Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I believe that's called a Crunchwrap Supreme™

Bagheera posted:

Quesadilla?

Crunchwrap Supreme is closer to what I was thinking. I just thought there was a non-branded name for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

me your dad posted:

What's the Mexican wrap thing called where you put ingredients in a tortilla, fold it into a stuffed disc-shaped object and fry it in a pan?
Are we talking Taco Bell or food truck Mexican food? Because you're almost describing a huarache, although those are fried masa dough plus random poo poo.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

In Oaxaca we had something called a tetela. Not fried but close to the Crunchwrap Supreme™ in concept

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BrianBoitano posted:

In Oaxaca we had something called a tetela. Not fried but close to the Crunchwrap Supreme™ in concept

I was just about to say that I thought tetelas were more like open-face pupusas, but that's apparently memelas. Which leads me to ask: are we actually talking about pupusas?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I kind of regret asking about this.

I think it's the crunchwrap supreme. I had a food blog site open earlier when I was looking for a marinade recipe and I was on one of six conference calls for the day and while I was on a call the blog had a video playing and they were making one of these things and it looked so good but I could only pay so much attention due to occasionally having to say "yes" during the call. I haven't had lunch and I started drinking beer at 3:30 during one of the six conference calls and I want to get away from my screaming children and have a crunchwrap supreme

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

me your dad posted:

I kind of regret asking about this.

I think it's the crunchwrap supreme. I had a food blog site open earlier when I was looking for a marinade recipe and I was on one of six conference calls for the day and while I was on a call the blog had a video playing and they were making one of these things and it looked so good but I could only pay so much attention due to occasionally having to say "yes" during the call. I haven't had lunch and I started drinking beer at 3:30 during one of the six conference calls and I want to get away from my screaming children and have a crunchwrap supreme

was it this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYXJuzZszMA

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I found it. It was this, and it is shamefully a crunchwrap supreme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0UzGhS8Xko

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Meh, Taco Bell is pretty much the only fast food I'm not ashamed of liking.

I'm not sure that I would try and make it at home. That said, those sped-up-over-head-views you tube videos aren't the worst way to learn to cook.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Why would you shove giant chunks of chicken in a homemade version? Seems dumb. Just use shredded chicken.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Why would you shove giant chunks of chicken in a homemade version? Seems dumb. Just use shredded chicken.

cause it probably tastes better? i like the guy's channel and watched it yesterday but i would not make one nor would i eat the taco bell slop version either

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Taco Bell is good if you think of it as American food and not Mexican.

If you think taco as in "fresh corn tortilla with juicy grilled meats and homemade sauces" Taco Bell tastes like poo poo.

If you think "basically a hamburger-ground beef, cheese, lettuce and tomato-in a big corn chip," it's pretty good.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

my opinion (unpopular?) is that this podcast on the taco bell breakfast menu is great: https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/anthropocene-reviewed/episodes/episode-6-lascaux-paintings-and-the-taco-bell-breakfast-menu

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

The guy loves Taco Bell so much he's making copycat versions of it at home, he's probably not exactly Rick Bayless.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Liking crunchwraps isn't shameful
Especially not during all this bullshit. Eat what you want.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Speaking of pupusas, anyone got a good recipe?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Casu Marzu posted:

Liking crunchwraps isn't shameful
Especially not during all this bullshit. Eat what you want.

You're right, I retract my snobbery condescending statement.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

Meh, Taco Bell is pretty much the only fast food I'm not ashamed of liking.

I'm not sure that I would try and make it at home. That said, those sped-up-over-head-views you tube videos aren't the worst way to learn to cook.
If the recipe behind it is solid, they're a really good way to show what things should look at at each stage. Unfortunately clips with good recipes and clips with dodgy recipes that are just churned out to exploit the algorithm look exactly the same.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. Last time I posted you gave me birthday cake suggestions (the red wine chocolate cake was a big hit!) so thought I'd ask for your help again:

Is there a small- or mug-sized birthday dessert recipe you can recommend? Think 2-4 servings max -- I've been asked to make sure that the two of us are not stuck with a week's worth of cake (which honestly sounds loving fantastic) thus the size limitation. If it helps, here are my general parameters:

- Chocolate-based cake-like things would be best
- I don't have a stand mixer (but I do have a hand mixer)
- Coconut and banana are out, on account of the wife (whose birthday it is) hating the former and me being allergic to the latter
- Maybe no ingredients on the exotic side of things, mostly on account of the End Times? The basics aren't a problem though.

Any suggestions?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Make chocolate souffles
https://toeatdrinkandbemarried.com/3-ingredient-chocolate-souffles/

You just need egg whites, sugar, and chocolate.

You can use the leftover yolks to make a creme anglaise to spoon over the finished souffles or freeze them for later use.

These also will freeze well and can be baked from frozen.

I used to make 30-40 of these a night at a place I used to work at.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Or you could make chocolate lava cakes. They are pretty simple ingredient wise.
We find that it's best to make testers of them so that you can get exact timings for your oven and mixture to get the perfect ooze.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Helith posted:

Or you could make chocolate lava cakes. They are pretty simple ingredient wise.
We find that it's best to make testers of them so that you can get exact timings for your oven and mixture to get the perfect ooze.

https://youtu.be/KsYbWus0Vbg

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Thumposaurus posted:

Make chocolate souffles

Helith posted:

Or you could make chocolate lava cakes.

Good ideas! I think the lava cake might be the way to go -- she's a cake fiend in general and we also had them at our wedding reception.

And I'll want to make the souffles for myself :ninja:

edit: would I have to make any major adjustments if I used muffin tins instead of ramekins for the lava cakes? They'd be smaller, so I'm guessing the time would be shorter by about... a quarter?

Trabant fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 16, 2020

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I have a baking question:
I want to use pack cake mix because it can give a much more consistent texture result with all its balanced emulsifiers and such but they all have too much sugar so they are too sweet for my liking.
Is there something I can add to it to make it less sweet without messing up the mix consistency or onto the finished cake to do that? I have been using more bitter or sour toppings for the cake so far like dark choc or tangy cherries and I've tried all the different brands I can get.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I couldn’t get any bread flour, so we have bread mix. Can I still use this to make doughnuts?

I think I can just use bread mix in place of the flour, yeast and salt, but is there anything else in there that will make bad doughnuts?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Gonna go on the hunt for flour today. Need pizza flour and bread flour. Wish me luck.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Scientastic posted:

I couldn’t get any bread flour,

Wow, really? Restaurant Depot is still full of food. Got one near you?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Squashy Nipples posted:

Wow, really? Restaurant Depot is still full of food. Got one near you?

Sadly, my nearest one is >5000km away

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Scientastic posted:

Sadly, my nearest one is >5000km away

Oh right, you are like British or something.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

How can I turn a load of peach juice into sorbet?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Question for the restaurant depot shoppers: do they carry Coke Zero in bulk? Costco does, but it’s no cheaper than the regular store and sometimes even more expensive.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

What's the best way to put away whole frozen chicken? I normally buy them thawed so I can chop it up into pieces and store them frozen in a ziplock bag. What the hell do I do with this if it's frozen? Can I thaw it out, cut it up and freeze it after?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It'll still be edible, but refreezing meat like that messes with the texture. However, you can cook the whole chicken and then freeze the cooked meat, the cooking process seems to kind of reset the texture. I've done that plenty of times and never noticed anything amiss.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

It'll still be edible, but refreezing meat like that messes with the texture. However, you can cook the whole chicken and then freeze the cooked meat, the cooking process seems to kind of reset the texture. I've done that plenty of times and never noticed anything amiss.

Once it’s cooked, there’s a lot less water content present to damage the meat when it expands during freezing.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Scientastic posted:

How can I turn a load of peach juice into sorbet?

Do you have an ice cream machine?
With my freezer machine, I can just dump in pretty much any juice and it will make a sorbet.

The only thing is controlling the consistency, you might need to cook the juice down a bit to concentrate it first.

Lawnie posted:

Question for the restaurant depot shoppers: do they carry Coke Zero in bulk? Costco does, but it’s no cheaper than the regular store and sometimes even more expensive.

Soda is ALWAYS cheaper at Costco!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lawnie posted:

Once it’s cooked, there’s a lot less water content present to damage the meat when it expands during freezing.

That makes sense. Changing the proteins probably does something too.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

me your dad posted:

I found it. It was this, and it is shamefully a crunchwrap supreme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0UzGhS8Xko

Made these tonight. Good and fun but I lack the big floppy legit tortillas that are really needed.

Actually I think I used the same tortillas they did. Just a little difficult to wrap up in practice.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 18, 2020

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Bioshuffle posted:

What's the best way to put away whole frozen chicken? I normally buy them thawed so I can chop it up into pieces and store them frozen in a ziplock bag. What the hell do I do with this if it's frozen? Can I thaw it out, cut it up and freeze it after?

Hacksaws cut up frozen meat well, you can buy a special butcher one but a clean metal one works fine.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Flannelette posted:

Hacksaws cut up frozen meat well, you can buy a special butcher one but a clean metal one works fine.

I'd advise against this unless you like having bone fragments in your chicken.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Schmeichy posted:

Speaking of pupusas, anyone got a good recipe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2XpKKAx5yo

I cannot vouch for this recipe, but I watched this video out of curiosity to find out what they were and how they were made about a year ago, and I think Rick does a pretty good job at breaking them down. He makes a beans and cheese pupusa. There seems to be a bit of technique involved in handling the dough, but they seem somewhat forgiving. For added flavor, I think you'd traditionally fry them in lard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Two questions.

1. Quite often, a recipe will specify that you should just smash a garlic clove instead of slicing \ dicing \ mincing it.

Intuitively, it feels like the more finely you cut garlic, the more garlic flavor you get? Particularly when infusing butter \ oil with garlic flavor, is there a reason to use a whole smashed clove instead of (say) cutting it up into several thin slices than can be easily removed?

2. I have a large-ish slice of bacon that's been sitting in my fridge for several weeks (all wrapped up ). I feel like it's eventually going to spoil, so I should cook it... but what's a good way to cook \ preserve bacon so that it lasts for a week or two?