Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
also it's not as simple as just 'buying and storing milk'. you can't sell the stuff that comes directly out of the cow, there are collectives that get the raw milk from a lot of farmers and process it and send it off somewhere else. and if they're full or not working for some reason - well you could go up to the cow and slurp on its nipple if you slipped the farmer 20 bucks but there's no way that milk could be sold to anyone as is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Crimpolioni posted:

It's loving disgusting, dude.

Turn your monitor on.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

redgubbinz posted:

Almond milk sucks because of the stupid amount of water it wastes to grow the almonds, also it tastes bad.

Soy and oat milk seem to work best in coffee/tea. I will never give up butter and cheese though.

Almond milk really is the most wasteful, decadent milk product on the market.

To turn this back towards 'rona chat- the grocery store we go to for supplies every 3 weeks has been out of shelf-stable dairy and plant milk for months. I just wanted to get like a month's supply at a time so I can reduce how often I need to go out. Really makes ya think how if most people buy too much more than their normal amount of groceries it ends in shortages and lags in supply chains. Not to mention the food processing plants that are closing up. edit: Good thing I have some fat to lose.

Green Ganja
Apr 8, 2020

brugroffil posted:

There is enough existing processing capacity, though. It's not like the cows are suddenly producing 50% more milk or something. What happened is that institutional demand from distributors tanked because schools etc. all stopped buying at once, so there's a huge logjam at the end of the supply chain for milk.

Publix isn't buying raw milk. They're buying excess processed milk and giving it away. Governments could instead have automatic mechanisms to purchase excess supply especially in times like these and distribute them to people in need. Another 4.4M unemployed in the last week could probably use some free calories!

The problem isn't the farmer who doesn't have anywhere to send his milk and so is dumping it. The problem isn't a lack of processing capacity or a sudden need to store huge amounts of raw or processed dairy products.The problem is on the demand end.

lol or you know government could just take up the demand slack caused by almost every huge institutional buyer shutting down because you don't actually need additional processing or storage capacity to process or store the exact same amount of milk you were processing in February before demand tanked.

how dare you suggest something be free

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Route the milk and eggs to the same places it would go normally and then get on the news and say “come get some free eggs you shitbags” and pay someone 20 bucks an hour to stand there handing out the eggs.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Fun Fact: Covid 19 has killed more Americans than the Korean war (36k) and is poised to (if it hasn't already) kill more than the Vietnam War (58k) by some time next week. Average deaths per day is over 4x what it was during the Civil war, and nearly 10 times WWI and II. It's really amazing what a loving death cult the GOP is, considering they have really not acknowledged that anything bad has happened that isn't related to the economy.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

frogge posted:

Almond milk really is the most wasteful, decadent milk product on the market.

Only if you aren't including cows or goats milk in your comparison.

Also mods please rename thread "We Are All Gonna Die: Milk commerce and storage solutions megathread"

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Donate raw milk to upperclass hippies they loving love that stuff for some reason

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

bird with big dick posted:

Route the milk and eggs to the same places it would go normally and then get on the news and say “come get some free eggs you shitbags” and pay someone 20 bucks an hour to stand there handing out the eggs.

That is sort of what they're doing with the ridiculous potato surplus in rural Idaho right now if you can get yourself there! Just mountains of potatoes free for the taking.

Yes it would be insane to figure this all out in a month that's why you should have a functional government that plans for these things instead of a failed state kleptocracy but oh well. Just gonna let food rot as tens of millions are suddenly unemployed and showing up at food banks by the thousands.

e:
https://twitter.com/idahomolly/status/1253138993811619841

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 23, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

When the last stimulus bill passed congress (the one that gave everyone $1200), I recall something else being put in there about student loan forgiveness for up to $10,000. Whatever became of that? This is extremely relevant to me, so I wanted see if this didn't get cut out at the last minute, which I suspect it did because there has been no mention of it since.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I'm shocked that SA has so many milk production and supply experts! GBS is truly the Library of Alexandia of our time. We got experts on everything.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

meat police posted:

Donate raw milk to upperclass hippies they loving love that stuff for some reason

This reminds me of when the big thing in California among rich white people was to drink water straight out of streams and rivers. Many of them got horribly sick from parasites and other disgusting poo poo.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I said come in! posted:

This reminds me of when the big thing in California among rich white people was to drink water straight out of streams and rivers. Many of them got horribly sick from parasites and other disgusting poo poo.

fun fact about that: one of the big pushers of that was the same guy who gave the world Juicero!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I didn’t spend 17 years working as director of supply chain sustainability for Darigold to come into this thread and have a bunch of loving turds tell me I don’t know what I’m talking about.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Found a new thread title.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Rolo posted:

I'm the dude with the matching tactical fanny pack and backpack.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Rolo posted:

Oh henny

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
So I started doing volunteer EMS again this week. The last time was in January before poo poo hit the fan, and holy crap all the corona stuff that’s changed is blowing my mind. We’re only sending one person to make patient contact, there’s a nursing home in our district where whoever does go in is usually in full PPE regardless of the call (tyvek suit, gown, double bagged gloves, respirator, and face shield). The new protocol for CPR in NY is basically just a sheet of paper that says “gently caress it, don’t bother”. My partner and I have to keep grocery bags of a full set of PPE in our ambulance at all times. Luckily my old job donated a ton of spare N95 filters and half-mask respirators when they laid me off so we’re pretty good on PPE.

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Rad-daddio posted:

Is he wearing a tacti-kilt too? Is that too much to hope for?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Should turn that into hand sanitizer.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Peak middle America is taking haunting HDR photos of potatoes

Rad-daddio posted:

The Strangest Finch posted:

Is he wearing a tacti-kilt too? Is that too much to hope for?

You're both just gonna ignore the combat helmet?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Right, it's not like people are dying in large enough numbers that the actual consumption of milk and eggs and stuff is being affected the same way it is with gasoline. The difference is that people are picking them up at grocery stores (or trying to, since they're empty) instead of consuming them in restaurants. The only thing that has to change is the supply chain to adjust for that - producers and consumers can keep going as before. But every corporate logistics chain has cut corners so hard in the few decades that throwing a pebble into the pond means everything instantly breaks down. This is where a non-profit motivated actor like the government should have stepped in long ago, and either directly or through regulation required that food producers and distributors plan for and can respond to disaster contingencies.

Or we can dump milk down the drain and firehose money at the agriculture industry to cover their losses while people go hungry, whatever.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 23, 2020

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i missed a couple pages but if you are hiring someone to stand around and hand out eggs for 20 bucks an hour i am interested

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

coronavirus posted:

Only if you aren't including cows or goats milk in your comparison.

Also mods please rename thread "We Are All Gonna Die: Milk commerce and storage solutions megathread"

Well yeah, why though? I'm not a vegan.

To clarify: Out of all of the plant-based milks almond milk is the worst for resource consumption and among the lowest in nutritional value.

frogge fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 23, 2020

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Store the potatoes in the milk.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Looks like we're about to fall into the sun :(

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I thought those where skulls at first

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Hazo posted:

You're both just gonna ignore the combat helmet?

I admit the vest / kilt / fanny pack / Hawaiian shirt(?) Combo distracted me a bit from that. Dudes got his bases covered. Or something.

guitartorch
Jan 4, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

brugroffil posted:

That is sort of what they're doing with the ridiculous potato surplus in rural Idaho right now if you can get yourself there! Just mountains of potatoes free for the taking.

Yes it would be insane to figure this all out in a month that's why you should have a functional government that plans for these things instead of a failed state kleptocracy but oh well. Just gonna let food rot as tens of millions are suddenly unemployed and showing up at food banks by the thousands.

e:

Beatufulk spuds,....brings a tear to my eye. with gas as cheap as it is I have half a mind to drive up there and fill my trunk. Pomme de terre U(a[ples of the ground_)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

is it okay to scrooge mcduck into the pile of potatoes?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

holy gently caress bank card fraud is outta control right now

they must just be brute force rolling numbers

guitartorch
Jan 4, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

numberoneposter posted:

holy gently caress bank card fraud is outta control right now

they must just be brute force rolling numbers

what does this mean. how do you know. and why should I care, op?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
dumping potatoes on the ground is v. frustrating because those are easy to store and move around and you can just give them to people as is, no additional processing required

just have all those unemployed oil truckers start trucking potatoes and dumping them in big piles in random places in cities

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Everyone's hating on almond milk.

Whatever,

More for me

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

guitartorch posted:

what does this mean. how do you know. and why should I care, op?
like visa and visa debit numbers are being charged with weird stuff

i work for a bank and im seeing a ton of it its insane

id keep a some cash on you because the fraud call centers are swamped and in case you need to buy lunch or groceries or whatever and your card wont go through

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Bread Liar

brugroffil posted:

e:

there are literally people around the world starving and we're dumping food in fields because we have too much of it.. this country loving sucks donkey dicks

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I said come in! posted:

When the last stimulus bill passed congress (the one that gave everyone $1200), I recall something else being put in there about student loan forgiveness for up to $10,000. Whatever became of that? This is extremely relevant to me, so I wanted see if this didn't get cut out at the last minute, which I suspect it did because there has been no mention of it since.

That was some pie in the sky type of stuff the dems we’re pushing for in the House I believe. It never had a chance of making it, unfortunately.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Natalie Fartman posted:

Everyone's hating on almond milk.

Whatever,

More for me

are they just giving it to you since others aren't buying it?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Louisgod posted:

there are literally people around the world starving and we're dumping food in fields because we have too much of it.. this country loving sucks donkey dicks
lmao everything is hosed RIP dont buy stocks until we really have hit rock bottom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Bread Liar

Mozi posted:

dumping potatoes on the ground is v. frustrating because those are easy to store and move around and you can just give them to people as is, no additional processing required

just have all those unemployed oil truckers start trucking potatoes and dumping them in big piles in random places in cities

The extremely cool thing about America is that companies would rather dump the food into a landfill than give it out to people that would actually use it.