Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Trump is going to run shedloads of ads come November with the stimulus signing ceremony touting the $1200 he and the Republicans got everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
the thread has mutated and is a Trump thread now

hopefully we can develop a vaccine

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
I'm furloughed from my job until May 5th. Time to reread every book, replay every vid game in the house. :toot:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Berd immunity

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Hilldawg Impunity

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
I'm cleaning my house with bleachbit

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

VikingSkull posted:

the thread has mutated and is a Trump thread now

hopefully we can develop a vaccine

i could advise mask wearing again

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

How dare you folks talk about Trumps response to the coronavirus in the coronavirus thread. I mean doing so politicizes the thread and BLAH BLAH BLAH!

Golly gee I wonder why people would want to talk about the inept response of a major country to a pandemic in a thread about a pandemic. Maybe Trump should stop loving things up if he doesn't want people talking about how he's terrible? Maybe you could post some examples of Trump being a really good leader and handling the pandemic well? No? Oh I wonder why that is.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Mithaldu posted:

i could advise mask wearing again

it still gets in through your eyes

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Let's post about our personal corona experiences instead of talking about the government, then. How many different ways can you say, "Trump is a dumbass," after all?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Arizona finally issued a shelter in place order

https://www.12news.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/arizona-shelter-in-place-order-ducey/75-fc2b364a-c0e8-45df-87ae-02cba1c8bb1c

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

I said come in! posted:

For those outside the U.S. wondering what the hell we are doing over here, an update: our president is willing to let American citizens die if their state governments do not stroke his ego lol. My state of WA, our hospitals are not going to get any additional ventilators or medical supplies because the governor hurt Trumps feelings.

It's cool. We have a lot of companies here that make medical devices including ventilators.

Also our DOH is loving awesome at making graphs:

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/Coronavirus

We should really just secede from the union.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh yeah, at the conference a reporter asked if the virus would come back in the fall and Dr. Fauci said to expect it. But fortunately we should be better prepared by then.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

Let's post about our personal corona experiences instead of talking about the government, then. How many different ways can you say, "Trump is a dumbass," after all?

I've spent a week painting warhammer stuff lol

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mozi posted:

surgical masks don't form a tight seal so when you inhale you'll still be getting straight virusey air. but if you are asymptomatic and spreading it'll keep most of the virus in there when you breathe out; this is really the best argument for wearing surgical masks imo

a cloth mask with a good tight seal around your face is a bunch better than nothing though i think

honestly the CDC guidance doesn't mean much if there aren't enough masks to go around. figuring out how to best use homemade poo poo is probably the way to go for now (things like what materials, how long can you wear before it loses effectiveness, whatever)

How do you feel about the construction type reusable KN95 masks?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33018278685.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33041774044.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32806448016.html

Okay, you'll look like a complete idiot. But the seal looks pretty good, and the straps are adjustable. The replacement filters are far less expensive than disposable masks. And no guilt about using PPE that should go to hospitals, since I assume most hospitals don't want a bunch of random reusable masks with various sized filters donated anyway.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/greene/status/1244756410790850561

quote:

About 50 workers walked out Monday, according to Chris Smalls, a worker at the warehouse who helped organize the action. Amazon, which is trying to hire 100,000 workers to address the crush of coronavirus-related orders, disputed that figure, as well as the complaints that it’s not doing enough to protect workers. Only 15 employees participated in the demonstration out of 5,000 who work at the warehouse, Amazon spokeswoman Lisa Levandowski said in an emailed statement.

At the end of the workday, Amazon fired Smalls, a process assistant who worked for the company for five years. A manager at the warehouse told Smalls he’d been terminated for violating a quarantine, since he’d been in contact with a co-worker who tested positive for the virus. Until Monday afternoon, though, Amazon hadn’t warned him about not showing up to work, he said.

“They are trying to silence me for speaking up on behalf of the people,” Smalls said Monday afternoon. “It’s retaliation.”

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

it still gets in through your eyes

i have watched bird box, i am prepared

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Oh yeah, at the conference a reporter asked if the virus would come back in the fall and Dr. Fauci said to expect it. But fortunately we should be better prepared by then.

did they confirm seasonality?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mithaldu posted:

I mean, they didn't say "I confirm that..." but Dr. Fauci said it was definitely going to happen. I happen to trust the guy.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Mithaldu posted:

We have no clue about seasonality, but considering it is still spreading in warmer parts of the south, I wouldn't be on warm weather saving us

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

How do you feel about the construction type reusable KN95 masks?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33018278685.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33041774044.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32806448016.html

Okay, you'll look like a complete idiot. But the seal looks pretty good, and the straps are adjustable. The replacement filters are far less expensive than disposable masks. And no guilt about using PPE that should go to hospitals, since I assume most hospitals don't want a bunch of random reusable masks with various sized filters donated anyway.

I think the problem with these is that they only filter one way. The N95 masks filler in and out, so if you're infected, you're not exposing everyone and everything around you to the virus

TL;DR these only filter 50%, only in, everything going out is raw dawggin' everyone's lungs

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Stomping on workers rights while placating the boujee masses with next day delivery and a lovely streaming service.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I think the problem with these is that they only filter one way. The N95 masks filler in and out, so if you're infected, you're not exposing everyone and everything around you to the virus

TL;DR these only filter 50%, only in, everything going out is raw dawggin' everyone's lungs

Also when you wear it in an infection-heavy environment, contaminants will accumulate on the mask, this is why it's better to wear a disposable which can be removed safely and discarded.

Wearing your Bane mask around is just going to contaminate wherever you leave it when you take it off.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Hadlock posted:

just use duct tape to tape another one on backwards, problem solved

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If everyone is wearing a bane mask nobody's lungs are getting raw dogged

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

The Glumslinger posted:

We have no clue about seasonality, but considering it is still spreading in warmer parts of the south, I wouldn't be on warm weather saving us

If it's surviving Florida right now idk how much we could expect for the rest of the country. Already 90's

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hadlock posted:

Ah, so they are the FYGM of masks. Should be very popular then.

wyoak posted:

just use duct tape to tape another one on backwards, problem solved
:hmmyes:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Also when you wear it in an infection-heavy environment, contaminants will accumulate on the mask, this is why it's better to wear a disposable which can be removed safely and discarded.

Wearing your Bane mask around is just going to contaminate wherever you leave it when you take it off.

Alcohol and a spraybottle are all you need to disinfect the reusable masks. Wipe the mask down with 90% and a paper towel, wipe your face around the mask as well. Pull off mask, remove filter media, spritz good with alcohol and let dry.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

gonna cut my own hair tonight

which slider is for a sick rear end fade????

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
This thing is more infectious than the flu/RSV, so it's not super-surprising to me that warm weather doesn't squelch it as much. Which isn't to say that warm weather might not slow it down, but seasonality may not be as much of a thing.

Sure wish it did though. The prospect of this becoming endemic like the four garden-variety coronavirus strains is not awesome. Because those four strains don't usually lead to ARDS.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I saw the most amazing act of social distancing today. There's an airfield near me used for helicopter piloting training, almost exactly a square mile, with a fairly wide sidewalk around it. A woman was on the inside of the sidewalk walking, and a dude was running and quickly catching up to her. Instead of running right by her on the sidewalk, he swung way out in the grass to pass her and returned to the sidewalk. Hell yeah runner dude.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Alcohol and a spraybottle are all you need to disinfect the reusable masks. Wipe the mask down with 90% and a paper towel, wipe your face around the mask as well. Pull off mask, remove filter media, spritz good with alcohol and let dry.
I always use an aftershave with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zugzwang posted:

This thing is more infectious than the flu/RSV, so it's not super-surprising to me that warm weather doesn't squelch it as much. Which isn't to say that warm weather might not slow it down, but seasonality may not be as much of a thing.

Sure wish it did though. The prospect of this becoming endemic like the four garden-variety coronavirus strains is not awesome. Because those four strains don't usually lead to ARDS.

correct. most places where people congregate, such as public transit, universities, schools, hospitals, retail , grocery stores, and offices, will be somewhere in an enclosed air-conditioned container of varying 65 - 72f anyways and can last 48-hrs or more in such conditions. the capsid/lipid coating of SARS-1/2 does a decent enough job at protecting it indoors regardless of temp. outdoors, UV already does a decent job of sanitizing safely in 60-minutes of direct exposure, regardless of temperature, but i generally expect outdoor transmission to be extremely low unless you're sharing drinks at a picnic or wedding in which doesn't matter if it's cold or hot.

i'm not sure there's really solid research on why cold/flu ends up being predominant seasonal, although it's still present all-year round. there's some theories like people's immune systems are weaker when it's cold, or that people tend to congregate indoors more when it's cold (i don't think this is really true, or not enough to matter), and poo poo like that. i don't think it's going to be that relevant to covid-19, at least not this initial infection go-around.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 31, 2020

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://www.wired.com/story/its-time-to-face-facts-america-masks-work/

quote:

For a 2009 study of influenza transmission, nine infected volunteers coughed five times onto a Petri dish while wearing a surgical mask, an N95 respirator, or no covering. Nearly every time someone coughed without a mask, influenza virus showed up on the dish, but no virus was found when the volunteers wore either type of mask. Similarly, in a study still under review, 246 participants with symptoms of respiratory infection breathed into a droplet-collecting device called the Gesundheit-II for 30 minutes. When volunteers were bare-mouthed, coronavirus was detected in 30 to 40 percent of their sampled droplets; when they wore a surgical mask, no coronavirus was detected. Another study using a realistic manikin that simulated human breathing concluded that, when accounting for leakage, a surgical mask can filter at least 60 percent of 0.3 micron particles. A similar manikin study demonstrated that surgical masks reduce exposure to aerosolized influenza virus by sixfold, on average.

Scientists have also tested whether masks reduce infection in randomized controlled trials. Results from these studies are inconsistent: Many fail to find definitive support for mask wearing, but a few are somewhat encouraging. Neither hand sanitizer nor face masks alone produced a statistically significant effect on rates of influenza-like illness among 1,437 college students in Michigan; together, however, they reduced the rate by 35 to 51 percent. Similarly, surgical masks appeared to reduce the spread of flu within 84 households in Berlin when they were used within 36 hours of symptoms.

quote:

Meanwhile, several studies have tested the performance of masks improvised from household materials. A 2008 paper found that masks made from kitchen towels were about half as protective as surgical masks. For a study published in 2013, scientists compared the filtration efficiency of surgical masks to linen, silk, a scarf, a kitchen towel, a pillowcase, a vacuum cleaner bag, and masks that volunteers made from 100 percent-cotton T-shirts. The surgical mask performed best, followed by the vacuum cleaner bag and kitchen towel, but the latter were too thick and stiff to be worn for long periods of time. The T-shirt masks were comfortable, though, and one-third as effective as the surgical masks. “Our findings suggest that a homemade mask should only be considered as a last resort,” the authors wrote, “but it would be better than no protection.” A 2010 study reached a nearly identical conclusion.

quote:

The collective evidence makes a strong case for universal mask wearing during a pandemic. Masks are not a substitute for other interventions; they must always be used in combination with social distancing and hand hygiene. But even during a lockdown, some people need to leave their homes for essential task, such as buying food and medicine. With diseases like Covid-19, many individuals may be infected but asymptomatic, spreading the virus without realizing it. In parallel, some healthy people may not be able to adequately isolate themselves from infected partners, family members, and housemates. Masks could help reduce the spread of disease in all these scenarios. “Masks work in both directions,” virologist Julian Tang explained. “If everybody wears a mask, it’s double protection. Even if a mask is not 100 percent sealed, it is still a significant reduction in risk of transmission.”

“Originally, I agreed that only sick people should wear masks,” said Linsey Marr, an environmental engineer who studies disease transmission. “After observing this pandemic, I now think that if we had an infinite supply of masks, everyone should be wearing them when they go out in public.” Benjamin Cowling, an infectious disease epidemiologist, agreed: “If there were a plentiful supply of cheap face masks, I believe there would be a recommendation for mass masking. We need to consider the use of masks going forward as supplies permit and develop evidence-based guidelines for homemade versions.”

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

First off, drat that’s infuriating he’s blaming CNN for reporters asking him about what he has said verbatim.

Second, what kind of insult is “I’d be so good at it, you’d look like a minor league player”. You mean second best people in the world at that thing?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

it's true that 1% protection is better than 0% protection
any nerd knows that

real life THAC0

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I have been having to sign a lot more papers basically "Scouts honor I swear I am not sick". Which is good if you are sick you should stay at home. But if ANYONE in the household has any of those symptoms? And you get caught? You can kiss your job goodbye.

Yikes.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

For those outside the U.S. wondering what the hell we are doing over here, an update: our president is willing to let American citizens die if their state governments do not stroke his ego lol. My state of WA, our hospitals are not going to get any additional ventilators or medical supplies because the governor hurt Trumps feelings.

This is the worst petty poo poo I ever have seen a "democratic" politician do. It should mean immediate removal from office. But I am sorry to say you guys are beyond help.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

So uh, where should a dumbass american who doesn't know how to sew (me) buy one of these fabric reusable masks? etsy? amazon seems like a wasteland of sketchball aliexpress crap. speaking of, any chance the surgical masks from ali aren't just made from paper towels and butchers twine? (lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Xaris posted:

i'm not sure there's really solid research on why cold/flu ends up being predominant seasonal, although it's still present all-year round. there's some theories like people's immune systems are weaker when it's cold, or that people tend to congregate indoors more when it's cold (i don't think this is really true, or not enough to matter), and poo poo like that. i don't think it's going to be that relevant to covid-19, at least not this initial infection go-around.
The most compelling one I've seen is that cold weather also usually means less humidity, so surface droplets will dry out faster. But yeah, it's tough to say for sure. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One thing to note is that in the study comparing materials in homemade masks, "effective" is defined as number of droplets/microbes captured. It's not safe to assume that scales linearly with the infective dose, because small amounts of virus getting to you might be able to fought off by your immune system. Like, if you need (totally made up number) 1000 virions in your nose to get sick, and a cotton T-shirt mask makes it so you inhale 700 while a surgical mask would be 350, the cotton T-shirt mask still worked great.