Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
Present tense and/or second person can feel a little gimmicky and unnecessary. You start to read something that's written that way and find yourself thinking "Is this person flaunting conventional writing styles for a reason or just for attention?" But...eh...after a couple of pages it starts to feel normal and you forget about it, so it doesn't really matter. I enjoyed the entire Divine Cities trilogy, even though looking back I'm not sure if it would be any better or worse if it was written in the past tense.

I think there's also something to be said for terse, shorter stories that use the present tense and second person to good effect, throwing you into the action and into the shoes of the characters. It's really worked well for some "Oh poo poo, what if you found out you were actually an android?" stories, and some "What are the full social implications of virtual reality when you really think about it?" short stories that I've read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Captain Monkey posted:

You might enjoy The Steerswoman series. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but it's got some elements of that and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now she just needs to finish the series! :argh:

:emptyquote:

StrixNebulosa posted:

!!!

I was looking up This Alien Shore to rec it to someone (you should read it, it's amazing) and - IT'S GETTING A SEQUEL!

I'm...really not sure how to feel about this, because while I generally love CSF's work, and This Alien Shore is near the top of the list, the last time she did a sequel to one of her standalones that didn't really need a sequel (The Wilding) it was...disappointing. So I really want to be excited about it -- and now I need to reread TAS -- but I'm not.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ToxicFrog posted:

:emptyquote:

I'm...really not sure how to feel about this, because while I generally love CSF's work, and This Alien Shore is near the top of the list, the last time she did a sequel to one of her standalones that didn't really need a sequel (The Wilding) it was...disappointing. So I really want to be excited about it -- and now I need to reread TAS -- but I'm not.

I was in the same boat but imho TAS has a bigger setting that could use more exploration, so I'm hopeful again.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I see no reason to think of present tense and second person POV as anything more than tools in a writer's kit. Some stories–as another example–benefit from richly woven exposition while others ought to be more bare bones, some stories value the omniscient perspective while others drip-feed mystery. We can certainly prefer one over the other on a personal level, but I don't like the idea that one should be considered gimmicky. That seems needlessly limiting, and it's better to abandon that perspective.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

For the record I prefer writing in present tense because it feels more immediate than past. I'm closer to the characters and the story.

Also it's kind of weird to me that past tense has become so dominant in published fiction. It makes sense - people use it so they fit in with what they read - but present tense just feels better to me.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I think present tense works well in combination with first person to make it clear than it's basically a transcription of the narrator's relevant thoughts as the events happen, rather than them somehow remembering the details well enough to write it all down afterwards. But this is probably more a personal prejudice of mine than anything.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I was able to grab some books the weekend before my county's library system closed but uh, I didn't expect I'd read through the third Foreigner trilogy in the first week, and the other stuff I've picked has mostly turned out less engaging than I expected.

The Raymond Chandler short story collection I got is cool though. I can certainly see where he was coming from with "They pay brisk money for this crap?" when comparing it to contemporary SF prose like Asimov and company.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

There seems to have been such a shift towards present tense over the last few years (not just in SF&F), that it's not even notable any more. Just a normal stylistic choice.

It does mean if don't like it for whatever reason you'll be missing out on a lot of books.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Past tense is deeper but slower, it gives you more room to wander into recollection and association.

Present tense is shallow but rapid, it's more immediate and thin-sliced on the moment.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

!!!

I was looking up This Alien Shore to rec it to someone (you should read it, it's amazing) and - IT'S GETTING A SEQUEL!

This Virtual Night

Expected publication: October 13th 2020 by Daw Books

Next to no details in the summary as it's a straight recap of the setting, but I'm excited anyways because god drat, the world-building in it was just tops.

The writtten-much-later sequel to In Conquest Born was a way worse book so I probably won't hold out too much hope

EDIT: Ah I see this was covered

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Pray for me - I bought the 10000 page malazan omnibus.

I own them all in paper form, but gently caress me if I'm going to read paper books again.

As an aside, I finished the Powder Mage trilogy. I bounced off the first one a bit a while back, but really enjoyed it this time around.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Any time I read a book in second person I keep expecting to see "if you do ___, turn to page ___" at the bottom of the page.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

gvibes posted:

Pray for me - I bought the 10000 page malazan omnibus.

I own them all in paper form, but gently caress me if I'm going to read paper books again.
What's the filesize? It's a meaningless number, but I'm curious.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

General Battuta posted:

Past tense is deeper but slower, it gives you more room to wander into recollection and association.

Present tense is shallow but rapid, it's more immediate and thin-sliced on the moment.

I wish more books played with this for effect, with carefully considered switching of tenses, but most writing advice I’ve seen tells people, “Stick to one, dammit.” Probably because tense switching is usually accidental, not considered.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stuporstar posted:

I wish more books played with this for effect, with carefully considered switching of tenses, but most writing advice I’ve seen tells people, “Stick to one, dammit.” Probably because tense switching is usually accidental, not considered.

my current endlessly incomplete novel has three viewpoints and one of them is present because the character is an idiot who can't think about the future

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

sebmojo posted:

my current endlessly incomplete novel has three viewpoints and one of them is present because the character is an idiot who can't think about the future

I think Marlon James did the same thing in A Brief History of Seven Killings, and it was cool

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

do you even faulkner bro?

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Leviathan Wakes (Expanse #1) by James SA Corey - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047Y171G/

Here's an awesome website where you can check price history on kindle books.
https://www.ereaderiq.com/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I am so, so grateful that I was able to drop Crown of Stars and read Crossroads instead. Kate Elliott writes very well, but the brutality in Crown of Stars was such that I would read a chapter and come away heart-sick, over and over. This is not to say that Crossroads isn't brutal in its ways, but there's a core of hope in it instead of how grinding Crown of Stars was.

I think it also has to do with the different cultures, too - it felt like every single point of view in Crown of Stars was of a character who had little to no agency, due to how binding their role in society was. Medieval Germany with the feudal system is so tightly binding - and then the author focused on the lower ones in that society, those sworn to become monks (often against their will) or servants or women. It was evocative and made me feel like I was living a Crusader Kings 2 story with fantasy elements, but devastating. (Yes, I know the setting is fantasy europe so germany ain't germany, but c'mon, it's germany. being invaded by lizard-gremlin people.)

This is without going into how painful the slavery/rape/mindbreak sequence was, where the heroine is broken by the death of her father, and then forced into slavery due to the local priest spinning her father's books as having been "stolen", and so she has to sell herself to make up the debt. And then the priest proves himself to be a monster. That was one of the hardest sequences I've ever read, and when he showed up in the second book I felt a real sense of fear.

I never finished the second book, despite being curious about where it was all going, but... at least, now I certainly don't have the fortitude for it.

Meanwhile I'm 270 pages into the first Crossroads, and despite doing three tough things - killing a pov character, depicting a conspiracy corrupting a society so it's ripe for something worse, and putting another pov character into an arranged marriage - there is, somehow, a strand of hope. This is only the beginning. There's an answer to each thing: I was spoiled on the first one, that said character is revived later due to magic because I read the back of the second book, and as for the other two - the lady in the arranged marriage fell in love with him because he was kind, respectful, and taught her to be his equal (or, rather, that it was okay to be his equal, as his culture has different expectations from hers) - and then the entire trilogy is about solving the conspiracy. Our main characters are either working on it or unknowingly marching towards it.

I don't know where the story is going, and I know things will get worse, but somehow this book doesn't grind me down like Crown of Stars does. And it's only a trilogy, not seven giant books.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Can anyone recommend black women authors who have done fantasy? My girlfriend said she would specifically want some swords and dragons skyrim/game of thrones type poo poo (what would you call that??), which rules out a lot of people ive been looking into like octavia butler.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
NK Jemisin

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jv jones cavern of black ice is vg gritty ice and fire style fantasy, she's a woman though not black

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

withak posted:

NK Jemisin

Her. Definitely the most influential black woman writing fantasy (or SF) these days.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Maybe Tomi Adeyemi's Children of Blood & Bone? It's fantasy but young adult and only has two books of the trilogy out so far.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe something by Nnedi Okorafor? She does sci-fi mostly but it's hard to tell with stuff like Who Fears Death.

e: You probably couldn't pass Marlon James as a woman, right?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Can anyone recommend black women authors who have done fantasy? My girlfriend said she would specifically want some swords and dragons skyrim/game of thrones type poo poo (what would you call that??), which rules out a lot of people ive been looking into like octavia butler.

withak posted:

NK Jemisin

If your girlfriend doesn't like literally everything this woman writes then I don't know what to tell you. She's amazing.

The Broken Earth trilogy was incredible.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Broken Earth is absolutely incredible but if she's specifically said she wants swords and sorcery and not stuff like Octavia Butler. Broken Earth is post-post-post apocalypse science-fantasy about a sentient earth trying to throw off humanity, and genetically-engineered stone-wizards.

Like, that's much more in line with Octavia Butler (or Gene Wolfe or Usula Le Guin or any of those more experimental 70s/80s SFF writers) than GRRM.

Like, Jemisin is a WoC and she's very very good but it doesn't feel like a good recommendation for what's being asked.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah i might just start Broken Earth (and some octavia butler) myself since what ive seen about it from yall and my own research makes it seem really really interesting and then see if my girlfriend's taken in by the Inheritance trilogy.

Ive been trying to help her find reading material that will hook her during this quarantine, she's very much a gamer/nerd type who loves witcher/skyrim/fallout/the early seasons of game of thrones but really wants to find stuff that's written by women of color featuring women of color.
I'm sure some of the stuff that isn't exactly "classic european medieval fantasy" might still interest her, she was mostly just talking about reading something with archers and swords and political intrigue and magic and so forth.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Like, Jemisin is a WoC and she's very very good but it doesn't feel like a good recommendation for what's being asked.

I think her 'Dreaming Moon' books are a lot more up the asker's alley.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Seems to me that a PoC writer who was any good would be ress likely to crank out yet another drat version of fantasy not-Europe and more likely to dig into myths and folklore from outside that area. Like Nnedi Okorafor for example.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Broken Earth was influenced by Wheel of Time (particularly the...lol...magic system) so I don’t think the recommendation is as far off as you might think. No dragons. It’s good!

Rebecca Roanhorse is writing post-apocalyptic / Shadowrun style fantasy with magical earth spirits, set on Navajo land in the Southwest. The writing is iffy but the stories are reasonably fun.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Groke posted:

Seems to me that a PoC writer who was any good would be ress likely to crank out yet another drat version of fantasy not-Europe and more likely to dig into myths and folklore from outside that area. Like Nnedi Okorafor for example.
Yeah this makes sense, it's almost a counter intuitive quest i put yall on though i appreciate all the good tips...it'd be easy if there was like, a non white george rr martin type who wrote less rapey and less hosed up clearly-written-by-a-dude type poo poo.

maybe she'll be interested in the Inheritance or Dreamblood series, or Broken Earth. ill also see about getting her hands on Trail of Lightning maybe.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Would The Icarus Girl by Helen Oyeyemi count?

Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor?

Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi?

Olondria by Sofia Samatar?

You can probably dig around and find something good if you go to http://www.africansfs.com/home as well

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah this makes sense, it's almost a counter intuitive quest i put yall on though i appreciate all the good tips...it'd be easy if there was like, a non white george rr martin type who wrote less rapey and less hosed up clearly-written-by-a-dude type poo poo.

maybe she'll be interested in the Inheritance or Dreamblood series, or Broken Earth. ill also see about getting her hands on Trail of Lightning maybe.

Yeah, this is a rough call.

Wheel of Time is very clearly written by a white dude but it at least has female and non-white characters who pass the Bechdel test. There's spanking and leashes at various points but it's definitely the "Game of Thrones, but less rapey and hosed up" option.

One option is probably LeGuin's Earthsea series if she hasn't read it. LeGuin was white but her characters are pretty consistently not so.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One option is probably LeGuin's Earthsea series if she hasn't read it. LeGuin was white but her characters are pretty consistently not so.

Earthsea is a good call, it was intentionally written as fantasy that featured POC. She could just read Tombs of Atuan which has a female POC protagonist.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Olondria by Sofia Samatar?
This is a great tip and I can't believe I forgot about her. Not very action-packed but extremely enjoyable.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

buffalo all day posted:

Earthsea is a good call, it was intentionally written as fantasy that featured POC. She could just read Tombs of Atuan which has a female POC protagonist.

Er, no it doesn't. The Kargs are explicitly white.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

If we're allowing white people writing POC, Kate Elliott's Crossroads trilogy is full of brown people of varying shades, all with interesting cultures of varying influences. Also, giant eagles. Her Spiritwalker trilogy is similar, with white-washed covers but brown people inside.

CJ Cherryh's the Paladin is about brown people and asian societies, and she was never happy with the white-washed cover.

Michelle Sagara West is not white (I believe) and she writes epic fantasy as well as really cool urban fantasy with again, diverse cultures.

I'd highly recommend all of the above authors, especially since she wants fantasy adventure stuff.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Jedit posted:

Er, no it doesn't. The Kargs are explicitly white.

Gah I knew Ged was a POC, I just assumed Tenar was too!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

Punkin Spunkin posted:

You can try to find something in this thread https://twitter.com/nkjemisin/status/1221132342762319872?s=20