Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

ReindeerF posted:

Texas is not The South, Goddammit, regardless of what the many sideways carpetbagging transplants and neo-confederate Texan dresser uppers would have you believe :/

(East Texas is The South, if I'm being honest, but we all make fun of it)

The border between South and Southwest is where Hispanics become the dominant minority instead of African Americans. You can see it pretty clearly on maps like the NYT analysis of the last census.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

ReindeerF posted:

Texas is not The South, Goddammit, regardless of what the many sideways carpetbagging transplants and neo-confederate Texan dresser uppers would have you believe :/

(East Texas is The South, if I'm being honest, but we all make fun of it)

tbh I say that DFW is southern Oklahoma and it gets people really mad!!!!

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Tiger King is the best distillation of "Oklahoma" there is.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kunabomber posted:

You cant say this and not post the clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYFtskeZrNg

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReindeerF posted:

One of my doctor friends on the Gulf Coast messaged me today and said, "The Governor needs to give this a name, like Coronavirus Selena or whatever, then people will start taking it seriously. I can't count how many patients have said something like, 'This is the worst thing I've seen since Carla or Celia.'" I lo'd because it's true. Just name it as a hurricane and the whole Gulf Coast will be like, "Oh okay, that's what we do."

call it ron paul disease

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In a hypothetical scenario where the US divides into separate sovereign states, does Texas stay unified? So often I see it as its own complete unit on fantasy postapocalyptic maps.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Kunabomber posted:

It’s like a three way meeting point. South Dallas is a part of the south, okay cliff is the southwest, and north Dallas is southern Oklahoma

Because Dallas is segregated like crazy

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

SlothfulCobra posted:

In a hypothetical scenario where the US divides into separate sovereign states, does Texas stay unified? So often I see it as its own complete unit on fantasy postapocalyptic maps.
The chances Dallas, Austin, and Houston remain as a single political entity are slim

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
my hometown and chud central Odessa, TX is probably going shelter in place Monday with exception for whatever definition of "essential business" they come up with.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

texas would split based on "beans in chili? y/n"

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Is this a thing?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Disnesquick posted:

Is this a thing?

you mean beans in chili, or extremely strong and identity-defining opinions on it?

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

you mean beans in chili, or extremely strong and identity-defining opinions on it?

I've never once encountered chili without beans but then again, chili in the UK doesn't have chilli pepper in it and is basically a bland mess. I've also yet to encounter this sectarian divide in Texas so I guess the latter?

enraged_camel posted:

ok let me stop you right there

In my defense, I did flee my feudal homeland.

Active Quasar fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 29, 2020

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Disnesquick posted:

chili in the UK

ok let me stop you right there

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
According to some circles Texas chili is a beanless affair with big honking chunks of beef. It’s good, but I hate to get militant about how folks approach something that everyone should be able to cook

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

SlothfulCobra posted:

It'll be like the Islamic Revolution in Iran. The rest of us will enlist each other to defeat the Yankee Agressors, then, after about a year of bickering, we'll get together to slaughter Travis County's militia (I mean it's 50% Californians at this point, who cares) and form a loose coalition under Houston's generally benevolent leadership, which will produce the first openly lesbian Ayatollah of a major nation.

EDIT: The capitol building will be relocated to the former Brady's Landing on Brady Island in the Port of Houston's ship channel.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 29, 2020

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Kull the Conqueror posted:

According to some circles Texas chili is a beanless affair with big honking chunks of beef. It’s good, but I hate to get militant about how folks approach something that everyone should be able to cook

Will this get me shot?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yeah a good bean-less chili can be absolute perfection, but if we still call what Torchy's or Taco Ranch sells as tacos then why be sticklers over beans in chili.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

the secret to chili: people who are the most opinionated about it are always wrong

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The Terlingua real estate scammer crowd started all that poo poo. In reality, it's like red beans and rice. You can read all the fancy recipes, but this poo poo was cooked by poor people who didn't have a ton of time or a fridge. I have a painstaking multi-dump recipe I've worked on for years (no beans), but I'm pretty sure cookie fed the trail boss whatever the gently caress would tenderize in the pot after a few hours.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

The capitol building will be relocated to the former Brady's Landing on Brady Island in the Port of Houston's ship channel.

we did it once and we'll do it again, swamp texan

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

i say swears online posted:

we did it once and we'll do it again, swamp texan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rt1VicF5-0

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drat dude that place sounds like it sucks

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Abbot's on TV, although it looks like they're using RealPlayer.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Abbot's on TV, although it looks like they're using RealPlayer.

link?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Times when it would be nice not to have an empty suit third-tier, Business Plot apparatchik Governor.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/evanasmith/status/1244353177304076288?s=20

christ

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAEpxIpu-wY

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
i actually miss perry at this point

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
speaking of good chili

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sir Tonk posted:

i actually miss perry at this point
It's like used to say - at least he was a homegrown good old boy and you could understand his corruption. It was dumb and I didn't support him or anything, but he made sense. Abbot is - what's that West Wing quote? - the guy who gets Satan a pack of cigarettes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hahaha

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

So what happens to everyone we already let out? Do they get asked politely to return to their cell or are they still good to go?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReindeerF posted:

It's like used to say - at least he was a homegrown good old boy and you could understand his corruption. It was dumb and I didn't support him or anything, but he made sense. Abbot is - what's that West Wing quote? - the guy who gets Satan a pack of cigarettes.

and then sues the cigarette manufacturer

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

enraged_camel posted:

i honestly don't get how people are all-in on one or the other. it really depends on what you're using it for

if you're using the chili as a condiment, beans are a weird and bad thing to add, you don't want beans on your chili dog or chili fries

however, if you're eating chili on its own, you gotta have the beans and beanless chili is instead the weird and bad option

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
neverbiden and neverbeans

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Re: Abbott

quote:

On July 14, 1984, at age 26, Abbott was paralyzed below waist-level when an oak tree fell on him while he was jogging following a storm.[7][8] He had two steel rods implanted in his spine, underwent extensive rehabilitation at TIRR Memorial Hermann in Houston, and has used a wheelchair ever since.[9][10] He sued the homeowner and a tree service company, resulting in an insurance settlement that provides him with lump sum payments every three years until 2022 along with monthly payments for life; both are adjusted "to keep up with the rising cost of living".[11] As of August 2013, the monthly payment amount was US$14,000.

Come to your own conclusions...

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Chili has no beans. If you add beans to what would otherwise be a chili, you've made a chili inspired stew.
But whatever, eat/cook what you want. Just know that chili ain't got beans.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
The only wrong way to make chili is to not have chilies in it. Now stfu about beans/no-beans. Go hog wild, is a poor people food, whatever you have on hand goes in the pot.

I’m sure I made this exact same post in 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

enraged_camel posted:

Re: Abbott

Come to your own conclusions...

While collecting a lifetime payout from that accident that will amount to several million dollars, then attorney general Abbott supported the bill that resulted in a tort cap of $250k in Texas. My conclusion is I wish he was under a bigger, heavier tree.