Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Maybe put something on the very top of the OP. Like along the lines of...

quote:

New to the thread? Feel free to jump in right at the latest updates!

(last several updates, maybe add the dates you posted them in the thread to show this is still ongoing)

Posting the latest update on the top of the OP is something I've done for my bigger LP's, and it's something I've seen done a lot in other LP's as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I recommend at least devoting a section at the top of the list of episodes for the most recent stuff. You say you have it structured so that you have four "episodes" per "week" so put the most recent week on top. You might also want to make the previous weeks collapsible.

Mega64 posted:

Posting the latest update on the top of the OP is something I've done for my bigger LP's, and it's something I've seen done a lot in other LP's as well.
Basically this.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think collapsing each set of 4 episodes into 1 line would be the best. Yes theres a risk that people catching up stick to just the "ppv"s for a while, but is that not the true wrestling experience?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Commander Keene posted:

I recommend at least devoting a section at the top of the list of episodes for the most recent stuff. You say you have it structured so that you have four "episodes" per "week" so put the most recent week on top. You might also want to make the previous weeks collapsible.

Basically this.

Mega64 posted:

Well, I used to do that. I went one step further and linked to "future" episodes. Which I can't do anymore due to twitch removing the feature for that. I should probably get into the habit of adding the most recent episodes on top again, though.

Namtab posted:

I think collapsing each set of 4 episodes into 1 line would be the best. Yes theres a risk that people catching up stick to just the "ppv"s for a while, but is that not the true wrestling experience?
Yeah, the thing, though, is, that I don't want people to catch up. Just hop to the most recent one. Maybe I'll do something completely novel and just delete all the links except the most recent one... I won't. But hey. A thought.

I might end up doing a combination of putting each four-week cycle all on one line and put older episodes into a separate post, though. Or not. I don't know, I'll figure it out, I suppose. I'll see what I do to the rest of the op in my redesign first.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
With my LP I noticed a very consistent trend with the watch times in my videos, After 26 seconds the watch percentage goes from 90+% to ~45% and then drops even further to 28% or lower for the rest the video at the 3-minute mark. Is there something wrong with the way I made my videos?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Supeerme posted:

With my LP I noticed a very consistent trend with the watch times in my videos, After 26 seconds the watch percentage goes from 90+% to ~45% and then drops even further to 28% or lower for the rest the video at the 3-minute mark. Is there something wrong with the way I made my videos?
It probably has to do with the fact people have to manually enable the YouTube captions to see your subtitled commentary. It's not a lot of work, but when you take into account that the YT captions will stay enabled until you manually turn them off again, it's just a bit of an annoying hassle. Not to mention that you only seem to inform the viewer of this at the start of the first episode. While that makes sense because normally you'd assume anyone watching the LP would start from the beginning, there's a good chance viewers who are familiar with Assassin's Creed II will want to skip the boring tutorial bits at the start. So they watch a later video first, and then wonder why there isn't any commentary.

Also, you misspell the word "Assassin" multiple times in the OP, and there are several other misspellings in the later update posts. Not a big deal, but also isn't necessarily a great sign for a subtitled Assassin's Creed LP.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 18, 2020

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Make it your gimmick and spell it wrong in a new way every time

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Huh. It seems that my spell checker thinks Assasin is ok. Maybe Grammarly isn't as great everyone says it is.

Ok. I don't know to burn the subtitles in Abode Premiere, how do I do that? That's the only reason why I did the subtitles.

Supeerme fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 18, 2020

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Supeerme posted:

Huh. It seems that my spell checker thinks Assasin is ok. Maybe Grammarly isn't as great everyone says it is.

Ok. I don't know to burn the subtitles in Abode Premiere, how do I do that? That's the only reason why I did the subtitles.

Using Premiere to manually burn in subs is a pain in the rear end. It's been a while since I last tried, but if I remember correctly, you have to tell it to use open captions, and then you have to type in the text you want in the right spot. While that sounds simple enough, I never could get it to stick. Half the time, Premiere would crash every time I tried, and the other half the text just wouldn't save so I wound up having to retype the same caption four or five times before it just crashed anyway.

If you wanna burn in subs manually, it's much easier to use Aegisub, which has a nice what-you-see-is-what-you-get editor, and then you can just attach the resultant .rear end file using AVISynth.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Ok, thank you, everyone, for your advice. I will put them to use. It would mean reuploading everything but I expected to do that anyway.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
good luck!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
If the Sandcastle gets glassed in the coming storm, I just want you all to know that this modship has been damned fun. LP is the best subforum in this place. Soon I hope we can say that confidently about every forum and subforum.

If not, well... it's been an absolute honour posting you all. You are all wonderful human beings!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
crow, fedule... i'm disappointed...

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
lol I have no clue what the gently caress you're talking about, I clicked the link you posted and got this

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Boy it sure would be weird if SA did a dumb April Fools joke.

I mean, it might be funny. There would have to be a coherent joke, understanding and a punchline for that.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 1, 2020

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Dash Rendar posted:

It's finally happening. Somewhere, deep down, I knew it would come to this. To those of you in the know, it's started. If all goes well, we can get in before they can stop us.

For those of you not in the know: Tell crow "gently caress youuuuu!"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gently caress you, crow! :evilbuddy:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Following this april fool's joke just takes too much effort. So I decided to drink Whisky. I got myself a Suntory Chita and a 12 year old Macallan.

Chita first. It's okay so far.

Should I LP Whisky? In my timezone I still got 3 and a half hour left for April Fool's. You think I could pull it off?

E: My favorite food to eat with Whisky is dark chocolate. So I decided to get some and immediately the Chita turns from okay to good. It's got a more nutty note that was ever so pronounced in the Toki (the most affordable Suntory). Overally I think I prefer the Toki but maybe some hitherto unknown dimensions will open themselves upon further enjoyment of the Chita. Stay tuned.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 1, 2020

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

No mods, no masters? :shrug:

I frankly have no idea what is going on even if I follow goon.txt on twitter this makes gently caress all sense.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

LPs are serious business

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Wait the mods are gone, seriously? This is what all this is about? RAD!

So glad that JERK Dash Rendar (SA Mod) who's always been kind to me and even probated me one time for drunkposting like two or three years after it happened after I requested to be punished for my sins. The only bad thing about them is that I hate Dash Rendar (Star Wars Extended Canon Character injected into the Extended Extended Canon via my own wrongdoing)
And crow. Ugh. That.... that.... person.... who I have no ill words to share bout. I guess Emperor Palpatine is a jerk, though.
And Fedule... is fedule still mod? They've also never done me any harm and in fact helped me sort out audio issues with my LP.

I don't know who the current LP mods are. I could check but that would be less fun.

Hey, remember when Chip Cheezum was mod.

Or when slowbeef was mod? Those were the times, pure anarachy. Love it.

@Mods: I'm not actually drunk as I enjoy my Whisky in moderation but feel free to probate me for drunkposting once you're back. I feel it's better than having a rap sheet full of probes for racism, homophobia and transphobia and maybe other vile poo poo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Given the events that went down in the mod forum this morning, I felt the need to draft a statement to reassure our fine posters here in Let's Play.

Ordinarily I would not be inclined to address forums drama directly, but this is a special case.

As some of you are aware, and you know who you are, as I have spoken to you directly on this, given what has happened this morning, Dash Rendar will no longer be a moderator of Let's Play effective immediately as punishment for his participation in the attempted takeover of the forums, attempting "Let's Play" the crisis for the entertainment of the co-conspirators.

This is quite the shock to all of us, I know, and while the punishment was swift and comically harsh we will adapt and move forward; in the coming days Fedule and I will be looking for a suitible replacement to fill out the third and brand new fourth moderator positions for Let's Play.

Solidarity is the key here in this moment and Fedule and I have been authorized by the surviving admins to hand out 100,000 hour probations for any offense we see fit in the name of such solidarity.

Everything is going to be fine, trust me.

.cx

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
As someone who is definitely not a double agent working with the coup to try to bring the mod team down from the inside, I think now's a good time to make me a mod again.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I feel Goons are be the only ones who would seriously consider doing a coup on April 1st just so it could be brushed off as a joke regardless of the outcome.

Although LPing it for shits and giggles is way over the line though. That's just crass.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

That's bullshit! I #IstandwithBlindSally

Ban me for 100000 hours for drunkposting. I double loving dare you. Do it cowards!

DO IT!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Filming myself as I coup the forums, making sure to have an unregistered hypercam2 in the upper left part of the video so people know it's truly me.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
You know, it's kind of surreal seeing someone with a probation for 11.4 years.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There are a few people who've legitimately earned them, but it's pretty hard to do.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Has anyone come back from an 11-year yet

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Hwurmp posted:

Has anyone come back from an 11-year yet

Yes, they got banned about a month later for defending something skeezy iirc

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I nominate myself as the new third mod. The fact that nobody knows who I am despite being an active LPer for years just goes to show how uncontroversial I am, and equally incapable of stealing the spotlight away from fellow mods.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

:ms:
Although I do love the extra ironic twist at the end.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mega64 posted:

As someone who is definitely not a double agent working with the coup to try to bring the mod team down from the inside, I think now's a good time to make me a mod again.

:doit:

Cooked Auto posted:

Or is it solved? The post date for the "answer" is Mar 1, 2020! :thunk:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I've been in Zoom meetings most of the day, so I missed Cyrano's prankception and reveal happen in realtime. Ooboy what a rollercoaster of a read though.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Cooked Auto posted:

I was pretty ugh about april fools in general this year, but this owns incredibly now holy gently caress :allears:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Danaru posted:

I was pretty ugh about april fools in general this year, but this owns incredibly now holy gently caress :allears:

Yeah exactly this.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

Danaru posted:

I generally don't even like April Fools any year, but this was pretty good. Even got me into the spirit of it for once.

It was funny just seeing the general confusion, honestly, but the last moment prank just makes it better.

Truth be told, it took me a while to remember it was even April Fools. I saw Dash's post last night (this morning, really) and had no idea what it was on about.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm going to be frank I was kind of "meh" on the whole experience and just playing along for the hell of it, but Cyrano's little "oops, you're all actually banned guess you hosed yourselves lol radium" twist was legitimately hilarious.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm going to be frank I was kind of "meh" on the whole experience and just playing along for the hell of it, but Cyrano's little "oops, you're all actually banned guess you hosed yourselves lol radium" twist was legitimately hilarious.

Yes

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I mean, it's joke 101. Lead in with the kinda meh, cheesy jokes, then catch'em off guard with the real gold. I wish Cyrano had let it linger a bit. Make an announcement and let the forums have a hearty chuckle before the reveal, but so it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
In order to fool everyone, you need to fool yourself.