Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mithaldu posted:

is "following to the source" some kind of magic ability that is only given to 1 out of 1000 internet users or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is still absolutely no way their infection and death rates dropped to almost zero overnight like China is claiming.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
While it's probably true that the reported number of coronavirus deaths in China isn't accurate, lol at that super presumptive math being touted in that tweet. Maybe...check into the other mortuaries first?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

VikingSkull posted:

no link in the Shanghaiist article goes to a page that comes to the conclusion you posted

maybe I'm dumb, can you link it here

https://time.com/5811222/wuhan-coronavirus-death-toll/

It's the "bloomberg" link on shanghaiist.

Busy Bee posted:

So you're speculating that since Wuhan has 7 mortuaries and that one mortuary may have received 5,000 urns (not confirmed) that there are 40,000 urns total?

I have friends in Wuhan who I communicate with. You know that in general China is not a technically illiterate country, right? Many people use VPN's to communicate with people outside of China and if you think that a city with 11 million people had nearly 40,000 deaths instead of 2,500 deaths - there would be more people from within the city talking about this.
No, that's what Josh Rogin and a lot of racist people are saying. I'm saying Josh is lying and explain that over 3 months the city sees 56000 cremations normally, so after 2.5 months of lockdowns it's not unusual to have 40000 cremation urns to be picked up.

I said come in! posted:

There is still absolutely no way their infection and death rates dropped to almost zero overnight like China is claiming.

Sure, china is lying too. I'm only addressing the "Wuhan actually had 40000 covid-19 victims" lie peddled by racists.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 29, 2020

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Mithaldu posted:

https://time.com/5811222/wuhan-coronavirus-death-toll/

It's the "bloomberg" link on shanghaiist.

No, that's what Josh Rogin and a lot of racist people are saying. I'm saying Josh is lying and explain over 3 months the city sees 56000 cremations normally, so after 2.5 months of lockdowns it's not unusual to have 40000 cremation urns to be picked up.

Sure, china is lying too. I'm only addressing the "Wuhan actually had 40000 covid-19 victims" lie peddled by racists.

ok, so I was dumb, thank you

this is where I make you angry

Chinese state data, published "2020-03-13"

lol

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
"we are better than china we are better than china!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into an ICU patient on oxygen

necroid
May 14, 2009

Det_no posted:

"we are better than china we are better than china!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into an ICU patient on oxygen

lol

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

ok, so I was dumb, thank you

this is where I make you angry

Chinese state data, published "2020-03-13"

lol

Cheers. But the data on Q4-19 being published 03-13 doesn't make it seem suspicious or invalid, given it is in line with the data of Q4-18 and Q4-17, published in previous years.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mithaldu posted:

Cheers. But the data on Q4-19 being published 03-13 doesn't make it seem suspicious or invalid, given it is in line with the data of Q4-18 and Q4-17, published in previous years.

yeah the numbers being a copy/paste from 2018/2017 is not suspicious at all. there definitely should be no change during a deadly pandemic

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel like at this point looking at the daily stats of infected, recovered, and dead, is a waste of time. It's clear that multiple countries are not reporting accurately to a significant degree. It's not just China, the U.S., and Russia are also really bad about reporting. Russia is intentionally hiding numbers, and the U.S. is just incompetent, and maybe a bit of hiding numbers. A lot of other countries want to report accurately but simply can't, they do not have the means to do it.

Just take what is available now, and multiply it all by 3 or 4 times and you have what is probably the real numbers.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

i'm sorry, english is only my second language

did i make some kind of mistake and "in line" actually means "copy-pasted", not "following a general trend"?

also, i didn't know we already were in a pandemic in october, november, december of 2019! hm.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's racisms if you don't trust china's number, because science

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

amusingly the sheer and massive intent to which the usa is lying is 100% in line with what people suspect china is doing

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Rutibex posted:

yeah the numbers being a copy/paste from 2018/2017 is not suspicious at all. there definitely should be no change during a deadly pandemic

there was no pandemic, even in wuhan, in Q4 2019

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

d0s posted:

he's talking about things like these:

which are designed for working with chemicals and stuff and not medical environments so they protect from stuff getting in but not going out, probably so it's easier to breathe through.

what happens if you sneeze in this, does it blast off of your face or does it work out, i've always wondered

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Found out a friend of mine in nyc probably had the roni. A bunch of her friends tested positive, one going outside to walk his dog while sick (so hosed). She was the sickest she’s ever been for 3 days but has recovered since. She says it’s been harder to find delivery groceries because stores are closing up as more people get sick.

Unfortunately she didn’t go get tested since she figured the test would be better for someone sicker so she won’t count under official cases nor recovered.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mithaldu posted:

amusingly the sheer and massive intent to which the usa is lying is 100% in line with what people suspect china is doing

The thing with the U.S. is that each state health department reports independently. Where in China, each hospital reports to the Chinese government and then they go from there if they want to make that public or not. There are blatant examples of states just randomly deciding what is and isn't a COVID-19 death, a lot of that appears to be lack of training, incompetence, and a broken healthcare system that involves multiple people making these decisions. The federal government doesn't report for all of the United States, thank god, cause otherwise the lying would be just as bad as China, without a doubt.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

It is just as bad tho, worse actually.

At least at the height of things in china the guideline was "anyone with symptoms is a confirmed case", and anyone with any suspicion was being tested as well as their contact person.

Meanwhile in the usa ONLY a tested case is counted, and people who're not critical aren't being tested at all. The underreporting is absolutely massive.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

unpacked robinhood posted:

Til the boomer reserve in Florida has
forums

I was bored and clicked. Some of these old timers are passing wisdom.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mithaldu posted:

At least at the height of things in china the guideline was "anyone with symptoms is a confirmed case", and anyone with any suspicion was being tested as well as their contact person.

Meanwhile in the usa ONLY a tested case is counted, and people who're not critical aren't being tested at all. The underreporting is absolutely massive.

I partially agree with you, but the two countries are still vastly different. The U.S. is not reporting all cases because it's a matter of resources, and lack of training / knowledge. There really is no reason to believe it's sheer malice, like it is in China. The lack of test kits in the U.S. is a massive failure on this country, it's unacceptable and needed to be fixed weeks ago, but it's not fair to say that it's out right malice on the same level as China's reporting. The U.S. continues to report record breaking infection and death rates, our official numbers are climbing, that would not be happening if we were in line with China's intentional lack of reporting.

It's also not true that only critical people are being tested. I know three people personally who were tested this week for the virus and they showed no obvious symptoms of the disease. This is in Seattle, WA, one of the worst hit areas of the virus whose hospitals are overwhelmed right now.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 29, 2020

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Mithaldu posted:

The positive criteria constantly changed but the anyone with symptoms was never only anyone with symptoms. From Feb 12th - 20th, the criteria was anyone with symptoms as confirmed by a chest scan is a confirmed case.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I partially agree with you, but the two countries are still vastly different. The U.S. is not reporting all cases because it's a matter of resources, and lack of training / knowledge. There really is no reason to believe it's sheer malice, like it is in China. The lack of test kits in the U.S. is a massive failure on this country, it's unacceptable and needed to be fixed weeks ago, but it's not fair to say that it's out right malice on the same level as China's reporting. The U.S. continues to report record breaking infection and death rates, our official numbers are climbing, that would not be happening if we were in line with China's intentional lack of reporting.

Why don't we believe China again? They actually like, took steps at all and also they're BCGd up

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Incorrect numbers because a lack of testing is no where near the same thing as purposefully withholding data you have.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Why don't we believe China again? They actually like, took steps at all and also they're BCGd up

Because their infection and death rate dropped to close to zero overnight in February. This is extreme levels of magic and isn't realistic from how this is going in the rest of world. Compare it with South Korea, and you see how much of a lie this is.

The top graph is China. These sort of drops are just not possible. This is so incredibly blatant.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

There is no significant drop in the china graph. The spike isn't an actual count of newly infected on that day, but all the people "with symptoms" from the previous weeks being added all at once on that one day.

Also, depending on what your source for that chart is, timezone shenanigans will also cause inaccuracies. Let me get the actual numbers reported by china itself.

Darse
Jan 14, 2008
Wake up young man.

Mithaldu posted:

There is no significant drop in the china graph. The spike isn't an actual count of newly infected on that day, but all the people "with symptoms" from the previous weeks being added all at once on that one day.

Also, depending on what your source for that chart is, timezone shenanigans will also cause inaccuracies. Let me get the actual numbers reported by china itself.

Some good self own here.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mithaldu posted:

No, this is from John Hopkins CoronaVirus Research Center. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html Its only counting cases reported that day. And sorry, but China government reported sources are not acceptable.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

This thread could use less China and US mishegas imo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

sweet thursday posted:

This thread could use less China and US mishegas imo

Both countries suck poo poo, just so we are clear. There is no us vs. them in this pandemic. Both have massively failed on different levels to respond to this outbreak.

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Home isolation is meaning that people are having to cut their own hair for the first time ever and the results are finally starting to get posted to the internet

More: https://imgur.com/gallery/ZfoQsMT

My google image search for 100% soap clothing had very disappointing results :(

I've been growing my hair out for about a year with the intention of donating. Now I'm looking at suffering through a Georgia summer with hair down past my shoulders... On the plus side, the horror of those images should give me the strength to not just go hog-wild with a set of kitchen shears.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

https://ncov.dxy.cn/ncovh5/view/pneumonia_area?from=dxy&source=&link=&share=&aid=420000

The big obvious spike is the rule change to retroactively include non-tested cases as confirmed, i.e. if it were "real" data the spike would be distributed over the previous days.

And from 02-18 to 02-19 there's a drop because they changed the rules again to include only tested patients as confirmed. Don't have a link for it, but i saw the news go around in the HK circuit.

After that you still see hundreds of new infections added daily while things slowly peter out.

I said come in! posted:

No, this is from John Hopkins CoronaVirus Research Center. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html Its only counting cases reported that day. And sorry, but China government reported sources are not acceptable.
Yeah, i've used their data and had a bit of involvement with their github. They're not loving magicians, they just copy-paste whatever numbers china reported, from the site i linked, only with some shifts in time due to not being on it 24/7 and timezone shenanigans.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Darse posted:

Some good self own here.

You people are really incredibly stupid idiots. I said "reported" there for a reason, because what Hopkins claims are the numbers china reported are not the numbers china actually reported.

That those numbers are not the actual numbers in reality is a separate issue.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
If you look at sentinel 2 satellite imagery for the periods of February and March you can clearly see 23,000,000 souls floating up to heaven from China. Gotta do a little bandwidth math there but the numbers don’t lie

Darse
Jan 14, 2008
Wake up young man.

Mithaldu posted:

You people are really incredibly stupid idiots. I said "reported" there for a reason, because what Hopkins claims are the numbers china reported are not the numbers china actually reported.

The irony here is delightful.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Let me get the actual fake numbers

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mithaldu posted:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Man it'd be really nice if calling people racist over not trusting the Chinese government was bannable. It's an authoritarian regime with a long and storied history of confirmed lies, some still ongoing, it's not a race issue at all.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mithaldu posted:

You people are really incredibly stupid idiots

You're the one eating up China's propaganda right now. This is the country that originally told the world that human to human transmission of this disease wasn't even possible. But sure, they totally have cured this disease and have some how completely avoided a new wave of the outbreak as they send 1.5 billion people back to work all at once, on top of allowing people to enter the country again, a completely realistic and not at all magic feat.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

[quote="Ornamental Dingbat" post="503383425"]

[quote="Ornamental Dingbat" post="503054629"]
100,000! WE DID IT BABY!

11 days ago. Looks like we'll hit 200,000 in the next day.

7 days ago. We'll pass 400,000 today

2 days ago. Just hit 500,000
[/quote]

27 hours ago, about to hit 600,000
[/quote]

About the same amount of time to 700,000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Plastik posted:

Man it'd be really nice if calling people racist over not trusting the Chinese government was bannable. It's an authoritarian regime with a long and storied history of confirmed lies, some still ongoing, it's not a race issue at all.

Tienanmen Square doesn't even exist!