Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Google authenticator doesn't support cloud backups but does support device to device setup flows

Subjunctive posted:

can apps opt out of accessibility access?

what would people who, you know, need screen readers do then?
You can reject input from accessibility by hooking the right APIs and there's ways you can mess with the reading support but it's kind of a dick move to people who need it.

apseudonym fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ZeusCannon posted:

Isnt the google 2fa now tied to the google account its "linked" to? I coulda sworn they added a migration feature.

i am positive it does not

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

iirc even the push notification Google 2fa doesn't transfer between devices, unless you specifically set it to push to all devices

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

secure operating systems don't allow one app to inspect the state of another app
any os with sufficient debug tracing can let root snoop on passwords, for example windows, macos, probably ios, and freebsd all have dtrace
dtrace makes it possible to snoop on passwords, and there are even ways to make it easy

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

D. Ebdrup posted:

any os with sufficient debug tracing can let root snoop on passwords, for example windows, macos, probably ios, and freebsd all have dtrace
dtrace makes it possible to snoop on passwords, and there are even ways to make it easy

We all know this, no one is trying to defend against a rooted device here, they're trying to prevent Stanislav in Novosibirsk from signing into your account using a password they found and pulling your 2FA without your realization.

Obviously if they've popped your Google account they probably have your email and it's game over because so many places go "oh no 2FA???? Well I guess that's ok if you're resetting the password instead!" but it doesn't hurt to do this.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

cinci zoo sniper posted:

wait what, zoom is still using 128-bit aes ecb keys in some cases??

yeah, the same thing came up in the voip/sip protocols. the reason usually ends of being bandwidth savings, you can tell when there is dead-air on audio or little motion on video feeds without seeing the actual payload and use that info to pull some bandwidth saving tricks. clever, but overall a bad idea to save a buck for anything with true privacy concerns

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Volmarias posted:

We all know this, no one is trying to defend against a rooted device here, they're trying to prevent Stanislav in Novosibirsk from signing into your account using a password they found and pulling your 2FA without your realization.

Obviously if they've popped your Google account they probably have your email and it's game over because so many places go "oh no 2FA???? Well I guess that's ok if you're resetting the password instead!" but it doesn't hurt to do this.

If you've given a malicious app accessibility framework access then that's the equivalent of giving it full control over your device. Don't do that.

It's intentional that the accessibility framework can do anything that you the user can do - the alternative is that the device is not actually usable by someone who needs the accessibility framework.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

yeah, the same thing came up in the voip/sip protocols. the reason usually ends of being bandwidth savings, you can tell when there is dead-air on audio or little motion on video feeds without seeing the actual payload and use that info to pull some bandwidth saving tricks. clever, but overall a bad idea to save a buck for anything with true privacy concerns

I'm not going to fault them for using a bandwidth saving cipher given the situation we're in. Buuttt I'm sure they've been using it all along and don't deserve any credit.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
edit: i was pages behind, n/m

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Pinterest Mom posted:

3.0.2 (Apr 6 2020)
-Added Easter event

are the little easter eggs in the TOTP code meant to be letter O or number 0 ?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Raere posted:

I'm not going to fault them for using a bandwidth saving cipher given the situation we're in. Buuttt I'm sure they've been using it all along and don't deserve any credit.

of course they've been doing it all along, they're conserving bandwidth to improve their bottom line, not out of generosity.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

D. Ebdrup posted:

Any OS that let's you dtrace other things isn't a secure OS tho

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

any OS that lets you use it at all or even look at it isn't sufficiently secure imo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shame Boy posted:

any OS that lets you use it at all or even look at it isn't sufficiently secure imo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
apple will review your entitlements and there’s a subset of keys that will require you to explain to a human a really really good reason you need to use it before they approve your app. dtrace is almost certainly on that list if it’s even available on the publish to App Store target (haven’t checked)

and there’s also a way to flag a process as invisible to dtrace, not sure if that’s usable by non-Apple devs though

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

haveblue posted:

apple will review your entitlements and there’s a subset of keys that will require you to explain to a human a really really good reason you need to use it before they approve your app. dtrace is almost certainly on that list if it’s even available on the publish to App Store target (haven’t checked)

and there’s also a way to flag a process as invisible to dtrace, not sure if that’s usable by non-Apple devs though

Apple enables some pretty scary entitlements but dtrace on a production phone would be a pretty insane.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I googled dtrace and I got topic appropriate my little pony fanart

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

ah yes, the academia gambit

abigserve posted:

I googled dtrace and I got topic appropriate my little pony fanart
i've heard sun people say that the original mascot wasn't influenced by that, but who's to say what influence the artist had (other than the artist, who was the significant other of one of the sun people)
the most-often used depiction of beastie, the bsd daemon, was drawn by john lasseter and certainly looks like something out of disney

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

D. Ebdrup posted:

ah yes, the academia gambit

i've heard sun people say that the original mascot wasn't influenced by that, but who's to say what influence the artist had (other than the artist, who was the significant other of one of the sun people)
the most-often used depiction of beastie, the bsd daemon, was drawn by john lasseter and certainly looks like something out of disney

disney also tied it back in as well in 2013 with a movie about bsd, it was called frozen

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

:rimshot:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jabor posted:

If you've given a malicious app accessibility framework access then that's the equivalent of giving it full control over your device. Don't do that.

It's intentional that the accessibility framework can do anything that you the user can do - the alternative is that the device is not actually usable by someone who needs the accessibility framework.

You're violently agreeing with me, I think?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

abigserve posted:

disney also tied it back in as well in 2013 with a movie about bsd, it was called frozen
holy poo poo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lomarf

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

i completely ended up with stomach cramps from laughing so much at that

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Thats fuckin amazin

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

abigserve posted:

:iceburn:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.rtcsec.com/2020/04/01-slack-webrtc-turn-compromise/

this is a fun short read

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://twitter.com/swagitda_/status/1247620482473627649

when covid phishing is outlawed something something click here

(actually, it's bad)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It's a good thing criminals are united behind not trying to exploit this crisis for personal gain.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i dunno about you, but if i was working for a company trying to secure their business, my goals would be a bit different from the goals of a criminal attacking that company.

to use a physical security analogy, i'm not going to around breaking windows to get in even though i can see where a criminal might do that.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

if the extent of your phishing preparedness is showing "ah yes, people can fall prey to phishing", you've got lovely security.

At least focus on what to do once someone has been phished or in trying to detect it happening and do some disaster preparedness rather than just doing the security equivalent of pulling on people's shoelaces while they're not looking and going "uh they were not tied super hard I guess! that's a trip hazard!!"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MononcQc posted:

At least focus on what to do once someone has been phished or in trying to detect it happening and do some disaster preparedness rather than just doing the security equivalent of pulling on people's shoelaces while they're not looking and going "uh they were not tied super hard I guess! that's a trip hazard!!"

We're rapidly going in that direction lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

some pen tester once said that his company doesn’t live phish anymore, they just pull a name out of a hat and a manager goes to that person, tells them they’re part of a security exercise, and instructs them to open a particular file, then some prescribed interval of time later report to their infosec team that they opened a suspect file. this brings the result of compromise but also means that there’s nobody to unfairly blame since you can assume anyone can get phished by a clever enough attacker and this way your initial point of compromise is in on the scheme. it’s it quite as organic but way less likely to result in phish awareness as the only change that gets made.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

or they drag me to the front of the room and remind them yet again not to shut their brains off in the face of allegedly-urgent emails

a half-hour of training saves me and the incident team hundreds of hours of cleanup, and if it didn't stick or you just weren't listening this year then go ahead and email me for the ninth time about whether it's safe to click this or that, whatever idc just don't break our poo poo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

or they drag me to the front of the room and remind them yet again not to shut their brains off in the face of allegedly-urgent emails

a half-hour of training saves me and the incident team hundreds of hours of cleanup, and if it didn't stick or you just weren't listening this year then go ahead and email me for the ninth time about whether it's safe to click this or that, whatever idc just don't break our poo poo

oh yeah, there’s definitely value in that! the tendency the pen tester described was that the entire org blamed the person who clicked on the phish as the sole reason the compromise happened and rather than working on incident response and protection of their intranet against insider attacks, the org just went WELL IF YOU DUMMIES WOULDN’T GET PHISHED WE WOULDN’T HAVE A PROBLEM so literally the only change they made was running the training you described.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
after years of having an entirely worthless filtering system that happily let through any and all phishing mail pretending to be from office 365, microsoft has added a new quarantine notification about suspected phishing messages, that looks exactly like the phishing messages it's supposed to be quarantining.

thanks microsoft. very helpful.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Midjack posted:

oh yeah, theres definitely value in that! the tendency the pen tester described was that the entire org blamed the person who clicked on the phish as the sole reason the compromise happened and rather than working on incident response and protection of their intranet against insider attacks, the org just went WELL IF YOU DUMMIES WOULDNT GET PHISHED WE WOULDNT HAVE A PROBLEM so literally the only change they made was running the training you described.

Perhaps there is value in both sending phishing emails, and also running incident response training, rather than just one or the other????

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The greatest value of phishing tests is being able to delete obnoxious emails from office boomers because "it looked like phishing".

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Perhaps there is value in both sending phishing emails, and also running incident response training, rather than just one or the other????

wasn't my pen test or my client, it's what this guy told me his company did. i like the idea of separating the two so you don't just blame bob from accounting for all of your compromise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

just send an email with the results of the phishing tests but it's a phishing email, security team has trained people to trust their emails rather than just delete them like they should with all the other emails