Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Zugzwang posted:

Has someone made a lovely parody called "My Corona" yet?

but why keep the My?

other options, Bye Corona, Die Corona, Why Corona, Lie Corona, Hi Corona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bleusilences posted:

Well I am hosed, that's where I live. And whats worst is I am surrounded by old folks homes.(Well there is a bunch down the street).

You're not really any more or less hosed than before the lockdown

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Zugzwang posted:

https://twitter.com/alyankovic/status/1234923352810119168

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
That would be a word crime.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Rosalind posted:

A research center I'm affiliated with is launching a coronavirus tracking study. Right now it's just a survey but the hope is to offer free at-home coronavirus testing in a few months if/when it becomes available. Please enroll in the study (all US residents 18+ are eligible) and let me know if you have any questions. I figured goons would like the opportunity to help further coronavirus research.

https://cunyisph.org/chase-covid/

Signup link is dead, add it to the CFR

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Zugzwang posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjDidfSc52c

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

DeBlasio: We should lock down NYC!!!!

Cuomo: Shut the gently caress up, idiot. We're not locking down NYC. Everyone stay calm. We're gonna work on this together.

Trump: We're gonna lock down the Tri-State Area. :byewhore:

DeBlasio: :rip:

Cuomo:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
This is the only corona parody video anyone needs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGT5xYm6EUI

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Bleusilences posted:

Well I am hosed, that's where I live. And whats worst is I am surrounded by old folks homes.(Well there is a bunch down the street).

It's just been announced that they will announce the new measures tomorrow, sunday.

I'm in Montreal too. (salut!)

quote:

La santé publique de Montréal reporte à dimanche l’annonce de nouvelles mesures de confinement sévères qui toucheront tous les habitants de l’île pour tenter de freiner la progression du coronavirus.

Ces mesures, qui découle de l’état d’urgence sanitaire décrété vendredi, devaient être présentées samedi, avait indiqué la Dre Mylène Drouin, directrice de la Santé publique de Montréal.

Mais selon nos informations, elles sont si complexes à mettre en place qu’il a été convenu d’attendre 24 heures de plus avant d’en informer le public.

https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2...-1Ol3Zy8_L34bxk

This is literally the last hours of a free Montreal or what's left of it.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

WaltherFeng posted:

This rhetoric is only used because people are hoarding professional grade safety gear while doctors and nurses have to use trash bags

Which was moronic because when they say masks don’t help it became obvious to everyone that our health officials are lying to us.

If they had said “Every mask you hoard leaves a doctor without one, donate it to your hospital today” they would have preserved public trust AND medical professionals would probably have more PPE. But that would have required admitting the coronavirus wasn’t Fake News.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Nurge posted:

Basically no western countries did any better at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_New_Zealand :colbert:

Early lockdown, wage subsidies announced at the same time, 0 deaths so far (won't last of course)

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Wafflecopper posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_New_Zealand :colbert:

Early lockdown, wage subsidies announced at the same time, 0 deaths so far (won't last of course)

I think you'll find that's the second most eastest country there is. :colbert:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Computer Serf posted:

Signup link is dead, add it to the CFR

They were making a few changes to the site this morning but all the join the study buttons seem to be working fine for me. What isn't working? I can pass it along to the team behind it.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Gonna go on the record and revert from my position of "normies don't need and shouldn't wear masks" to "masks can have a positive impact and should thus be used by anybody who has them available". I was riffing about this earlier in the thread and while I still think the medical grade stuff should be available to public health workers first and foremost, if you have access to some sort of mask, wearing it is cool and good.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

luv 2 riff about public safety

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

North Korea has no cases yet. :colbert:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Son of Rodney posted:

Gonna go on the record and revert from my position of "normies don't need and shouldn't wear masks" to "masks can have a positive impact and should thus be used by anybody who has them available". I was riffing about this earlier in the thread and while I still think the medical grade stuff should be available to public health workers first and foremost, if you have access to some sort of mask, wearing it is cool and good.

The CDC is supposedly going to start recommending this advice in the next week.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Son of Rodney posted:

yeah literally just wearing a scarf over your face will reduce both inbound and outbound droplets. wear a loving mask, but save the real poo poo for vulnerable people and those caring for infected folks

handwashing is similar. the only flawless solution would literally just go through life constantly surgical-scrubbing nonstop. but "less than perfectly flawless" does not equal "pointless". literally just sticking your hands under running water and scrubbing for two seconds without soap can reduce the microbial load on your fingers by half. any amount of handwashing you fit into your routine, no matter how slapdash, sloppy, or soapless, is an improvement over not washing your hands. so wash your loving hands

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 28, 2020

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Haramstufe Rot posted:

wha the gently caress

is that fake?

The WHO is basically an arm of the CCP at this point.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

teardrop posted:

Which was moronic because when they say masks don’t help it became obvious to everyone that our health officials are lying to us.

If they had said “Every mask you hoard leaves a doctor without one, donate it to your hospital today” they would have preserved public trust AND medical professionals would probably have more PPE. But that would have required admitting the coronavirus wasn’t Fake News.

The n95 masks that are in such shortage don't pose any additional benefit to most people so it's not lying to say that they don't help. Wearing one out to go grocery shopping is just obnoxious.

I'm not so sure that your second message would take, people are really selfish.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

EimiYoshikawa posted:

The WHO is basically an arm of the CCP at this point.

Yeah this. No one should under any circumstances trust what the World Health Organization says. I would trust the CDC more, I have seen no reason personally to distrust their information, and that is honestly high praise since its a branch of the U.S. government. :v: But here is the full video for complete context https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLvg0KnTKhU along with a choice tweet of the WHO official:

https://twitter.com/annafifield/status/1231939336284688384

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

The n95 masks that are in such shortage don't pose any additional benefit to most people so it's not lying to say that they don't help. Wearing one out to go grocery shopping is just obnoxious.

I'm not so sure that your second message would take, people are really selfish.

if all you have is an old n95 mask and you have a cough or are sneezing, wear that sumbitch out in public everywhere you go. it will definitely stop meeting n95 spec if it hasn't already, but it will still stop droplets. just wash your goddamn hands after you touch the fuckin mask

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGQm0nQcJXA

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

like unless you can visibly see holes in an n95 mask or it is soaking wet, it is still stopping droplets. calling them "useless" is dumb as hell. they dont offer any ADDITIONAL benefit OVER DROPLET MASKS to anyone outside of a healthcare setting, but they're still going to stop droplets

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

i have a surgical mask, but just one. is it okay to wash it or boil it or something so that i can reuse it? my sister also gave me a heavy duty mask (with those two bulges on each side and removable filters) that makes me look like i'm wearing power armor from fallout 2, but it kind of feels strange to wear it, as it's so over the top.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I work in a small rural hospital and clean instruments and equipment for the OR as well as the rest of the hospital. We have had to intubate so many patients in the last few days, it's unreal. We only have a handful of CMAC video intubation handles and they're getting used constantly and have an hour turnaround time minimum. The handles cost 5 grand a piece at discount. We're relatively okay here, but I can't even imagine what it's like in New York right now.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Sorry, bit late, but what was the trump ‘half’ insult suppose to mean?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Mox Hombre posted:

i have a surgical mask, but just one. is it okay to wash it or boil it or something so that i can reuse it? my sister also gave me a heavy duty mask (with those two bulges on each side and removable filters) that makes me look like i'm wearing power armor from fallout 2, but it kind of feels strange to wear it, as it's so over the top.

soak it in a 1/3c-per-gallon of water solution of plain household bleach for at least ten minutes, hang-dry it outside. when it starts to fall apart, switch to a scarf or some other sort of cloth mask. if you start developing a cough/sneeze or need to care for a sick person, the painter's mask should provide a better seal and filtration, just make sure to disinfect the non-filter parts (dont soak the charcoal filters, you wont really be able to clean them but they should continue stopping droplets as long as they're dry)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mox Hombre posted:

Some folks have said 30 minutes in a 160F oven will kill the roni. That probably isn't hot enough to melt the mask. Just leaving it in a paper bag for 4 days will also probably work, if you're only going out once a week or something.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/reuse-face-mask-coronavirus_l_5e78dbf9c5b63c3b6494ad80

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rolo posted:

Thread moves fast, did this turn out to not be a big deal?

Well, its the same chloroquine study that a lot of people are unsure because they hosed around with removing patients from the trial while it was on-going, and some of authors have pretty credible allegations of academic fraud in their past. Oh, and one of the co-authors is the editor of the journal it was published in.

We're not gonna get any quality, peer reviewed research for some time, good science takes a while

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 28, 2020

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

mrfart posted:

half whit halfwit

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

I said come in! posted:

North Korea has no cases yet. :colbert:

At testament to the awesome power of immortal juche

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

mrfart posted:

Because the senators or governor or whatever name is whitmer or something

Half-whit

Really biting stuff from the Orange Goblin

Edit: drat YOU GOOGLE BUTT

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
But can I walk into a bank wearing a bandana to cover my face?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

This is fine and not at all indicative that the most dangerous authoritarian regime of our era has compromised a global agency and turned it into a propaganda vehicle. To believe otherwise would be wrongthink! :downs:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Rime posted:

This is fine and not at all indicative that the most dangerous authoritarian regime of our era has compromised a global agency and turned it into a propaganda vehicle. To believe otherwise would be wrongthink! :downs:

whoa the trump white house owns the WHO??

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

I just went to the grocery store to get some necessities and a liquor store.

There was something so loving troubling on everyone's face, in everyone's gaze.

When the daily life initially stopped and suddenly there were waiting lines everywhere, getting asked if you had recently travelled or felt sick by a store's security staff before being asked to disinfect your hands. People were still a bit jolly and keeping their spirits through it. A common effort through though times but we'll get through it, basically.

Today's vibe was something of a taste of acceptance that everything has changed forever. I'm not sure how to put it in words. It just felt like the last few days where the "previous normal" was still recent enough that there was still a part of us still hoping we'd go back to it.

Or maybe it's just me.

In any case, things will never be like that "previous normal" again.

Just glad I went to the liquor store for potentially the last time. I'm not sure when's the next time alcohol will make this somehow more bearable.

I miss when Trump was the biggest threat to mankind, now we got Trump, a pandemic, and a social order that will soon hang on very little.

Good luck everyone. :(

e: Meanwhile, there's still places in the USA where they wanna catch the neo-flu to own the libs. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

cool, thanks for the info. i'm kind of paranoid when going out to get food and i try to go like once a week.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Part of the stress of this has just been keeping up with like what are the adequate protections the average citizen should take to protect himself and the greater good. It's dizzying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Bronze Fonz posted:

I just went to the grocery store to get some necessities and a liquor store.

There was something so loving troubling on everyone's face, in everyone's gaze.

When the daily life initially stopped and suddenly there were waiting lines everywhere, getting asked if you had recently travelled or felt sick by a store's security staff before being asked to disinfect your hands. People were still a bit jolly and keeping their spirits through it. A common effort through though times but we'll get through it, basically.

Today's vibe was something of a taste of acceptance that everything has changed forever. I'm not sure how to put it in words. It just felt like the last few days where the "previous normal" was still recent enough that there was still a part of us still hoping we'd go back to it.

Or maybe it's just me.

In any case, things will never be like that "previous normal" again.

Just glad I went to the liquor store for potentially the last time. I'm not sure when's the next time alcohol will make this somehow more bearable.

I miss when Trump was the biggest threat to mankind, now we got Trump, a pandemic, and a social order that will soon hang on very little.

Good luck everyone. :(

I went to the liquor store too. They've shifted to mandatory ordering online and curbside pickup, but I got stuff to have enough Manhattans to last a while