Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have a LOT of poo poo in my office, including a 3500 dollar breathalyzer, so I’d like to pick it up myself so I know it has all the bits and pieces.

Ah that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'm giving everyone ITT a reiki healing massage

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Why would you spend $3500 on a breathalyzer I got one off Amazon for 45 bucks, works great I just breathalyzed myself and I'm only slightly drunk pretty good for me for 1:18 PM.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

shovelbum posted:

Our current restrictions are too loose to have had any measurable effect and they're talking about loosening? Delusional, full Wuhan lockdown until vaccine is the only option

I agree. Literally weld people into their apartments. We will gather the bodies in a month or two.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bird with big dick posted:

Why would you spend $3500 on a breathalyzer I got one off Amazon for 45 bucks, works great I just breathalyzed myself and I'm only slightly drunk pretty good for me for 1:18 PM.

So when someone gets fired for trying to use an angle grinder while drunk I know the results are accurate. This one also has a printer! It’s spiffy.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

bird with big dick posted:

Yeah, I am curious. If you mean an alcohol breath tester I work for a company that makes those and the only models that cost that much are the tabletop evidential units they keep at police stations that have two detection systems to ensure accuracy. Maybe a really high-end portable one but that is the kind that has GPS and a big case and a printer and keyboard and maybe a card reader plugged into it.

Oh, and the cheap one you got off Amazon is probably a semiconducter and will probably last maybe two years. If you got a fuel cell one that was probably a good deal.

Edit: Beaten.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

precision posted:

Green Dot Bank, which is behind Walmart's prepaid money card - has had their app and website and phone number completely down for the past two days:

https://digistatement.com/walmart-moneycard-app-website-down-users-cant-login-have-not-received-stimulus-deposit-checks/

Could be a relatively major shitshow

(And yes, that's how I was supposed to get mine... rip)

If you bounce one too many checks you basically get blackballed by most banks and have to bank w/ Greendot, and if I remember correctly walmart is, or was, pushing for their employees to be paid on those lovely things. Imagine banking with lovely prepaid VISA cards :( Glad to see even in a pandemic we're not done loving the marginalized somehow, christ.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Big Beef City posted:

You want a prize for being right and smarter than a big smarty pants surgeon and "his ombudsman wife" sooner than everyone? For totally one upping that drat boomer (ooooh he had it coming that darn BOOMER)
Now YOU'VE read "something" and oh no?
YOU'RE panicked?

You want a goddamn prize for this poo poo? You're what matters here?

Are you listening to the way you and other people present yourselves when you talk like this?

You don't want "someone to tell you you're wrong". You want someone to acknowledge how right you've been all along and nod in agreement with you now, again, and commiserate with you and it's important now because it's about you.

Nah. Calm the gently caress down and be responsible in your actions so you can best take care of those around you if and when you need to QUIETLY AND WITHOUT MENTIONING IT and educate yourself as best you can without crying and freaking out about poo poo.

Hey, gently caress you.

It’s always been about me, just like it’s always been about you.
This isn’t happening on the other side of the country, the world, it’s happening on your street, it’s happing to you.

I’m tired of people touting age and/or experience as an exception to outside facts.
It pisses me off that the people who are authoritative supposedly are twisted up in bogus propaganda.

I been calm af and I’m not panicking now. I been doing whatever I can to help others.
This is a serious issue that has grave consequences for every individual’s actions.

I been shopping for my grandma, my uncle, I been offering free trips to the store for anybody who wants em, and now that California is hitting peak surge soon, I’m staying indoors. Lucky me I get to do that. They’ve turned the convention center that houses the world famous San Diego Comic-Con into a giant homeless shelter.

I been calling people who are probably isolated, just asking them about their garden. I donated blood, actually at the last reminder, just now, here in this thread, I been eyeing Plinkey’s patrion for the last ten minutes.

I dug up that culture shock stuff too, I been warning people about EARN IT, I told the kids that the world was different before 9/11, that this is like an ongoing 9/11, to prepare for whatever insanity people in charge are going to do next. There’s a 2.2 trillion dollar 0 oversight cash grab going on, with one of the principal architects demanding his name be placed on the paper checks that contain the pittance from it (without means testing, I think it was almost 6k per person if the stimulus was just checks to all citizens), so we all know this money is coming from big daddy Don, not from our own taxes.

You know what, this is one of those situations where people’s bravado gets others hosed. A dose of fear keeps people from ruining all these expensive and extraordinary measures being taken. Just like was stated by someone on this page, we should all act differently depending on the facts, we should take account of all accurate information provided, being informed empowers us to act in a way that could actually save lives.

One of the things that bothers me most, is that it matters exactly zero that I’m right if these Fox News lunatics that I have even tangential concern about dies, or gets other people I like better than them sick. It makes me so mad that a service organization, a tax exempt mutual benefit society that I’ve devoted a third of my life to is doing less to help than the forums I joined for a game, that I’ve been loving around on for a few years.

“Trust me I’m a doctor”

gently caress...

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

TheBuilder posted:

I think there have been some allegations of Chinese money flowing into Swiss bank accounts.

I have also heard stories about weapons of mass destruction.

cwinkle
Mar 7, 2008

meat police posted:

If you bounce one too many checks you basically get blackballed by most banks and have to bank w/ Greendot, and if I remember correctly walmart is, or was, pushing for their employees to be paid on those lovely things. Imagine banking with lovely prepaid VISA cards :( Glad to see even in a pandemic we're not done loving the marginalized somehow, christ.

I used to use green dot to fund my horse racing account. I found out they charge a fee every month even if you aren't using it and don't have any money on it. So when I deposited some cash onto it they immediately took the $15 that had accumulated over the time I had been idle.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Solvent posted:

Hey, gently caress you.

It’s always been about me, just like it’s always been about you.
This isn’t happening on the other side of the country, the world, it’s happening on your street, it’s happing to you.

I’m tired of people touting age and/or experience as an exception to outside facts.
It pisses me off that the people who are authoritative supposedly are twisted up in bogus propaganda.

I been calm af and I’m not panicking now. I been doing whatever I can to help others.
This is a serious issue that has grave consequences for every individual’s actions.

I been shopping for my grandma, my uncle, I been offering free trips to the store for anybody who wants em, and now that California is hitting peak surge soon, I’m staying indoors. Lucky me I get to do that. They’ve turned the convention center that houses the world famous San Diego Comic-Con into a giant homeless shelter.

I been calling people who are probably isolated, just asking them about their garden. I donated blood, actually at the last reminder, just now, here in this thread, I been eyeing Plinkey’s patrion for the last ten minutes.

I dug up that culture shock stuff too, I been warning people about EARN IT, I told the kids that the world was different before 9/11, that this is like an ongoing 9/11, to prepare for whatever insanity people in charge are going to do next. There’s a 2.2 trillion dollar 0 oversight cash grab going on, with one of the principal architects demanding his name be placed on the paper checks that contain the pittance from it (without means testing, I think it was almost 6k per person if the stimulus was just checks to all citizens), so we all know this money is coming from big daddy Don, not from our own taxes.

You know what, this is one of those situations where people’s bravado gets others hosed. A dose of fear keeps people from ruining all these expensive and extraordinary measures being taken. Just like was stated by someone on this page, we should all act differently depending on the facts, we should take account of all accurate information provided, being informed empowers us to act in a way that could actually save lives.

One of the things that bothers me most, is that it matters exactly zero that I’m right if these Fox News lunatics that I have even tangential concern about dies, or gets other people I like better than them sick. It makes me so mad that a service organization, a tax exempt mutual benefit society that I’ve devoted a third of my life to is doing less to help than the forums I joined for a game, that I’ve been loving around on for a few years.

“Trust me I’m a doctor”

gently caress...

OK cool stuff.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

TheBuilder posted:

I think there have been some allegations of Chinese money flowing into Swiss bank accounts.

On Facebook? Link please

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

you guys gotta keep the rants at like one or two sentences max we're all too drunk and stoned for these paragraphs

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Earwicker posted:

is there anyone who isnt stressed right now?

I believe there are a bunch of "recovered" patients in Chile that are no longer stressed :smith:

On another note, thank you all the goons in the thread providing us updates on your infections/recoveries (hopefully) with Covid. It gives us first hand accounts of what people are going through, and makes it more "real". Seriously, I appreciate it.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

So when someone gets fired for trying to use an angle grinder while drunk I know the results are accurate. This one also has a printer! It’s spiffy.

Did you pay it from your own pocket? (genuine question)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Xenocides posted:

Yeah, I am curious. If you mean an alcohol breath tester I work for a company that makes those and the only models that cost that much are the tabletop evidential units they keep at police stations that have two detection systems to ensure accuracy. Maybe a really high-end portable one but that is the kind that has GPS and a big case and a printer and keyboard and maybe a card reader plugged into it.

Oh, and the cheap one you got off Amazon is probably a semiconducter and will probably last maybe two years. If you got a fuel cell one that was probably a good deal.

Edit: Beaten.

There were times where I might have had to do DOT D&A testing so I had to get one from an approved list and I like this one more than the CMI ones that tend to fight me for no reason.

Monday I’m back on the ambulance for 48 hours a week, maybe more depending on how bad coronavirus fucks the schedule. Very glad I’m not doing it somewhere densely populated, I’d end up totally burnt so fast.

Bleusilences posted:

Did you pay it from your own pocket? (genuine question)
Yes, but it’s paid for itself many times over.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PederP posted:

I don't know if you're arguing in favor of herd immunity or not - but the argument you put forth about years of immunity to SARS/MERS is one often used by those wishing for controlled transition to herd immunity. It's wildly unrealistic and downright dangerous. Herd immunity is a concept which belongs in research and epidemiological theory - it should not be part of public policy or even the public discourse. It only helps to increase the amount of idiots who purposefully sabotage the incredibly expensive measures taken by society to keep spread under control.

I wasn't making any argument at all, you illiterate moron. I was making a statement about cold viruses to someone asking about cold viruses.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Il Federale posted:

drat, looks like china is being edgy and trying to incite poo poo

Absolutely incredible post right here.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

Absolutely incredible post right here.

It was well done.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Earwicker posted:

Trump says he thrives in situations like this.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

China wildin' out

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'd seen a lot of different info about this but this study seem pretty definitive

China’s Data on Symptom-Free Cases Shows Most Never Get Sick

quote:

China for the first time publicized a breakdown of people testing positive for the novel coronavirus without outward signs of being sick, revealing that those among them who remain symptom-free throughout infection are in the majority.

Among 6,764 people who tested positive for infection without showing symptoms, only one fifth of them -- 1,297 -- have so far developed symptoms and been re-classified as confirmed cases, China’s National Health Commission spokesman Mi Feng said at a briefing in Beijing Wednesday.

Some 1,023 are still being monitored in medical quarantine to see if they develop symptoms. The rest -- 4,444 -- have been discharged from medical observation after recovering from the virus.

so this is how you reconcile a base R0 of 5.7 with the current death rate, i suppose

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ah yeah I'm familiar with the big industrial looking one that gives you a printout they always make me blow into that kind at the police station.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Z
Nature? What is this nature you speak of?

They meant Natur, it's an app that delivers various animals to your neighborhood

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chomp8645 posted:

It was well done.

Indeed. But cutting off all trade and defaulting on bonds is a monumentally terrible idea.

In corona news, kids seem to be digging the online course now. Gives the flex learning time. And computer!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Everyone PLEASE REMEMBER

The only way to get updates or further information on your government checks is by reading about how other goons have or have not gotten theirs.

Under no circumstances should you attempt to look up any information or outside status updates on these checks or programs.

To all those goons stating that they may or may not have received them, God bless and thank you so much for your ongoing service.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Earwicker posted:

Got a pretty good deal out of this. I'm still working, but in a space with not a lot of people plus I get to enjoy "free" money courtesy of the govt.

Meanwhile I get to use the TV/movie world stopping to my advantage, spending downtime at work setting up what I need to prepare shooting my pilot the second this lockdown is over.

This pandemic may end up becoming the best thing that's happened to me.

Also, human interaction is overrated.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

Everyone PLEASE REMEMBER

The only way to get updates or further information on your government checks is by reading about how other goons have or have not gotten theirs.

Under no circumstances should you attempt to look up any information or outside status updates on these checks or programs.

To all those goons stating that they may or may not have received them, God bless and thank you so much for your ongoing service.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Big Beef City posted:

on the other hand, the resident alien getting money when they shouldn't have is funny and worth posting

it's like pandemic christmas and santa is drunk and handing out cash to random people

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

MasqueradeOverture posted:

Got a pretty good deal out of this. I'm still working, but in a space with not a lot of people plus I get to enjoy "free" money courtesy of the govt.

Meanwhile I get to use the TV/movie world stopping to my advantage, spending downtime at work setting up what I need to prepare shooting my pilot the second this lockdown is over.

This pandemic may end up becoming the best thing that's happened to me.

Also, human interaction is overrated.

Glass is half full!

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Burt Sexual posted:

On Facebook? Link please

I've never heard any real allegations of bribery from a legit news organization, but this was a pretty interesting site I read the other day about the WHO and CCP.

https://www.cfr.org/blog/who-and-china-dereliction-duty

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Burt Sexual posted:

Glass is half full!

Oh, and less traffic at the end of this too!

You know... because everyone's dead.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

coronavirus posted:

I've never heard any real allegations of bribery from a legit news organization, but this was a pretty interesting site I read the other day about the WHO and CCP.

https://www.cfr.org/blog/who-and-china-dereliction-duty

Yeah they have lovely policies, in humane treatment, and are trying to climb the political stage, but that article ha nothing about Swiss bank accounts. I don’t want this thread to become I read this on Facebook so...

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Burt Sexual posted:

Yeah they have lovely policies, in humane treatment, and are trying to climb the political stage, but that article ha nothing about Swiss bank accounts. I don’t want this thread to become I read this on Facebook so...

Also, the WHO is loving based in Switzerland

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
My best friend and his wife just got positive diagnosis, they both work in assisted living so I guess it was inevitable. He says he is tired.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Glumslinger posted:

Lol I’m just gonna let that goon wallow in embarrassment

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mozi posted:

i'd seen a lot of different info about this but this study seem pretty definitive

China’s Data on Symptom-Free Cases Shows Most Never Get Sick

so this is how you reconcile a base R0 of 5.7 with the current death rate, i suppose
I'm not that surprised to hear of this, especially when there was some evidence on the Diamond Princess cruise. A significant number that tested positive never became symptomatic.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

The Glumslinger posted:

Ah, they are definitely known historically to exist without critique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
"The war against the invisible enemy" is such a dumb name. If you had no idea what it was reference to you'd think the whole country had become schizophrenic.