Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Franklin's is good fatty brisket (dunno about now haven't been since 2015), I don't think it was worth waiting in line for hours all those years ago, and he had terrible sauces that probably still suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ReindeerF posted:

Oh poo poo, just when you thought the Tex-Mex debate was going to end up being the only one that devolved into discussions of racism, barbecue comes from behind and throws an uppercut. Potato salad, meet dick.

Yeah shock of shocks, turns out Texas is a really lovely state with a long history of both implicit and explicit white supremacy.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm ashamed to say this but franklin's got an espresso one that's legit

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
i say again brisket is disgustingly moist. Ironically for this entire discussion the absolute best, bar none, brisket I've ever had was from a Tex Mex place

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 1, 2020

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Machacado and egg owns, try it. Also Abbott should probably be coup'd.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Machacado and egg owns, try it.

it's good

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011
Barbecue is great but brisket is definitely over-rated. Links are generally great, ribs have the propensity to be disgustingly sweet and barbecued turkey is surprisingly delicious. Good job, in general, Texas.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Jiro posted:

Yeah my mom told me about this. Really hosed up considering that the mask that protects you from the virus is in scarcity. So almost any other mask worn is useless.

All disposable masks help to some degree or another, N95 are just the most effective mass produced masks and priority needs to be given to healthcare workers for those. Proper N95 mask use also requires continuous usage at all times, targeted N95 usage only around high risk contamination sources is only slightly more effective than regular usage of other mask types. http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2013/02/study-full-time-n95-use-offers-best-respiratory-protection

Non-N95 masks are going to be most effective when worn by an infected individual, in that they significantly reduce droplet-borne spread. But they also reduce the risk of catching droplet-borne disease when worn by healthy individuals (just not as much as N95 would).

Washable/reusable masks are not recommended because they may cause contamination between usage and washing, and can be a breeding ground for bacterial diseases, but disposable masks are far better than wearing nothing and can help reduce transmission risk, especially when used in combination with vigilant hand washing, putting clothes in the wash when you get home, not touching your face, etc.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I definitely prefer ribs to brisket. A BBQ place has to have good ribs if I'm gonna return. I also prefer ones with vegetarian options so my wife can join me, but it feels like almost all of them are just "not........meat.....?"

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
Beef ribs or bust. Brisket is alright but it gets too much attention.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Bizarro Watt posted:

I'll agree to that if only because most people don't even know Texas has multiple BBQ traditions, each going back to different population groups. Like was said earlier, the tradition that came from white German/Polish immigrants (central) sucks all the oxygen out of the room. So the former slave (east) and Ranchero (south) styles barely even get acknowledged as existing. And you miss out on all that delicious covered pit whole carcass cooking and other absolutely great stuff.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Bizarro Watt posted:

:hmmyes:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/edyong209/status/1245352087103385600

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dameius posted:

Is it racist to say that white people ruin everything? Because we do. Even the things we started and were good at and helped elevate.

At that point, you're not so much making a racial judgement as decrying the inevitable decay of time.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zeroprime posted:

All disposable masks help to some degree or another, N95 are just the most effective mass produced masks and priority needs to be given to healthcare workers for those. Proper N95 mask use also requires continuous usage at all times, targeted N95 usage only around high risk contamination sources is only slightly more effective than regular usage of other mask types. http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2013/02/study-full-time-n95-use-offers-best-respiratory-protection

Non-N95 masks are going to be most effective when worn by an infected individual, in that they significantly reduce droplet-borne spread. But they also reduce the risk of catching droplet-borne disease when worn by healthy individuals (just not as much as N95 would).

Washable/reusable masks are not recommended because they may cause contamination between usage and washing, and can be a breeding ground for bacterial diseases, but disposable masks are far better than wearing nothing and can help reduce transmission risk, especially when used in combination with vigilant hand washing, putting clothes in the wash when you get home, not touching your face, etc.

This is excellent advice thanks for this I feel a little better about my folks using just a mask if they go out.

Ribs don't have enough meat. Not worth it. Ribeyes for life. Fajita supremacy :ese:

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I think you can reuse masks if you have a UV sanitizer and let it hang by itself for 2-3 days. 30 minute exposure on both sides.

Coincidentally, all UV sanitizers seem to be sold out.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
LOVE NOT BEING ABLE TO CALL TWC AND THEM NOT HAVING MY CORRECT WAGE INFORMATION FROM THE LAST YEAR SO I CANT GET BENEFITS WITHOUT CALLING THEM BUT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO CALL THEM THAT IS VERY NICE

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sampatrick posted:

LOVE NOT BEING ABLE TO CALL TWC AND THEM NOT HAVING MY CORRECT WAGE INFORMATION FROM THE LAST YEAR SO I CANT GET BENEFITS WITHOUT CALLING THEM BUT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO CALL THEM THAT IS VERY NICE

You too, huh?

Website: Your financial info has you making zero dollars in a total sum that is at complete odds with your w2s? Call our hotline, that isn't handled here
Hotline: We won't talk to you because of Covid. We're just robots mindlessly saying go online now.

State: Whew that's a good chunk of the max amount we'll pay him saved from the budget.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
You guys actually get a reason for needing to call? My wife is being told "please call for additional information" on the website and that's it.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
I know someone who worked for the TWC. Before all this COVID-19 stuff they were severely underpaid and understaffed. I hear they are having calls at levels greater than Hurricane Harvey, but unlike then, everywhere is being hit so there is no area that can step in to assist.

Just make sure you take your frustration out on the state officials who have let them remain understaffed for years and not the poor person who is answering the phones.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Kunabomber posted:

You guys actually get a reason for needing to call? My wife is being told "please call for additional information" on the website and that's it.

My previous employer before where I'm working now seems like she wasn't reporting wages to the state (IANAL, I have no idea if that's how that works) so I need to call and provide information on them in order to qualify for benefits

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

dalstrs posted:

I know someone who worked for the TWC. Before all this COVID-19 stuff they were severely underpaid and understaffed. I hear they are having calls at levels greater than Hurricane Harvey, but unlike then, everywhere is being hit so there is no area that can step in to assist.

Just make sure you take your frustration out on the state officials who have let them remain understaffed for years and not the poor person who is answering the phones.

Person?
Ha.
Ha.
Ha.

It's pre scripted robot saying due to high covid-19 numbers we're not taking calls our robots cant handle.

But no, I dont hold it against the poor understaffed worker, I sympathize with them as a poor, understaffed worker who is also furloughed.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

What I want to know is when the 100% wage replacement from the stimulus bill is going to go into effect. The unemployment benefits Texas gives are a cruel joke.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Thank goodness. It was one of the top two executive orders Abbott signed that will get a lot of people killed by coronavirus.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

What I want to know is when the 100% wage replacement from the stimulus bill is going to go into effect. The unemployment benefits Texas gives are a cruel joke.

Also is it a ticking clock? I heard benefits last four months. Is that four months from the passage of the bailout? Should I quit now?

I was employed the first half of last year and unemployed the second half but didn't file for benefits, does that drastically reduce my payout?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can't get UI if you quit homie

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't think it's that extensive, I think it's $600 a week over whatever your state benefits are.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Can't get UI if you quit homie

What if I call my boss and say I was exposed to a carrier and need to self-isolate, so please take me off the schedule

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

I don't think it's that extensive, I think it's $600 a week over whatever your state benefits are.

If that's the case (and sure looks like it is) lol we're gonna be the people making more off unemployment than working.

Suck it Graham.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Hidalgo County is now arresting people or fining them up to $1,000 for not staying at home:

https://www.themonitor.com/2020/04/01/sheriffs-office-start-citing-arresting-alleged-shelter-home-violators/

Right now we only have 50 confirmed cases out of a county with 750,000 people. However, I've heard lots of people are violating the 10:00-5:00 curfew, so that's probably what this is more geared to at the moment. Are any other cities this far ahead in the enforcement yet?

IT BURNS fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 1, 2020

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

i say swears online posted:

Also is it a ticking clock? I heard benefits last four months. Is that four months from the passage of the bailout? Should I quit now?

I was employed the first half of last year and unemployed the second half but didn't file for benefits, does that drastically reduce my payout?

You get a payout equal to half your rate during your highest pay in the last 4 completed quarters so you wont be hurt on the amount per payment.

The cap on what they'll pay you over a year is based on a percentage of the highest pay from before OR the total amount, whichever is lower. So that'll hit you pretty hard if you've been out for half of that.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I knew Kathaleen Wall (man, gently caress that spelling of her first name) was a terrible piece of poo poo but godDAMN

https://twitter.com/by_jmiller/status/1245481372539633670

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
China is absolutely going to be the drum the GOP pounds during the election. Well that and Joe's inability to keep his hands of everyone.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Proud Christian Mom posted:

China is absolutely going to be the drum the GOP pounds during the election. Well that and Joe's inability to keep his hands of everyone.

They've been pounding that drum since Trump. Pretty sure trade war was happening in the beforetimes.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Disnesquick posted:

They've been pounding that drum since Trump. Pretty sure trade war was happening in the beforetimes.

In the long long ago

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

IT BURNS posted:

Hidalgo County is now arresting people or fining them up to $1,000 for not staying at home:

https://www.themonitor.com/2020/04/01/sheriffs-office-start-citing-arresting-alleged-shelter-home-violators/

Right now we only have 50 confirmed cases out of a county with 750,000 people. However, I've heard lots of people are violating the 10:00-5:00 curfew, so that's probably what this is more geared to at the moment. Are any other cities this far ahead in the enforcement yet?

Yeah it makes me wonder if they're gonna be doing this blatantly during the day.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Jiro posted:

Yeah it makes me wonder if they're gonna be doing this blatantly during the day.

Probably not, but I did see a shitload of McAllen PD on my way to Sprouts today... :cmon:

IT BURNS fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 2, 2020

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

IT BURNS posted:

So basically the Valley including Laredo is taking this dead serious. I don't see Abbott moving the state in that direction unless we approach New York in case explosion.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

No Safe Word posted:

I knew Kathaleen Wall (man, gently caress that spelling of her first name) was a terrible piece of poo poo but godDAMN

https://twitter.com/by_jmiller/status/1245481372539633670

Reminder this loser spent a record setting amount of money in the 2018 GOP primary and didn't even make the runoff so now she's crawled to a new district to try again.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Dameius posted:

I'll agree to that if only because most people don't even know Texas has multiple BBQ traditions, each going back to different population groups. Like was said earlier, the tradition that came from white German/Polish immigrants (central) sucks all the oxygen out of the room. So the former slave (east) and Ranchero (south) styles barely even get acknowledged as existing. And you miss out on all that delicious covered pit whole carcass cooking and other absolutely great stuff.

I would happily read a primer on Texas BBQ styles outside of central Texas style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mesquite is the one true wood. Inshallah