Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Have any of you messed with drone based mapping or modeling? It seems there are a number of solutions out there, but most are enterprise operations. I'm taking a look at WebODM, so we'll see how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pix4Dcapture will give you a series of jpegs you can stitch together in photoshop

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Warbird posted:

Have any of you messed with drone based mapping or modeling? It seems there are a number of solutions out there, but most are enterprise operations. I'm taking a look at WebODM, so we'll see how that goes.

I did a 3d map with Altizure; it was pretty sweet and free for non-com use.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I use DroneDeploy which has a free version I believe. I've also used Pix4D pretty extensively but it just did too much on a desktop and I like DD being in the cloud.

What are you trying to do? Do you need orthos or a pointcloud/LAS dataset?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

No real plans beyond being able to program in a flight plan and letting the drone take pictures or whatever. It would be neat to be able to use it to do some photogrammetry or stitch images into a map or whatever. Might be fun to dump it into blender or whatever and mess around.

I was under the impression DroneDeploy was a 14 day trial, but I’ll circle around to it.

porktree posted:

I did a 3d map with Altizure; it was pretty sweet and free for non-com use.

What's an Alticoin? Are these maniacs having you upgrade your membership with crypto? If so, I love it. That's stupid as hell.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 26, 2020

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Warbird posted:

No real plans beyond being able to program in a flight plan and letting the drone take pictures or whatever. It would be neat to be able to use it to do some photogrammetry or stitch images into a map or whatever. Might be fun to dump it into blender or whatever and mess around.

I was under the impression DroneDeploy was a 14 day trial, but I’ll circle around to it.

Looks like you're right I thought they had a barebones free version. That might be something else.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It’s super aggravating. It looks like the only actual free solution is WebODM from what I can tell and it runs in a docker container of all things. That is cool and good, but not ideal considering my docker machine is usually maxed out already doing other things. Plus it needs python and good god I hate python.

Pix4D seems really neat, but also is a 14 day trial as well. I’ll reach out to some of these folks and see if I can beg my way into a no commercial license.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The pix4dcapture app I believe is free to use. It will plot routes and take pictures. The cost comes when you want to do more than stitch the pics together with photoshop

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uh so is this battery hosed? These seem like pretty divergent values.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yeah using the capture app is free which seems like what you need.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The pix4dcapture app I believe is free to use. It will plot routes and take pictures. The cost comes when you want to do more than stitch the pics together with photoshop

I played around with it a bit and it seems neat. I think I might be able to use ODM to stitch them together. I’d ideally like to get a 3d model of whatever out of it, but baby steps.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well I tried pix4dcapture capture yesterday and despite being connected to my Bebop 2 WiFi and the software looking for a Bebop 2, it couldn’t find it, and I couldn’t fly any mapping missions.

I’ll do some digging but :iiam: for now.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Uh so is this battery hosed? These seem like pretty divergent values.

Are the voltages on the cells rising at the same rate when charging? If not, then yeah it's probably knackered.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

A nice, not too windy day in Oklahoma yesterday. Discovered I'm not a fan of DJI's rocksteady stabilization for the Osmo Action, and that HQProps V1 5 inch tri-blade is smooth, but not grippy enough for my tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RXv3JuJ1oM

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Here is a thing I have always wondered and could never puzzle my way through:

Why is it that in every drone video where the drones shadow appears, it has a giant bright halo around it? My Bebop does this too. I initially thought it was the contrast difference between the shadow and the surrounding ground, but the other shadows from the trees dont get a halo. Is it because the drone shadow never moves off of the one spot it appears in on the sensor?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I think it's just the interplay of software processing trying to maximize dynamic range and sharpness and video compression on fast moving edges vs slow moving ones. The hard boundary between the shadow and the bright grass gets a halo from sharpening/processing, and because it moves within the frame very slowly compared to other shadows it gets less jumbled by compression.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Here is a thing I have always wondered and could never puzzle my way through:

Why is it that in every drone video where the drones shadow appears, it has a giant bright halo around it? My Bebop does this too. I initially thought it was the contrast difference between the shadow and the surrounding ground, but the other shadows from the trees dont get a halo. Is it because the drone shadow never moves off of the one spot it appears in on the sensor?

This is an actual effect of the atmosphere. If you're flying in an airplane and look at your own shadow, it's got a halo around it too. Neat effect.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

This is an actual effect of the atmosphere. If you're flying in an airplane and look at your own shadow, it's got a halo around it too. Neat effect.

Having not seen the video clips of drones mentioned, I doubt that these are the same effects as the airplane one seems to depend on a layer of vapor near the shadow.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 31, 2020

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Ok, pulled some frames. This looks like the video encoding issue the other poster mentioned.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Here's another frame.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I think you're talking about this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glory_(optical_phenomenon) which is not what most drone dudez are probably talking about.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Does anyone know of a decent spare prop holder for a Mavic pro? It seems like something that should exist, but I'm not having much luck finding anything so far. I may just toss them in an Altoids tin or something I guess.

Edit: Too long for Altoids, but you get my meaning.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 31, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Trying out some low light, lowered exposure stuff. The Bebop lets you go from -2 to +2 on exposure, so I was playing around with lower exposures to capture the sunset without the highlights being all blown out.

I sort of did it, but I'm not quite there yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=006sGlw4XT4

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I think a couple of you have mentioned mapping work in the past. I've gotten WebODM up and running on my desktop via docker and have been pretty pleased with some of the results so far. That prompts the natural follow up question, "Now what?" It would be neat to go map places and toss it onto OpenStreetMap of one of the other open source mapping projects for folks to use. Does anyone have experience doing so?

Also, can anyone recommend a decent way to generate ocp files? I generating one using the GUI in WebODM, but the results just broke the hell out of everything. It seems I might be better off grabbing the coordinates manually and importing them in. Would it be reasonable to try and utilize my phone to get this data or is a more dedicated piece of hardware recommended?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I upgraded my 2s Beta65 v2 pro whoop to JazzMaverick 48khz firmware yesterday and with all defaults it really did double the flight time, and then some. Cannot recommend enough.

I could NOT get this thing to fly well with any combo of PIDs and filters, I got ~1...1:15 minute of flying out of 2x 260mah GNB packs and the motors came back red hot. After Jazz Maverick it was 2:30-3 minutes EASILY and the motors are just kinda warm to the touch now. You could tell there was a huge change just by listening to the sound of the thing.

Now onto the things I don't so much recommend: battery upgrades!

I used to fly a lot of 4s 3" micros so I have a bunch of 4s 450mah tattu packs lying around and I decided to turn them into poverty 2s quarantine packs. My plan was to bypass the PH2.0/BT2.0 whatever connector and just solder a 2s balance lead onto my new packs. That's it. I'll charge it from there like normal, and my quad will have this for a power connector:

And only the outer pins connect the +-, the center pin is cut off so it pulls the proper voltage from the battery. The pins are WAY bigger than a PH2.0 connector, and they're solid metal not bent and folded pin like my old PH2.0 connectors. it's also just a single plug, no daisy chaining single cells. I've always wanted to try a battery setup like this, taking advantage of the fact that the balance leads can deliver enough current to power the quad. Quarantine has made it possible! And I have scrounged enough 2s leads around my apartment to build 4 of these batteries.

So now with my new 450mah cells with better power connectors this little 65mm whoop weighs 50.0g AUW. But it flies for 5:30+ minutes now and because of the JM firmware you can't even tell the extra weight is there. Upping my flight time from 1:15 to 5:30+ using only household materials.

Beta65 pro 2, 16,500kv, 3 bladed gemfan props, 2s prototype cells

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 6, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turns out you can extract the raw GPS telemetry from a Parrot Bebop and you can see the 3 dimensional representation of where you flew in Google Earth :psypop:

I mean it makes sense, but seeing it is something else

https://i.imgur.com/O5C0qVW.mp4

AND clicking on any of the points gives you a ton of data :psypop::psypop:

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 6, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Don't you have VR goggles? See if it works in Google Earth VR. :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I do! And I should!

Assuming you can import KML's into Google Earth VR, I dont see why it wouldnt work

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I don’t recall GEVR being particularly friendly to custom stuff but if you get it working I’d be super interested in hearing about it. Can you walk through your process extracting the day at and integrating into GE?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Turns out you can extract the raw GPS telemetry from a Parrot Bebop and you can see the 3 dimensional representation of where you flew in Google Earth :psypop:

I do this with my Mavics also - export the kml file from Airdata and import it into google earth. It is so cool this world we used to live in.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh I forgot about Airdata. I don’t think I it would work with my mapping missions as Pix4D seems to prevent DJIGO for seeing what’s going on. I’ll have to keep that in mind in the future.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Some more AI upscaled footage from my flight last week. Tried some new video techniques this time, like some software dolly zooms at 1:03 and 1:35

Livin that quarantine drone pilot life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwYC6ewkuTQ

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Warbird posted:

I don’t recall GEVR being particularly friendly to custom stuff but if you get it working I’d be super interested in hearing about it. Can you walk through your process extracting the day at and integrating into GE?

Sure. This is Parrot Bebop2 specific, but I'm sure there are equivalents from DJI

When you fly the Bebop, each takeoff and land cycle is considered one "flight". Every time there is a flight, it is uploaded to MyParrot, a free cloud service for all Parrot drone and plane owners. MyParrot gives you a very basic overview, a 2d GPS track laid on a google map and a graph of battery/elevation/speed. There is a ton more data than that behind it though.

Some enterprising individual figured out a way to pull the raw data back down from MyParrot cloud (or off the drone itself if you for some reason dont use MyParrot) https://sites.google.com/site/pud2gpxkmlcsv/#Version_history

Its even been tentatively approved by Parrot themselves: https://blog.parrot.com/2016/04/05/flight-data-manager-add-gps-overlay-bebop-videos/

This then pulls your data back out of the cloud and will either display it for you or spits it out in a number of formats (CSV, KML, Garmin, etc) for you to slice and dice as you wish, or just to save in case MyParrot goes away. I've integrated it into my workflow of pulling videos off the drone after I fly, so now I'll pull the flight data too

Apropos of nothing, Parrot themselves seem very open to people playing with their hardware. The Bebop drones run linux, and the controllers run android, and you can telnet into them and modify all sorts of stuff, back up data, pull videos, etc. People have edited the operating system to save video to external thumb drives instead of onboard storage. They've modified the software on the drones to accept 4G cellular modems so that you can fly without wifi, this enables hugely long flights that would never happen with wifi alone (this guy flew one between two Hawaiian Islands https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxj8JwdQ7Lk). Parrot makes no attempt to stop this, and even openly talks about it. I like that.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 6, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You can do the Earth 3D path thing with stuff like Garmin Pilot and your flight path in a real airplane too :eng101:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jet fuel is at an all time low right now, time to gas up!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Had a great flight with the tinyhawk in the carpark of my building (gee I'm glad I bought a drone I can fly indoors)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgYltFeZ_Ug

This flight was a real blast. I've finally fixed all the minor technical issues.
The x-lite transmitter throttle was springing back from 0% to like 2%, enough to prevent arming, because an internal wire was in the wrong spot. I had to pull it through a cable tie slightly more, and problem is now solved.
Tinyhawk motor starts were unreliable due to the motor connectors, which I've now bypassed with direct wire soldering to the AIO board.
New goggles and antennae (for goggles and transmitter) have seriously improved video quality and transmitter range, even in lovely environements like this one. I've got some smaller goggle antennae on the way to make it easier to transport too, but that's not exactly a problem at the moment.

This flight was like the reward for fixing all those problems. Everything worked perfectly and I was just able to rip around to my heart's content.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Do you fly in angle or acro mode out of curiosity when using the little guy? I should definitely use my buildings parking garage, that didn’t occur to me.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

tildes posted:

Do you fly in angle or acro mode out of curiosity when using the little guy? I should definitely use my buildings parking garage, that didn’t occur to me.

That flight is all in acro mode.

Inside my apartment I fly a mix depending on my mood, but lately I've found acro is just more fun.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hi! I am bored out of my god drat skull and have saved so much money from not eating out or going to bars during lockdown that i am considering my first quad to gently caress around with.

I am finding it hard to look at anything but the dji mini which seems super competent for the price, and i dont want to get into FPV or anything super complex because I know myself, and when i get into the 'hacker' level of a hobby i go down enormous rabbit holes.

I have a DJI Mini fly more kit in my shopping cart and am invoking the mandatory Buying Stupid poo poo On The Internet 48 hour cooldown before I hit Submit order. Is there anything else I should peruse on the weekend?

My goal is just to get comfy with controls, fly around the approved parks and maybe haul some 5 pound monofilament over an oak tree in my yard (i'm a ham radio operator and the higher we get our antenna wires, the better). I have no interest in trying to be a racer or a precision pilot at this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Most people who buy a guided aerial imaging platform like a Mavic Mini or Phantom either do it because it’s cool and they want a cool new thing or because they have a real purpose for it like photography or taking video (either commercially or as a hobby). The latter group uses it, the former group plays with it three times and then it sits on a shelf until it’s obsolete and the battery is hosed and they’ve pretty much wasted their money. I mean there’s not much “fun” you can do with it, it’s just a perfectly competent tool. It sounds like you’re in the former group. The rabbit hole of RC or FPV can be a great pastime and you will get far more hours of fun (and frustration) per dollar out of it, but it sounds like you are not ready for that.

You also have a good chance of getting poo poo tangled up and stuck in a tree hauling filament around.