Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Lamuella posted:

what percentage of DDT / NOAH / TJPW shows are broadcast in English? Trying to decide whether to bung down 900 yen a month

IceAgeComing posted:

they don't have English commentary on anything; they experimented a few years ago with Haku doing stuff but they came to the conclusion that the live English twitter translations were more useful than delayed English commentary on only some shows - especially since Haku... wasn't the best at the commentary stuff and especially for DDT you need someone that knows the promotion well in that spot.

NOAH doesn't need English commentary though; it never really has complicated angles that are promo reliant: its pretty self-evident what the direction is without it. DDT needs the extra context at times but I find that the English twitter is more helpful than a lot of English commentary would be.

Just want to echo IAC's comments - there are two Twitter accounts that do god's work when it comes to live-translating events and keeping the non-japanese speaking crowd up to date:
https://twitter.com/Hi5ame for NOAH and https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng for DDT / TJPW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

My apologies for double posting, but if anyone's jonesing for some late-nite graps - you're in luck 'cause this just started:

https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1246333735227625474

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Wow, DDT competing with a NOAH Tag Title match. Those bastards.

Dragon Gate are having fun. Naomichi Marufuji is our kid from the crowd, his favourite wrestler is Mitsuhara Misawa & his favourite Dragon Gate wrestler is of course Punch Tominaga!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

When they finally give us Ishida vs Okuda for the Brave Gate it's going to slap (or kick)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

So, there's a really reduced NOAH card live on DDT Universe tomorrow, 8pm JST/12pm BST/7am EST/4am PST, with just the 2 matches from the Tag League

Naomichi Marufuji & Masaaki Mochizuki vs Kaito Kiyomiya & Shuhei Taniguchi
Go Shiozaki & Katsuhiko Nakajima vs Akitoshi Saito & Masao Inoue

Midday on a Sunday is an exceedingly civilised start time. A shame the card is so reduced but better that than nothing at all I suppose.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Its the sensible way to do these shows: there's no point in bringing in Mohammad Yone or whoever to work the opening match on a full sized card when really anyone only cares about the tournament matches.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

AJPW are doing a no people gate in place of the cancelled CC opener

Black Menso~re vs KAI

Koji Iwamoto & Tajiri vs Yusuke Okada & Hikaru Sato

Takao Omori vs Chikara

Yoshitatsu & Francisco Akira vs Izanagi & Shigehiro Irie

Jiro "Ikemen" Kuroshio vs Gianni Valletta

Jun Akiyama & Takashi Sugiura vs Hokuto Omori & Dan Tamura

We are ALL JAPAN Tag Match
Suwama & Kento Miyahara & Zeus vs Shuji Ishikawa & Jake Lee & Yuma Aoyagi

In case anyone forgot (because I had) this is happening tomorrow, 7pm local time, 11am BST, 6am EST.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Apparently while every show was cancelled, Dragon Gate put Jae and Larry Dallas to work and had them go back and retroactively do commentary for Dead or Alive 2019. They pretend it's live but you can tell that's not true because they audio is well-mixed. If you've ever wanted to watch the clusterfuck cagematch but have been intimidated by the whole, I have no clue what the storylines are for this clusterfuck match, here's your chance.

https://dragongate.live/title/?program=comp_20190506_apg&episode=1

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The ref in Fujita vs Go suuuuuuuuuuuucks. Motherfucker, tell them to engage, to fight, something. Don't just stand frozen in a corner you dope.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

would 100% rather have an out of the way referee during that than a Kyohei Wada who'd try to be as prominent during the thing as possible; that would have really hurt it I think. Besides the referee was doing that; just not very often.

Also you try telling Kaz Fujita to do something that he doesn't want to do!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

All Japan are wasting no time so far on this show. 2 matches done and dusted in under 20 minutes is nice pacing

Purple Haze turning face by beating the gently caress out the WWE signee.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 6, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

We're already up to the co main, Sugi tagging with Uncle Jun against 2 young fellas

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I think Ikemen might have threatened to be in the Champions Carnival when and if it happens

Also Dan Tamura is cool as poo poo

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Shotaro Ashino has joined All Japan

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Assuming he's the dork who came out to Fuel? Reminding me that song exists is a good heel move

Have we heard anything else about Wrestle 1 wrestlers and where they are landing? I know it's been less than a week, just curious

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 6, 2020

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Have we heard anything else about Wrestle 1 wrestlers and where they are landing? I know it's been less than a week, just curious

yes we've heard that Shotaro Ashino has joined All Japan

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

yes we've heard that Shotaro Ashino has joined All Japan

...yes, I heard that part. I was asking about the rest of Wrestle 1. I'll take that as a no.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

couple of other people are working for All Japan in June apparently but that's about it - it has only been a week and we're mid-pandemic so lots of places probably aren't looking at signing people at the moment

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Kento is not respecting social distancing with that poor camera man in his corner

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Assuming he's the dork who came out to Fuel? Reminding me that song exists is a good heel move

Yusuke Kodama is doing the BJW Junior tournament but hopefully that's just a one off because I can't imagine a worse division to wind up in.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

For an empty arena show this has a good atmosphere

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I'm liking how this match has just turned into Suwama vs Ishikawa. This is fun

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NOAH is back tomorrow with the 2nd night of Global Tag League

BLOCK A
Kongoh vs The Sugiura Army International
(Kenoh & Masa Kitamiya vs Renee Dupree & El Hijo De Dr Wagner Jnr)

BLOCK B
The Sugiura Army vs MUSCLE TOUGHNESS
(Takashi Sugiura & Hideki "Shrek" Sekine vs Daisuke Sekimoto & Yoshiki Inamura)

8pm JST start time, midday BST, 7am EST.

Don't think I've ever seen Shrek outwith MMA before. Also don't think I've seen Dupree since he was in Voodoo Murders, so this'll be interesting.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:stare: Rene Dupree, that's a name I haven't heard in a long time

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Chris James 2 posted:

:stare: Rene Dupree, that's a name I haven't heard in a long time

Seriously I thought he retired or moved back to Canada to help his dad promote

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I was completely unaware of MUSCLE TOUGHNESS, and the mere knowledge that it exists warms a long-dormant place in my heart.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Does anyone in here remember the really old, bizarre DDT BOYS CLUB events from early 2010's DDT? I've been trying to find them on DDT Universe and online but it's like they never existed. They were basically all girls shows with a lot of homoerotic matches that I want DDT_Eng to do subs for

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

DDT BOYZ still exists; they ran a few shows last year

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

Does anyone in here remember the really old, bizarre DDT BOYS CLUB events from early 2010's DDT? I've been trying to find them on DDT Universe and online but it's like they never existed. They were basically all girls shows with a lot of homoerotic matches that I want DDT_Eng to do subs for

The BOYZ shows are tucked away on their own page under the "Other Brands" section of Universe. Here you go.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Rene Dupree & El Hijo del Dr Wagner Jr

This might be the first NOAH I watch in years.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dragon Gate have officially cancelled Dead Or Alive :( Unsurprising but no less disappointing.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/DragonGateEN/status/1247700274300571651?s=19

For the Dragon Gate likers

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

the 2003 World show got me hooked on the promotion when I first saw it many many years ago

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

The 2011 show is one of the best wrestling shows I’ve ever seen, and the 2019 one has English commentary if you’re into that.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

just rust posted:

The BOYZ shows are tucked away on their own page under the "Other Brands" section of Universe. Here you go.
The shows I was looking for were way older than that, probably early 2010’s, maybe earlier than that

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Would've been cool if they could have done it for the entire month of April but I get it.

Great chance for new fans to get a sample of Dragongate though.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

glad they're using the downtime to provide some legendary content. Although I'd love a documentary on the promotion's MVP: Plastic Box.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

VERY happy about this

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Chris James 2 posted:

VERY happy about this

apparently a lot of these are the commercial releases so a lot is cut, but 2018 and 2019 should be in full. spent a half hour on tonight's open the voice gate breaking down what everyone should pick and choose because there's not enough time until the 13th for people to watch a fujiwara and onita match in dragon gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Since we're all stuck in our houses or appartments and all live wrestling going on now without a crowd is unwatchable to me, I've decided to get some friends together online and stream 90s/2000s AJPW or NOAH over Discord or Zoom (working out the technical stuff still). I don't know much about AJPW (I read that Chris Charlton NJPW book so I know more there, plus the World subscription makes it easy). Is there a good resource for me to get match lists to watch, or compilation tapes? There's Señor Lariato's Daily Motion channel which I watch random videos from but I'd like a bit more structure I guess. If you were like, introducing someone to that King's Road deal for the first time what kind of playlist would you think is fundamental?