Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Radirot posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to look up posts from people that quote me? I sometimes can't tell if someone is replying to me in threads that are very active.

Use the search feature with the tools

quoting:Radirot

and

threadid:8675309

or whatever number the thread you’re looking at is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Anyone have a wireless headset* that they’d recommend? My old Logitech one is dying in the left ear, is wired, and gives me a headache after a couple of hours because of how strongly it grips. I’d like one that goes on only one ear so I can reverse it throughout the day.

*business style rather than gamer style, I mean.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Use the search feature with the tools

quoting:Radirot

and

threadid:8675309

or whatever number the thread you’re looking at is.

Testing that on this thread I got this, maybe it's not working anymore?

code:
Searched for posts which meet the following criteria:
Quoting the username 'Radirot'
Posted in the thread 'Stupid/Small Questions Megathread'
Showing results 1 to 0 of 0 results. Query took 0.00 seconds to complete.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

tuyop posted:

Anyone have a wireless headset* that they’d recommend? My old Logitech one is dying in the left ear, is wired, and gives me a headache after a couple of hours because of how strongly it grips. I’d like one that goes on only one ear so I can reverse it throughout the day.

When I was looking a few months back, it sounded like short of dropping a few hundred, Logitech something is probably the way to go

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Radirot posted:

Testing that on this thread I got this, maybe it's not working anymore?

code:
Searched for posts which meet the following criteria:
Quoting the username 'Radirot'
Posted in the thread 'Stupid/Small Questions Megathread'
Showing results 1 to 0 of 0 results. Query took 0.00 seconds to complete.

It worked a few months ago. I can’t get it to work now. I’ll bring it up in the technical issues thread tomorrow if it hasn’t fixed itself by then.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

dupersaurus posted:

When I was looking a few months back, it sounded like short of dropping a few hundred, Logitech something is probably the way to go

Aw drat, I guess I’m also wondering if these ones are any good at all. There’s like five brands of this same one on amazon Canada.

Mpow V5.0 Bluetooth Headset with Mic, https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07VL88CB4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3.sLEbER55WDN

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm looking for a USB-C to USB-C cable that's around 1.5m ~ 2m long and the ones that I purchased online are way too stiff for my liking. I'm looking for something that's a little bit "looser" and doesn't put so much pressure on my charging port when I pick up my phone or tablet. Where can I find one like this? Preferably on Amazon.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Apple’s USB‐C cables are extremely supple at the cost of some durability.

You’ve likely used enough Apple cables to know if that’s a problem for you.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

dupersaurus posted:

SteelSeries Arctis 7 is all black and doesn’t look too gamery. Physical mute button which is great for making sure nobody can hear you on a Skype conference call.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

SteelSeries Arctis 7 is all black and doesn’t look too gamery. Physical mute button which is great for making sure nobody can hear you on a Skype conference call.

Oh boy that’s like $200CAD. Does it do proper mic loopback so you can hear yourself without yelling? That’s the only thing keeping me away from those big over-ear models.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

tuyop posted:

Jabra headsets are really good if you're primarily looking for business application

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

Oh boy that’s like $200CAD. Does it do proper mic loopback so you can hear yourself without yelling? That’s the only thing keeping me away from those big over-ear models.

Yes, I have a pair of the steelseries Arctis 7 and they can easily be configured to hear your own mic at three different volume levels. Really great headphones, I bought a used pair from eBay and have been very happy.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I've got an Arctis 5 and really like it. I only didn't mention it at first since it's gamer and two-eared

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The battery life is also the best I’ve found. It lasts forever.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Since we're talking about headphones, what's the consensus on good chat headsets? The open one-ear ones. Mostly for comfort and mic quality.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Busy Bee posted:

I'm looking for a USB-C to USB-C cable that's around 1.5m ~ 2m long and the ones that I purchased online are way too stiff for my liking. I'm looking for something that's a little bit "looser" and doesn't put so much pressure on my charging port when I pick up my phone or tablet. Where can I find one like this? Preferably on Amazon.

I've found that any of the nylon braided cables I've ordered have been pretty reasonably flexible. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/ZeaLife-Char...6883447&sr=8-13

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Manager Hoyden posted:

Since we're talking about headphones, what's the consensus on good chat headsets? The open one-ear ones. Mostly for comfort and mic quality.

This is actually the question that started it all! I just ordered one of those MPOW thingies so I’ll let you all know.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

tuyop posted:

This is actually the question that started it all! I just ordered one of those MPOW thingies so I’ll let you all know.

Well I can't read. Thanks for asking then!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

May be the wrong place due to the demographics on SA, but what's the deal with the rise of phone typing? I'm early-mid 30s and suck at it. It takes a while, is a pain, involves lots of correction etc. I send texts, email etc on computer to max extent. I get the impression a lot of younger people don't use non-tablet/phone comps outside work, and/or actively prefer phone typing. Is it a skill you need to learn early? What am I missing? My ineptness isn't for lack of trying. Same kind of goes for laptop touchpads and game controllers vice mice.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Are you using swype at all?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Gets better results, but still a pain. Things work better if you're not using specialty language.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dominoes posted:

May be the wrong place due to the demographics on SA, but what's the deal with the rise of phone typing? I'm early-mid 30s and suck at it. It takes a while, is a pain, involves lots of correction etc. I send texts, email etc on computer to max extent. I get the impression a lot of younger people don't use non-tablet/phone comps outside work, and/or actively prefer phone typing. Is it a skill you need to learn early? What am I missing? My ineptness isn't for lack of trying. Same kind of goes for laptop touchpads and game controllers vice mice.

Yeah it’s just a matter of x thousands of hours spent doing the thing. Most youths just happen to spend all their time on their phone when we used to spend all our time on desktops and then later laptops.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dominoes posted:

I think it's mostly just the convenience of not needing to own/use a computer. You've already got your phone on you.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

tuyop posted:

Yeah it’s just a matter of x thousands of hours spent doing the thing. Most youths just happen to spend all their time on their phone when we used to spend all our time on desktops and then later laptops.

I've met people who could compose text messages on the old numerical -only phone keypads faster than I could type on my computer keyboard.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Shut up Meg posted:

I've met people who could compose text messages on the old numerical -only phone keypads faster than I could type on my computer keyboard.

Yeah, it’s just skills that people have a bit of aptitude for and a ton of practice, like anything else. For instance, I just typed this post out on my phone without looking.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'd say it's also what you're used to, I don't live phone typing in part because I'm comparing it to using a keyboard, I could definitely see the reverse being true though, your preference as a function of what's normal.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Do concise texts. It’s good.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

When I've had to be in the datacentre or travelling I would post on my phone since my computer was unreachable.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

tuyop posted:

Yeah, it’s just skills that people have a bit of aptitude for and a ton of practice, like anything else. For instance, I just typed this post out on my phone without looking.

I wish so hard that this post had been full of errors

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Stupid ebay question:

I don't quite understand this: there's no refund showing up on my paypal account, so did ebay give the buyer their money back themselves, or is going to come out of my account and hasn't been processed yet?

E:

quote:

A case has been opened because the buyer has an issue with an item purchased from you. We reviewed the case and have decided to issue the buyer a refund of £xx.xx without any impact to you.

This case is now closed. You aren't required to reimburse the buyer or eBay and this case will not be counted in your seller performance evaluation.
Maybe ebay is feeling generous?

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 15, 2020

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Years ago someone made a thread about a kind of forums Risk game. Like the map of the world was broken up into territories and each poster could claim a territory. Then every day you could do various things like attack other territories, upgrade technology, etc. Posters could make alliances and stab each other in the back, etc. Does anyone know what I’m talking about or what it was called? Does it still exist?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

RCarr posted:

Years ago someone made a thread about a kind of forums Risk game. Like the map of the world was broken up into territories and each poster could claim a territory. Then every day you could do various things like attack other territories, upgrade technology, etc. Posters could make alliances and stab each other in the back, etc. Does anyone know what I’m talking about or what it was called? Does it still exist?

vDiplomacy.com? dipBOUNCED.com?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

No it was all contained inside the thread via text and images as far as I know. There was no outside website used.

Edit: Will do, thanks!

RCarr fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 16, 2020

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I would suggest asking at the game name thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925708 or the let's play sandcastle https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790126 or both.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Is there a Firefox plugin that will set it up so that certain websites are never brought up in search results? I do a lot of sound editing for podcasts and some local community theater stuff and Google is the simplest and most of the time quickest way of retrieving these sounds, but certain sound effect websites and youtube channels are worthless but seem to have hit that Google tipping point where they take up half of the search results. Also, Pinterest. I've never needed Pinterest and I don't know why Google thinks the answer to every search query is to look at someone's collection of pictures of said query.

Edit to add: I know I can use search parameters and access various settings, but that's all on a per-search basis and kind of a hassle.

credburn fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 17, 2020

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

credburn posted:

Is there a Firefox plugin that will set it up so that certain websites are never brought up in search results? I do a lot of sound editing for podcasts and some local community theater stuff and Google is the simplest and most of the time quickest way of retrieving these sounds, but certain sound effect websites and youtube channels are worthless but seem to have hit that Google tipping point where they take up half of the search results. Also, Pinterest. I've never needed Pinterest and I don't know why Google thinks the answer to every search query is to look at someone's collection of pictures of said query.

Edit to add: I know I can use search parameters and access various settings, but that's all on a per-search basis and kind of a hassle.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/hohser/

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I use an extension called Unpinterested, but for Chrome. Looking around it seems like Firefox had it, but then rejected it and the author has had to resubmit a few times to get it re-approved.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

So I've got an MPOW TH1 now. My job is teaching adults how to use computers good (and do other stuff good sometimes) and I tutor kids online in the evenings. This means that right now I spend from 6-8 hours a day talking into a headset.

I have a wired logitech H390 that I bought for online tutoring years ago. Worked great for awhile and for those 1-3 hour bursts it was tolerable. I also used it as a headset for my students who needed text-to-speech software since it isolated noise pretty well (and for games club :3:). I'd say it probably lasted a few hundred hours before the left speaker stopped playing sound intermittently. Beyond the 1 hour mark or so it also hurts the poo poo out of my ears. It clamps quite hard and has an on-ear design. Just kind of sucks after awhile and these days I've been swapping earpods and that headset out every hour or two but at the end of the day I feel like I've been punched in the ears.

So this is my first day with the MPOW TH1. I wanted to try a one-sided headset so I could swap between ears if one got hot or tired. So far it's quite comfortable if a tiny bit too big for me (I have a small head). The headset can't weigh much more than 150 grams so my ear hasn't gotten sore yet. My students sound fine through the speaker and they say they can hear me clearly (and I sounded just fine in my test recordings). The bluetooth also works very consistently. Quick pairing and when I turn on the headset my MBP picks it up in like 5 seconds.

I tested the noise canceling last night and today and I was very impressed. My keyboard clicks don't get picked up by the mic, a TV show playing at the same time at normal volume doesn't get picked up. The vacuum also doesn't get picked up. If I take a big drink of water and swallow loudly it blocks that too. It's loving black magic and I love it, I've never encountered noise cancelling that's so effective and I can only imagine that MPOW has done some crazy industrial espionage to steal the world's greatest AEC and ANC algorithms.

Overall I'm very happy with this $51CAD thing. It even has an external battery base thing that extends the talk time to 200 hours before you have to plug into a wall, which seems a bit silly to me but whatever.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Okay, so I realize this is a stupid silly/stupid question (hence why I'm posting it i this thread) but I'm kinda new to the whole having a playstation experience and I'm curious. Every so often I get a random (spam) message from whomever, and I've just been deleting them without a second thought like I do whenever someone I've played against messages me. I've got my friendlist filled with friends and I rarely care about randoms. But sometimes they're just... weird. They're wannabe philosophical/religious bullshit all written íñ wéïrd scrïpt líké thís with messages like "Honest criticism isn't aimed at the poet, but at the poem" or some religious phrase or whatever.

What the gently caress is up with that? Is it just some cook trying to bypass spam filters trying to get his weirdo message out there? Is it phishing attempt? Like... I don't get it. I don't see the goal, the upside, to whomever is sending those out to random accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I am looking for a copypasta that was around SA a while ago and probably other places too. It had to do with libertarianism. Basically it was a multi-paragraph description of a person getting up, eating breakfast, going to work, then coming home and posting on the internet about how terrible government regulations are. So it would say something like "I drink milk with my breakfast, because the FDA verifies that it won't poison me" and such but for water supplies, electricity, roads, etc. It pointed at the absurdity of protesting the existence of regulations while failing to realize how much you benefit from them.