Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Selachian posted:

As the local Tanith Lee fan:

The Paradys books stand alone; they share a setting but not characters, so you can jump in anywhere.

From what I remember, the Paradys books are Lee at her most Gothic. If you like horror, blood, sex, death, rape, debauchery, curses, cruelty, drugs, rape, black magic, revenge, bad ends, insanity, ghosts, vampires, and doomed romances all piled on top of each other, Paradys is your place.

(Yes, I did deliberately set up the "you said rape twice" joke. I am nothing if not obliging.)

I'd say the Paradys stories are also Lee at her purplest, but honestly, the prose is well beyond purple and into the ultraviolet. If you expect everything to be explained and loose ends to be tied up, this is not the book for you.

So starting the author with this book wouldn't be a terrible introduction, and would be a fair representation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Hahahaha, holy poo poo. Rise of Skywalker got a nom?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

He posted a similarly themed cum story in gip too. :shrug:

She.

guess I should go check CC...

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Patrick Spens posted:

Hugo media categories tend to be pretty lousy.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Here's hoping Gideon the Ninth takes it, though the Light Brigade is very good too. Although I usually put a hard warning to anyone with any combat relayed PTSD before reading that one, because it is just a slog of acts of brutality and horrors of war.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch #1) by Ann Leckie - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BAXFDLM/

The Magician's Apprentice (Black Magician #1) by Trudi Canavan - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RTKITG/

Germline (Subterrene War #1) by TC McCarthy - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047Y16NU/

Two Powder Mage Side Stories by Brian McClellan
Murder at the Kinnen Hotel - Free
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PX4C5HO/
Return to Honor - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q38OFB8/

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Here's hoping Gideon the Ninth takes it, though the Light Brigade is very good too. Although I usually put a hard warning to anyone with any combat relayed PTSD before reading that one, because it is just a slog of acts of brutality and horrors of war.

Gideon was going to have the home-field advantage, so to speak, but now WorldCon is online who knows? I'm still going to vote for it (though I started reading The City In The Middle Of The Night this morning and I'm enjoying it well enough so far. Probably not going to knock Gideon off my top spot, but we'll see.)

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Has anyone finished The City in the Middle of the Night? The premise is interesting, but so was the premise for All the Birds in the Sky, and that's the only book I've put down unfinished in a decade.

Although, Birds may soon be joined by an unlikely partner: Gormenghast. I loved Titus Groan, but picking up the sequel a year later, I quickly remembered that I hate Steerpike with a violent passion. Spoil something for me, Gormenghast goons: how much screen time does that bastard have this time around, and does he get his just desserts? I cannot endure an 18+ hour audiobook, however beautifully written and well narrated, in which that son of a bitch gets what he wants.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

do these clowns keep up with anything that isn't made or distributed by a giant company

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Movies take too long to watch and I'm not enthused by the summary so I'm going to pass on Blazing Saddles. Sorry. Try reccing me a book instead?

Poe's Law has utterly ruined enjoying that movie in the years since it was made, yeah.

I mean, I've encountered people that think it's a tragedy film and that Sherriff Bart is the villain (& they weren't joking).

Maaaaaybe the campfire beans gag still scans as funny?

Satire is dead as hell, though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

cptn_dr posted:

Going up against Ted Chiang will be hard, but I reckon This Is How You Lose The Time War has a fighting chance. Pretty strong novella lineup in general though.

Chambers has a good shot too. To Be Taught, If Fortunate is a great story that hit me hard, and she's got good buzz from her early novels. It's got astronauts, exobiology, and space-related feels, how can it lose ?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Kestral posted:

Has anyone finished The City in the Middle of the Night? The premise is interesting, but so was the premise for All the Birds in the Sky, and that's the only book I've put down unfinished in a decade.

Although, Birds may soon be joined by an unlikely partner: Gormenghast. I loved Titus Groan, but picking up the sequel a year later, I quickly remembered that I hate Steerpike with a violent passion. Spoil something for me, Gormenghast goons: how much screen time does that bastard have this time around, and does he get his just desserts? I cannot endure an 18+ hour audiobook, however beautifully written and well narrated, in which that son of a bitch gets what he wants.

The culmination of Steerpike's arc is one of the most deeply satisfying moments in literature, as is the gradual revelation of his crimes and it's purely because of all the thousands and thousands of pages that lead up to it.

edit - also, the actual physical setpiece leading up to that, this enormous storm that (minor spoilers) floods the castle is tremendous. Peake was such an unfathomably gifted writer.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Patrick Spens posted:

Look, there aren't very many scifi movies...

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I do like the idea of Jeanette Ng just endlessly winning awards for one acceptance speech after another.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Gnoman posted:

So starting the author with this book wouldn't be a terrible introduction, and would be a fair representation?

I'd say so, yeah. Lee was insanely prolific, so she worked in a lot of different styles, but this sort of Gothic horror/romance is what she's best known for.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

I am pulling for Memory of Empire, if for no other reason than it scratches my Space Aztec itch left over from The Sixth Sun trilogy by Thomas Harlan. That, and it's a drat fine book.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I've read four of the six best novel nominees (The City in the Middle of the Night, Gideon the Ninth, A Memory Called Empire, and The Ten Thousand Doors of January), and I'd be happy with any one of them being the winner, although I think I'm leaning towards The Ten Thousand Doors of January. Or maybe Gideon the Ninth.

This is How You win the Time War was good, but nobody competes with Ted Chiang.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

It's interesting that plenty of award winning literary fiction books are being put out by small presses these days, but the prestigious sci fi awards are absolutely dominated by giant publishers. Seems like something someone should look into in more detail.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

It's interesting that plenty of award winning literary fiction books are being put out by small presses these days, but the prestigious sci fi awards are absolutely dominated by giant publishers. Seems like something someone should look into in more detail.
It's not necessarily a conspiracy, it's just that—to qualify for the Hugos—the author needs to be an active SFWA member, and the membership requirements can be a big hurdle for authors in small presses. $3000 USD income is nothing for the big guys but university presses etc are often giving out advances in the low 4-figures that don't pay out, so they can't ever hope to qualify.

Especially if you're not American and not able to operate on an American scale. A successful indie title in New Zealand moves 300 units, which is well under the threshold for SFWA acceptance. We moved around 800 and we still don't qualify. I imagine a lot of other countries run into similar problems; the Americans run the big awards and design everything around the American market, but nobody else can really compete on numbers so it's a bit pointless. The common wisdom here in NZ is that you either publish with a big-5 US publisher or don't bother with any of the big awards.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 8, 2020

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
If you're upset about those membership requirements then join the club, but with the proliferation of self-pub (and the awards scene's attitude towards it), getting them to lower the bar is basically impossible.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

It's not necessarily a conspiracy, it's just that—to qualify for the Hugos—the author needs to be an active SFWA member..

http://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-faq/#What%20works%20or%20persons%20are%20eligible?

Uh, they absolutely don't. I don't know where you are getting this idea. Even the Nebulas only require you to be a SFWA member to vote, not to be nominated.

The Hugos are a worldwide award handed out by the WSFS, so it would be odd for them to require membership of an American association.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Another factor for Hugos in particular is that they are nominated and voted for by fans so it becomes a question of marketing as well, they need to be books with some exposure.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

SimonChris posted:

http://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-faq/#What%20works%20or%20persons%20are%20eligible?

Uh, they absolutely don't. I don't know where you are getting this idea. Even the Nebulas only require you to be a SFWA member to vote, not to be nominated.

The Hugos are a worldwide award handed out by the WSFS, so it would be odd for them to require membership of an American association.
Huh, our team got explicitly told we needed SFWA membership to qualify.

Somebody was either wrong or trying to get us to gently caress off.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Huh, our team got explicitly told we needed SFWA membership to qualify.

Somebody was either wrong or trying to get us to gently caress off.

Well, you need to be a WSFS member to nominate works and vote. Maybe someone got things mixed up?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Whatever happened, it's a massive pain in the rear end. We never would've got it (we were on the Nebula reading list but afaik never even made the awards longlist; I doubt the Hugos would've gone better) but I dunno, it would've been nice to try. I sorta wrote the Hugos off because there was no way we were breaking the American threshold, based on something we got told over a year ago.

I wonder if this happens a lot.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Surreptitious Muffin, I hope you didn't pay anything for this "advice"...

A human heart posted:

The "prestigious" sf awards are mostly voted for; the lesser known ones tend to be juried and have more exciting lists. It's that simple.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Nah, it wasn't formal or anything; it came from another writer who I thought had experience with these things.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NatureFutures/status/1247857976276377601

I have a story in Nature this week. If you need a five-minute diversion from reality, give it a shot :).

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

freebooter posted:

About 200 pages into the uncut edition of The Stand. Really enjoying it and yes, it is very topical, particularly the chapter in which King describes how an infected Texas cop infects an insurance salesman he pulls over, which then creates a "chain letter" of death, every interaction multiplying exponentially and immediately sending it beyond any hope of quarantine. There's one particular sentence which is chilling precisely because it's summary, not scene, and we never really get a first hand view of the grisly work at the coalface beyond what the half dozen main characters witness: "Captain Trips brought bedrooms with a body or two in each one, and trenches, and deadpits, and finally bodies slung into the oceans on each coast and into quarries and into the foundations of unfinished houses. And in the end, of course, the bodies would rot where they fell."

I think I originally flicked through and read a lot of the uncut version in a school library or something, and then eventually read the original version myself, and have no idea which chapters are original and which are not. So far I am in favour of the uncut version. There's some stuff I remember reading and then not reading when I read the original book (if you follow) which is good stuff which adds to the story. The extra stuff like Starkey the military general and supervirus manager being dismissed and then driving out to the desert lab, cleaning up the soup off the face of the dead soldier he's been watching on CCTV for a week, and then shooting himself. That stuff's great! Less interesting is Fran's pregnancy and home drama but IIRC correctly that was all in the original version.

The one thing that really, really, really bugs me beyond measure: the superficial decision by either King or his publisher to update the uncut version to the year 1990 (as though the reading public would balk at the concept of a novel set ten years in the past) and basically just do a ctrl+H to replace any mention of years, while the story flows unchanged around those numbers. Sometimes he's edited obvious stuff like who the president is (but that still doesn't make sense! Why would a crew cut military hardass like Starkey have as much of a problem with Bush as he did with Carter!) but a lot of the time he just ignores it. There's a scene where Larry calls an ambulance for his mother but does so by looking up the local hospital's number in the phone book. We're told that protagonist Stu Redman, who is about 30, was "in the war," but since he must now have been born around 1960 I guess that means he served in Grenada. It's a risibly unnecessary and stupid decision and if anyone has a link to a longread or a blog post or a great review which rightfully excoriates King/the publishers for it, or rounds up some of the funnier examples of a time paradox, I'd love to read it.

edit - I was just googling around and come across a wikia page for what I think is the TV series which had the phrase "Tom treats Stu's pneumonia with advice from Nick's ghost" and it reminded me that, as I recall, the first act of this novel is the strongest.

edit 2 - God I love wikias. Who could forget this classic quote:

Quotes
"Not actual quote"
―Peter to Ray[1][src]

I think The Stand was the first huge fiction novel I ever read, and I still love it, warts and all.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Kestral posted:

Gormenghast is the decline and fall of Steerpike, and freebooter is right, it's one of the best payoffs I've seen in a book.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 8, 2020

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Solitair posted:

I picked up A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine on a whim after seeing some people in the SFF thread talk it up. I don't remember why; the book was engaging enough but felt insubstantial and familiar. It's a book of political intrigue where the protagonist is thrown into the deep end on an unfamiliar planet and has to piece together the conspiracy already in progress. There's an interesting technological conceit, where she has her predecessor's mind implanted into her brain and has to merge personalities with him in exchange for all of his expertise. Said implant is on the fritz for most of the book so there can be suspense, so it has to cede focus to the cultural differences between the protagonist's home station and the planet where she's assigned, banter, and coded poetry, which is a neat idea that I also wish got a closer look.

Everything else on the list is new to me, so I guess I'm gonna be plenty busy during the next few months.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Movies take too long to watch and I'm not enthused by the summary so I'm going to pass on Blazing Saddles. Sorry. Try reccing me a book instead?

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=40429784

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Solitair posted:

Everything else on the list is new to me, so I guess I'm gonna be plenty busy during the next few months.

I'm a pretty fast reader but Memory called empire was a total slog for me. The main character does basically nothing for the entire book. I think someone else in the thread pointed out - she's completely passive. I loved the plot hook - diplomat investigating her predecessor's death under mysterious circumstances - but it all just ends up being so drat boring.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Too Like the Lightning (Terra Ignota #1) by Ada Palmer - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015MP6WPY/
First sale since 2017 so grab it if you're interested.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Patrick Spens posted:

And Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance was totally snubbed

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Magnus Archives Season 4 was robbed.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The Stand update - holy poo poo Stephen King has skirted up against some weird racist stuff in the past but the uncut edition has a scene where, as society is crumbling, a bunch of black soldiers wearing loincloths publicly execute a bunch of white soldiers.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

SimonChris posted:

https://twitter.com/NatureFutures/status/1247857976276377601

I have a story in Nature this week. If you need a five-minute diversion from reality, give it a shot :).

this was a pleasant little read, thanks for sharing!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

freebooter posted:

The Stand update - holy poo poo Stephen King has skirted up against some weird racist stuff in the past but the uncut edition has a scene where, as society is crumbling, a bunch of black soldiers wearing loincloths publicly execute a bunch of white soldiers.

King is really very not good at dealing with race at all

like every black character in a King book is either a feral savage, noble savage, or magic negro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Isn't Stephen King pretty much solely to blame for at "magic negro" trope becoming a trope?