Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

kimchi Corn syrup is the real national dish of korea

e: Wow what a page snype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just discovered migas by googling "what to do with stale bread" or some such thing, it was extremely delicious. Having stale bread is kind of a once in a blue moon event for me though, it generally gets eaten or if not it will get moldy long before it goes stale. So will migas work with non-stale bread?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

The Moon Monster posted:

I just discovered migas by googling "what to do with stale bread" or some such thing, it was extremely delicious. Having stale bread is kind of a once in a blue moon event for me though, it generally gets eaten or if not it will get moldy long before it goes stale. So will migas work with non-stale bread?

You can always get fresh bread to stale by accelerating the moisture leaving: put it in a low oven (like 200? °F) until it feels stale enough, or toast it on a low setting a couple of times.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

effika posted:

You can always get fresh bread to stale by accelerating the moisture leaving: put it in a low oven (like 200? °F) until it feels stale enough, or toast it on a low setting a couple of times.
And you can do the same thing if you want to make croutons, bread crumbs, and that kind of thing.

In kimchichat, it's worth noting that while cabbage is the most common form of kimchi, there's a whole shitload of other varieties. In a typical American grocery store anything labelled kimchi is almost certainly going to be cabbage, though.

It's also worth noting that cabbage kimchi is a great babby's first fermentation project--it's dead simple and produces good results even if you've never done it before.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

What's your local big city? Costco has sour cream, that's where we would get it. If you're going to Seoul or Busan I'm sure there's plenty of places to buy some, I can ask around.

There was also a nice unsweetened sour yogurt that I used to use as a substitute, but I haven't lived in Korea for years so who knows if that still exists. It was a Korean brand but I don't remember the name, I just looked through yogurt ingredient lists until I found one without any sweeteners.

We're headed to Busan on Tuesday, so hopefully they'll have it. I saw Maeil makes some. If not, they *are* selling it on GMarket, but my other dairy products might not last long enough for it to arrive.

Oh god, kimchi...
I can send you some if you want.

I tried making it myself recently, and the results were... unique...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shadow0 posted:

We're headed to Busan on Tuesday, so hopefully they'll have it. I saw Maeil makes some. If not, they *are* selling it on GMarket, but my other dairy products might not last long enough for it to arrive.

My sources tell me Emart sells sour cream reliably. If Busan is your local big city there is also a legit as hell Mexican restaurant in Masan, if you're out in that direction. When I lived in Ulsan we had like a rotation among my friends and whoever went to Costco got a big package to split among everybody.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

We need to set up a trade route, swapping kimchi for sour cream.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I got a hankering for Nashville style hot chicken. What are the preferred frying oils? Any recipes folks recommend?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

spankmeister posted:

I'd advise against this unless you like having bone fragments in your chicken.

It has always worked for me as long as it's frozen rock hard and you think about where you cut so you don't hit ribs, I've had to cut up dozens of chickens and fish to fit them in and no little bone bits. Chicken you cut into quarters so you only go through the keel and spine, splitting the wishbone right in the middle, the vertebrae can sometimes fragment but the bits fall off the big pieces and you don't eat those bits anyway. But yeah if you aren't confident about butchering frozen meat the other way works fine too or ask the butcher to do it.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Head Bee Guy posted:

I got a hankering for Nashville style hot chicken. What are the preferred frying oils? Any recipes folks recommend?

I'm a fan of peanut oil myself, and any recipe seems to be fine being that they mostly all have the same ingredients... mostly

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Head Bee Guy posted:

I think lard is traditional. Bon Appetit and Babish both have good videos.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

SubG posted:

And you can do the same thing if you want to make croutons, bread crumbs, and that kind of thing.

In kimchichat, it's worth noting that while cabbage is the most common form of kimchi, there's a whole shitload of other varieties. In a typical American grocery store anything labelled kimchi is almost certainly going to be cabbage, though.

It's also worth noting that cabbage kimchi is a great babby's first fermentation project--it's dead simple and produces good results even if you've never done it before.

Sauerkraut's the only easier first fermentation project, being literally just 'pack cabbage and salt in a jar, leave it alone'.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Sauerkraut's the only easier first fermentation project, being literally just 'pack cabbage and salt in a jar, leave it alone'.
Yeah, cabbage + salt + time is a pretty simple recipe.

But yeah, since cabbages are all pretty much packed with active lactobacillus colonies it's almost impossible to gently caress up any fermentation involving them. As in fermentation is what will happen spontaneously to most cabbages even if you didn't do anything specific to encourage it. Most of what you're doing when you make sauerkraut, kimchi, and so on is just making sure that the veg is clean before it gets started, and ends up in a clean container when it's done. Pretty much everything else is just tweaking the flavours.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What can I do with coconut oil that tastes good

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Nothing. Throw it out.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Put it in your hair

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

If it’s refined, you can basically just use it instead of vegetable/neutral oil in any recipe.

If unrefined, you can basically just use it instead of vegetable/neutral oil in any recipe that you want to add a mild coconut flavor to.

I use either that I have on hand for south Indian dishes. Start there.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if its solid at room temp better as a sub for butter

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Popcorn.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
As a butter substitute? In bread and popcorn? I’m kind of skeptical but I’m willing to try...

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

As a butter substitute? In bread and popcorn? I’m kind of skeptical but I’m willing to try...

Obviously lacks that wonderful butter flavor, but has a very similar mouth feel.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Steve Yun posted:

Most movie theaters make popcorn with coconut oil.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

lube

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the unrefined coconut oil taste is crucial to the old school movie theater popcorn flavor. Once you pop with it it makes sense.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Serious Eats has a recipe for home-made shelf-stable pancake mix that uses refined coconut oil.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

There haven't been little packs of yeast at the supermarket in a few weeks, so when Costco had some giant two-pound packages, I bought one.

How do I handle and store this much yeast? I've only ever baked with the little packets, because I'm a giant man baby.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Freezer

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Keep a little jar in the fridge and fill it up from the freezer when empty.
Vaccuum seal it in between if you have the option but that doesn't really matter much.

A packet of yeast is 1/4 oz if you're using a recipe that measures the yeast amount in packets.

Thumposaurus fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 21, 2020

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It's also 2 1/4 teaspoons typically (if you don't have a scale for ounces or grams)

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Shadow0 posted:

I tried making it myself recently, and the results were... unique...
Yeah the one time I tried, it made very bad smells that let me know that it was not good to eat. Should give it another go, really, but I'm not sure what went wrong.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’m shopping at Restaurant Depot.

Is there a difference between regular AP flour and “hotel and restaurant” AP flour? Or is it meaningless chicken scratch on the packaging

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Steve Yun posted:

Is there a difference between regular AP flour and “hotel and restaurant” AP flour? Or is it meaningless chicken scratch on the packaging

It's just packaging.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

There haven't been little packs of yeast at the supermarket in a few weeks, so when Costco had some giant two-pound packages, I bought one.

How do I handle and store this much yeast? I've only ever baked with the little packets, because I'm a giant man baby.
Assuming it's instant and not dry active, yeah. Get a mason jar or something, put the yeast in it, keep it in the freezer. You can use instant yeast straight from the freezer (assuming you're hitting your target dough temperature). Yeast will keep in the freezer more or less indefinitely. As in this is a good idea all the time, not just when you're doing your apocalypse baking with food service-sized packages of yeast.

Steve Yun posted:

I don't think there's anything rigorous about the term (any more than there is with AP or bread flour), but most brand's H&R AP is slightly lower gluten than their normal AP, and unless they have different SKUs for multiple kinds of H&R flour, their H&R flour is probably going to be bleached and enriched even if their AP isn't.

But yeah, for your purposes there's probably no difference between it and regular AP apart from the fact that the H&R probably came in a 50# sack.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Lol I looked up Ardent mills online and their website says their hotel and restaurant AP flour has anywhere from 9 to 13% protein

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Lol I looked up Ardent mills online and their website says their hotel and restaurant AP flour has anywhere from 9 to 13% protein

That's why it's all purpose. Maybe it's cake flour, maybe its bread flour.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Steve Yun posted:

I've been digging out of a 25lb bag of AP hotel and restaurant flour and it's been just fine. I feel like I'm cosplaying a baker though.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah. On the other hand King Arthur advertises tighter tolerances on their H&R flours. The protein content is advertised as the same as their consumer-grade flour--e.g. 11.7% for AP--but all their H&R flours are claimed to be +/- 0.2% of the stated protein content, while no tolerance is claimed for the consumer stuff. They also have cutesy names for their H&R brands, like Sir Galahad for their H&R AP...possibly to distance their stuff from normal H&R flour.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Is there any repercussions if the protein content is out of tolerance though? Like is there a consortium of quality inspectors who do audits?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Is there any repercussions if the protein content is out of tolerance though? Like is there a consortium of quality inspectors who do audits?
I don't know of any audit process that would apply to something like a marked protein content claim on a bag of flour packaged for retail sale. But bulk grain and flour sales involve contracts specifying quality standards. And wheat and flour sampling and grading are part of that. The USDA has a Federal Grain Inspection Service that establishes the standards.

Presumably a company like King Arthur makes the 11.7% +/- 0.2 claim based on testing done for their own quality control. As far as I know there's no automagic auditing that's taking place specifically to keep them honest on that, although their flour is probably being tested for other reasons--e.g. bulk commercial flour contracts--and if they were out of spec that would come out, even if it wasn't the USDA lowering the boom on them or whatever.

I'm way more familiar with this stuff from the science end rather than the regulatory end, so I'd be happy to be corrected if anyone has better information about flour grading and testing procedures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
From experience, larger bakers (Flowers, Post, Bimbo) tend to do their own internal QA, and if the spec doesn't line up with what they were given, they aren't going to renew the contract. Depending on the exact wording, they might be able to exit the contract early, and they might take that severe a step - but only if the buyers and sellers have a bad relationship, or if it's a new relationship.

H&R flour is generally the same as AP, but in at least one notable mill's case, it's treated with dough conditioners and is made from softer wheat. I don't remember which though.

If your company is found to be dishonest or lax on your QA, you are not going to make it in the industry. Nobody would lie about that, especially not any company that makes it to a grocery store.