Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I loved how the anime played up the Oingo Boingo “fight” by making it really ambiguous if Joseph and Polnareff knew he was a fake and were just loving with him, only to seemingly confirm at the end that no, they seriously did think he was Jotaro all along. Really, it’s a shame that Jotaro’s dorkiness beneath the “cool tough guy” act is almost entirely inferred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I can't loving choose one or even two or three best fights so I'm just gonna ramble off a bunch of my favs

Both D'arbys
DIO's World
Highway Star
Bites The Dust/Crazy Diamond is Unbreakable
Beach Boy/Grateful Dead
Metallica
Jail House Lock
Bohemian Rhapsody
C-Moon
Sugar Mountain
D4C/Love Train
High Voltage

on a side note, I really like High Voltage as an arc title. The ACDC reference ties the whole thing back to Valentine and shows that even though DIO is the one that's fighting, he's really just Valentine's last-ditch gambit and not the main villain in his own right.

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 15, 2020

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vookatos posted:

So we've talked about the worst stand fight, but how about the best?

While probably not "the best", or even my personal fave, I have a fondness for the Highway Star fight.

-"I REFUSE"
-Josuke having to race across the city while being pursued by a stand that can't really be seen or stopped for long, resulting in needing to do stuff like:
--disassembling and reassembling a motorcycle while on the move to avoid hitting a baby and its mother.
--trapping Highway Star inside a car while also siphoning gas from it for the motorcycle which was almost out of gas.
--Stealing multiple phones because the first one broke.

-"Okay master let's kill da ho. BIIIIIIIIITCH"
-Finally reaching the Stand User, and because Yuya is hospitalized Josuke courteously heals him before defenestrating him because it wouldn't be right otherwise.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Angry_Ed posted:

While probably not "the best", or even my personal fave, I have a fondness for the Highway Star fight.

-"I REFUSE"
-Josuke having to race across the city while being pursued by a stand that can't really be seen or stopped for long, resulting in needing to do stuff like:
--disassembling and reassembling a motorcycle while on the move to avoid hitting a baby and its mother.
--trapping Highway Star inside a car while also siphoning gas from it for the motorcycle which was almost out of gas.

-"Okay master let's kill da ho. BIIIIIIIIITCH"
-Finally reaching the Stand User, and because Yuya is hospitalized Josuke courteously heals him before defenestrating him because it wouldn't be right otherwise.

Highway Star easily has the most creative uses of Josuke's power in all of part 4. I think it's probably like, THE fight to show people if you want to show them why JoJo is great - it takes a relatively simple power (healing things it breaks) and then pushes it to the logical extreme. It really shows off where JoJo shines as a series, which is taking a relatively mundane or simple-seeming power and doing crazy poo poo with it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Angry_Ed posted:

Also showing even he forgets about his powers sometimes he could have fixed the phone.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also showing even he forgets about his powers sometimes he could have fixed the phone.

See, I wish more people went this route or "That was there for comedic purposes" instead of the whole "Araki Forgot" thing because something like forgetting that he can just fix the phone is more fun. It's a cute character trait! It's totally something similar to what Joseph would do.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Plus him happening to interrupt two important phone calls in a row is just a really funny moment.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

hell i don't think he could've fixed the phone because look me in the eye and tell me josuke knows how a phone works

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Patware posted:

hell i don't think he could've fixed the phone because look me in the eye and tell me josuke knows how a phone works

I don't think that's really a part of his stand, unless he happens to have an unmentioned encyclopedic knowledge of motorcycles and turtle anatomy.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i think one of the biggest problems with jotaro in part 3 is that he's not stating his state of mind in a series that up until that point had protagonists that voiced their feelings and desires openly.

the viewer was given a window into both johnathan and joseph's minds in part 1 and 2. they are entirely transparent as characters, there's really never a time where you don't know what they're thinking or feeling. meanwhile, jotaro is almost entirely opaque. you can glean how much he actually cares about his family from scenes where he freaks out about them (holly getting up to put on a brave face, when joseph had been attacked by lovers), but you never have scenes where you get monologues with jotaro clearly stating his feelings on anything.

this opacity carries forward a little bit, but I don't think it's ever quite as present as with jotaro in part 3. Josuke doesn't monologue about everything, but he does clearly state his feelings on things sometimes. even part 4 jotaro is more transparent about his feelings on others and his environment than in part 3.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

What I really appreciate with Part 4 Jotaro is you see alot of his affectations from Part 3 were deliberate tactics as he mentors the Morioh gang, like how to commends Koichi for getting Kira really shook during Sheer Heart Attack and encouraging Josuke to give Ghost Dad his best own when they have him on the ropes. All part of the Kujo school of mentally devastating your opponent.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Couldn't sleep today, so decided to check the 1993 OVA with my bf, and I was pleasantly surprised.
It's a bit more slow, but overall really sold.
I can see why people like some stuff from DIO's World way more! It's way better paced and at times better-looking. A shame that they went for more serious tone, so stuff like Jotaro in the sewers, Al Yancovich, DIO's insane-rear end lean back, skull heart, etc. were cut. His voice was also super weird! Still, it was nice to see a different interpretation of some of those scenes

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Condiv posted:

i think one of the biggest problems with jotaro in part 3 is that he's not stating his state of mind in a series that up until that point had protagonists that voiced their feelings and desires openly.

the viewer was given a window into both johnathan and joseph's minds in part 1 and 2. they are entirely transparent as characters, there's really never a time where you don't know what they're thinking or feeling. meanwhile, jotaro is almost entirely opaque. you can glean how much he actually cares about his family from scenes where he freaks out about them (holly getting up to put on a brave face, when joseph had been attacked by lovers), but you never have scenes where you get monologues with jotaro clearly stating his feelings on anything.

this opacity carries forward a little bit, but I don't think it's ever quite as present as with jotaro in part 3. Josuke doesn't monologue about everything, but he does clearly state his feelings on things sometimes. even part 4 jotaro is more transparent about his feelings on others and his environment than in part 3.

Reminds me of his profile blurb where Jotaro just thinks people know what he's thinking, or he thinks he's already very emotive when he isn't. Since he can read people pretty well, and Holly can read him pretty well, he's clearly readable. Maybe this extends to the audience and the idea of that is pretty funny to me.

It also gives next new context to D'arby the Gambler since he doesn't seem to get how unreadable he is.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Vookatos posted:

Couldn't sleep today, so decided to check the 1993 OVA with my bf, and I was pleasantly surprised.
It's a bit more slow, but overall really sold.
I can see why people like some stuff from DIO's World way more! It's way better paced and at times better-looking. A shame that they went for more serious tone, so stuff like Jotaro in the sewers, Al Yancovich, DIO's insane-rear end lean back, skull heart, etc. were cut. His voice was also super weird! Still, it was nice to see a different interpretation of some of those scenes

How have we not had a stand user whose stand, [Yankovich], lets him copy other stands yet?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The Bee posted:

How have we not had a stand user whose stand, [Yankovich], lets him copy other stands yet?

I like Jukebox Hero as the name for a copy stand.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

kidz bop, which copies a stand but in a slightly shittier way

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Johnny Joestar posted:

slightly shittier

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like how bohemian rhapsody can never be used again because it'll just bring back weather report's OC and stop itself

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Chapter 96
This is straight up some Junji Ito levels of memetic horror and I'm loving the dawning realization that's hitting everyone. Rai straight up goading a the murderer into offing himself just so he could knit himself into a sweater and escape just tickles me. I had no idea where he was going with his ramblings but Rai had already reached Bruno levels of hardcore when he survived Tom's stand, and he's just trying his hardest to raise the bar

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Brought To You By posted:

Chapter 96
This is straight up some Junji Ito levels of memetic horror and I'm loving the dawning realization that's hitting everyone. Rai straight up goading a the murderer into offing himself just so he could knit himself into a sweater and escape just tickles me. I had no idea where he was going with his ramblings but Rai had already reached Bruno levels of hardcore when he survived Tom's stand, and he's just trying his hardest to raise the bar

Unless I'm really misreading the way it works the Head Doctor's Stand seems to be a combination of Hanged Man, Bites the Dust, and a lethal attack version of Ticket to Ride. It can jump through objects (glass and screens, it looks like) and attacks multiple people who try to pursue the Head Doctor by causing a series of unlikely things to happen around them until they die or are incapacitated. Also considering what Holly said about the Head Doctor's true form he almost certainly isn't the guy we keep seeing. The 89-year old murder man is probably Tooru's (he's the only other one from the research hospital still alive) Stand or something.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
I'm loving this arc, this feels like possibly the craziest stand ever in Jojos. I feel like this arc is going to work really well when its completed and you can read it all at once rather than having to wait a month for new chapters. Also Head Doctor is a stand, but also somehow a real doctor? Tooru has to be the user I wonder if the stand is based on an actual person

overmind2000 posted:

Unless I'm really misreading the way it works the Head Doctor's Stand seems to be a combination of Hanged Man, Bites the Dust, and a lethal attack version of Ticket to Ride. It can jump through objects (glass and screens, it looks like) and attacks multiple people who try to pursue the Head Doctor by causing a series of unlikely things to happen around them until they die or are incapacitated. Also considering what Holly said about the Head Doctor's true form he almost certainly isn't the guy we keep seeing. The 89-year old murder man is probably Tooru's (he's the only other one from the research hospital still alive) Stand or something.

I'm wondering if the trigger for the stand is different for the people its attacking. Josuke's being pursuing, Mitsuba's being seeing the doctors back.

Lt Jon Kavanaugh fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 17, 2020

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

oh my god it's the remix of kira's dad

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Man in the Mirror.....
TWO

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Silver Chariot Requiem imo

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

overmind2000 posted:

That is true. but this chapter Demonstrates again that other people outside the presumed targets (Rai, Gappy, Mitsuba) can be harmed. Previously there was the young kid who got caught in the school gate and the guy in the hospital parking lot that Gappy and the crew encountered. So not only does this thing target anyone looking for the doctor, it can spread misfortune to anyone nearby. It's a japanese grudge as a weaponized stand.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Just burgin

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Let it be known that I loving called that the old man was the stand, not the user. I'm still 100% convinced it's Tooru's stand.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

What if the Head Doctor stand is an automatic stand and the user doesn't know that he's attacking people?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Can't believe that Tooru's Stand is 89 years old.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
At least Norisuke isn’t dead yet :unsmith:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

This 89-Year Old Man is out of control.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Was the stand's name revealed yet? I hope it happens soon.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

BaDandy posted:

Was the stand's name revealed yet? I hope it happens soon.

Nope

I hope it's named after an 89-Year old band.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

If Araki wants to go for maximum irony like with Love Train it'll be called What a Wonderful World

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

I hope it's named after an 89-Year old band.

"No matter where you go, you cannot escape the effect of my Stand,「Cab Calloway And His Orchestra」"

One issue with this revelation is that the Head Doctor apparently does exist as an actual person, unless the power of his Stand also includes giving lectures on new medical treatments.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i thought i'd liked jojolion before but all these shots of the 89 year old man doing flash steps and appearing in reflections are absolutely amazing

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So the stand is visible to normal people as well? Because an entire conference room saw the head doctor unless the Tooru's stand just conveniently took the form of an 89-year old man with a slight limp.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

It just occurred to me that there's a pretty big hole in the Head Doctor being Tooru's Stand theory. Back in chapter 76 the Head Doctor and Wu were at the orchard disguised as ambulance drivers. Unless Tooru projected his Stand to create a disguised illusion that was also driving the ambulance it's pretty unlikely that the Head Doctor is just a Stand.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 17, 2020

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hold on.

Is this basically like Hanged Man, only with fields of observation instead of mirrors?

The stand constantly hangs out where affected people can just barely see it. I would assume that's one of the rules of this stand - it can only move when observed, but concealed. Bad poo poo happens when you try to pursue it, even when just thinking about it, and the stand presumably can pick the most convenient incidents for what it is trying to do: just directly kill someone, or reveal the rokaka. This bad poo poo is amplified to a ridiculous degree.

Now, the problem is that this stand is basically powerless when there's nobody around who tries to pursue him, or even knows about it. No pursuit, no vector to harm people. So our favorite 89-year old man kept showing himself in the distance to goad people into suspecting him, edging closer and closer to the Higashikata estate, which only got easier the more people keep observing him. And once finally inside, he can travel directly in their line of sight, since they're by now directly staring at him, until he reaches his most powerful form:

HAVING A loving SHEET DRAPED OVER HIM SO THAT EVERYONE CAN STILL OBSERVE, BUT NOT IDENTIFY HIM

Jesus christ, what a weird fuckin stand. Extremely slow and convoluted if not on the defense, but paradoxically deadlier the more you try to engage him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Brought To You By posted:

So the stand is visible to normal people as well? Because an entire conference room saw the head doctor unless the Tooru's stand just conveniently took the form of an 89-year old man with a slight limp.

All of those students hate lectures and thus that whole thing was their own CALAMITY