Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

:420::420::420:

If there is a liberal town nearby our southern town has a lot of
mutual aid groups doing grocery runs for people. I hope things go well for you.

Canada’s response has been amazing and I have been reaching out to industry friends there all week looking for job openings next year. I feel like someone doing what people claim people are doing to come here. Feels weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Don't worry guys, they're pushing on a door that opens the other way

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Gologle posted:

There a lot of poor people for whom $1,200 all at once is a big deal, and most of them are dumb and will go into a frenzy chasing short term pleasures instead of being wise about how they spend their cash.

Cigarettes and gaming rigs.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

my coworker is the sort of dude who doesn't read or watch any kind of news at all, told him to check his bank account this morning because the government was giving out free money and he thought I was pranking him until he did it. he's gonna use it to buy "a bunch of cool poo poo" and I'm happy for him

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gologle posted:

I understand the basics of economics as well as any other guy who actually paid attention in their classes back in school. In principle, you are absolutely correct. The problem is human nature. There a lot of poor people for whom $1,200 all at once is a big deal, and most of them are dumb and will go into a frenzy chasing short term pleasures instead of being wise about how they spend their cash. I wouldn't be complaining if my friends spent it on, say, food, bills, other necessities. But these motherfuckers don't even finish most of the games they do buy, they just like having a massive backlog they will never get around to because ???

People always say this but every study of windfalls shows them going towards debt first

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If they do I would genuinely be nothing but happy for them. But the pessimist in me says they won't.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'll spend at least some of it because I'm in a good place financially. Thinking bout a new gaming PC. This one is four years old or so, and I'm not sure I can live in a post-corona world if I'm relegated to playing Bannerlord on Oblivion graphics!

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

If all you need to log into the stimulus check tracker to update your banking info is your ssn and birth date, won’t the equifax breach (and all the others) just let scammers log in and have thousands of direct deposits?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

If all you need to log into the stimulus check tracker to update your banking info is your ssn and birth date, won’t the equifax breach (and all the others) just let scammers log in and have thousands of direct deposits?

I'm pretty sure you need info from your most recent tax return as well

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This photo is amazing
https://twitter.com/DispatchAlerts/status/1250022758555308034

Same in Ohio. There's 700 reported cases of COVID-19 in long care facilities but they're not disclosing the number of deaths:
https://www.dispatch.com/news/20200...ed?rssfeed=true

My dad is a chaplain in several nursing homes, most of which are on lockdown, and he knows lots of people in the sector across Canada.

The scenario of "suddenly 17 old people died and 47 are now sick" is happening everywhere...cluster cases being reported on are way more common than what we're seeing (and this is in Canada, with arguably better senior care than the US). The media is also way more interested in outliers like "23 year old WITH NO HEATHL ISSUE DIED OMG" so it feels like nursing home clusters are tragic, isolated cases. Most of the folks my dad deals with (a sample of several hundred so likely a fair representation) do not have family or people that visit, and they are incapable of expressing DNR or do not intubate.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

This photo is amazing
https://twitter.com/DispatchAlerts/status/1250022758555308034

Same in Ohio. There's 700 reported cases of COVID-19 in long care facilities but they're not disclosing the number of deaths:
https://www.dispatch.com/news/20200...ed?rssfeed=true

I bet there’s a lot of spittle on that window

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3

pop punk posted:

If there is a liberal town nearby our southern town has a lot of
mutual aid groups doing grocery runs for people. I hope things go well for you.

Canada’s response has been amazing and I have been reaching out to industry friends there all week looking for job openings next year. I feel like someone doing what people claim people are doing to come here. Feels weird.

thanks for the tip and well wishes!

i hope something comes through for you. sister and i have been talking about her sponsoring my immigration (chain immigration, ftw?), but obviously that's gonna be put on the back burner for now. yeah, it's a weird feeling, for sure.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lol the dude with the Guy Faux mask.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Salty Josh posted:

I know the feeling. My fiances kid is just like that. He is the worst kid I have ever met in my life.

I would prefer third world warlord kids over him.

Good job lashing yourself to that boat anchor. I'm sure that marriage is going to go really, really well for you.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Salty Josh posted:

I know the feeling. My fiances kid is just like that. He is the worst kid I have ever met in my life.

I would prefer third world warlord kids over him.

lol tell us more

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

meat police posted:

Honestly I'm not going to be happy until some teen wearing a VR headset and suffering from ennui domes me with one of those boston dynamic dogs. Let's get this started.

:hmmyes:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

d0s posted:

weird it looked like a music video to me

Don't be dense all generations do dumb poo poo pretending like you "don't understand" because of your age is boring.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

Don't be dense all generations do dumb poo poo pretending like you "don't understand" because of your age is boring.

is that you in the video

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Gologle posted:

If they do I would genuinely be nothing but happy for them. But the pessimist in me says they won't.

on the one hand, research and studies about human behavior and economics, but on the other, your gut feeling about those poors

hmmm real tough one

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burt Sexual posted:

I bet there’s a lot of spittle on that window

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Lol the dude with the Guy Faux mask.
I love the guy in the first photo here with the Guy Fawkes facepaint and the misspelled sign.
https://twitter.com/joshuabickel/status/1248315789381447681

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

honestly watching all your base again after at least a decade was soothing

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

VikingSkull posted:

I'm pretty sure you need info from your most recent tax return as well

Oh ok. Not that I was thinking of doing it or anything, so I'm glad there is at something moderately confidential that needs to be verified before someone routes a couple extra hundred payments into their account.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

lol the third one is misspelled as well. now I'm imagining Tony the Tiger saying it

"It's tyrrrrrrrany!"

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

doctorthefonz posted:

honestly watching all your base again after at least a decade was soothing

lol if it's not your ringtone and desktop wallpaper

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
They have to be misspelling on purpose right? Like they think they're "owning" people by doing it or some poo poo?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I love the guy in the first photo here with the Guy Fawkes facepaint and the misspelled sign.
https://twitter.com/joshuabickel/status/1248315789381447681

I hate being alive.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I can’t imagine caring how my friends are spending their Trump bucks

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Just wanted to circle back around to Trump's tweet about "HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE & AZITHROMYCIN" being "game changers" in the fight against Covid-19.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1241367239900778501?s=20

In 1918, during the outbreak of the "Spanish" flu, Bayer's patent on aspirin had recently expired so a bunch of companies were pushing their new generic formulae. Both the Surgeon General of the U.S. Army and the Journal of the American Medical Association recommended between 8-31 grams of aspirin per day for flu treatment. At the time, symptoms of aspirin poisoning were not well known, but now it is considered that such a dose of aspirin causes hyperventilation in 1/3 of all cases and puts fluid in your lungs 3% of the time.

Here's one of the primary papers on this, but there are a bunch of other sources
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091002132346.htm

It's been over 100 years, and yet history is still repeating itself because of those who did not learn from it.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Hot top for any goons that don't want to pay the trump bux back: If you chat "IR-WIN IR-WIN" over and over at the tax man when they come to collect, they get angry and leave you alone. This might also work over the phone or email.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

I think Chinese number is higher than reported, but I also think thats true pretty much everywhere

Here is a recent story that kind of gets to that point
https://twitter.com/cliffordlevy/status/1250582901500055558

Shitloads of people dying in lovely nursing homes, with lots of them not being tested before death

This story might be a bit too much if bodily functions or you’re not used to how cruel the U.S. health care system can be:
Last year, both of my parents agreed to go in a Nursing Home after two years of my sister and I begging my bedridden dad to go into Temporary Care and he refused, even though my early stages dementia mother and I couldn’t help him enough so that he wasn’t living with sores and swelling in his own poo poo and piss. Because he did not have dementia himself, he was considered competent enough to make his own decisions.
After social services was called twice, he finally agreed to go into care if he could go in with my mother.
In this state, if you need to live in assisted care at a mild or moderate level(like my mom) you receive no state aid, even if you are under the poverty level. Also, the majority of nursing homes are either moderate care or 24 hour care, and spouses are expected to be separated if they need different levels of care. The only facility in a 100-mile radius that would take both of my parents at once was one we had reservations about, a questionable one in a smallish county that always seemed kind of dysfunctional when it came to health/education/social services.
I can’t remember what fell through, all the paperwork along with my parents’ illnesses kind of make that time a blur. But that nursing home fell, through, and as we were begging them to go into separate nursing homes, a room opened up in the town my sister lived in, one that would take my dad permanently, and my mom for two months. Because of state laws on aid, they had to pay $1000 for ambulance transportation, because the closest nursing home that would have taken my father was the questionable one.
The nursing home is a generally well run place with good staff. The complaints I have are mild. When my mother’s dementia got worse, they cleared her for permanent stay. When it was clear that Coronavirus was going to be a pandemic, they very politely and kindly stopped visitors from coming, I think the Friday after the NBA was closed. I’ve talked to the administrator personally, and I feel that they’re doing as good as a job as they can, and are being as safe and realistic as possible. I feel like if Coronavirus gets in, it’ll have just been like a fate thing, not a negligence thing.
This Monday, it hit the regional news that the nursing home they had almost gone to, the one the state wouldn’t have charged them extra to get transportation to, got Coronavirus inside and it was killing patients. :stonklol:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

d0s posted:

is that you in the video

It's fine we all get it you're just too old to understand the entirely hip new idea of "silly thing". Also no, I tend to avoid things that require any amount of effort.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

It's fine we all get it you're just too old to understand the entirely hip new idea of "silly thing". Also no, I tend to avoid things that require any amount of effort.

I don't understand the youth

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gologle posted:

I hate people. There is a bunch of people I know getting their trumpbux who are already planning to waste it on entirely stupid poo poo instead of saving it for the inevitable rainy day that is going to come down sooner rather than later, and may in fact already be here. One of my friends was just bragging to me a few hours ago about how he was getting a PS4 Pro with his money on Craigslist and spending most of the rest on other frivolous crap. I feel like I'm the only person in my friend's group who is even aware of the concept of saving.

I bet you anything there are way more of these morons out there as well, wastefully spending what they should try to conserve.

and your point is..?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

and your point is..?

It's Avocado toast, all the way down

naem
May 29, 2011

that certainly is a cross section of Ohio right there

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm gonna use my Trump Bucks to invest :smuggo:

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
I'm not gonna lie, I am gonna buy some stupid poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I am so glad that we went from Americans posting whether they got their trump bux to how the are gonna spend it!! This is fascinating stuff people! Are you gonna waste it? Save it? Invest it? Please share it with us thank u and God bless.