Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The number of cards you have is your health, and you lose some of it every turn. You need to go at an appropriate pace - not too fast, not too slow - to finish the scenario before you run out of it.

Your HP number is a buffer you have before you start losing real health to attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

dwarf74 posted:

Look at every card you lose before your first rest as a few less rounds you'll survive.

right, one thing that might not be immediately obvious is that using a loss early reduces your survival time a lot more than using one late, because each rest eats one card but returns your entire discard. so if you lose two cards before your first rest, every rest for the whole game will get you one fewer turns, and so the number of turns you've lost is the number of rests you take all game. whereas losing two cards at the end of the game is losing just one turn

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Note about using the new expansion classes with the base game: road events were not designed with them in mind so I had to fudge a little. Example: if the outcome changes based on your party members, obviously an Inox is an Inox so if the result changes for Brute or Lightning Bolts then I declared that the Drifter and Hatchet count too. I also declared the Necromancer to be a multi element class like the Spellweaver and Triforce since it uses 3. I might be wrong there but if I didn't make some of these assumptions I would almost always have negative outcomes.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah I think context is all that should really matter, that seems like a good house rule.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

For the TTS-savvy crowd, is there anything built into Gloomhaven Fantasy Setup to speed up resting, or do I need to lose my card and then manually drag every card from discard back to my hand one at a time whenever I rest? Similar question for bless and curse - is there an easy way to get these shuffled into the appropriate decks (and back out when they're used) or is it manual too?

I really like the mod though, and got through a trial run with it last night after porting over all our physical box stuff. There are some non-intuitive things that are part TTS and partly the mod, but on the whole it's really helpful and should make it pretty easy to play online with my group.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Vidmaster posted:

For the TTS-savvy crowd, is there anything built into Gloomhaven Fantasy Setup to speed up resting, or do I need to lose my card and then manually drag every card from discard back to my hand one at a time whenever I rest? Similar question for bless and curse - is there an easy way to get these shuffled into the appropriate decks (and back out when they're used) or is it manual too?

I really like the mod though, and got through a trial run with it last night after porting over all our physical box stuff. There are some non-intuitive things that are part TTS and partly the mod, but on the whole it's really helpful and should make it pretty easy to play online with my group.

If you're in multiplayer, you should be able to hover over the discards, press nine on your keyboard and it should deal that many to your hand. You might need to grab one card from the discard then drop it on the discard so they form a proper deck instead of singular cards.

You can grab one card from a deck, then right click to pick up another, repeatedly. You can hold alt and right click to drop one at a time.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Vidmaster posted:

You probably need to manually put the lost card into the lost pile, but you can press the 'discard' button below your cards and they go off the board and into your discard pile.

for shuffling you can put the bless/curse card on your card, pick up the stack and press some hotkey, but I like to shake my mouse cursor while holding the stack and that shuffles the cards.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

One of my friends was interested in getting this game. Am I reading the Frosthaven kickstarter right in that there's a way to donate $100 and get a copy of Gloomhaven? If so I think that's actually the cheapest way to get one right now.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

One of my friends was interested in getting this game. Am I reading the Frosthaven kickstarter right in that there's a way to donate $100 and get a copy of Gloomhaven? If so I think that's actually the cheapest way to get one right now.

Plus +$28 shipping for US (I presume if you order Frosthaven + Gloomhaven, it'd be $28 to ship each).

and potentially taxes and it wouldn't ship out until July:

E: Whoops, out of stock, nevermind.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 7, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Do stunned enemies with innate retaliate, retaliate?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

redreader posted:

Yes. You can come up with a flavour reason if you want (flame demons are always on fire, spike shields, etc).

Same goes for other innate abilities like shield and flying.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

redreader posted:

Yes. Stun only prevents actions from being performed, retaliate thats innate or was performed prior in the round is still applicable. Something like the cultist death explosion would get canceled however since dying activates the ability card (but only if they were stunned prior to the killing blow)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In TTS there are Discard and Lost buttons on the playmat, pressing a button under a card moves it to the correct pile

When it comes time to recover discards on a long rest, you can rapidly draw cards into your hand by right clicking on the deck and then clicking Draw over and over. Then move one card from your hand to the lost pile. It's not really feasible to automate this since the player needs to decide which card is lost.

For short rest, flip the deck, right click and smash Shuffle, then pull a card off the top. That's what you're losing; draw again and lose a health if you want to lose something else. Now draw the rest of the deck.

You can also draw an entire deck into your hand by long-left-clicking (to grab the whole thing) and then moving it into your hand space. This is less intuitive than it seems, I prefer the draw method

Curses and blesses are manual. We move these decks closer to the play area to make it easier. If you are adding multiple curses to the deck, it's easier to make and move a stack than it is to move one at a time. So if there are 8 curses and we need to add 6 to the monster deck, we pull 2 and set them aside then move the remaining stack of 6 to the monster deck. Don't forget to shuffle right afterwards! Pulled curses and blesses during combat need to be removed by hand

We somehow wound up with two natural Null attack modifiers in our monster attack deck. We only found out because a monster attacked with advantage and drew both in a row. The rest of the deck was correct, we're guessing that one of us accidentally copied the card somehow but it could be a weird bug... so keep an eye out. The deck without blesses or curses should have 20 cards.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I just started playing Gloomhaven with a friend over TTS like a lot of people it appears. I have some general and TTS specific questions:

-We started with a Scoundrel and Mind Thief, will we be okay without a character that fits the classical "up front fighty tough guy" role?

-When an ability says something like Move 2, line break, Attack 2, does that mean you must perform the actions in that order only?

-In the first scenario, we wondered what would happen if an invisible player opened and then blocked the doorway that leads into the second room. If I'm understanding the monster rules right, melee bandits would not move because they have no valid path to reach the other player, and ranged enemies would try to move forward to get in closer range?

-We have a third player who has more mixed availability. I understand the rules for number of players are meant to be flexible and support players dropping in and out between scenarios, but how should we manage this in TTS, and how do we deal with any items they may have on their character?

-Is there an easy to way to update the Gloomhaven workshop mod with an existing save game? The mod author seems to be pretty active and added some features as recent as yesterday, and it seems they were not automatically pushed to our game.

-Is there any supplemental material we should manually add to the game? People are talking about Jaws of the Lion, which appears to be an unreleased streamlined gloomhaven game that contains some additional classes that can be slotted into a regular full gloomhaven game? Should we do that, is there a point in the campaign where it would be appropriate to add those options, and how exactly do we do that in TTS?

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
You can also just draw the entire discard by hovering over the deck and hitting X (being the number of cards in the deck or 99 to get everything easily/quickly)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Scoss posted:

-We started with a Scoundrel and Mind Thief, will we be okay without a character that fits the classical "up front fighty tough guy" role?
Yes. You're going to need to rely a lot on burst damage and CC (and your lack of AoE at low levels will be a challenge in certain situations) but it's viable.

quote:

-When an ability says something like Move 2, line break, Attack 2, does that mean you must perform the actions in that order only?
Yes. You can skip some parts but you have to do things in order.

quote:

-In the first scenario, we wondered what would happen if an invisible player opened and then blocked the doorway that leads into the second room. If I'm understanding the monster rules right, melee bandits would not move because they have no valid path to reach the other player, and ranged enemies would try to move forward to get in closer range?
That's exactly what would happen. It's a really useful trick.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Who does the archer focus on in this scenario? Yellow is closest, green is the closest target without disadvantage, but the archer could move away from yellow.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Scoss posted:

Who does the archer focus on in this scenario? Yellow is closest, green is the closest target without disadvantage, but the archer could move away from yellow.

yellow. monsters don't take disadvantage into account when choosing their focus, just when deciding where to move after they've chosen their focus. this cheatsheet is handy for this stuff

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Going to start Forgotten Circles this week and I'm playing the Diviner. Can't find much discussion on strategy for her. Any tips on starting equipment? Any general tips on card selection and play style? This will be starting at Level 1 with 2p so I expect it to be rough and can't play full support.

iceyman fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 8, 2020

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Cocks Cable posted:

Going to start Forgotten Circles this week and I'm playing the Diviner. Can't find much discussion on strategy for her. Any tips on starting equipment? Any general tips on card selection and play style? This will be starting at Level 1 with 2p so I expect it to be rough and can't play full support.

Most of the scenarios are built around the Diviner's gimmicks. You want mobility and support and rifts and almost no attacks. Void Snare is probably your best level 1 card and I always open with it. Any enemy that walks through that rift gets disarmed for 2 turns and that's incredibly powerful. I forget the name but the heal and infuse light is also good and the bottom is a move and attack. Take both your teleports all the time.

Recommended gear:

Stamina potion
Cloak of Invisibility

Good luck!

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Cocks Cable posted:

Diviner [...] Level 1 [...] 2p

Yikes; you're going to have a tough time.

Assuming the other player is playing a damage dealer you'll probably want to focus on enemy control. The rift that disarms is really good if you can play it before the enemies act, because with careful positioning it can disarm multiple enemies for two turns each. The ranged immobilize is also good for that; unfortunately it's on the same card. Curses are still worth using, but expect them to feel undertuned since there are fewer attacks happening in 2P.

Ultimately at level 1 your choices are just what not to take, so I'd call out the weakest cards for 2P:
  • Peer into Battle: Heal one person for 1 and regenerate doesn't cut it.
  • Bad Omen: Bad card, though I guess Forgotten Circles might force you to use the bottom half.
Third drop is trickier, and probably depends on party and enemies. If the other player tends to act early drop Inspiration from Beyond, it's useless unless you can act before them. Don't worry too much about element balance, at level 1 only the deck-searching cards consume elements and it's unlikely you'll have time to use them in 2P.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Forgot to mention that 2nd player will be Three Spears but is a more casual gamer.

I did not realize that the Disarm rift is a 2 turn deal if you get them to walk through it. That's pretty :smuggo:

Is Forgotten Circles going to railroad me a ton? I just want to play the Diviner and have fun with this rift gimmick, but I get the feeling every scenario is going to say "Nah, you have do this this and this dumb thing instead. You don't actually get to play the game, dummy."

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Wait a minute. You can draw another random card for short rest, if you lose an hp???? Is that a house rule?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Nope, that's official. Only once though - if you redraw and don't like losing the second one, too bad.

You'd never be able to short rest with the spellweaver otherwise.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

While you can't see someone else's cards in their hand, you can hover your mouse over them and do stuff like Flip them.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Cocks Cable posted:

Forgot to mention that 2nd player will be Three Spears but is a more casual gamer.

I did not realize that the Disarm rift is a 2 turn deal if you get them to walk through it. That's pretty :smuggo:

Is Forgotten Circles going to railroad me a ton? I just want to play the Diviner and have fun with this rift gimmick, but I get the feeling every scenario is going to say "Nah, you have do this this and this dumb thing instead. You don't actually get to play the game, dummy."

Unfortunately it's mostly the latter, at least early on. Many scenarios are only beatable by the Diviner doing something that only they can do. Not every scenario is like that but the whole expansion is a Diviner showcase.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
We played Scenario 38 the other day as Spellweaver, Music note and Two Minis. Man that was a tough one. Being able to swap positions with the moron you have to guard was the key move of the match, without that I really dont see how we could have pulled it off. Having the song up that gives enemies disadvantage was also essential as we drew the monster deck x2 about 5 times before getting out of the 3rd room. We're considering just peeking at whats in the chest since I dont think theres a way we would have enough time to pick it up on a replay.

Edit: also we got the city event that gets added when you retire the Cragheart. is there really anyone that would refuse a drink with their old pal? I feel like it should have punished you more for leaving him hanging

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

A good push card can make a world of difference on 38, at least for 2P.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Jabor posted:

Nope, that's official. Only once though - if you redraw and don't like losing the second one, too bad.

You'd never be able to short rest with the spellweaver otherwise.

you also only draw from the cards that you didn't draw the first time, so if you have a spare HP you can always guarantee getting one specific card back

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Re: scenario 38 the NPC doesn't move if it doesn't have a valid path forward. For example, in the first room, the guards are blocking the way to the door. If they're still there on the NPC's turn, he won't move.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Phelddagrif posted:

Re: scenario 38 the NPC doesn't move if it doesn't have a valid path forward. For example, in the first room, the guards are blocking the way to the door. If they're still there on the NPC's turn, he won't move.
Saw
that's the first and last time I used my Heal 7, Stun card. It made him pump the brakes long enough to get ahead of him.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

Phelddagrif posted:

Ahh we definitely made that mistake but there was also at least one turn we didnt move them when we should have so I'll call it even

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Phelddagrif posted:

Another thing: If the NPC moves 2 every turn, and you stand 2 hexes ahead of it, it will only move 1 hex. You can totally slow them down if you need to.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Frosthaven is getting standee versions of characters and of summons (E: in addition to character minis).

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 9, 2020

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Frosthaven is getting standee versions of characters and of summons.

This is a very good change that I am happy for, the generic circles just don't feel right. It's too bad they said they aren't going to do ones for Gloomhaven classes until after everythings done with Frosthaven (or possibly at all) because I would absolutely spend :10bux: on that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah I'm not going to print / paint 3D models of poo poo so having standees is great (especially given how heavily the Banner Spear and Necromancer rely on summons).

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Of course, the ideal is still using actual little rocks for the cragheart's obstacles, toothpick flags for the bannerspear, and maybe like mouse skulls for the necro's skeletons.

e: Who is the reinforcement and where do they come from? I assumed it would be another flag or a straw decoy, but it's just a guy from somewhere. I don't know what to think of that. Have the characters had retinues all this time?

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 9, 2020

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Ragnar34 posted:

Of course, the ideal is still using actual little rocks for the cragheart's obstacles, toothpick flags for the bannerspear, and maybe like mouse skulls for the necro's skeletons.

e: Who is the reinforcement and where do they come from? I assumed it would be another flag or a straw decoy, but it's just a guy from somewhere. I don't know what to think of that. Have the characters had retinues all this time?

They get to bring all of their gear to each scenario, and decide what they're actually using after setup. Who do you think carries all of that?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Frosthaven is getting standee versions of characters and of summons.

So no plastic miniatures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

So no plastic miniatures?

Mini versions of the characters, standee versions of the characters and the summons.