Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Topping peppers y/n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

mischief posted:

Be careful what you wish for with basil. It can be shockingly successful and there's only so much room for frozen pesto in anyone's freezer. We had a Genovese Basil that turned into a loving shrub about a decade ago and we still have some of it frozen. That's a monster of a plant. Potting mix won't hurt it's feelings.

On the flip side I've never been able to run out of basil and last year we had over 20 plants with regular harvesting. I'm probably going to push for at least 25 this year. I freeze some pesto in silicon ice trays but eat most fresh

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

On the flip side I've never been able to run out of basil and last year we had over 20 plants with regular harvesting. I'm probably going to push for at least 25 this year. I freeze some pesto in silicon ice trays but eat most fresh

Hell yeah, and having more basil than you know what to do with is way better than wishing that you had planted more basil weeks before.

Also, you can transplant those living basil plants that you find in the produce section at many grocery stores. It's not as good as heirloom from seed, but some basil is better than no basil. And if anybody ever has too much basil and tomatoes, just make a caprese salad or panzanella, ya dingus! For your health!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Jhet posted:

No hot pepper thread that I know of, and there’s a few of us in this one that grow hot and super hots.

One thing I will say is that if you take care of your pepper plant it can live for years. For 120 day peppers, it’s usually recommended to start in about January or February so they have time to get large enough to go out in April or May. Regular potting soil is fine for peppers, but a lot of people will add Blood Meal to the bottom of the hole when they transplant.

What did you get in your variety pack? I’ll be starting very late and probably just leave my superhots inside like house plants this year. But they’ll go outside next spring.

What kind of light setup do you have for the indoor growth? I have a window that may get enough sun but I'd like to supplement that.

Got a mix of 25+ varieties from Pepperjungle530 on etsy. The ones I want to try first are aji lemon, yellow monkey face, bulgarian carrot, carbonero, aji habanero, peach ghost scorpion.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Speaking of basil.

I planted 2 African Purple Basil plants in big flower pots last year as an ornamental and they were great. Huge plant with vibrant purple flowers that bees LOVED. Highly recommended if you can find it.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Did you plant those specifically for the bees? Ive never thought of doing that with basil. Generally you dont let basil flower but the bees did like the plants that I did let go. My mason bee houses are killing it this year which makes me happy!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Topping peppers y/n

What peppers? But yes if you want them to grow bushy.

goodness posted:

What kind of light setup do you have for the indoor growth? I have a window that may get enough sun but I'd like to supplement that.

Got a mix of 25+ varieties from Pepperjungle530 on etsy. The ones I want to try first are aji lemon, yellow monkey face, bulgarian carrot, carbonero, aji habanero, peach ghost scorpion.

I just use t5 LEDs from the hardware store. I just need something that skews to the blue end of the spectrum for starting the seedlings off, not something that will support them through fruiting. They put off about 400-500 ish lux where I need them, so it's enough for starting the plants. I'm going to see if I can get some aji charapita started late, but I don't hold hope for getting fruit until next year on them. Then hopefully next summer I can be the guy who has too many pepper plants in his yard again.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Jhet posted:

I just use t5 LEDs from the hardware store. I just need something that skews to the blue end of the spectrum for starting the seedlings off, not something that will support them through fruiting. They put off about 400-500 ish lux where I need them, so it's enough for starting the plants. I'm going to see if I can get some aji charapita started late, but I don't hold hope for getting fruit until next year on them. Then hopefully next summer I can be the guy who has too many pepper plants in his yard again.

I'm going all out on aji charapita this year, it's pretty much the only pepper I'm going for. I had a lot of aji peppers in Peru a long time ago and I've been chasin them ever since, buena suerte

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Some of my lettuce are getting this odd discoloration that makes the leaves all speckled white. Is this caused by bugs or something else like too much sun/heat?
I tried to get a picture of it but my phone wasn't cooperating.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Did you plant those specifically for the bees? Ive never thought of doing that with basil. Generally you dont let basil flower but the bees did like the plants that I did let go. My mason bee houses are killing it this year which makes me happy!

We didnt initially. We just liked how they looked and picked some up at a plant sale. Will definitely be growing again this year. There would be upwards of 20-30 bees constantly floating around the plants. It was awesome.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jhet posted:

Habaneros, trinidad scorpions, and carolina reapers. I just want them to give me lots of fruit.

Also I went and did some digging around my various sheds and I think I have enough suitable scrap lumber to build a Spanish weave frame for my tomatoes - I have four 12-foot 1*4s for horizontal beams and a handful of 2*4s which can be vertical, and enough shorter pieces to create bases.

I just need to find the right twine now. I have so many different kinds of string around already but I guess the UV resistance + not water retaining has to be a thing. Mind you I'm still 6 weeks from putting them into the ground, but quarrantine stir craziness is a hell of a drug.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

net work error posted:

Some of my lettuce are getting this odd discoloration that makes the leaves all speckled white. Is this caused by bugs or something else like too much sun/heat?

Looks like something munching its way across the surface of the leaf and leaving feeding trails. Thrips perhaps?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Habaneros, trinidad scorpions, and carolina reapers. I just want them to give me lots of fruit.

If you're moving them outside, then don't overthink the lighting too much. Just make sure there's a full spectrum light above them so they get a bunch and are growing taller and not getting leggy. If they start getting leggy, lower the light.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

net work error posted:

Hexigrammus is probably right, and I'm not familiar with lettuce pests, but it could be aphids or leaf miners too. They all suck the juice out of the leaf and leave them looking sort of sad like that. The fact that the damage is sort of in 'trails' makes me think leaf miners. Might also just be sunburn?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Looking for lights on craigslist, this seems like a really good deal. 1000w HPS with a ballast for $50. 1 or two of these would be enough to grow my plants overwinter.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

goodness posted:

Looking for lights on craigslist, this seems like a really good deal. 1000w HPS with a ballast for $50. 1 or two of these would be enough to grow my plants overwinter.

That light is probably cheap because a weed grower upgraded to an LED setup, and it's wayyyyyy more light that you need. You're going to need a squirrel cage fan and ducting to keep it from overheating, replacement bulbs aren't cheap, and they suck up electricity. If you're looking to overwinter, you can probably get by just fine with a shoplight and full spectrum LED tubes instead of fluorescent tubes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jhet posted:

If you're moving them outside, then don't overthink the lighting too much. Just make sure there's a full spectrum light above them so they get a bunch and are growing taller and not getting leggy. If they start getting leggy, lower the light.

Well right now they're living next to a window with a light above them to give them a bit more growing time per day in ye olde northern climes. They're not leggy at all. Is that really the only reason to top them?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Well right now they're living next to a window with a light above them to give them a bit more growing time per day in ye olde northern climes. They're not leggy at all. Is that really the only reason to top them?

Topping them will encourage them to be bushier plants. Just snip off the top 1" or 2" leaving enough leaves below so that it can still grow. I cut right above a leaf pair. You don't top because they're getting leggy, that you need to change the conditions to encourage more deliberate growth.

If they're next to a window, then just a generic LED shop light will be more than plenty. You don't need to worry about more light than that unless you're looking to have the entire growth cycle indoors and that part can get expensive like that 1000w ballast above here. You don't need that unless you're running a grow room for your peppers (or other flowering plants... like tomatoes). Even those are getting replaced by LED tech that puts off less heat and uses less electricity.

This light here is going to probably be good enough for 90%+ of the people who are asking about starting seeds and plants indoors. Find a version of this that fits your space. It won't support year round for anything but some leafy greens, but it does great for starting plants. Cheap and easy is fine in this case. Can you go expensive and complicated, sure, but you definitely don't need to do that.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
That reminds me - are these waterproof/outdoor LED grow lights out there? I’d love to throw something in my hotbed to take it to the next stage.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I did some grafts this year that are of particular interest to me.

I took scions from the last two trees of an abandoned apple orchard.

These trees are over a century old and the forest has grown up around them for most of that time, slowly starving the trees of sunlight. One was lost in the last ten years, a couple more in the ten before that. There were once dozens.

Time is running out for these last two. Each spring, fewer and fewer leaves return.

I don’t know what variety they are. There is some tiny chance that one or both is a variety previously believed to be lost. There are thousands of such varieties, extant only on paper and in memory. More likely, they are an heirloom variety still grown on a small scale today. A local who had had fruit from the trees years before could tell me that they were not cider apples or any variety common today but could not recall their taste more specifically than “quite good”.

Out of four scions taken from one tree, one graft took.

The other was four for four.

I dare not unwrap the parafilm on that precious branch, but if I did, the healed union would look something like this:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 18, 2020

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Platystemon posted:

These trees are over a century old and the forest has grown up around them for most of that time, slowly starving the trees of sunlight. One was lost in the last ten years, a couple more in the ten before that. There were once dozens.

Time is running out for these last two. Each spring, fewer and fewer leaves return.

I don’t know what variety they are. There is some tiny chance that one or both is a variety previously believed to be lost. There are thousands of such varieties, extant only on paper and in memory. More likely, they are an heirloom variety still grown on a small scale today. A local who had had fruit from the trees years before could tell me that they were not cider apples or any variety common today but could not recall their taste more specifically than “quite good”.

Out of four scions taken from one tree, one graft took.

The other was four for four.

I dare not unwrap the parafilm on that precious branch, but if I did, the healed union would look something like this:

Amazing

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Love this. If you eventually get fruit from them, will you try to start some fully natural trees?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

This is so loving badass.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

That light is probably cheap because a weed grower upgraded to an LED setup, and it's wayyyyyy more light that you need. You're going to need a squirrel cage fan and ducting to keep it from overheating, replacement bulbs aren't cheap, and they suck up electricity. If you're looking to overwinter, you can probably get by just fine with a shoplight and full spectrum LED tubes instead of fluorescent tubes.

This is true and why my HPS got parted out and sent to recycling.

Jhet posted:

This light here is going to probably be good enough for 90%+ of the people who are asking about starting seeds and plants indoors.

Holy crap, that price! :stare: Wish I could get them for the equivalent $:canada: and quit futzing with fluorescents.

Solkanar512 posted:

That reminds me - are these waterproof/outdoor LED grow lights out there? I’d love to throw something in my hotbed to take it to the next stage.

Try aquarium lighting suppliers. 5 cm above a bubbling tank of salt water is a pretty severe environment. Downside is that anything sold through aquarium shops is usually $$$. eBay and online shops can be more reasonable especially for parts.

When I re-wired my main growlight bank I used waterproof endcaps to connect the fluorescent tubes to the ballasts.

Platystemon posted:

... snip...

That is so cool. Unfortunately my grafting success is the same as my success starting hardwood cuttings. I'll use that as inspiration to keep trying and maybe eventually something will live.

There's a collection of rare/heirloom apples on one of the Gulf Islands here. The woman who caretakes it now has an amazing ability to identify old varieties. (otoh, who can say if she's wrong :)) I finally got my act together and bought a couple of trees from her two years ago. Hopefully we'll see some fruit soon. Apparently the Kingston Black is in high demand now with the interest in craft cider brewing. Never actually tasted one but the description sounded good.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Nosre posted:

Love this. If you eventually get fruit from them, will you try to start some fully natural trees?

Apples are really odd in that every seed is essentially a random re-roll of taste with a heavy inclination toward "completely inedible".

Grafts are the only reliable way to get a good tasting apple, and every single tree of any variety is a graft that traces its lines back to one tree in a field of cider apples somewhere that turned out to be OK.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Jhet posted:

This light here is going to probably be good enough for 90%+ of the people who are asking about starting seeds and plants indoors. Find a version of this that fits your space. It won't support year round for anything but some leafy greens, but it does great for starting plants. Cheap and easy is fine in this case. Can you go expensive and complicated, sure, but you definitely don't need to do that.

loving hell I wish I could get something like that here in Norway.
Or atleast something similarly cheap. I paid that same sum for a single cheap lamp from ikea with a ~1300 lumen bulb. ( Tertial + the strongest bulb I could find for a 13W lamp. )
Though I'm not a huge fan of all these LED lamps where the lights are integrated, and you just have to junk the entire thing when it expires.

Though it did tip me off that 'light-tubes'/fluorescents that use leds are a very interesting option. Apparently a relatively cheap intended-for-work-lamp could easily be used for a nice little indoor growing area.
I honestly hadn't considered them up until now, but they give even light over a pretty large area, and I see the larger ones ( 120cm ~4feetish? ) seem to easily dunk out almost 8000 lumen. (2x3900lm T5 Led bulbs / 2x26W.)
1 or 2 of those mounted side by side over a growing area, maybe attached to a plate that can be raised and lowered seems like it would be a pretty cost efficient way of lighting a growing area.

Especially since 1 lamp with 2 bulbs seems to be around the same price as a single LED-strip hydroponic light, where you'd have to get a new one once the bulbs go, instead of just replacing the bulbs.
(Also way higher output, 7800 lumen from a ~60$(in norway) lampmount + 2 bulbs seems very price efficent, considering a 1300lm ikea lamp ends up costing around a quarter that in comparison.)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

SubNat posted:

loving hell I wish I could get something like that here in Norway.
Or atleast something similarly cheap. I paid that same sum for a single cheap lamp from ikea with a ~1300 lumen bulb. ( Tertial + the strongest bulb I could find for a 13W lamp. )
Though I'm not a huge fan of all these LED lamps where the lights are integrated, and you just have to junk the entire thing when it expires.

Though it did tip me off that 'light-tubes'/fluorescents that use leds are a very interesting option. Apparently a relatively cheap intended-for-work-lamp could easily be used for a nice little indoor growing area.
I honestly hadn't considered them up until now, but they give even light over a pretty large area, and I see the larger ones ( 120cm ~4feetish? ) seem to easily dunk out almost 8000 lumen. (2x3900lm T5 Led bulbs / 2x26W.)
1 or 2 of those mounted side by side over a growing area, maybe attached to a plate that can be raised and lowered seems like it would be a pretty cost efficient way of lighting a growing area.

Especially since 1 lamp with 2 bulbs seems to be around the same price as a single LED-strip hydroponic light, where you'd have to get a new one once the bulbs go, instead of just replacing the bulbs.
(Also way higher output, 7800 lumen from a ~60$(in norway) lampmount + 2 bulbs seems very price efficent, considering a 1300lm ikea lamp ends up costing around a quarter that in comparison.)

Absolutely all of that. I don’t care for having to junk the whole thing either, but for people just getting into the hobby, this will last for 10+ years because of how little it gets used most of the year. Those lamps are also on rebate by me from the electrical company constantly, so that helps with the price.

The advanced option is of course getting the t5 LED replaceable versions, but not everyone will be able to wire things and that lamp plugs right in. The more advanced option will also give you the option for more light and for switching the spectrum from bluer to redder for fruiting too. I didn’t have the option of wiring something permanent this time either, but when I do I plan on going with a double ballast LED for just that reason.

There are even more advance options where you literally build your own lights from individual leds, but that is very far out of my wheelhouse as it requires understanding of electricity that I just don’t have. Hydroponic growers can get really intense about their lights.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I ended up with these LED strips. Comes with 6 so I can have 2-3 per shelf.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Hexigrammus is probably right, and I'm not familiar with lettuce pests, but it could be aphids or leaf miners too. They all suck the juice out of the leaf and leave them looking sort of sad like that. The fact that the damage is sort of in 'trails' makes me think leaf miners. Might also just be sunburn?

I eventually caught them all in the act and it was definitely pests. I don't think they were aphids but they were small and white little bugs. I went ahead and bought some neem oil and another veggie pest spray and will be ordering food grade diatomaceous earth. Anything else I should consider for pests?
I'm thinking of getting some shade netting to put over them once I hopefully get a handle on them.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I've never had the patience for neem oil to work. Spinosad is quite effective and still organic, it's just become really expensive in the last few years.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I've got a cat pooping in my radish patch. They've torn about a quarter of it up . I'm gonna clean it out and try some of the internet's remedies (citronella oil, red pepper, rosemary, etc) but is cat poop in the bed harmful to the plants/safe to eat? Assuming I wash everything well before eating, it should be fine, right?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cats are full of parasites that can infect humans. Even "good" garden poop should be composted first.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've got a cat pooping in my radish patch. They've torn about a quarter of it up . I'm gonna clean it out and try some of the internet's remedies (citronella oil, red pepper, rosemary, etc) but is cat poop in the bed harmful to the plants/safe to eat? Assuming I wash everything well before eating, it should be fine, right?

Toss the radishes, eat the cat.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So an update on the tomatoes. I’ve got new suckers on all of them!

I had to dig them up slightly to expose them on Saturday but they all had them! Also I’m seeing some really fast growth so I’m hoping that exposing them to the sun will speed things up.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Does it make a difference if the radishes just sprouted this week and it’ll be a few weeks before I eat them?

Im no fan of outside cats and trapping the cat is the plan, but the city animal shelter/control is closed to the public right now, so I’ll trick with the internet ‘one weird trick’ approach for the moment.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's not really as simple as the cat poo poo getting on the vegetables. The parasites actually live in / colonize the soil and can persist for years. I'm not sure what I would do if they were my radishes.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Does it make a difference if the radishes just sprouted this week and it’ll be a few weeks before I eat them?

Im no fan of outside cats and trapping the cat is the plan, but the city animal shelter/control is closed to the public right now, so I’ll trick with the internet ‘one weird trick’ approach for the moment.

Itll be fine, my cat has done it ocassionally over the years. No big deal. Warn your neighbors first incase they arent responsible enough to put a collar on their cat

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
Year-on progress report. A year ago I posted about reclaiming the bit of my garden that had been used for dumping the old house roof I took off when I added a second storey to my house. It was not pretty:

Much clearing and burning followed.

This spring, I suddenly found myself working remotely five days a week for some reason. Without four hours of commuting every day, I bought half a ton of eco-treated railway sleepers, 140 metres of treated, C16, 2x2 timber and some topsoil from wickes that was on offer.

Thank-you, Festool:

Taproots everywhere:

Six beds assembled, mainly topped-off with older compost I made a while ago when there were horses in the field north of the house:

It looks pretty good stuff now and has about half a dozen worms in every shovelful:

The view this evening, with whatever seeds I could get hold of planted: turns out everyone with a garden has the same idea for some reason. Wild.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
drat that looks good. great work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Outstanding! In retrospect I still wish I had gone raised bed for my first garden.