Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I joined a Facebook group for ex-CMs and while most of it is nostalgia huffing, I still catch some of the undercurrent of people who ruined their lives in the aftermath of being the CCC. One guy was relating how his time on a fire crew in the CCC really helped him out when he ended up in an inmate fire crew.

So, uh, it's good for something I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Leaving an abusive relationship often takes a lot of time effort and therapy

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Internet Wizard posted:

Leaving an abusive relationship often takes a lot of time effort and therapy

Yeah, but the VA just kills us. It's faster.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Guest2553 posted:

Yes. It seems like an easily mitigated risk when the upside is (a strong probability of) having less victims of opportunity. Controls could include: not pulling people over for mickey mouse poo poo; having squad cars operate in groups of two; providing ITWs to places where shooting is imminent or occurring; cross-cue of reports to known locations of cops. I'd give the benefit of the doubt if information wasn't released through a social media feed where you have even less control over it.

Now I'm highlighting myself as the idiot who paid attention to the risk management CBT :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJqIcQCWVXM

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It's still the "Oh gently caress oh gently caress where is my cover I can't go out without it" anxiety dreams for me if I dream anything.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I had "Oh Christ how is my hair three inches long and shaggy and quarters is in two minutes I am going to get my rear end kicked" dreams for about five years after I got out even though I keep my hair cut pretty short due to balding like a motherfucker. Haven't had one in a while though.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

bird food bathtub posted:

It's still the "Oh gently caress oh gently caress where is my cover I can't go out without it" anxiety dreams for me if I dream anything.

im just getting back in after a long time of not wearing hats and ill tell ya this much, ive walked outside more than once without my hat and not realizing for about 25 ft

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

My Spirit Otter posted:

im just getting back in after a long time of not wearing hats and ill tell ya this much, ive walked outside more than once without my hat and not realizing for about 25 ft

WHAT DID YOU JUST CALL YOUR COVER?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Someone should start deliberately calling it their "concealment".

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
It's Head Dress goddamnit

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
“My dome lid”

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Drill Sergeant called them thimbles because we "looked like a bunch of loving thumbs."

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Booger Presley posted:

Drill Sergeant called them thimbles because we "looked like a bunch of loving thumbs."

I actually like this one. That's pretty inventive.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

It's Head Dress goddamnit

its a hat

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I've been out since 1998 and still have nightmares of waking up late and missing inspection formations or weapons draws.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I never got any of that stuff because I was only ever in the Weekend Warriors™, but for the ~4 months after I finished my thesis I would be sitting down relaxing and think "poo poo shouldn't I be reading a journal article or re-analysing data or iterating on my model or something?". Takes you a while to get accustomed to the lack of pressure.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Man, y'all have much less intense Army nightmares than me. Lol

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

"Oh god, did I just lose an anchor nut in the cockpit" has a special place in my anxious milspec dreams.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

We recently had a pilot who, during debrief, realized his wing patch was missing from his flight suit. Another pilot spent hours trying to find it for him, checking dorms, life support, etc. When I left at the end of the day he was steeling himself for a chat with maintenance.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Godholio posted:

We recently had a pilot who, during debrief, realized his wing patch was missing from his flight suit. Another pilot spent hours trying to find it for him, checking dorms, life support, etc. When I left at the end of the day he was steeling himself for a chat with maintenance.

Can you explain this more in depth? I can't parse why losing a patch would be a problem, unless has a patch I'm not aware of?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Because it can fall into things and make things connect that shouldn't or make things not close that should is my guess. Would be a shame if your throttle got stuck open because the patch fell into it and jammed it when you were trying to reduce power.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Items unaccounted for in aviation are bad news. Every tool has a foam cut out it must be returned to at the end of every job. Every bolt/nut/screw must be signed in and out. Every thing done with either of them must be two-person integrity. Maintenance in aviation is serious loving business.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It's why the KC-46 is such strong proof that Boeing has become more hosed up than anyone would've possibly imagined five years ago

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

bird food bathtub posted:

Maintenance in aviation is serious loving business.

I have a friend who was a flight engineer on an ANG C-130 and did airplane maintenance in civilian life. He's were I learned about the concept of locking-wire on nuts, because when a plane is flying there things you really, really can't afford to work themselves loose.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I had a dream where I was in my office working naked. Nobody seemed to mind, so I was just freeballing stress free in meetings.

I do always have that post-deployment kneejerk of "oh Christ where did my weapon go" for at least a few months, every single time.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Scratch Monkey posted:

I have a friend who was a flight engineer on an ANG C-130 and did airplane maintenance in civilian life. He's were I learned about the concept of locking-wire on nuts, because when a plane is flying there things you really, really can't afford to work themselves loose.

Meanwhile, some unnamed military's quartermasters are notorious for stealing the nuts off of emergency vehicles to sell for scrap, which is great until they are needed and you start hearing funny noises in mid-drive.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Wild T posted:

I do always have that post-deployment kneejerk of "oh Christ where did my weapon go" for at least a few months, every single time.

Sup fam

That poo poo has been rearing its ugly head quite a bit lately for me.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

bulletsponge13 posted:

Can you explain this more in depth? I can't parse why losing a patch would be a problem, unless has a patch I'm not aware of?

For the reasons already given, that plane basically comes off the schedule until the missing item is found, or they complete a search of the aircraft that involves removing a lot of stuff that otherwise wouldn't be removed, making MX's life hell for a while.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Everyone I've known from military aviation has a story about a ratchet coming up with a missing BB and the whole shop shutting down for 18 hours turning the place upside down until the new guy happens to find it inside a ceiling light fixture

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I've heard this one before. When it turned up there were two ratchets

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Proud to serve on a forum that has to have a "don't make death threats you idiots" sticky, although I suppose it's mostly CSPAM

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Everyone I've known from military aviation has a story about a ratchet coming up with a missing BB and the whole shop shutting down for 18 hours turning the place upside down until the new guy happens to find it inside a ceiling light fixture

3/8 sockets are mischievous devils who love to vanish off your speeder and cause everyone to rock back and forth on the floor while whimpering.

They are invariably where you have already looked seven times.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I remember a sortie being recalled shortly after takeoff because a maintainer left a tool in the gear well.

aphid_licker posted:

Proud to serve on a forum that has to have a "don't make death threats you idiots" sticky, although I suppose it's mostly CSPAM

Almost seems like an unintentional critique about the overbearing eye of state security and their surveillance methods. I ate a probe once for an awkwardly worded compare-and-contrast between US' superpower suicide trajectory and France's Yellow Vest movement in regards to populaces upholding their end of the social contract. It's not like CSPAM is generating Nobel laureates, but it's also weird to think I could have eaten a perma for engaging in good faith current event discussion.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

3/8 sockets are mischievous devils who love to vanish off your speeder and cause everyone to rock back and forth on the floor while whimpering.

They are invariably where you have already looked seven times.

Would coating the tool in high vis paint or something work in the shop?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They're usually silver or chrome, so not exactly inconspicuous.

All my snap-on tools were found in my cars months after work at the shop.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Guest2553 posted:

I remember a sortie being recalled shortly after takeoff because a maintainer left a tool in the gear well.

I've literally been on a flight where that happened, though for us it was while we were on our way home anyway. Or at least, they thought they might have left a tool in the plane; by the time we landed they had found it in the shop.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

aphid_licker posted:

I think a sizeable portion of it is coming out of D&D itself. The USPOL thread has been flying closer and closer to the sun for a while.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Did I accidentally bookmark the announcement or was that a thing that happened to everybody, so they'd see it?

Or am I the idiot for asking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Dick Burglar posted:

Did I accidentally bookmark the announcement or was that a thing that happened to everybody, so they'd see it?

Or am I the idiot for asking?

It got added to every page of everything everywhere, and cannot be un-bookmarked.