Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Sampatrick posted:

This is extremely racist please go gently caress yourself

Want to unpack this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
queso is disgusting

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Just cause you keep screaming it's racism doesn't mean it's racist. I don't think I ever met a single Mexican American that is like loving Tex Mex, I love it! I'm also not going to go drop $80 for fajitas at Lupe Tortillas and get MARGs omg don't you love Mexican food!

I still remember my first year at A&M back in Fall of 2000 and not understanding that people were going crazy about having queso. "Let's make queso!" "You having queso at your party?" I was like why do all these white people want to eat cheese. Legit didn't know they were talking about cheese dip.

Is this like some reverse racism I'm experiencing or am I getting some joke played on me in this thread?

Dissing Tex-Mex is making GBS threads on white californian transplant heritage.

(the food is also generally good as hell)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Do Californian transplants even go to places like El Patio? I figured Chuy’s was as close as they can handle to old school lovely texmex.

At least no one is putting French fries in their burritos yet.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Trabisnikof posted:

Do Californian transplants even go to places like El Patio? I figured Chuy’s was as close as they can handle to old school lovely texmex.

Just wait until we get legal weed in 2069. I'll do it myself just to try it.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

bird cooch posted:

Want to unpack this?

Just replace tex mex with literally any other cuisine and it's pretty transparent. If you said that about soul food, you'd be called out for being a racist poo poo. If you said that about chinese food, you'd be called out for being a racist poo poo. So on and so forth. When you say that a cuisine isn't worthy of being made gourmet, you are implicitly saying that it is a worse cuisine - because it doesn't deserve to be made the best possible version of that cuisine. This is a racially charged sentiment because, obviously, the cuisines that this is said about are those that are made by groups that historically were impoverished or were discriminated against. The food that they made isn't worthy because they made compromise with poverty. Do you see how this is inherently a racialized statement that discriminates against those communities?

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Just cause you keep screaming it's racism doesn't mean it's racist. I don't think I ever met a single Mexican American that is like loving Tex Mex, I love it! I'm also not going to go drop $80 for fajitas at Lupe Tortillas and get MARGs omg don't you love Mexican food!

You're such a piece of poo poo lmao. First of all, there are a gently caress ton of hispanic people in Texas that absolutely love dishes like fajitas and tortilla soup and breakfast tacos and so on. I have literally no idea what the gently caress you're talking about with that. Second of all, the implication here that you expect to pay dog poo poo for tex mex is why all those cooks get paid like poo poo - because they can't charge the price that they should or people like you get pissed off that they want to be paid a reasonable wage. I also love how you pretend like all tex mex is the commercialized nonsense you get from places like lupe or chuy's instead of the mom and pop stores that you see all over Texas and especially all over the place in the Valley.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Trabisnikof posted:

That was an unpleasant surprise on my first trip to California.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

Just replace tex mex with literally any other cuisine and it's pretty transparent.

British food is loving terrible bland trash for the cap-doffing masses that buy commemoration mugs every time the monarchy spawns anew. There, I said it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I moved here from Phoenix about 14 years ago and I miss Cali-Mex. There's only 1 place in town I can find a half decent Chimi.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Tortilla soup lol. gently caress off now I know this is a troll

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I'm glad to learn they don't get approval from you, the Last True Mexican

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
While I agree that ‘omg Tex mex isn’t authentic enough’ is hella racist, and ignores the immigrant experience thats very important to Texan communities, you’re making the reasonable, not racist side look unhinged Sampatrick.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

okay i know there'a lot going on but i think everyone needs to take a chill pill and relax

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Captain Monkey posted:

While I agree that ‘omg Tex mex isn’t authentic enough’ is hella racist, and ignores the immigrant experience thats very important to Texan communities, you’re making the reasonable, not racist side look unhinged Sampatrick.

That sentence doesn't make any sense, and even if it did I'd caution against feeding the troll.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also, it is my experience that a decently large chunk of first and second-gen immigrants get mad as hell at tex-mex and consider it to be White People Bullshit, so, uh

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

That's probably fair. I'm just really, really tired of this poo poo and the fact that people don't understand how it materially affects the lives of people who work in tex mex restaurants.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Sampatrick posted:

Just replace tex mex with literally any other cuisine and it's pretty transparent. If you said that about soul food, you'd be called out for being a racist poo poo. If you said that about chinese food, you'd be called out for being a racist poo poo. So on and so forth. When you say that a cuisine isn't worthy of being made gourmet, you are implicitly saying that it is a worse cuisine - because it doesn't deserve to be made the best possible version of that cuisine. This is a racially charged sentiment because, obviously, the cuisines that this is said about are those that are made by groups that historically were impoverished or were discriminated against. The food that they made isn't worthy because they made compromise with poverty. Do you see how this is inherently a racialized statement that discriminates against those communities?

You're such a piece of poo poo lmao. First of all, there are a gently caress ton of hispanic people in Texas that absolutely love dishes like fajitas and tortilla soup and breakfast tacos and so on. I have literally no idea what the gently caress you're talking about with that. Second of all, the implication here that you expect to pay dog poo poo for tex mex is why all those cooks get paid like poo poo - because they can't charge the price that they should or people like you get pissed off that they want to be paid a reasonable wage. I also love how you pretend like all tex mex is the commercialized nonsense you get from places like lupe or chuy's instead of the mom and pop stores that you see all over Texas and especially all over the place in the Valley.

This is art.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

also, it is my experience that a decently large chunk of first and second-gen immigrants get mad as hell at tex-mex and consider it to be White People Bullshit, so, uh

Yes, tex mex is the result of immigrants (and indeed people who already lived here) from the late 1800s and early 1900s. That doesn't mean it's any less valid a cuisine

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I didn't think the chili argument could be topped, but here we are.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Haha, yes.

My favorite Mexican restaurant that I've been to in Asia is run by a friend of mine from California and it's really good, but it is still Cal-Mex, which becomes extremely palatable when your other option is any other kind of Mexican food. It's sort of like Sunni
and Shia or whatever. We can't loving stand each other over here, but stick us together in a room with some intruder Mexican food and we're all like whoa whoa hey what is this poo poo LET'S ROLL.

loving fish tacos and then stuffing a burrito full of rice and beans? Absolutely mental.

Also, enough with the sour cream and avocado on literally everything.

Sour Cream : Cal-Mex :: Cream Gravy : Any Restaurant With The Word "Cracker" Or "[Any Variation Of Kountry/Kuntry/Using A Suspicious Amount Of K-Based Alliteration While Below The Manson-Nixon Line]" in the name.

Oh hey, is there a pandemic going on or something?

I go ride my bike all around town daily, because how the gently caress am I going to get someone sick riding my bike around town? I would say for rural Texas people are doing pretty good. There were still clusters of people at the strawberry picking fields on the weekend, which was highly not advisable, and people are still having parties in their yard with too many friends, that's pretty much the same as Mark Wahlberg and Mario Lopez or whatever. Overall the amount of contact and people in proximity of each other, and just people around in general has really dropped off.

It's nowhere near as shut down, restaurants are still serving, stores are still open, but I don't know, it's on a curve. Like someone said above until it really hits here no one's going to completely hunker down. At least all of the tea party rationalist have stopped blathering on about it being a media fantasy.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

ReindeerF posted:

Manson-Nixon Line

Look at this absolute unit.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sampatrick posted:

Yes, tex mex is the result of immigrants (and indeed people who already lived here) from the late 1800s and early 1900s. That doesn't mean it's any less valid a cuisine

well, more pertinently, a lot of immigrants from more recently than that aren't aware of this, and get mad at tex-mex because they see it as whitey nonsense. you're basically jumping into a fight that is primarily between two different groups of the same ethnicity, which makes your assertion that this is clearly just racists doing a racism racistly a little goofy.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yeah, I'm much rather go to a lovely tex-mex place on the side of 35 than eat Skyline chili or have a Garbage plate.

As far as white people food goes tex-mex is pretty drat good because of the whole -mex part giving it a chance at life.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

well, more pertinently, a lot of immigrants from more recently than that aren't aware of this, and get mad at tex-mex because they see it as whitey nonsense. you're basically jumping into a fight that is primarily between two different groups of the same ethnicity, which makes your assertion that this is clearly just racists doing a racism racistly a little goofy.

u rite

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sampatrick posted:

Just replace tex mex with literally any other cuisine and it's pretty transparent. If you said that about soul food, you'd be called out for being a racist poo poo. If you said that about chinese food, you'd be called out for being a racist poo poo. So on and so forth. When you say that a cuisine isn't worthy of being made gourmet, you are implicitly saying that it is a worse cuisine - because it doesn't deserve to be made the best possible version of that cuisine. This is a racially charged sentiment because, obviously, the cuisines that this is said about are those that are made by groups that historically were impoverished or were discriminated against. The food that they made isn't worthy because they made compromise with poverty. Do you see how this is inherently a racialized statement that discriminates against those communities?.

You're one of those stupid assholes who buys ritzy designer pizzas aren't you?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
All food is loving delicious, how could you be categorically against food? Each category has so much range, there's bound to be something somebody likes in each one.

Except yellow squash, gently caress anything with yellow squash in it.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

You're one of those stupid assholes who buys ritzy designer pizzas aren't you?

i literally dont even know what youre trying to say. im mostly concerned about how the denigration of tex mex food leads to the fact that people expect to pay unreasonable low prices for that food and that this in turn leads to workers getting paid absolutely dog poo poo even in comparison to other food workers.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Mexicans making GBS threads on Mexican-Americans and their.... well everything is nothing new.

Also Tex-Mex is way better than Cali-Mex. Don't @ me.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Sampatrick posted:

i literally dont even know what youre trying to say. im mostly concerned about how the denigration of tex mex food leads to the fact that people expect to pay unreasonable low prices for that food and that this in turn leads to workers getting paid absolutely dog poo poo even in comparison to other food workers.

Pizza is peasant food thrown together out of leftovers. By your logic all those places charging way too much for some cheese and toppings are great and not grifting idiots and I'm a racist for saying so. Thus I assume you're the sort to buy from them.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Sampatrick posted:

All of this is absolutely correct. You go to places in South Texas like La Fogata in Reynosa or Mission, Texas, or Santa Fe Steakhouse in McAllen, poo poo even the Paloma Blanco in San Antonio. All of those places are higher end dining. Ingredients are better, quality of food is absolutely better

It's really telling how people often forget that most "Tex-Mex" in Central Texas or further north isn't a monolith of that food's culture. The only real loving cheese dishes down here tend to be a plate of queso fundido with chorizo sprinkled on it, or just your regular plate of cheese enchiladas. I would even go so far as to argue what makes the dish isn't even the loving cheese in the first place, it's the meat sauce! Every restaurant is different down here and they all taste unique to it, you can tell immediately which was home made and what poo poo came from a can.

If y'all are going to bitch about how awful Tex-Mex is I would hope you've actually had any closer to the border.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

bird cooch posted:

I didn't think the chili argument could be topped, but here we are.

We could start talking about bbq next?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

citybeatnik posted:

Woah there, I bet this thread is full of people that ruin the meat with sauce :barf:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

citybeatnik posted:

Mesquite is the superior wood to Oak. :colbert:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Brisket is extremely overrated

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Sampatrick posted:

This is extremely racist please go gently caress yourself

what

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

queso is disgusting

now THIS is racist

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Jiro posted:

All of this is absolutely correct. You go to places in South Texas like La Fogata in Reynosa or Mission, Texas, or Santa Fe Steakhouse in McAllen, poo poo even the Paloma Blanco in San Antonio. All of those places are higher end dining. Ingredients are better, quality of food is absolutely better

I don't think it's really fair to judge a culture's cuisine based on high-end dining. If I want good Mexican food, I'll go to Las Cazuelitas or Emilias in Brownsville (sorry, don't get into the upper Valley much so I don't have any examples from your neck of the woods). They're never gonna win a Michelin star but it's great food and great service.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I’m not sure if hating Tex mex is racist but it is pretentious and annoying

The only thing white people love more than Tex mex is proudly saying they love “authentic” ethnic food

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer
What if it's tex-mex served in Brooklyn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Badger of Basra posted:

I’m not sure if hating Tex mex is racist but it is pretentious and annoying

The only thing white people love more than Tex mex is proudly saying they love “authentic” ethnic food

Authentic General Tso's Chicken straight out of the PF Chang's bag from the frozen section of Kroger.