Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Are Krillin, Roshi or Tien even close to Namek Frieza's strength?

Maybe but Tenshinhan would still lose anyways in a stupid fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blaze Dragon posted:

Maybe but Tenshinhan would still lose anyways in a stupid fashion.

Good. He's bad and we should get back to Yamcha coming up with a hundred variations on Wolf Fang Fist.

He's at least got something close to a personality that isn't

>o8[

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't think there's any evidence that Tien or Yamcha could even beat a Ginyu member, or even Vegeta as he first appears on Earth

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I don't think there's any evidence that Tien or Yamcha could even beat a Ginyu member, or even Vegeta as he first appears on Earth

They can I saw them do it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Counter point, everyone is repeatedly showne training very hard, and in the case of the androids, told to train to beat someone specifically stronger than Freeza and everyone shows up ready to tussle. This is carried through to Yo! Son Goku where they all kind of laugh a Freeza tier villain off.

It's safe to assume they could handle themselves.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Tien depends on how you interpret him stalling Imperfect Cell successfully with a pseudo-suicide technique (and deflecting a Buu hit later in Z), I guess. Considering how DBZ villains really like to no-sell people weaker than they are, and the crazy escalation of power levels in late Z, I don't think it's unfair to say he is at least as strong as a Ginyu Force member.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

If Tien and Yamcha can't handle Saiyan Saga Vegeta by this point in the series, then there's no point in having them fight literally anyone ever at this point.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dias posted:

Tien depends on how you interpret him stalling Imperfect Cell successfully with a pseudo-suicide technique (and deflecting a Buu hit later in Z), I guess. Considering how DBZ villains really like to no-sell people weaker than they are, and the crazy escalation of power levels in late Z, I don't think it's unfair to say he is at least as strong as a Ginyu Force member.

It's this. Tien is perfectly capable of throwing out attacks that exceed Namek Saga Freeza- though Freeza himself would have probably survived due to how insane his durability is- and blocking attacks from things *WAY* beyond his punching weight.

If he could have killed Namek era Freeza is another debate but those goons? They may have had the rough power level but nothing about them showed they were as durable. He would have made them into paste.

Moro shows that Yamcha can also hold his own even now

Caros
May 14, 2008

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Even History of Trunks had some liberties taken with it by the anime team, like Trunks getting Super Saiyan from Gohan's death rather than just having it the whole time. I like both versions of that, though, because it makes Gohan's death sadder in different ways depending on the medium.

The one thing I wish they'd kept from the manga was the gag about trunks going to face the androids alone.

He flies off to do battle, and the next panel is him waking up under medical care after having his rear end beaten.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

As this gets close to "power levels," it's not very firm in stone, but "base" Goku was stated to not quite be Full Freeza at the beginning of Super, while his trained SSJ, etc. obviously way eclipsed him. Goku hadn't really been training his base since then because he was working on God ki and learning how to always be on defense, so anyone you think would give base Goku a fight, basically.

Krillen had a mental awakening and training since then, and Roshi has been secretly training as well, so technique + being somewhat stronger would have them at least give Freeza a fight. Tenshinhan hasn't been shown to really be doing anything, so I dunno about all of that - he could probably kikoho himself to death trying to fight him, but that depends on Freeza just sitting there like Cell did, too.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dias posted:

DBZ villains only really no-sell in the movies*. They have to block in the manga. That's also why later villains have regen; they get stuff blown off by weaker people's attacks, but they grow them back.

*Except Broli, canon or not, he Brolis.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Darko posted:

Krillen had a mental awakening and training since then, and Roshi has been secretly training as well, so technique + being somewhat stronger would have them at least give Freeza a fight. Tenshinhan hasn't been shown to really be doing anything, so I dunno about all of that - he could probably kikoho himself to death trying to fight him, but that depends on Freeza just sitting there like Cell did, too.

Tien was opening a martial arts school so I think it's safe to say he still practices martial arts. I don't remember much about that episode though other than it was a pretty bad one.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Even super broly only truly nosells like maybe 3 times. When he's dunking on ssjgod Goku it's not like those blows aren't having zero effect on him

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Tien was opening a martial arts school so I think it's safe to say he still practices martial arts. I don't remember much about that episode though other than it was a pretty bad one.

Something something, rape jokes, something something, urine, something something, Tien eats poo poo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I don't need no instructions to know how to achieve Ultra Instinct!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy6yYXV_daM

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Are you lost

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shinjobi posted:

Are you lost

Check the video for why it's relevant.

Hell, who made it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

Check the video for why it's relevant.

Hell, who made it.

If people want more of an explanation: AnimeAjay's channel, until this video, was entirely about Dragon Ball animation breakdowns, and he's an expert on the topic. He went dormant for over a year before suddenly reappearing with this video due to how much he liked Adventure:'s first episode, as well as being right up his alley considering that every single name involved has also been involved in both Super as a TV show and Broly, being Toei's absolute best.

This is almost a Dragon Ball video, basically, even if it's on another franchise. Toei is putting a lot of love here and it's great to see what happens when they don't half-rear end an episode.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

We're talking about the same arc, right?

Did they accidentally past the manga frames together?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Darko posted:

Tien is probably always training. It's just that he probably either trains with guys that are nowhere near his level or meditates. So he could be training just as much as Piccolo but Piccolo is sparring with Gohan while the best Tien is doing is probably a clone or Chiaotzu.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/Bosslogic/status/1247677048367091712?s=19

Was not expecting this cosplay.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Does that make John Stewart his Goku?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
His Goku is bears.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

TheHan posted:

His Goku is bears.

If you can find one agreeable enough to have their hair spiked up Goku-style, sure.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The best fight in DBZ was Raditz and it was all downhill from there

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
That's a weird way of saying Garlic Jr.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Man I feel so bad for poor John Marsters. Guy loves dragon ball, was a the only good part of evolution .
loving evolution.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Siegkrow posted:

Man I feel so bad for poor John Marsters. Guy loves dragon ball, was a the only good part of evolution .
loving evolution.

If it helps ease the pain, he's one of the best new villains in decades

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ya he voiced Zamasu

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ningen!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Siegkrow posted:

loving evolution.

I will defend Evolution only in that it tried to be a little summary of Dragon Ball up to Piccolo, and half of the people who complained about it had never seen Dragon Ball up to Piccolo and over exaggerated hate for that reason because they didnt even know what was being referenced. And...that's all I've got, the aesthetic approach was just so wrong.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

cant defend poo poo if youre in hell :blastu:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I gotta say a big problem with the movie is it made Goku into your average American Teenager Action Movie Character (whaa whaa I wanna be normal I don't want no kungfu).

And Justin Chadwick is a white belt. No loving white belt should portray Goku.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darko posted:

I will defend Evolution only in that it tried to be a little summary of Dragon Ball up to Piccolo, and half of the people who complained about it had never seen Dragon Ball up to Piccolo and over exaggerated hate for that reason because they didnt even know what was being referenced. And...that's all I've got, the aesthetic approach was just so wrong.

Eh, I can't agree with that at all. It has some similar plot beats but alters enough it makes no real sense. It changes so much that it doesn't summarize anything. (I mean the total and complete absence of Krillin alone.)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

I gotta say a big problem with the movie is it made Goku into your average American Teenager Action Movie Character (whaa whaa I wanna be normal I don't want no kungfu).

And Justin Chadwick is a white belt. No loving white belt should portray Goku.

It should've been a movie about Gohan if they wanted to go that route.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, I can't agree with that at all. It has some similar plot beats but alters enough it makes no real sense. It changes so much that it doesn't summarize anything. (I mean the total and complete absence of Krillin alone.)

The early Dragon Ball movies did similar for their arcs (remember the movie with Enperor Chiatzu?), and Path to Power is directly comparable, as it also skipped Krillin and went straight from Yamcha to Red Ribbon instead of Piccolo.

They tried to have a wacky tech + weird aesthetic, too, but just completely missed the mark by focusing on exactly the wrong stuff. And yeah. Not making a Gohan movie, which already perfectly fit the high school aesthetic was ridiculous.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Geeko

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
How do you even do a Gohan movie without 3 movies of setup/a massive dump of exposition? I feel like you’d have to change so much that it wouldn’t really matter if it was Goku or Gohan since either way it’s a totally different character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

People already consider adult Gohan a different character so little setup necessary. "Hello my name is Gohan, this is my dad he likes fighting" then it turns into a Saiyanman movie.