Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Sure, there's certainly reasons to hold off on upgrading to a brand new platform, it just seems like if you're not someone to upgrade vSphere really frequently (5.5 is from 2013), you may as well wait a little longer and go to the most current release.

'2013, whats wrong with that. It's not like it's from 2006'

'oh'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Eh? If you upgrade this infrequently, why are you not giving it a month or two to make sure there's no huge bugs and upgrading to vSphere 7? Seems a little silly to "upgrade" to a two year old platform.

If it were my call to make, we would be. I have been BEGGING to upgrade for at least 4 years.
I think my boss is just terrified of moving to a linux virtual appliance for no good reason.

We were forced into upgrading (thankfully) because we couldn't receive support on 5.5 and we are doing a whole bunch of poo poo that required support.
I think what finally broke my boss into upgrading was that he purchased like 16 new mezzanine adapters for the chassis' and they won't work on 5.5.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
A friend of mine wanted to try jamming over the internet using JamKazam so I set it up ahead of time, but I ran into a problem where the JamKazam app wouldn’t detect their network test servers.

So I started futzing with my network, and tried and failed to get it working through three different firewalls (thank goodness for VLANs). It turned out to be that JamKazam has shut down all the test servers because they kept breaking...

But I ended up with a neat little pFSense firewall all configured in my lab environment and it wouldn’t take much to make it my primary firewall and send all my two dozen IPSec tunnels to it instead of my NSA4500.

The problem is that my VMware environment has dedicated storage and clusters and 10g fiber switches whereas my NSA is a simple device that I can power up independently of everything else.

So hmmm... keep the NSA4500 or go with a virtual pFSense VM?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Agrikk posted:

A friend of mine wanted to try jamming over the internet using JamKazam so I set it up ahead of time, but I ran into a problem where the JamKazam app wouldn’t detect their network test servers.

So I started futzing with my network, and tried and failed to get it working through three different firewalls (thank goodness for VLANs). It turned out to be that JamKazam has shut down all the test servers because they kept breaking...

But I ended up with a neat little pFSense firewall all configured in my lab environment and it wouldn’t take much to make it my primary firewall and send all my two dozen IPSec tunnels to it instead of my NSA4500.

The problem is that my VMware environment has dedicated storage and clusters and 10g fiber switches whereas my NSA is a simple device that I can power up independently of everything else.

So hmmm... keep the NSA4500 or go with a virtual pFSense VM?

Keep the NSA for general routing, use the pfSense VM for your VM cluster's internal poo poo?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Shove the NSA4500 on eBay and see if you can buy a nice Netgate appliance with the proceeds

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

SlowBloke posted:

Question is genuine and your idea/answer is wrong. Digital signatures services require a list of public CA (for instance all european EIDAS CA can be found here https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/tl-browser/#/ ) and in order to successfully verify any sign you need to add the signature provider CA to adobe(and/or windows). No need for "Adobe CA"

EDIT: forgot to say that if you need to check the provider of the digital signature, on acrobat you can do so by clicking the signature(if it's a graphical object in the pdf) or on the signature bar at the top of the doc(if it's on the file)
I neglected to impart a crucial piece of info in my op; someone had the bright idea to use OUR internal certificate authority to save money.
But after having a meeting about it, it is not as bad as I originally suspected. We aren't trying to become a CA, and she will do the leg work of reaching out to providers on the AATL. Initial discussions seemed to indicate that we would use our existing CA for this instead of paying for certificates, but that wouldn't even solve the problem she encounters unless we become a trusted provider ourselves which is a laughable idea.

But my biggest gripe with implementing is still a problem; supporting 200 people across like 6 different versions of adobe on how to create and use verified esignatures. Also, what about people using other PDF products? I don't even know how well those integrate. Adobe creates .fdf files that as far as I know are only supported by Adobe and Foxit, not Javelin, Nitro, Bluebeam... etc, which we also use. AFAIK there's just no good solution to that except "just make everyone use Adobe."

The reason I want to tell them all to gently caress off is that there's really no reason for any of this. It's because people are being lazy and not entering their own invoices into our ERP themselves, like they're supposed to. Instead they're just signing PDF's and forwarding them to finance to figure it all out.
I feel like it would actually be a lot easier and more efficient to just force each department to maintain their own budgets and handle their own invoices, then remaining complacent and forcing one department to do their jobs for them and dragging ITS down along the way. This is not an IT problem. This is a laziness problem.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is not an IT problem. This is a laziness problem.

At least most of these problems at my job have been shoveled into the backburner pit, because now we have Real poo poo to Worry About. Like how to get computers to users. And how to unfuck the VPN client patching just hosed up.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

At least most of these problems at my job have been shoveled into the backburner pit, because now we have Real poo poo to Worry About. Like how to get computers to users. And how to unfuck the VPN client patching just hosed up.

Same, and everyone seems to get that lately. Which is why it is so odd that this request cam in at all, let alone with such a short deadline "because it should be easy."
I mean ffs we are right in the middle of a crisis just trying to keep up with and figure out what seem to be daily changes to WFH policy and practices let alone all the major infrastructure work that is being done.

Digital signatures have probably been an issue for you for how many years? How the gently caress could you be so bored as to FINALLY decide that now is an appropriate time to start a new project?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Same, and everyone seems to get that lately. Which is why it is so odd that this request cam in at all, let alone with such a short deadline "because it should be easy."
I mean ffs we are right in the middle of a crisis just trying to keep up with and figure out what seem to be daily changes to WFH policy and practices let alone all the major infrastructure work that is being done.

Digital signatures have probably been an issue for you for how many years? How the gently caress could you be so bored as to FINALLY decide that now is an appropriate time to start a new project?

Wait, they thought certificates were going to be easy? :psyduck: We've been working on that for YEARS now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Wait, they thought certificates were going to be easy? :psyduck: We've been working on that for YEARS now.
Yeah they thought it would just take a few minutes to set up "a database."
That's why I just pointed them to Adobe's cert program and told them to gently caress off. If they want to pay $30/user then fine, I guess.
But also we are on a budget freeze so that is never going to happen.

I'm not getting rope-a-dope'd into some bullshit non-problem with all the other poo poo I have going on.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

nominal posted:

My boss: Oh, it's DEFINITELY going to eat up a lot of time. They're going to be stuck with that loaner PC for AGES waiting for it to get shipped out, looked at, and then finally come back. We might even sit on it for a while after that. Then, we're going to nail that user's rear end to the wall. :black101:

I had no idea he was that petty, and I love it.

That's not petty, to me. That's fighting basic sociopathic, unprofessional behavior
If a user hosed up, I'm much more likely to cut them some slack. You lie to me, and you're now my absolute lowest priority. Mistakes and accidents happen, and I can forgive that - bullshitting me is a (bad) deliberate choice. We will likely find out what you did, and the repair vendor definitely will.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I was SO happy to have someone else be responsible for SSL at my current job. The number of times that I had to track down approvals for hosted sites (because sales argued it was a value add for us to do SSL for everything including discounted Windows Shared Hosting) when I worked at the ISP is probably in the hundreds if not over a thousand.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I like SSL and certs. It’s all PKI at heart and people look at you like you’re a loving wizard

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I just got a ticket for a user that "can't remember their phone PIN" after we sent out a message requiring Duo 2FA beginning tomorrow.

I looked up the device and this phone has literally NEVER been used for anything since it was deployed. 0 minutes, 0 data, email is not enrolled, it's not in Airwatch, his Google account has never been signed into.
So glad we've been paying for that phone for 3 years.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

An email came in from a user complaining that he can't get an internet connection on his "personal music device" and asking if we know why that is.

He also knows "that normally [his] internet service gets its connection via one of the office machines in [his] area."

Sorry, user, we can't help you connect a personal device to the department network. Also, the gently caress?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

dragonshardz posted:

An email came in from a user complaining that he can't get an internet connection on his "personal music device" and asking if we know why that is.

He also knows "that normally [his] internet service gets its connection via one of the office machines in [his] area."

Sorry, user, we can't help you connect a personal device to the department network. Also, the gently caress?

I had one today with a user complaining how our VPN prevents him from browsing a hardware store website, and that we should correct it so that he doesn't need to disconnect the VPN to shop for his patio repairs.

I was this close to remotely loving with his hosts file to make it even more difficult for him.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Attestant posted:

I had one today with a user complaining how our VPN prevents him from browsing a hardware store website, and that we should correct it so that he doesn't need to disconnect the VPN to shop for his patio repairs.

I was this close to remotely loving with his hosts file to make it even more difficult for him.

This, but, “Why won’t my wifi printer work when I’m on VPN?”

Do not ask me about such things as split tunneling or whatever. I don’t care. Not my department.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

This, but, “Why won’t my wifi printer work when I’m on VPN?”

It’ll work if you do spl-

quote:

Do not ask me about such things as split tunneling or whatever. I don’t care. Not my department.

Lol

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Even with split tunneling, if your wifi printer is 192.168.0.100 and your company's DC is also 192.168.0.100, printing won't work until you disconnect from VPN.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Even with split tunneling, if your wifi printer is 192.168.0.100 and your company's DC is also 192.168.0.100, printing won't work until you disconnect from VPN.

When I did small business consulting I got to redo a company’s internal network just for this reason.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, there is a handful of users in this boat. Our company line is if you want to print, disconnect from VPN.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I hope this episode gets people to realise that VPNs are terrible and to look for alternative ways to secure access to corporate data

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Thanks Ants posted:

I hope this episode gets people to realise that VPNs are terrible and to look for alternative ways to secure access to corporate data

Copy the company database to thumbdrives and distribute to the employees?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Open RDP to the public?

Manually setting up NAT forwarding so that every workstation has its own port?

Letting the domain controller have 3389?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Fool posted:

Open RDP to the public?

Manually setting up NAT forwarding so that every workstation has its own port?

Letting the domain controller have 3389?

I just got faux-cancer from the mere thought of these.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just got faux-cancer from the mere thought of these.

"I believe in open source administration. Open up ssh and rdp, and eventually someone will get mad at how badly things are set up and fix it."

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I just got a ticket for a user that "can't remember their phone PIN" after we sent out a message requiring Duo 2FA beginning tomorrow.

I looked up the device and this phone has literally NEVER been used for anything since it was deployed. 0 minutes, 0 data, email is not enrolled, it's not in Airwatch, his Google account has never been signed into.
So glad we've been paying for that phone for 3 years.

no mobile device administration tracking data/enrollment use? :(

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

it's not in Airwatch

Why is an assigned mobile resource not already in airwatch regardless of them having used it before?

Why are devices not being checked if they're being used on a regular basis? :psyduck:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Fool posted:

When I did small business consulting I got to redo a company’s internal network just for this reason.

When I ran IT for a small business I got to redo their internal network just for this reason.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Why is an assigned mobile resource not already in airwatch regardless of them having used it before?

He got it before we even had Airwatch.
Airwatch is dead now anyway because it broke and we stopped paying for support.
My boss has refused any of my suggestions for a replacement, so we just have no MDM again.
At least I got KME setup, but nothing to point it to for enrollment so in a year when we finally decide on another lovely platform that isn't MobileIron or Maas360 or Google then I will get to nuke everyone's poo poo and listen to relentless bitching about ~~MY FILES~
Also,

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Why are devices not being checked if they're being used on a regular basis? :psyduck:

You're loving hilarious. Like I have time to babysit 200 devices to make sure they didn't download candy crush saga. I inherited a completely hosed deployment and did what I could with what I had while working like 80 hours a week on actual important poo poo for 2+ years. All my calls to do it right fell on deaf ears.

e: if it makes you feel better I just cancelled like 30 devices from our verizon account that haven't been used in... I couldn't even tell you how long. Like iPad 2's and poo poo. 3G devices that can't even get service now that verizon has ended it.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 22, 2020

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

GreenNight posted:

A client I have dealt with had the bright idea, many years ago, to set all their stores to use 1.*.*.* /24 addresses and gently caress around with their routing tables to ensure that everything worked smoothly. This worked great in late 90's Ireland, because who orders poo poo from China ever? In the distant future of 2019 I laughed and laughed and laughed and then said "well here's how you fix it. Good luck!".

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Let me tell you the story of a very very very large Korean electronics manufacturer who's internal IP space to this day sits on ranges owned by Egypt.

Actually I'm not going to tell you it's too depressing.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We still have some critical plc infra running in a Siemens-defined lab subnet from the 90s... Thankfully its a completely separate redundant fibreoptical network, but still!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Mustache Ride posted:

Let me tell you the story of a very very very large Korean electronics manufacturer who's internal IP space to this day sits on ranges owned by Egypt.

I want 2 know.

Without getting into specifics, we do this too, but it was put together by a team much smarter than me in a time that IPv6 wasn't really a thing, and the needs of our industry warrants several million private IP addresses that a single /8 can't cover. It's never been a problem and the current system Just Works so I can understand whey there's been no push into converting to v6 and the massive amount of retraining that comes with that.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Mustache Ride posted:

How long before someone starts a war to get hold of an IP-address block?

After all, as resources go, they are currently more valuable that oil.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

this is why i assign random, odd net numbers to my various networks, rather than going with the classic 0.0/24 or 1.0/24

saved my rear end a couple times so far

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I think one of our office networks is still using the netblock assigned to Iran or North Korea. I'm sure one of our former employees did it for the lulz at some point.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Truga posted:

this is why i assign random, odd net numbers to my various networks, rather than going with the classic 0.0/24 or 1.0/24

saved my rear end a couple times so far

Same here.. Setting up our servers, I went with a scheme that was unlikely to be used by a home user. Our VPN Pool also uses an atypical scheme.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Our new networks are like 10.99.99.*, 10.99.98.*, etc.

Just migrating the old ones are a big ol' hassle and we don't want to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Shut up Meg posted:

How long before someone starts a war to get hold of an IP-address block?

After all, as resources go, they are currently more valuable that oil.

i don't know but it sounds like a job for tom clancy's net force