Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I think derp is right to be disillusioned with a lot of book cover designs, and that one isn't particularly egregious but it is going to date badly in my view. My easy and simple rules for book cover design (completely foolproof) are:

1. The cover should either have a suitable, good cover image with the title in its own clearly delineated section (this book cover cheats by having the words appear in a needlessly empty sky, the bastards. Also I don't like the drawing) OR
2. The cover should be abstract, and thus able to incorporate the title into the image
AND
3. Don't try to do anything too fancy with fonts, or have handwritten anything.
4. Don't make the author name bigger than the title

Is that so much to ask? Not, apparently, from english language publishers. The german books I own consistently do better design-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
just make all prose fiction covers blue, and all prose nonfiction covers white.

poetry? what am I, made of colors? staple some printer paper into a chapbook or some poo poo

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I go back and forth on deckled edges. :agesilaus:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

This is the version I got on sale. At least this translation is good, according to what SBB told me.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's a very good translation, that's the same one I read.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Oh, Oliver ready alright

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Solitair posted:

This is the version I got on sale. At least this translation is good, according to what SBB told me.

dr seuss in his grimdark years

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

jesus christ

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I prefer this one:

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Burning Rain posted:

I prefer this one:

lol step aside

disclaimer: i do not deny that this is a perfectly acceptable depiction of a modern-day pechorin

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Yeah, it threw me for a loop, but I immediately fell in love when I read the book.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

People mocked me the last time I criticized those Modern Library covers, but they really are poo poo.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I kind of dig the weird cartoon covers because they are not exactly great representations of the book but they are interesting enough as illustrations

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Bandiet posted:

People mocked me the last time I criticized those Modern Library covers, but they really are poo poo.

Are all of these the same dude? In that case they’re good, otherwise ehhh

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Bandiet posted:

:stare: it’s like they’re not even trying with this one

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
how long until they do a version of grapes of wrath that is just a grape with an emoji angry face on it

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

how long until they do a version of grapes of wrath that is just a grape with an emoji angry face on it

firing up photoshop right now

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

ulvir posted:

:stare: it’s like they’re not even trying with this one

tbf thats a pretty good representation of werther

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
that rimbaud one got me good

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I just noticed that the "t" in punishment is a Russian Orthodox cross.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

WatermelonGun posted:

that rimbaud one got me good

it looks like a youtube clickbait video where rimbaud complains about lag costing him his minecraft hardcore run

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

lmao

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

it looks like a youtube clickbait video where rimbaud complains about lag costing him his minecraft hardcore run

rimbaud after verlaine teamkills him in cs:go

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

CestMoi posted:

rimbaud after verlaine teamkills him in cs:go

Feu! feu sur moi! Là! ou je me rends–Lâches!–Je me tue! Je me jette aux pieds des chevaux! [demonetized]

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Did Gogol's The Portrait have any effect on Oscar Wilde and The Picture of Dorian Gray? Maybe it's just a superficial shared element, the creepy painting.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Modern Library Classics always have some random stock photo for the cover, but they feel unbelievably nice to hold while reading, and the bronze spines with too much text crammed onto them kick rear end.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I think this one's pretty good

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Heath posted:

I think this one's pretty good

ok I gotta read that

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hard recs to The Caterpillar by Edogawa Rampo which is anti-war literature by way of body horror in the same vein as Johnny Got His Gun but arguably a bit more visceral

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Knew about the movie, didn't know (or forgot) that it was a short story. Thanks for putting it back on my radar; will read at earliest convenience.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Heath posted:

The whole print run of Classics Deluxe editions is like that. They're called French folds, I've got a couple of other ones that have them. I think they're nice. :shobon:

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Those Penguin Deluxe Classics are corny as all hell. This thread had a tangent a while back about the literal cartoon heart on Heart of Darkness.

My copy of Gravity's Rainbow is the Classic Deluxe with Frank Miller's coverart. It is minimal and therefore tasteful, thankfully.

I'm done with Part 1 of Gravity's Rainbow. I must say reading pages and pages with only a generally correct sense of what's going on has been bizarre. I think to digest the material better I'm going to read analysis of each Part before going on to the next.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Gravity's Rainbow is a book about approximation, confusion, and journeys leading nowhere. If you try to scientifically understand its atomic elements you are becoming the villain of your own reading. With that said, enjoy it however you like.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Well, I finished Mason & Dixon last week. In some ways I liked it more than GR, in that it had a lot of heart. Really got me a few times. Also I'm very leery of straight lines now.

Among the many things the book does, it takes that kind of mind expanding chaotic kabbalistic realizing a million tings at once and catching horrible glimpses of how they mesh together, and instead of applying it to war and business and sex and bureaucracy to does it to geography and electricity and the very idea of layered meaning and information as energy itself. Great poo poo.

Gonna do Against the Day next, but taking time between Pynchon doorstops to smash some other books. Reading The Magus by John Fowles, whcih I found a great old paperback of from the 70s. Would Fowles belong here? The Collector was, to my memory, extremely good and pretty literary. Not quite sure where this one is going just yet.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
i know it's dumb to read a book you're not really 'enjoying' especially a 900 page one but I've also finished part 1 of GR and since my reaction has largely been "uh huh. okay. uhhh... sure? what?" for the first 200 pages I'm not exactly champing at the bit to read the next 700

like it's not a "hard" book in the way that I thought it might be, where I'm struggling to figure out what's going on at any one moment (usually), i just keep asking myself why I should care.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

doug fuckey posted:

i know it's dumb to read a book you're not really 'enjoying' especially a 900 page one but I've also finished part 1 of GR and since my reaction has largely been "uh huh. okay. uhhh... sure? what?" for the first 200 pages I'm not exactly champing at the bit to read the next 700

like it's not a "hard" book in the way that I thought it might be, where I'm struggling to figure out what's going on at any one moment (usually), i just keep asking myself why I should care.

Part 2 is really where it picks up, though. Part 1, which still has a lot of great moments, is largely setting up all the pieces for the rest of the book.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Yeah you gotta read about Slothrop in the Zone

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

after finishing to the lighthouse (which does get a lot easier in Time Passes) i moved on to ali smith's seasons quartet and those are good books and appropriately kafkaesque for anything set in contemporary britain - or at least Autumn is, haven't read the others yet

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Franchescanado posted:

Part 2 is really where it picks up, though. Part 1, which still has a lot of great moments, is largely setting up all the pieces for the rest of the book.

Ditto. Part 2 was a fun page-turner and even had a central character. I felt rewarded when the giant octopus attacked and my suspicions of it being staged turned out true, as that wasn't just some wacky moment Pynchon threw in but actually had a set up in Part 1. Obvious, perhaps, but what it meant is that there is causality, at least so far, in the book. To me that's important. Pynchon isn't just loving off all the time.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

This is the best Classics cover design I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Thomas “Toilet Paper” Pynchon