine's character progression, but it's sort of tonally awkward given how it's treated like some profound thing earlier in the story.

edit: Also, are we supposed to conclude that Black mistakenly thought that he was fated to die (as a result of events with White Knight in the Free Cities), when in reality he was just going to lose his name?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Myriad Truths posted:

I read The Last Science through Book 2 since it was referenced here recently. It's good, I definitely like it. But the author sure has a knack for making you frustrated. I'm so mad at Beverly after her disastrous breakdown. And Natalie got really bad by the end too. I know everyone seems to believe Rachel is going to become Wizard Hitler, but considering the end of book 2, I'm all for it.

The characters definitely make me pretty loving mad sometimes. The whole last quarter of book 2 is "gah, no, Natalie stop this isn't going to work how out you're hoping it will :(", but at the same time it would have been pretty out of character for her to do anything differently. It's kinda weird story-telling wise. Normally when a story blatantly sets up some awful thing coming up, there'll be some unexpected development to save the day. TLS just lets the bad thing happen and tells you to deal with it.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

All of this makes sense in terms of Catherine's character progression, but it's sort of tonally awkward given how it's treated like some profound thing earlier in the story.

All the build up is so Malicia can get Saruman'd and it will be delicious.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Prediction: by the end of this particular story bent, Cat will have her new name, and Hakram deadhand will be dead.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Katalepsis: If there was a way to communicate with this Outsider, this shard of the Eye, its minion, and unfeeling animal, whatever it was, I was going to find out.

And I was going to hurt it until I understood why.

Sounding just a smidgen Peter Wattsy there, Heather.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI Patreon:

MATING

RITUALS

PART 2

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

seriously though that entire chapter was a loving emotional rollercoaster. erin helping menolit not be an abusive rear end in a top hat was a real :unsmith: moment. the entire watch being incredibly broken up about klbkch having no genitalia was loving hilarious.

also Ryoka is officially canon as being queer! also canon as being a huge fuckup that's terrified of relationships!

also Erin might be queer too! unfortunately she's going through some hella typical queer angst about it :smith: :smith: For as many notes this chapter hit the last part was a real gutpunch

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: One thing that confused me a bit at the part I'm currently reading - in the Book 3 Epilogue, when Larat shows up, he says they're the Wild Hunt, but earlier it was mentioned that the Wild Hunt was of Spring/Autumn. What's up with that? I thought the Winter version was the Host or something.

Brain Candy posted:

All the build up is so Malicia can get Saruman'd and it will be delicious.

Yeah, the Black/Malicia conflict is great and was developed in a way that felt pretty natural/organic. I like how both Black and Catherine develop over the course of the story. It's just kind of tonally strange how much emphasis is given to Catherine starting a movement that will up-end the old Praesi order, when her focus (and that of her friends/underlings) shifts pretty dramatically away from that for what seems to be the rest of the story.

This re-read has given me a strong appreciation for how good PracGuide is as a fantasy story. It's not perfect by any means, but the author is very good at crafting very memorable characters and scenes (action or otherwise) that are very easy for me to visualize (which is something I usually have a very difficult time with). When I try to remember the events of the story, a large number of very iconic events and scenes come to mind, which is something that most other things I read (books or web serials) don't manage to accomplish.

The only characters I have trouble visualizing are the orcs. I always imagine them as having no hair on their heads (except for Juniper, who I visualize as having no hair except for a ponytail like one of the WoW orc hair styles), even though the story explicitly says otherwise. Nauk is a bald purple WoW orc (do not ask me why he is purple). Hakram is a tall, narrow WoW orc

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 22, 2020

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

A big flaming stink posted:

TWI Patreon:

MATING

RITUALS

PART 2

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

seriously though that entire chapter was a loving emotional rollercoaster. erin helping menolit not be an abusive rear end in a top hat was a real :unsmith: moment. the entire watch being incredibly broken up about klbkch having no genitalia was loving hilarious.

also Ryoka is officially canon as being queer! also canon as being a huge fuckup that's terrified of relationships!

also Erin might be queer too! unfortunately she's going through some hella typical queer angst about it :smith: :smith: For as many notes this chapter hit the last part was a real gutpunch

It was the rare story with sex that didn't feel like the author was getting off on it, I actually enjoyed it.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

edit: One thing that confused me a bit at the part I'm currently reading - in the Book 3 Epilogue, when Larat shows up, he says they're the Wild Hunt, but earlier it was mentioned that the Wild Hunt was of Spring/Autumn. What's up with that? I thought the Winter version was the Host or something.

Yeah, the Black/Malicia conflict is great and was developed in a way that felt pretty natural/organic. I like how both Black and Catherine develop over the course of the story. It's just kind of tonally strange how much emphasis is given to Catherine starting a movement that will up-end the old Praesi order, when her focus (and that of her friends/underlings) shifts pretty dramatically away from that for what seems to be the rest of the story.

This re-read has given me a strong appreciation for how good PracGuide is as a fantasy story. It's not perfect by any means, but the author is very good at crafting very memorable characters and scenes (action or otherwise) that are very easy for me to visualize (which is something I usually have a very difficult time with). When I try to remember the events of the story, a large number of very iconic events and scenes come to mind, which is something that most other things I read (books or web serials) don't manage to accomplish.

The only characters I have trouble visualizing are the orcs. I always imagine them as having no hair on their heads (except for Juniper, who I visualize as having no hair except for a ponytail like one of the WoW orc hair styles), even though the story explicitly says otherwise. Nauk is a bald purple WoW orc (do not ask me why he is purple). Hakram is a tall, narrow WoW orc

I think it was a lead up to Catherine breaking up with Malcia and going against the established Praesi order. Before Catherine was content with just unfucking Callow and becoming an ally of Praes while leaving Malicia to rule it. But after the ending of Book 3 Catherine is compelled to actually break the old Praesi power structure because she doesn't trust the Praesi nobility.

It was the change from "i may have committed some light treason" to Catherine sidling up to Tariq and going "psst, i heard you wanna depose of the dread empress?".

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Something else I've noticed during my re-read - one of the Empire's legions is apparently lead by a vampire. I like how this is just mentioned off-hand, since as far as I'm aware that is no other mention of the existence of vampires during the story. There's also the one with a dragon general, though that is at least mildly relevant since he fights in the Vales with Black during the crusade.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
That was a hell of a thing.

Ants. :allears:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Read all of divided loyalties during my forced stay at home.

It’s pretty good. Surprisingly good for a choose your own adventure. Can’t normally stand those because having people vote on plot is a great way for really stupid dumb poo poo to happen.

But this turns out okay. Though a bit.. powerfantasy? In a good (?) way?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
“You got the love hearts on the boxer shorts just right,” Jason said as he rubbed the material between his fingers. “This texture is incredible. You were spot on to suggest the mist valley silk.”

drat, all the fics getting spicy today

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Katalepsis: If there was a way to communicate with this Outsider, this shard of the Eye, its minion, and unfeeling animal, whatever it was, I was going to find out.

And I was going to hurt it until I understood why.

Sounding just a smidgen Peter Wattsy there, Heather.

Guilty as charged!

Wait no I'm not Peter Watts.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Mating Rituals 2 was hilarious. I approve.

A big flaming stink posted:

TWI Patreon:
There's speculation on the sub that she may be ace but not aro. Or maybe demi? Also possible she's straight but just has major hangups about anything 'naughty', we've seen how she acts towards any kind of 'drug'.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Cicero posted:

Mating Rituals 2 was hilarious. I approve.

There's speculation on the sub that she may be ace but not aro. Or maybe demi? Also possible she's straight but just has major hangups about anything 'naughty', we've seen how she acts towards any kind of 'drug'.

I just figured she was an uptight religious person.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Not mutually exclusive! There's definitely been a lot to indicate that she probably grew up in a conservative place and is trying to be better. I want to say she struck me as ace/aro, but then again there is are nearly zero romantic relationships in all of TWI unless the relationship predates the characters' introduction into the story. I think like, Jelaqua is the only person in five million words who entered into a brand new relationship over the course of the story.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
TWI patreon: I believe it was mentioned early on she's had long-distance relationships, most likely with chess buddies via email as she was growing up. I suspect face to face encounters did not end well. This is setting up for Niers/Erin sexting. It will end hilariously.

madwhitesnake
Jan 8, 2020

Hi all.

For the past year, I’ve been writing a web novel called Pith.

It’s best classified as transgender epic fantasy, with some notes from psychological horror and cyberpunk. If you like body-swapping, transhumanism, detailed magic systems, or tactical queer wizard battles, it might be up your alley. Fair warning, it’s quite dark.

Been publishing on a slow, but steady update schedule (every other Monday), though I might jump up to once a week during quarantine while I’m locked in my house with nothing to do.

If you end up reading it, I hope you find it entertaining!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Tactical queer wizard battles is a good phrase. I'll give it a shot!

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Holy poo poo (WtC): actual cannibal shia labeouf.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

madwhitesnake posted:

Hi all.

It’s best classified as transgender epic fantasy, with some notes from psychological horror and cyberpunk. If you like body-swapping, transhumanism, detailed magic systems, or tactical queer wizard battles, it might be up your alley. Fair warning, it’s quite dark.

Been publishing on a slow, but steady update schedule (every other Monday), though I might jump up to once a week during quarantine while I’m locked in my house with nothing to do.

This is good.

I would like to order another 500,000 pages and a few HEA.

You could probably get this looked at by tradpub.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

madwhitesnake posted:

Hi all.

Very nice writing, but it is way too uncomfortable for me to read. You should also advertise on other sites though, it will find an audience.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

madwhitesnake posted:

Hi all.

I don't know if this is just me, but this reads very strangely to me. The first brief bit in particular reads in a very stilted, staccato way; if I were you, I would want to go back and clean it up a little bit so it flows a little more smoothly unless that's how you intended for it to be read.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Worth the Candle update was real good, no surprise there.

I'm glad Mary just unceremoniously offed Rosemallow. Definitely the smart move to make, and you can't say she didn't really deserve it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Do people just host their own novel on Wordpress.com? I looked at a few web serial/novel aggregate sites and they all look... not my thing. Authors, do you use those?

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Schneider Heim posted:

Do people just host their own novel on Wordpress.com? I looked at a few web serial/novel aggregate sites and they all look... not my thing. Authors, do you use those?

I host mine on my own site via a WordPress install because I wanted to have complete control over the CSS.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Wordpress is probably the best site to use, yeah.

However, the slow death of WFG (I'm not even sure stories are making it through the submission queue anymore) means that the big sites might be the only way forward for any person who wants eyes on their work.

edit: holy gently caress the last story to get listed there was back in September

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

madwhitesnake posted:

Hi all.

This is real good.

Schneider Heim posted:

Yeah, wordpress is pretty easy to set up and use, and not very expensive either. However, I cross-post every chapter to Royal Road and Scribblehub as well as on my own wordpress site, and I think that drives a lot of traffic.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
TWI 7.14 T: With a pin, in a cave.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.

madwhitesnake posted:

Hi all.

This is extremely good, but it is so affecting that I don't think I can read it until it's finished, or at least until certain plot points are resolved.

Edit: If you're looking for any advice, I'd honestly cut the prologue. It's not bad at all, but it feels kind of disconnected and unneeded, and the first few lines of chapter 1 absolutely grabbed me by the throat by comparison. Web fiction really lives and dies on its first few paragraphs, since unlike normal novels people go in with 0 investment, and it's tremendously strong in that respect.

PoorWeather fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 29, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

madwhitesnake posted:

Hi all.

This is really good and, at least for me, definitely has a "page-turner" sorta aspect to it that makes me want to keep reading.

edit: I might actually go as far as to say it's the best in terms of the "mechanics" of the way it's written (prose, pacing, etc, not sure how else to describe it). Most web serials have something that feels a little "off" about them, generally due to being written by amateurs, but this doesn't have that problem. I was very surprised at the extent to which I was almost immediately drawn in.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 30, 2020

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Eyyy, only time I'm gonna bump this because it feels weird shilling but there's two days left to get your votes in. Into the Mire got longlisted for a major literary prize and they're counting votes/noms to create the shortlist now. If you've enjoyed Mire or just wanna help a goon out, there's two days left to fill out that form. I've even written a handy guide to filling out their confusing form.

Anomalous Blowout posted:

Hey so uh I feel weird posting this but Hieronymous and The Shortest Path are both chill with it so I guess I might as well.

Into the Mire has been officially longlisted for my country's highest literary honour for fantasy:

:captainpop: :captainpop: :captainpop:

This is, to put it mildly, extremely cool. I have also since been informed that at least one SFWA member has nominated Mire for a loving Nebula too, holy balls.

The email goes on to say that if too many works are nominated in a category, the final ballot may be chosen by number of total nominations. With Shortest Path's blessing, I'm linking the nominations form here if anyone wanted to chuck in a vote for me. Since it's an awards committee, the nominations form is of course a slightly outdated google form.

You don't need to be a member to vote and all you need to do is provide some really simple answers: title (Into the Mire), category (Best Collected Work), author pen name (Casey Lucas), publisher (Self), and contact (https://www.intothemire.com). If you felt like chucking in a nom for my short story as well, you can read it here and input the publisher as Sponge Magazine and the contact url as https://www.sponge.nz.

On a side note, after a moving house/trapped sick in another country/quarantine related delay, Mire is now updating again. :toot: I've also made a complete epub of the first book available on Patreon which will also be going public soon. But if you want a copy and aren't on my Patreon please feel free to just PM me.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I really feel like Wildbow shouldn't have written a story about trauma and recovery if he thinks that "Just kill yourself, everyone will be better off without you." is a good note to end on.

VV Edit: Ward, actually

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 30, 2020

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I really feel like Wildbow shouldn't have written a story about trauma and recovery if he thinks that "Just kill yourself, everyone will be better off without you." is a good note to end on.

I was going to ask which story you are talking about, then i realized both pact and worm and possibly twig end like that.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

VV Edit: Ward, actually

Holy poo poo. Could you summarize what happened? I’m sure as hell not going to read through it if that’s how it ends.

(I got through about half of it before I dropped it, so I’m familiar enough with the core conceit.)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

blastron posted:

Holy poo poo. Could you summarize what happened? I’m sure as hell not going to read through it if that’s how it ends.

(I got through about half of it before I dropped it, so I’m familiar enough with the core conceit.)

Ward is so absolutely cooked that if I summed up what was going on in it this thread would say I'm making it up and trolling. But, yes, that poster is right.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Ward is so absolutely cooked that if I summed up what was going on in it this thread would say I'm making it up and trolling. But, yes, that poster is right.
:allears:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

blastron posted:

I've been skimming/reading summaries for two or three arcs now, but to sum it up: Without Scion to maintain things, particularly-traumatized capes (and/or those who've been exposed to transdimensional bullshit) are having broken second triggers, being devoured by their shard and becoming Titans, basically mini-Endbringers. They've separated into two camps: those led by Titanified Contessa, who wants to blow up all possible Earths, and the Simurgh, who wants to torture humanity for billions of years. I don't 100% understand the heroes' plan (I assumed it was a red herring and they'd come up with something else), but it involves a massive suicide pact between all the heroes... which is admittedly a step up from the previous iteration of the plan, which was a total genocide of all capes everywhere. Needless to say, the entire cast I've come to know and mostly-love going full Jonestown is a pretty loving sour note to end on in a story that at least tried to be about the healing power of therapy and mutual support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I've been skimming/reading summaries for two or three arcs now, but to sum it up: Without Scion to maintain things, particularly-traumatized capes (and/or those who've been exposed to transdimensional bullshit) are having broken second triggers, being devoured by their shard and becoming Titans, basically mini-Endbringers. They've separated into two camps: those led by Titanified Contessa, who wants to blow up all possible Earths, and the Simurgh, who wants to torture humanity for billions of years. I don't 100% understand the heroes' plan (I assumed it was a red herring and they'd come up with something else), but it involves a massive suicide pact between all the heroes... which is admittedly a step up from the previous iteration of the plan, which was a total genocide of all capes everywhere. Needless to say, the entire cast I've come to know and mostly-love going full Jonestown is pretty loving sour note to end on in a story that at least tried to be about the healing power of therapy and mutual support.

Thanks, I appreciate it! Also,

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

gently caress