Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Going to be pretty funny if the wandering bard just kills the dead king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Finally caught up with TWI after saving like a dozen or two chapters for a now-cancelled plane flight. Was very surprised by Mating Rituals 2 onwards; the first one was more inconsequential but this one was actually somewhat important (and funny), and given how largely asexual the entire series has been to this point, the last few chapters have been pretty unexpected. Also a surprise was that they were quite well-written despite barely having touched on any of these topics in the past (lots of salt in the MR2 comments too, lmao), in particular the most recent nonpatreon one. I was not expecting that the true enemy of volume 7 would be homophobia.

I'm also thinking I'm going to enjoy watching Relc's new subplot play out here.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Argue posted:

Finally caught up with TWI after saving like a dozen or two chapters for a now-cancelled plane flight. Was very surprised by Mating Rituals 2 onwards; the first one was more inconsequential but this one was actually somewhat important (and funny), and given how largely asexual the entire series has been to this point, the last few chapters have been pretty unexpected. Also a surprise was that they were quite well-written despite barely having touched on any of these topics in the past (lots of salt in the MR2 comments too, lmao), in particular the most recent nonpatreon one. I was not expecting that the true enemy of volume 7 would be homophobia.

I'm also thinking I'm going to enjoy watching Relc's new subplot play out here.

and transphobia too!

not gonna lie onieva should burn pallass to the loving ground

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I just want Onieva to become best friends with Erin and for Erins place to become a regular hangout for hbtq peeps

Also Relc and Klbchk plots are really loving good too!

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
I am just one of the public plebs, so I don't know the latest development. But I had a really bad reaction to Relc's plot. My stepmother got into a MLM trick and just wouldn't listen to the rest of us.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
New Katalepsis chapter is very, very good. :allears:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Take a shot every time Heather thinks "meat".

The moment where Heather fucks up and forgets how to be a human was inevitable, but this was so much better than expected. Writing your PoV character experiencing things which cannot be comprehended by humans is obviously a rather difficult task, but I thought the ocean metaphor worked and it was nice to finally sort of meet Maisy. Zombie Heather just following Raine around and Raine just rolling with it is great.

I also wonder if the intended takeaway is that she's actually been a soul piloting a fleshbag all along. There's been the occasional hints that her biology isn't normal (such as the fact that she's not dead...), but this chapter was more explicit about the fact that she "used" the food she ate rather than bothering with normal human biological processes.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That new Prac guide chapter is loving incredible.
It's so well done, well written.
God above, I just want the story to end so I can blitz through the whole loving thing, my god it's so good.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

god drat that prac guide chapter

really wondering what the last affray is about

also digging that the bard was intentionally trying to be put in a situation where she could be perma-killed because she's just so damned tired of being the bard, or at least that's my reading

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

SerSpook posted:

god drat that prac guide chapter

really wondering what the last affray is about

also digging that the bard was intentionally trying to be put in a situation where she could be perma-killed because she's just so damned tired of being the bard, or at least that's my reading

comments thread seems to think Judgement (the white knight) will intervene to stop The Empress (Cordelia) from bringing doom on everyone.

re the spoiler - I don't think that was the outcome she was aiming for in this skirmish, but she would have been delighted if that was the actual outcome, because it's obvious that this is what she's aiming for overall for herself.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
So two goals for Bard I think

1) Die, which failed, not not necessarily her fault, and she's full on gently caress the gods now?
2) Cat replaces her, which did fail

Also I have no idea what the hell the consequences of all the rest of the stuff.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm catching up with the last few PracGuide chapters.

I'm shipping Hakram/Mirror Knight

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Ytlaya posted:

:allears:

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
More like Halfram imo

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

this is terrible

everyone knows its hakram/any orc with a pulse and mirror knight/being used as a projectile

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 25, 2020

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Dikkfor posted:

More like Halfram imo

Not bad

I still like Hakram Half-Slain as a new name for him

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Katalepsis 8.1: lol Nicky is gonna join Team Disaster Lesbians isn't she

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 25, 2020

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

tithin posted:

Not bad

I still like Hakram Half-Slain as a new name for him

He'll probably end up as a reverse Skeletor at this rate.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Now that I'm caught up, these recent events only solidify my shipping theory. Mirror Knight was wooed by Hakram's beautiful singing, and now Hakram is going to be wooed by being dismembered by Mirror Knight, because orcs.

I'm kinda curious how the gently caress they're going to deal with all the demons that are apparently loose in the Arsenal now. Aren't Mirror Knight/Hakram/Vagrant Spear basically stuck in a room with them (with the Autumn Prince also coming in soon)?

edit: Oh yeah, and also whatever is going on with Red Axe suddenly cutting Kingfisher Prince's neck.

By the way, was it ever revealed how Catherine avoided death when she got her neck stabbed? Was she using Night necromancy on Tancred's corpse the whole time with a glamour over it or something?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 25, 2020

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Re: Cat. Yes, basically. It's the same gambit Black did against the White Knight iirc in the Vale battle.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Katreus posted:

Re: Cat. Yes, basically. It's the same gambit Black did against the White Knight iirc in the Vale battle.

How exactly did that work with Black by the way? IIRC Hanno saw his green eyes and what have you; was he just corpse controlling someone who looked similar enough to himself?

It was also kind of surprising that Catherine can apparently use Night while controlling a corpse, assuming my understanding of that is correct. Doesn't that mean there's never any reason for her to fight in person?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ytlaya posted:

How exactly did that work with Black by the way? IIRC Hanno saw his green eyes and what have you; was he just corpse controlling someone who looked similar enough to himself?

It was also kind of surprising that Catherine can apparently use Night while controlling a corpse, assuming my understanding of that is correct. Doesn't that mean there's never any reason for her to fight in person?

Not fully caught up on PracGuide, but I can guess at an answer to your spoiler question. The world runs on narratives. Cat is a Villain and Villains who "aren't really there" are a lot more likely to get gibbed. Heroes defeating Villians only to discover it's not really them is a standard narrative trope. In PracGuide, that would mean anytime a Villain doesn't show up in person, they hand the Heroes an extra edge.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So I just read most of False Prophets (battletech AU self insert (though light on the self insert thank god)) and it's okay. It'd probably be better without the self insert but what the gently caress wouldn't am I right?

Mostly it made me miss Soumi Warders by Dave Waino. That was some drat good BT fiction.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

A big flaming stink posted:

Katalepsis 8.1: lol Nicky is gonna join Team Disaster Lesbians isn't she
She's not old enough to be their mum, but cool big sister or cousin? Could work. Could work.

TWI: And thus, the Bee Rescue Team was formed. They had one mission: rescuing bees. :allears:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Five new WtC chapters just dropped: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/25137/worth-the-candle/chapter/489717/notes-iii

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

i havent read a chapter of wtc since the rape chapter and i see absolutely no reason why i should

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Sampatrick posted:

i havent read a chapter of wtc since the rape chapter and i see absolutely no reason why i should

Same

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Katalepsis 8.1: Nice to see Heather building up her strength and exercising more even though she doesn't think of it that way. I like seeing characters grow and improve.

Affi posted:

So I just read most of False Prophets (battletech AU self insert (though light on the self insert thank god)) and it's okay. It'd probably be better without the self insert but what the gently caress wouldn't am I right?

Mostly it made me miss Soumi Warders by Dave Waino. That was some drat good BT fiction.

Have you read Poptarts game here? I think it is at least as good as most of the published fiction.

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

The latest Worth the Candle chapters were a delight. I'm glad I trusted the author to handle certain subjects well enough for me and that I continue to experience joy with each update.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

Ooof. I'm so glad I stopped before that, I could see it trending towards more and more weird and uncomfortable.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

textbookOrigins posted:

The latest Worth the Candle chapters were a delight. I'm glad I trusted the author to handle certain subjects well enough for me and that I continue to experience joy with each update.

I'm happy for you too.

I just don't trust them to handle stuff well. It's ok to like different things.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

LLSix posted:

Have you read Poptarts game here? I think it is at least as good as most of the published fiction.

Yeppers! Its just that the small snippets are fun and all but not really the same? If Pops would turn his LP into a more put together story? I would be so all over that.

Same with Diogenes and Paradise Lost. Dude should keep the basics and just smooth out the edges and then release chapters while getting paid from like patreon.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Sampatrick posted:

I mean if rape appearing in fiction is a hard no from you then yeah makes sense to stay away. Totally reasonable.

That said, in terms of problematicness, the standard fridging-esque way of using rape of "wow look how bad these bad guys are, you can tell because of all the rape" is a lot worse imo. TWI is a good example here, the rape dungeon is used as a simple tool to demonstrate that despite the goblin mountain city being ostensibly more 'civilized' than other random goblin tribes, they're still super evil, because of the never ending rape. Then the plot point is quickly resolved and the women involved are sent away, never to be heard from again.

The rape that happens in WtC is used to explore humanization and cultural understanding of consent for a character that's not human or even one of the mortal species: the rapist is a sentient magical item that didn't actually think what she did counted as rape. Complicating things is that she herself was seriously abused as a 'child' and then left abandoned for hundreds of years as random strangers periodically invaded her body (for those who haven't read WtC and are very confused right now: she's a magical house). Not the greatest formative experiences.

Not that this excuses the rape that happens, and I'd argue that the story treats it responsibly: it's framed as horrible, and she's immediately expelled from the group to hopefully/maybe be reformed. It's not used as a cheap trick to signal how terrible Bethel is, because you already knew she was terrible from all the torture and murder and constant threats.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Ooof. I'm so glad I stopped before that, I could see it trending towards more and more weird and uncomfortable.
I love WtC but "weird and uncomfortable" is a pretty good description of a lot of it, yeah. One of the chapters this time is discussing the culture of the infernals that torture people for all eternity.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 30, 2020

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Also elves have cloakas.

And the final boss is an incel rape abomination

It’s a really weird serial. And yeah most of these really creepy subjects are handled in surprisingly good ways. But it’s still a very weird series.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Affi posted:

Also elves have cloakas.
No that's dwarves, who are mono-gendered and reproduce through...? I can't remember exactly.

I actually think the Dwarf culture is rad. Well, not in the sense that I'd enjoy being in it myself, but from a worldbuilding perspective, I think the author did a good job of hitting on some typical notes (the dwarves are gruff short underground dudes and they mine things; possibly gold-obsessed) but flesh it out in a way that feels real. Like I was rolling my eyes when Grak was first introduced, but his whole companion sidequest ended up being one of my favorite things in fantasy works, period.

quote:

And the final boss is an incel rape abomination
That's not quite what Fel Seed sounded like to me. To me it sounded more like "unstoppable Zerg body horror man".

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Cicero posted:

No that's dwarves, who are mono-gendered and reproduce through...? I can't remember exactly.

I actually think the Dwarf culture is rad. Well, not in the sense that I'd enjoy being in it myself, but from a worldbuilding perspective, I think the author did a good job of hitting on some typical notes (the dwarves are gruff short underground dudes and they mine things; possibly gold-obsessed) but flesh it out in a way that feels real. Like I was rolling my eyes when Grak was first introduced, but his whole companion sidequest ended up being one of my favorite things in fantasy works, period.

That's not quite what Fel Seed sounded like to me. To me it sounded more like "unstoppable Zerg body horror man".

We don’t really know a lot about Fel Seed other than that there are “Brides” and “flesh puppets” and that it came through during that time Juniper was deep into psychological self-harm in a very edgelord sort of way. I have a bad feeling it’s going to be a “rape you to death” sort of thing.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Worth the Candle is kind of hard to describe. It has all the weird trappings of a LitRPG ; levels, quests, harems, physical/mental stats, and companion characters, but it's more interested in diving into the existential horror of those concepts than in being a power fantasy. It's a LitRPG in the same way that Worm is a superhero story.

It took me a long time to get into it, but I was hooked as soon as I realized what it was going for. It ended up being a real page turner. The only thing that bothered me about it was the authors habit of subverting what you expected, replacing it with something new and interesting , but then getting bogged down into thousands of words of introspection right in the middle of a chapter.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I bailed when the dude got raped by his own house, but while I was following it I thought it was largely a really fun idea that couldn't consistently stay out of its own way. The litRPG subversion thing was a bit inconsistent but worked pretty well, I liked that the self-insert everyman introvert character was very explicitly kind of a piece of crap, and so on. At the same time I think a lot of the introspective passages were tedious and unnecessary, the sex stuff made me feel vaguely uncomfortable even before House-kun battened down the hatches, and the game theory/metagaming stuff felt way, way too detailed for what the story needed.

All that having been said, I also think that an editing pass would require way less ripping and tearing than a lot of serials. Cut most of the crunchy mechanical discussion, cut the long, meandering tangents where the author tells us through Juniper about something interesting he read about the other day, reframe the angst and wallowing in introspection bits so we're not playing first-person therapy simulator (which is funny because I'm pretty sure that's exactly what Juniper is doing), cut 80% of the flashbacks to pre-game world, cut the creepy sex poo poo, and cut that bizarrely extended storyline where the deer impregnates that lady. What's left is a much tighter story that would still be pretty engaging and hard to put down.

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 1, 2020

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

I bailed when the dude got raped by his own house, but while I was following it I thought it was largely a really fun idea that couldn't consistently stay out of its own way. The litRPG subversion thing was a bit inconsistent but worked pretty well, I liked that the self-insert everyman introvert character was very explicitly kind of a piece of crap, and so on. At the same time I think a lot of the introspective passages were tedious and unnecessary, the sex stuff made me feel vaguely uncomfortable even before House-kun battened down the hatches, and the game theory/metagaming stuff felt way, way too detailed for what the story needed.

All that having been said, I also think that an editing pass would require way less ripping and tearing than a lot of serials. Cut most of the crunchy mechanical discussion, cut the long, meandering tangents where the author tells us through Juniper about something interesting he read about the other day, reframe the angst and wallowing in introspection bits so we're not playing first-person therapy simulator (which is funny because I'm pretty sure that's exactly what Juniper is doing), cut 80% of the flashbacks to pre-game world, cut the creepy sex poo poo, and cut that bizarrely extended storyline where the deer impregnates that lady. What's left is a much tighter story that would still be pretty engaging and hard to put down.

these are basically my thoughts on it. i think aw is a really good writer but hes just so indulgent in a way that is actually sort of uncommon in web serials.

also the rape poo poo is gross. it wasnt necessary, it didnt add anything to the story, and frankly its just extremely gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

I bailed when the dude got raped by his own house

Put me down as another person who bailed at this time, and all your points about the story are exactly why I never bothered to pick it back up. There's so much I really enjoyed about the story but the further it went the more the parts I did not enjoy started becoming more prominent.