Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Arist posted:

the worst Stand fight is absolutely in Part 3

Which is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
dragon's dream was dumb but in kind of a funny way

the worst stand fight was sethan and it wasn't even close

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

pick one at random

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Babyface is the shittiest fight in the series.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah babyface is just a mess and this is even looking beyond the super gross aspect of it. dragon's dream is funny

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

There's a lot of really dull and forgettable fights in part 3, especially early on. Like is anyone gonna die on the hill of keeping Dark Blue Moon or Strength?

Hell, the actual fight with Hierophant Green is dull as poo poo and the one interesting part literally never gets referenced again.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Part 3 is very overrated. The stand battles are (understandably) some of the worst in the series. And Jotaro is a mediocre JoJo at best.

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah babyface is just a mess and this is even looking beyond the super gross aspect of it. dragon's dream is funny

It's sad since that's the only stand fight where Giorno defeats the stand all by himself.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Part 3 is very overrated. The stand battles are (understandably) some of the worst in the series. And Jotaro is a mediocre JoJo at best.

you had me in the first half, not gonna lie

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

There's a lot of really dull and forgettable fights in part 3, especially early on. Like is anyone gonna die on the hill of keeping Dark Blue Moon or Strength?

Hell, the actual fight with Hierophant Green is dull as poo poo and the one interesting part literally never gets referenced again.

Strength was a cool concept that didn't need to be tied to Rape Ape and a little girl shower scene. I wouldn't be surprised if other parts did it better, though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jotaro is a good character but he's not a great protagonist of his own part. Part of it is that he's relentlessly one-note "cool," which is kind of offputting at first, and that plus his tendency to pull new powers straight out of his rear end whenever he needs them sucks pretty much any tension out of any fight he's a part of. His mellowing down in Part 4 actually really well contextualizes him in Part 3 though, as some guy who's just trying waaaaaaaaaaay too loving hard. The problem is that in Part 3 you never really see behind the facade.

The D'Arby fight is as good as it is at least partially because it's one of the few times in Part 3 where Jotaro's personality is actually like, important to the fight and helps him win. It doesn't involve his Stand at all, but you couldn't give his moment to Young Joseph or Josuke, it's all about his strengths as a character.

So, if we're contextualizing "best JoJo" by how good they are as protagonist within their own part, Jotaro is honestly probably in the lower half for me. He rises higher when we take into consideration his entire character arc across the series.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Arist posted:

The problem is that in Part 3 you never really see behind the facade.

I feel like every single Jotaro one-liner, his catchphrase being the same as Charlie Brown's, and him being shown to have been a blatant momma's boy in the past is enough to nail down that Jotaro is lame but thinks he is cool and nobody's gonna tell him he isn't because they don't wanna get the living daylights beat out of him.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I just tried to rewatch 3 due to quarantine boredome, and I had to skip most of it; the early Stand fights are just bad, and the best ones (that resemble later ones) all have Iggy involved. Which is weird because 1 and 2 flowed fine and were easily watchable (which makes sense as he hadn't figured out how to get as crazy as with Hamon with Stands at first).

Darko fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 22, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Arist posted:

Jotaro is a good character but he's not a great protagonist of his own part. Part of it is that he's relentlessly one-note "cool," which is kind of offputting at first, and that plus his tendency to pull new powers straight out of his rear end whenever he needs them sucks pretty much any tension out of any fight he's a part of. His mellowing down in Part 4 actually really well contextualizes him in Part 3 though, as some guy who's just trying waaaaaaaaaaay too loving hard. The problem is that in Part 3 you never really see behind the facade.

Pretty much. Jotaro annoyed me in Part 3 because he was a disrespectful punk kid who needed to be checked, but wasn't because he was bigger than everybody.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The fact that Jotaro not only was married but had a daughter throughout the entirety of Part 4 is still maybe the funniest loving thing.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Since we are talking about Stone Ocean, fans really go all out huh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9x4jGpDwfM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zJ2eSDo6oM

Also, I posted this in the anime thread. Not sure if you guys seen it before. Some guy is making his own JoJo part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJs2zwHwl5U

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

FirstAidKite posted:

I feel like every single Jotaro one-liner, his catchphrase being the same as Charlie Brown's, and him being shown to have been a blatant momma's boy in the past is enough to nail down that Jotaro is lame but thinks he is cool and nobody's gonna tell him he isn't because they don't wanna get the living daylights beat out of him.

There's a bunch of small details that add to that too. Like how when dragging an unconscious Kakyoin into the house for treatment he stopped to take off both of their shoes

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
He also turned kakyoin around at some point between picking him up and getting him home.

I agree entirely about Jotaro being a much better character when he isn't the lead. He's unmistakably cool in parts 4 and 6 but because he isn't the main character, they don't have to rely on him to take care of most of the fights. He's definitely the most improved character in the series.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tarezax posted:

There's a bunch of small details that add to that too. Like how when dragging an unconscious Kakyoin into the house for treatment he stopped to take off both of their shoes

Or the fact that Jotaro does tricks like holding a bunch of lit cigs in his mouth without putting them out

Dude's a total goober

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

The proof that Jotaro is immediately better in part 4 is how he, within moments of arriving in a sleepy seaside town, is engaged in a fistfight in the street with a 16 year old.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Jotaro really only has so many ways to engage with the world.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

TheLoneStar posted:

We can all at least agree that Part 6 hosted the worst Stand battle in JoJo history, Dragon's Dream, right?

Nah, that one has chill-rear end dragon and "he's an idiot who drinks his own piss" line. There are worse, that's for sure. I never enjoyed Superfly and Boys II Men, personally. But if we're talking absolute worst, I feel like it's probably Alessi. I will agree that Part 3 has some of the weaker ones, due to pacing or having nothing going for them except for concept. There was no reason to spread the gamer arc across three episodes, considering the F-Mega part kinda had nothing going for it. Strength was a good idea, but the tone was all over the place.
Part 5 also kinda suffers from Giorno pulling the solution from his rear end. Jotaro sucking in Justice was at least funny (and it also happened in a comedy episode), compared to two episodes ending with lol bricksnake cloneturtle

And yeah, Jotaro is a dry protagonist, but after later parts he retroactively got better because it's so much clearer that he's just a weird awkward teen

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 23, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Alessi was probably my actual pick for worst Stand fight in the series, considering that it's almost entirely a naked child Polnareff running away from the creepiest man alive and doing very little to actually attack him until Jotaro shows up and solves the problem for him

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like a lot of the actual Bad fights or ones that are just sort of there at best and in the way at worst are times when araki is trying to play some sort of creepy horror angle and falls short on it, which just leaves this tonally weird mess that doesn't mesh together at all

like babyface and alessi in particular stand out to me in that regard

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Which is a drat shame, because when the horror angle does work, it's phenomenal.

See: Vitamin C, Civil War, the entire final stretch of Part 4

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Goo Goo Dolls is the good version of the Alessi fight.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
EDIT: Wrong thread stand.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I will admit. Johnny Joestar's and Gyro's reasons for trying to find the corpse parts is very stupid. Even though "that's the point".

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Another thing I remembered about Jotaro and how he's actually a dork is that when Joseph pretended to be Dio, he asked him questions only Joseph would know the answers to and that only Joseph would know stuff like who Weird Al is, yet Jotaro also has to know that stuff.

He is all about the image of being cool without understanding what it is to actually be cool. Him modeling himself after Blondie works so well since it's pretty much just Jotaro trying to ape Blondie. I feel like the chain helps with the design comparison since when Blondie has his poncho on towards the end of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, the poncho has a similar chain-like design from that same shoulder. Copying Columbo tricks too just shows that he's just aping was he saw on TV and in a lot of ways that makes him kind of like Duke Nukem as they're both just muscular dweebs who are all about trying to get the good one-liner and aren't gonna get called out on it because they both extremely capable of murdering the gently caress out of you (or worse)

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
He’s also a sumo fan, which has to be at least a little dorky for a, what, 17 year old circa SC?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/FrostiFusionZ_/status/1247932326304198662?s=20

:bignews:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Schwarzwald posted:

Part 6 has a lot of false starts and dead ends where its pretty obvious Araki changed his mind
part 8 is feeling a lot like this

where's kyo

where's kaato

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

To be fair we thought the same thing about Mitsuba and she ended up becoming a major character out of nowhere

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i haven't read the past few chapters and i'm honestly going to reserve judging it for when it's done or basically done, because if there's anything we can tell at this point it's that araki can and will just pull out basically anything and we shouldn't assume one way or the other

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

He brought back Ojiro so I think we're well past the point of being able to guess who is or isn't coming back

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

that dude dying on land but in a jacuzzi will forever be an araki masterstroke

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Patware posted:

that dude dying on land but in a jacuzzi will forever be an araki masterstroke

Oh god dammit

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
So we've talked about the worst stand fight, but how about the best?
I think nothing came close to DIO's World. Almost every frame of it is perfect and almost every second is hilarious. The World and Star Platinum being the same never bothered me, and I'm surprised more people don't talk about the actual worst part of the fight: DIO's death. Three other villains are essentially in hell, but the worst person was just punched hard.
Still, from knives to Jotaro in the sewer, DIO's skull heart and various other things it's just so full of weird poo poo, I love it.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Dio would have won if he didn't try to kick with his bad leg

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The important part of the last scene isn't the leg punch, it's Jotaro using his own power against him and then belittling him with mock-pity as he allows him to recover. Jotaro's Stand may be Star Platinum but his true superpower is his indominable will and ability to psychologically destroy his opponents. When the final Stand clash happens DIO has already allowed fear into his heart, which is why The World shatters against Star Platinum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
grateful dead/beach boy

like half the fights in steel ball run

I don't remember part 6 that well but it probably has some good contenders