Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Inept posted:

I hope you are regularly making GBS threads on your boss's desk for making you come in to a shared space for work.
For real.

Pretty sure I'm only alive today because my office sent us all to work from home.

My wife's cube neighbor apparently caught covid just hours after the last day in the office, and with my asthma.... Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

I really don't see the problem if chuds want to willingly jump into the virus meat grinder while at the same time causing less pollution. No one is forcing you to hang out with the death cultists.

Unfortunately this then forces the employees at these locations to expose themselves or be fired and maybe excluding many from claiming unemployment since they are unwilling to look for work that would technically be available.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Spinz posted:

The link
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918863&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1006#post504290183

The tldr is it's airborne airborne and lasts a long rear end time in the air, way way long 16 hrs?

But like the last paragraph says, we already knew that it was viable in aerosols. And transmission case studies have been finding scenarios that are compatible with droplet transmission but not with aerosol transmission, so the people in those studies must have not been producing enough infectious aerosol for it to matter.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Wendigee posted:

I miss having a functional government with real news especially in times like this.
What country did you move here from?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Gildiss posted:

Unfortunately this then forces the employees at these locations to expose themselves or be fired and maybe excluding many from claiming unemployment since they are unwilling to look for work that would technically be available.

What? Why would someone go to work at a place that deals with people face to face and not expect to deal with people face to face? It's not like the freedom crowd are the only people who go out.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1252826653882937349

Oh, and it was probably here way earlier than our current timeline, but we didn't know because we had no testing

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1252820941698023430

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 22, 2020

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

d0s posted:

the dude I'm sharing an office with does not pay attention to the news and one day asked me why wal-mart was turning people away for not having a mask. while the entire rest of our office was empty
lol

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

QuarkJets posted:

But like the last paragraph says, we already knew that it was viable in aerosols. And transmission case studies have been finding scenarios that are compatible with droplet transmission but not with aerosol transmission, so the people in those studies must have not been producing enough infectious aerosol for it to matter.

I posted that study in cspam originally and I think this is the big part. What I interpret this study to mean is that poorly ventilated areas that generate lots of droplets are bad, and the 6 foot rule could be meaningless in these cases.

Think buses, elevators, small churches, etc.... In places where conditions are closer to ideal like the study, you could become infected by lingering in suspended infectious mists.

On the other hand, well ventilated places probably disperse this before it's problematic. Outside in the open? Six feet separation is probably fine. Doubly so since UV effectively degrades it. I would wager that beaches are probably actually fine if you can keep your distance because ventilation and UV is so strong. If SARS-CoV-2 so readily aerosolizes, the infectious dose must be more than just "a single drop of mist" to infect someone or the R0 would be way higher than 5-6.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Doubly so since UV effectively degrades it

Has that been confirmed? I thought the natural UV you get outside wasn't of the kind that does much to the coronavirus but that was just some goon posting about it without a citation

And that Chinese restaurant study (posted here within the last couple of days) suggested it wasn't the lack of ventilation that was the problem, but rather the air currents created by ventilation that caused multiple additional infections; several people within ~15 feet of an infected person were infected, but only if sitting within the current of air created by an air conditioning vent that the infected person was also sitting in, whereas numerous other patrons and servers who were outside of that airflow were not infected. This could be super bad if there are infected people on a wind-swept beach, or maybe the heat and UV is enough to minimize that effect?

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

EL BROMANCE posted:

It also feels if it was as infectious to such a degree, we would be in a way, way worse position than we are right now given how long you can be contagious with zero symptoms. The predicted r0 would be through the roof, rather than <4, which is still where I believe the upper end of the scale lies.

Shouldn't we now be able to make a call about how "dangerous" this is for want of a better term. Like, if it is a virulent as some people suggest and everyone is basically walking down the street either exhaling or inhaling Covid then it's really not that much worse than a normal flu given that many many more people than we know of have been infected and haven't even noticed. I live in Australia and while yes, there's a lockdown, it's not enough of one for our numbers to be down in the single digits of new cases per day if covid was that contagious.

And if it's not that virulent, then we don't need to be in a total lockdown and simple hand washing - general social distancing and protecting the vulnerable will suffice.

edit: when I say "shouldn't we" i mean "I'm surprised experts aren't making more calls on this, because I don't know"

Illuminti fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 22, 2020

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

QuarkJets posted:

Has that been confirmed? I thought the natural UV you get outside wasn't of the kind that does much to the coronavirus but that was just some goon posting about it without a citation
idk I'm waiting on one of these aerosol studies to include UV as an experimental parameter to have strong opinions but I suspect that UV helps, and a droplet suspended outdoors for 16 hours is going to have way less infectious virions than one indoors.

quote:

And that Chinese restaurant study (posted here within the last couple of days) suggested it wasn't the lack of ventilation that was the problem, but rather the air currents created by ventilation that caused multiple additional infections; several people within ~15 feet of an infected person were infected, but only if sitting within the current of air created by an air conditioning vent that the infected person was also sitting in, whereas numerous other patrons and servers who were outside of that airflow were not infected. This could be super bad if there are infected people on a wind-swept beach, or maybe the heat and UV is enough to minimize that effect?

I think the fluid dynamics of indoor AC with a consistent flow pattern are dramatically different than the sort of turbulent flows you get outdoors. I think in most cases outdoors you also aren't downwind of an infected person for the duration of a meal.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Japan is cutting its citizens/long term residents a check for roughly a thousand USD per person no questions asked so Ive got that going for me.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Illuminti posted:

Shouldn't we now be able to make a call about how "dangerous" this is for want of a better term. Like, if it is a virulent as some people suggest and everyone is basically walking down the street either exhaling or inhaling Covid then it's really not that much worse than a normal flu given that many many more people than we know of have been infected and haven't even noticed. I live in Australia and while yes, there's a lockdown, it's not enough of one for our numbers to be down in the single digits of new cases per day if covid was that contagious.

And if it's not that virulent, then we don't need to be in a total lockdown and simple hand washing - general social distancing and protecting the vulnerable will suffice.

Keep in mind that PCR tests of influenza infections have revealed that influenza carriers tend to be asymptomatic as often as coronavirus carriers, so they're a lot alike in that regard. But when symptoms do appear, influenza tends to be over within a week whereas coronavirus tends to take several weeks and is orders of magnitude more likely to hospitalize or kill you and is also creating a worryingly high number of patients with permanent organ damage.

So we can make a call about how "dangerous" this is relative to influenza: it's comparatively very dangerous. Like seasonal influenza, it's unlikely to effect most people, but those who it does effect are at far greater risk of serious complications. And it's that rate that makes it dangerous to everyone, because everyone always has some risk of randomly needing hospital care so it's important that we not overload those resources with coronavirus patients taking up hospital beds for 2-6 weeks.

Also, "everyone is basically walking down the street either exhaling or inhaling Covid" is inaccurate by anyone's estimate; we are not anywhere near that far along yet.

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

ThermoPhysical posted:

Some of you may have heard of Nebraska Crossing Outlet Mall trying to reopen this week. They've been going on about it here in Omaha for a week now and the news broke nationwide yesterday.

Welp, they've backtracked and claimed "No, it just ONE store and just for medical personnel, NOT the public."

Do not believe that PR speak as it's 100% bullshit. They seriously wanted to open the entire mall to the public and the governor was 100% behind it. They wanted to do this as an "experiment" to see if people would return, how sales would be, and ultimately, what would happen in the end.

They've been going on and on here locally for about a week now how they'd be reopening for all and they're just claiming it was "always" for the medical personnel just so they don't look like heartless assholes.

Greetings from Gretna, Nebraska, the city this outlet mall is in. Please stay away from our outlet mall for the time being because it's owned by an idiot. Thank you.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Shaocaholica posted:

I really don't see the problem if chuds want to willingly jump into the virus meat grinder while at the same time causing less pollution. No one is forcing you to hang out with the death cultists.

They infect people who infect other people who. . . someone you care about/a child/healthcare worker ends up seriously ill or dead.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

QuarkJets posted:

Also, "everyone is basically walking down the street either exhaling or inhaling Covid" is inaccurate by anyone's estimate; we are not anywhere near that far along yet.

Well I was being a bit facetious. But someone was basically claiming that a page or so ago, or near enough.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Illuminti posted:

edit: when I say "shouldn't we" i mean "I'm surprised experts aren't making more calls on this, because I don't know"

As restrictions start to be lifted in the coming weeks we'll find out how much Australia's containment of covid-19 transmission was dependent on lockdown. We will also see whether people still maintain social distancing behaviours in the absence of restrictions.

One thing is certain, if cases start climbing rapidly when restrictions are eased, they will quickly be re-imposed.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Shaocaholica posted:

What? Why would someone go to work at a place that deals with people face to face and not expect to deal with people face to face? It's not like the freedom crowd are the only people who go out.

Gosh, I don't know, something to do with not wanting to be homeless and starving. They can't exactly refuse to work and live off their lavish savings they built up from being a minimum wage slave.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Illuminti posted:

Well I was being a bit facetious. But someone was basically claiming that a page or so ago, or near enough.

Fair enough but I think some envelope math is worth doing here

I saw one estimate that 33% of positive-testing cases in China were asymptomatic at the time of testing, and South Korea found that 20% of positive-testing coronavirus cases never developed symptoms. Both countries have estimated a CFR a bit greater than 2%. Working backwards, you could estimate that the total number of asymptomatic cases is ~10x the reported number of deaths, while the total number of cases is ~50x the reported number of deaths. If we take the US fatality estimate (45k), that's an estimate of ~2.2M cases with ~450k of them being asymptomatic. That's a really small fraction of the US population; even assuming the true number of fatalities is an order of magnitude higher than what's reporting, it still remains a small fraction. And those cases aren't evenly distributed across the US; nearly half of those deaths were all in New York and New Jersey but obviously those states don't have half of the US population living in them.

So by this point I think most people probably haven't even encountered a coronavirus carrier in public yet. But that won't be true for much longer

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Looks like today was the first day USA#1 topped Europe on the daily deceased corona number at 2,600. Old continent going dooooown but still a long way for US to that daily top record of 5k+ Is it possible to DOUBLE UP?!?!

Yesterday was the worst day in the US so far with 2,804 deaths reported. There were only 7,062 deaths in total worldwide, so the US deaths made up 39.7% of the deaths for that day.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

The cumulative worldwide total of reported deaths is 177,821 and the US's cumulative total is 45,343 which is 25.5% of the total, even though the US's population is only about 4.25% of the entire world's population. The reported deaths in NY alone makes up 11.2% of the world total.

The situation in the US is shockingly bad compared to the rest of the world and is growing even worse and it is just incomprehensible that your politicians are trying to roll back the safeguards already.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They want death because it disproportionately affects the poor/minorities

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

scenes from New York

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y088rZ00t7g

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This virus is going to spawn so many drat conspiracy theories

Primarily targets old and poor people? jesus :psyduck:

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I havent seen a single chemtrail in the sky for weeks, which proves that the chemtrails were keeping us safe from corona!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

This virus is going to spawn so many drat conspiracy theories

Primarily targets old and poor people? jesus :psyduck:

And fat men

CountDrac
Jan 19, 2006

drat, truly mind boggling.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Spinz posted:

The link
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918863&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1006#post504290183

The tldr is it's airborne airborne and lasts a long rear end time in the air, way way long 16 hrs?

:|

well im glad it isn't more lethal at least but we're gonna have fatalities in the millions for the united states

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone here really expect to avoid getting it entirely? It's so contagious and a vaccine is so far out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Does anyone here really expect to avoid getting it entirely? It's so contagious and a vaccine is so far out.

Im trying!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Im trying!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

CountDrac posted:

drat, truly mind boggling.

ikr, that naked cowboy dude literally singing trump’s praises in the middle of plague-stricken NYC and getting mad fist bumps from everyone :psyduck:

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

I probably have it. I sheltered in place at my gf for the last month, and she’s working in a nursing home with several confirmed cases among the residents and employees both. It’s been going down for several weeks now and I’m pretty confident we both have it, but we’re both asymptomatic. Neither of us has been tested. She works with PPE on, I work from home. We only go out for groceries which we get from curb pick up at the store. Hopefully we don’t infect anyone.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:tinfoil:
we don't know the long term effects of this virus. for all we know it could be like chicken pox and come back years later with a secondary infection, maybe a deadly one. half of earths population might already be effectively dead

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Bleusilences posted:

edit : NVM I think I am just having a panic attack, sorry about that.

Calme toie big

Ya rien a faire a part prendre ca une journee a fois tse

stab fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 22, 2020

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Rutibex posted:

we don't know the long term effects of this virus. for all we know it could be like chicken pox and come back years later with a secondary infection, maybe a deadly one. half of earths population might already be effectively dead

What the gently caress is this? I'll repeat a request that came out of the DND thread: let's not use these forums as your personal nightmare diary.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Rutibex posted:

100% of the world's population is "effectively dead."

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

It also feels if it was as infectious to such a degree, we would be in a way, way worse position than we are right now given how long you can be contagious with zero symptoms. The predicted r0 would be through the roof, rather than <4, which is still where I believe the upper end of the scale lies.

At least we have no idea how bad it actually is with massive under reporting in deaths worldwide as testing is also completely inadequate.

Extremely, ridiculously contagious virus with a huge spread but low mortality? We aren't testing to know how big the infection is!
A more deadly virus that is harder to transmit from person to person? Once we test people we might find out!

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 22, 2020

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Tuxide posted:

Greetings from Gretna, Nebraska, the city this outlet mall is in. Please stay away from our outlet mall for the time being because it's owned by an idiot. Thank you.

shop till you drop!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Modern Leper posted:

What the gently caress is this? I'll repeat a request that came out of the DND thread: let's not use these forums as your personal nightmare diary.

i'm just saying why i personally am being very careful not to get this virus. we don't know anything, and viruses can have longer term effects than we have already seen. all the people calling for mass infections and "herd immunity" are 1000% insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

HerStuddMuffin posted:

I probably have it. I sheltered in place at my gf for the last month, and she’s working in a nursing home with several confirmed cases among the residents and employees both. It’s been going down for several weeks now and I’m pretty confident we both have it, but we’re both asymptomatic. Neither of us has been tested. She works with PPE on, I work from home. We only go out for groceries which we get from curb pick up at the store. Hopefully we don’t infect anyone.

:confused: