Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bonaventure posted:

please continue to enforce the politics thing burt

Remember praising Burt is ok, saying he might be doing something less then ideal is not. Of course people are going to discuss the politics behind a major event. Anyway I'm waiting on my instacart order, I got doughnut muffins and other less important things.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Bonaventure posted:

please continue to enforce the politics thing burt

look at this baby bitch

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Munin posted:

FFS, why are people cheering on Trump de-funding the WHO.

It should not be defunded. It may need a clean up though. If the WHO is catering to China at the expense of Taiwan and possibly the rest of the world because China is a big funder, then it's worth reminding the organization that China isn't their only funder or even their biggest funder.

For example, CCP said there was no person to person transmission. Taiwan told the WHO that they had some evidence of human to human transmission. For a month the Who toed the CCP party line assuring the rest of the world that there was no evidence of human to human transmission and didn't mention Taiwan's evidence. During that month infected people traveled all over the world, with airports and Customs not aware that there might be a problem.

That's a serious failure that appears motivated purely by politics, not public health.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

The Saucer Hovers posted:

look at this baby bitch

lookin... yeah, lookin cute

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

refusing to discuss politics is politics :cool:

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
At least Steak Umms posts are better than this thread.

https://twitter.com/steak_umm/status/1247721379442679809?s=20

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

uvar posted:

I'm worried that now we've gotten over the international cases (Ruby Princess, etc.) it'll look like things are going great in Australia and everyone will relax a bit and let community transmissions build up, and then we'll have to do this all again but stricter. Although that's probably because a cluster of employees at the local hospital have been discovered to have it, practically next door to where I live and work, so my paranoia's really shot up.

Not necessarily stricter. We've seen a few newspaper clips from 1918 and they did close theaters, music halls, churches, and other places of mass gatherings. But it looks like most of the businesses stayed open. You had to wear a gauze mask to ride public transit and from some photos of the time wearing masks in public was very common. But shops and factories didn't shut down.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Insane Totoro posted:

steam umms: woke as gently caress

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Platystemon posted:

They’re lies we tell to children.

Italy is going to turn the corner annnnnnny moment now. I have a good feeling about it this time.

The UK is at the bottom of a steep hill now but I can look into my crystal ball here and tell that the disease is going to stop dead in its tracks in May.

You can tell it’s legit because of the shaded areas of uncertainty. They wouldn’t lie to you.

I like how the shaded areas of uncertainty make it look just as likely that the numbers will be lower than the line as higher. Like this isn't a wildly optimistic projection, and it's just as likely that deaths stop at 55k as go all the way up to 80k, but surely no higher.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Insane Totoro posted:

want to be a fly on the wall of those zoom conferences where they brainstorm how to get their brand more sales

"lets tell them we're brainwashing them"
"sounds good"

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

i wish my cat had a second shaggier cat to match

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Maybe like Lord British he can sell vials of his blood to the faithful.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Maybe we should have a spin off thread that can be a bit less focused on the Coronavirus? Kind of have this one for serious news and the other one for cat pics/politics and other things related?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

zer0spunk posted:

At my last job I learned the guy who invented Steak Umms was the same guy who invented the goon favorite popcorn chicken.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My husband's work has stopped all customers from browsing, the new rule is they line up single file at the counter and explain what they need and the staff will retrieve the items for them. Which is so great, they were definitely getting lots of boredom browsing and everything they sell is metal so it could so easily lead to lots of contamination. He works at a heavy duty automotive supply store, so basically trucker support to keep their rigs on the road. But a lot of people were just abusing the fact they were open. I'm glad they're putting a stop to it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mozi posted:

that this seems to pass easily to cats (and probably back though it's not proven yet) kind of sucks. it's going to be endemic in feral cat colonies and will just keep coming back to humans until we're all vaccinated. and who's going to vaccinate all the cats? more likely there will be massive culls :/

Cats don't just carry it, they get sick. A feral cat gets no supportive care. Instead of becoming endemic to the colonies, those colonies may be self-culling.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

Maybe we should have a spin off thread that can be a bit less focused on the Coronavirus? Kind of have this one for serious news and the other one for cat pics/politics and other things related?

there is a gbs thread with a no coronavirus rule

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

Cats don't just carry it, they get sick. A feral cat gets no supportive care. Instead of becoming endemic to the colonies, those colonies may be self-culling.

A lot of cats are also in close contact with both feral cats and multiple human "owners"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

without supportive care the great majority of humans would survive as well

i'm happy to admit i don't really know what i'm talking about, but it's concerning to me that that 2019-nCoV so easily passes to and gets a foothold in other species that live alongside humans

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

zer0spunk posted:

apparently this guy is the person behind the twitter account:

https://twitter.com/nathanallebach/status/1247933387928715265?s=20

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Mnoba posted:

there is a gbs thread with a no coronavirus rule

Not what I'm suggesting. This hypothetical thread would be like Coronavirus less serious edition not no edition. Like it makes sense to have a thread that focuses on important information etc. which I'm kind of suggesting this one becomes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

When do we finally get a secret service agent to grow a spine and a concious, and then they can uzi Trump on the oval office.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Don't be dumb, if he gets martyred the next guy to get the job will be even worse.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mozi posted:

i'm happy to admit i don't really know what i'm talking about, but it's concerning to me that that 2019-nCoV so easily passes to and gets a foothold in other species that live alongside humans

A species that Americans aren't willing to kill even when it's a pest

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Don't be dumb, if he gets martyred the next guy to get the job will be even worse.

tbh have to assume this was planned

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Duck and Cover posted:

Not what I'm suggesting. This hypothetical thread would be like Coronavirus less serious edition not no edition. Like it makes sense to have a thread that focuses on important information etc. which I'm kind of suggesting this one becomes.

Here you go

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Caught the Today's show latest segment on this whole mess and they are thirsty as gently caress to call the worst of it all over and that we're on the way to recovery. Their bit on the end of Wuhan's lockdown was just several minutes of sloppy blowjob for the CCP.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

yeah pence scares me more than trump for a lot of reasons and in an assassination scenario he'd come in with a full lockdown, martial law, who even knows what the gently caress. it would not be a good thing

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Mozi posted:

Viruses can act differently between species. The symptoms, duration, transmission vectors, ratio of asymptomatic carriers, even the mortality could vary dramatically. It's just as likely that most cats who get Covid die as it is that none do.

We haven't done the research and quite frankly, right now we don't really have the resources to do so. If it turns our that cats are infecting humans after the worst is over we might run those tests, or we might just go out and kill all the stray cats. Who knows?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
We should kill feral colonies anyway bc they kill birds and poo poo and spread other diseases

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Plastik posted:

Viruses can act differently between species. The symptoms, duration, transmission vectors, ratio of asymptomatic carriers, even the mortality could vary dramatically. It's just as likely that most cats who get Covid die as it is that none do.

We haven't done the research and quite frankly, right now we don't really have the resources to do so. If it turns our that cats are infecting humans after the worst is over we might run those tests, or we might just go out and kill all the stray cats. Who knows?
So apparently cats could get SARS, but there was never a confirmed feline-to-human transmission. Not to say that this virus may not be different, but it seems unlikely that they are giving it to us.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Fabulousity posted:

Caught the Today's show latest segment on this whole mess and they are thirsty as gently caress to call the worst of it all over and that we're on the way to recovery. Their bit on the end of Wuhan's lockdown was just several minutes of sloppy blowjob for the CCP.

When no pandemic is going on, reporting that a pandemic is looming is good for clicks and views. When a pandemic is ongoing, reporting that it's almost over is, again, good for clicks and views. This is why we can't trust any news outlet with a financial interest to report honestly on this. It's in their best interest to say provocative things, and not in their interest at all to tell the truth.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
My internet went out but it was a network issue and I was the first person to report it because I gotta fuckin post so thanks neighborhood.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think there's an worthwhile inbetween between the tangents this thread goes on and the CDC website. Doesn't really matter though I'm fine with this thread just thought it'd be a compromise that would allow people to discuss how loving terrible Trump and others are handling this without risking the wrath of moderators. An another important note my doughnut muffins are here.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

FlamingLiberal posted:

So apparently cats could get SARS, but there was never a confirmed feline-to-human transmission. Not to say that this virus may not be different, but it seems unlikely that they are giving it to us.

The two viruses are somewhat related, but not closely enough to definitively say that cats can't pass this one to humans. Maybe they can, maybe they can't, we barely have space to speculate until we have a lot more data, so it's probably not a great topic of conversation.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

I think there's an worthwhile inbetween between the tangents this thread goes on and the CDC website. Doesn't really matter though I'm fine with this thread just thought it'd be a compromise that would allow people to discuss how loving terrible Trump and others are handling this without risking the wrath of moderators. An another important note my doughnut muffins are here.

GBS should not be a place people look to for serious news about a pandemic. Even when people are trying to help they post stuff that's wrong or speculative or not peer reviewed.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Plastik posted:

The two viruses are somewhat related, but not closely enough to definitively say that cats can't pass this one to humans. Maybe they can, maybe they can't, we barely have space to speculate until we have a lot more data, so it's probably not a great topic of conversation.

It can't be stressed enough that we actually don't know a whole lot about this virus yet and new information that subsequently needs confirmation is being pushed out all the time.

Nothing about this is a fast process.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Inept posted:

GBS should not be a place people look to for serious news about a pandemic. Even when people are trying to help they post stuff that's wrong or speculative or not peer reviewed.

*slowly puts down aquarium cleaner filled tumbler*

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Mnoba posted:

*slowly puts down aquarium cleaner filled tumbler*

ey man lemme get some of that

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Telsa Cola posted:

It can't be stressed enough that we actually don't know a whole lot about this virus yet and new information that subsequently needs confirmation is being pushed out all the time.

Nothing about this is a fast process.

Yeah I fell victim from a few thing thing here and there, like being angry at the WHO saying that H2H transmission was not possible when they actually said it was inconclusive back in January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
cats can catch this yet dogs cannot - has anyone investigated the close relation of the Wuhan Canine Research Laboratory to the Infectious Diseases research lab? it cannot be ruled out at this point that the CCP has created a breed of superintelligent dogs that broke into the virus lab and genetically engineered a plague that would wipe out their ancient enemies. it all adds up, people!