Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Well, March came and went, and no word from HLJ on the Eva Unit 01 I pre-ordered.

I'm guessing they just ran out of kits? It makes me worried about the other pre-orders I have with them, and if I will get my Eva at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

d3lness posted:

The big sword, without a doubt, is the weakest part of the kit. I have ridiculous fanboy goggles so it didn't bother me too much. The gaps are pretty big, the peg that is intended to keep it rigid with the handle is super short and weak, and as you said transforming it is a nightmare. I really like it as a backpack and that saves the kit overall for me. All that said, I wouldn't recommend it unless somebody is a massive fan of the model overall.

I got mine "used" (legs partially assembled) from a secondhand toy store, but it IS a cool kit. I wish they made the variant with the big goofy shoulders into a PG, but the two swords make up for that in my opinion. I think I like the body of the kit better than the PG 00 7S/G I just posted about, but the Seven Swords definitely wins out on the gimmicks. All the swords on that kit are rigid but light enough to be poseable, although they do give you a pair of molded hands for the GN Buster Sword, which is super nice. The arms and legs also have locking joints which are GREAT for holding poses, though the locking mechanisms themselves are kinda hard to put together. Locking arms and molded hands would have been super useful for the Red Frame Kai, as it would maybe be able to actually hold the Delta Arms, instead of just standing with it.

Edit: i got batteries for the 00's GN drives and i don't know what i expected but i can't say it was this
https://twitter.com/muffinlordArt/status/1245076078248570880?s=19

The Muffinlord fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 31, 2020

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

The Muffinlord posted:

I got mine "used" (legs partially assembled) from a secondhand toy store, but it IS a cool kit. I wish they made the variant with the big goofy shoulders into a PG, but the two swords make up for that in my opinion. I think I like the body of the kit better than the PG 00 7S/G I just posted about, but the Seven Swords definitely wins out on the gimmicks. All the swords on that kit are rigid but light enough to be poseable, although they do give you a pair of molded hands for the GN Buster Sword, which is super nice. The arms and legs also have locking joints which are GREAT for holding poses, though the locking mechanisms themselves are kinda hard to put together. Locking arms and molded hands would have been super useful for the Red Frame Kai, as it would maybe be able to actually hold the Delta Arms, instead of just standing with it.

Edit: i got batteries for the 00's GN drives and i don't know what i expected but i can't say it was this
https://twitter.com/muffinlordArt/status/1245076078248570880?s=19

if I ever get a PG it'll likely be exia cause dang it looks good.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
That's the Seven Sword, similar but different.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Yeah the seven swords is the 00, which is older, and has some fiddly bits. I suppose all perfect grades do, but the locking mechanisms are kind of hard to get inserted properly and the shoulders like to pop out. The hologram material, which is almost all hidden under the armor, is a bear to work with and requires really precise bending on extremely soft rubber. It looks cool as hell all lit up, though.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Exia build done!

Final armour assembly, lights on and off. I love the way that the armour can just come off without needing to take the frame apart. Still deciding if I'm going to get some waterslides for this, but if I do this will make topcoating easier.

Weapons

Unfortunately one of the coated parts on the longsword is bent. Going to have to use glue to fix that once I decide re: topcoating.

All the weapons (minus beam sabres)

I love that you can store everything (except the beam effect parts) inside the base. Makes storage so much easier.

Current pose until I decal this thing up.

Just for fun, the pile of off-cuts from this.

With the UK's quarantine continuing for at least another two weeks (let's be honest here, it'll go on longer), my office closed for the time being and not working from home, I'm going to work through my back-log some. Just trying to decide on my next project.

The three that I'm looking at are MG Barbatos (might paint, still undecided. Do have some third-party waterslides and metal photo-etch parts however), MG Hi-Nu Ver.Ka (has waterslides, some look pretty challenging to do for a beginner) and the Kotobukiya Metal Gear Rex (planning on a full paint job, first non-Bandai kit I'll have done)

I also have a bunch of HG kits in my back-log and the Flame Toys Starscream (might be a full paint job, will probably want to build first before I decide)

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Does the GN drive spin though

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

d3lness posted:

Bonus: Dog named Dolores, an orbital frame.

Nice background Megumin, i just watched the movie.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The Muffinlord posted:

Does the GN drive spin though

It fakes it with an LED array, but yes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhm1JGgrtMY

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Veotax posted:

It fakes it with an LED array, but yes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhm1JGgrtMY

Okay, that's radical. Is the drive removable? I wonder if you could sub it in with one of the 00's if you felt like.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It is removable, there's even a mounting point on the base that's wired up if you want to display it separately.

Dunno if you could attach Drives from another kit though, the GN Drive completes the circuit for the lights, the Gundam won't light-up if it's not in place. All the lights are just one big circuit powered off 4 AA batteries on the base.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Protip for the power supply for the PG Exia, make sure to put rechargeable batteries in that unit. Don't want normal AA's leaking after they've run their course and gently caress up the unit.

Though the DM knock off one actually has a Micro usb port to power it without batteries if your in need of a replacement.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
I finished my submission. https://imgur.com/a/V6DxVdt gunpla is confusing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sazabi posted:

Poor thing's had some rough times :ohdear:.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Sazabi posted:

We've all been there, buddy, hang in there!

d3lness posted:

Finished the dry fit for my PG Red Astray. I don't have enough clear coat and I'm not ordering more right now so he's on hold until the 'roni chills the gently caress out. Luckily I have a backlog to get through. Absolutely in love with the backpack swords of the entire Astray line.

(Yes, I know the middle part of the bow is flipped around. No, I'm not transforming it for another picture.)

Bonus: Dog named Dolores, an orbital frame.

Nice model and nice dog. Are you going to paint it?

edit: the model, not the dog. do not paint the dog

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Sazabi posted:

:mood:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

EthanSteele posted:

Some panel lining and decals will really make it pop though!

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

EthanSteele posted:

Nice model and nice dog. Are you going to paint it?

Thank you on both counts. I'm not going to paint it. Just panel lining, decals, and clear coat. Nothing of the sort for the dog. Though I might need to dig out a MG Blue Astray I airbrushed a few years ago.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
You could totally paint the dog, though.

http://www.petpaint.com/

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

RillAkBea posted:

Some panel lining and decals will really make it pop though!

Just don't go overboard with the extra scribed lines.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Paper Kaiju posted:

You could totally paint the dog, though.

http://www.petpaint.com/

I think we've got our next thread challenge!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I want this

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gripweed posted:

I want this

I'm not sure if I want to buy it yet, but I sure as hell do want to see if it's recycling the old GP-02 or if it's all new parts. They've been doing some real sneaky stuff with the build series recently and I'm desperate for a new GP-02.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

RillAkBea posted:

I'm not sure if I want to buy it yet, but I sure as hell do want to see if it's recycling the old GP-02 or if it's all new parts. They've been doing some real sneaky stuff with the build series recently and I'm desperate for a new GP-02.

Say what you want about Try at least their molds were mostly new.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BadMedic posted:

Well, March came and went, and no word from HLJ on the Eva Unit 01 I pre-ordered.

I'm guessing they just ran out of kits? It makes me worried about the other pre-orders I have with them, and if I will get my Eva at all.

I'm in the same boat and just asked them WTF happened. I'll post when I hear back.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Midjack posted:

I'm in the same boat and just asked them WTF happened. I'll post when I hear back.

Same boat here too, very curious when you'll hear back.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
For what it's worth, mine arrived safe and sound, so at least SOME have gone out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah. HLJ is usually pretty good about getting stuff out promptly and the one time they had to defer me (PG Unicorn) they sent a really apologetic email and a coupon plus upgraded me to fast shipping for free when it finally came in. This was probably a similar deal to that, where demand just completely blew out supply and due to plague chaos they just didn't communicate well.

Topic shift: were we going to vote for the winner of the 30MM build?

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Midjack posted:

Yeah. HLJ is usually pretty good about getting stuff out promptly and the one time they had to defer me (PG Unicorn) they sent a really apologetic email and a coupon plus upgraded me to fast shipping for free when it finally came in. This was probably a similar deal to that, where demand just completely blew out supply and due to plague chaos they just didn't communicate well.

I'm pretty sure the same thing happened to me with the FAZZ. I ended up cancelling the order and getting it elsewhere as I watched the AUD/JPY exchange rate blow out to where it would be cheaper to buy it locally.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Be aware japan post dropped services to a lot of places so shipping might just not be available anymore.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Wibbleman posted:

Be aware japan post dropped services to a lot of places so shipping might just not be available anymore.

HLJ have just removed time limits on private warehouse storage and disabled automatic shipping due to this.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Ore wa Gundam? Bitch I'm Veda. :colbert:

(Admit it, you immediately tried to identify all of the Gundams he's holding. I know I did.. :shobon: )

Meanwhile, I've started coloring my action bases because.. I dunno. Got nothing better to do right now, and I like it when the action base compliments the kit's color scheme.

Kinda hard to tell in the pictures, but Virtue's base has green highlights and white panel lining, so it's the opposite of Nadleeh's color scheme. White panel lining was a loving pain in the rear end.

Also bought this bootleg ZAFT base off AliExpress a while back because it always bothered me that Strike Freedom had its own custom base and Infinite Justice didn't. :colbert:

It originally came with a black bracket but I just popped this white one off the stand he was originally on. I think it works better with the kit's color scheme.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Bees on Wheat posted:

(Admit it, you immediately tried to identify all of the Gundams he's holding. I know I did.. :shobon: )

I can identify all but two of them, the one next to the exia up front and the one sandwiched between Heavyarms and the Unicorn.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Bill Posters posted:

HLJ have just removed time limits on private warehouse storage and disabled automatic shipping due to this.

They can't ship at all now? I've been considering adding a few things before I get my stuff shipped.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

OptimusShr posted:

I can identify all but two of them, the one next to the exia up front and the one sandwiched between Heavyarms and the Unicorn.

Deathscythe and Strike, in that order.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

They can't ship at all now? I've been considering adding a few things before I get my stuff shipped.

They can still ship, but depending on your country some shipping methods aren't available right now.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

DigitalRaven posted:

Looking at it more closely I think that's the EW version of Deathscythe Hell. Just going by the spiked feet and the lack of yellow details.

OptimusShr fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 2, 2020

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

DigitalRaven posted:

From the angle of the white V antenna and the grey strips down the sides of the mouthpiece, I think that's Freedom rather than Strike.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Collected 30mm group build post. If I missed yours, let me know.

Bees on Wheat posted:

Built my 30MM kits yesterday. I used the dark blue armor from the Alto Blue with the white and gray frame pieces from an Alto Black, and gave it a Diver Ace backpack/weapons. Had a hell of a time getting the backpack on before I realized there was an adapter piece I needed to use in order to get it to sit comfortably on the Alto's back. It looks like something that you might get if they started mass-producing mobile suits based on 00's design, like a 00 Dagger or something.

(Oh man I just noticed how many spots I missed while panel lining)

I wasn't sure if the remaining parts were going to look good together, but I built the second Alto anyway and realized it was basically just Vidar's color scheme so I gave it some guns and called it good enough.

Veotax posted:

This is what I managed to bash together on Sunday for the group build.

Gripweed posted:

I put the Marsfour sword backpack on my Portanova. Looks pretty cool

Bees on Wheat posted:

So I ended up buying the Alto Flight-type and a whole bunch of other stuff last week. Gotta say I like the flight-type design a bit more than the standard Alto look, but you can do either one since the kit includes all the parts for the standard Alto. The backpack reminds me a bit of the Fatum-00 unit for Justice, with the shoulder cannons and everything. The wings even fold down in the same weird way. Don't think you can surf on it, though. The gun is from the weapon options kit.

for some reason the jetpack also has legs

Got the commander parts for my 00 Alto, and snagged the green faceplate from the flight-type. I think the amber one it used to have looks better with the navy blue anyway.

The weapons kit includes the same gun and.. that weird handle thing from the standard Alto. This turned out to be a good thing because the flight-type doesn't include those weapons; it just has the shoulder cannons. There are two attachments for the barrel of the gun, a sniper scope, and a bit you can use as a handle. I used the medium-length barrel on this kit with the standard sight. I gave the gun with the extra-long barrel and scope to the flight-type.

I also somehow managed to lose the back of this guy's hand {and part of the shoulder armor) but luckily the weapons pack has things covered with a convenient pirate-knife-hand adapter! There was also a sword and an axe but I didn't get pics, apparently.

I wasn't planning to have an all-blue army, it just kinda worked out that way. :shobon:

Waffleman_ posted:

My boy is armored up.

mllaneza posted:

This is exactly why I try to get in 2 or 3 building sessions a week at my desk.

And here's what I've been working on !

Did some panel lines on my 30mm at lunch. I also stole a proper Mobile Suit weapon from another kit; the stock will need some modification but it looks right to me.

TaurusOxford posted:

Finished my 30MM build. I'm calling it the Alto Ace Commander Type:

grassy gnoll posted:

30 MM build! Kinda.

grassy gnoll posted:

I figured out what to do with those spare limbs.

Puddin posted:

Got some decent enough weather for me to finish my 30mm build. Went with a sentry bot style of build after changing my mind about 13 times.

Paper Kaiju posted:

Self-quarantine finally gave me what I needed to quit procrastinating and finish my 30MM.
Ladies and gentlemen and enbies, I give you...

Mecha Hellboy.

Metrofreak posted:

I love 30MM Hellboy :allears:

Anyways, I finally finished my 30MM build.

For the consideration of the academy: Samael

(album link)

Now to pack away the workshop. No more gunpla until I move. :negative:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My 30MM is all done as my package arrrived today :peanut:

I call it the Alto Astra. Fighting in gravity is for suckers :smuggo:. Can't paint, but I got some Gunpla markers to play with and I think they touched up the armor okay.

Midjack posted:

As opposed to that, here's my 30MM entry. I had more elaborate ideas, but the last few weeks have kind of sapped my enthusiasm. Find the Alto Sniper:

This is the dark grey basic Alto with the left shoulder, shield, and faceplate from the dark gray Alto long range sniping armor, the chest and right shoulder from the black Alto command armor, boosters and left hand from option backpack 2, and rifle from the Rifle/Large Claw pack. Inspiration from the GM Sniper.

JT Smiley posted:

Just finished my entry, thinking for calling it Metal Gear Anubis:

Moai Ou posted:

My entry isn't anything special, but it was my first 30MM kit and I thought I'd use it as an opportunity to experiment! I always wanted to attempt some kind of camo pattern. It's not the cleanest look, but I like it. I also finally made myself a small light box, and it's been a process learning how to light it properly.

I didn't have any option parts, so, uh,

Dulkor posted:

Ended up not getting any time or motivation to detail this week, but the build itself is just as complete as it was when I last posted.

Sazabi posted:

grassy gnoll fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Metal Gear Anubis by JT Smiley