Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm actually considering leaving the enemies at lower level but placing the three player enemies so the spellweaver gets to stretch her legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Scoss posted:

Probably works significantly better in a 3 or 4 player game where there are juicier AoE setups and more incidental elements flying around.

Was all set to argue but honestly it’s largely this. Spellweaver’s key strengths are their big loss AOEs with some interesting support abilities and element-required lockdown; and there’s more enemies to target, more elements, and more teammates to support in 4 player. There’s flat out just more opportunities to use your cool abilities to good effect instead of wasting them in a suboptimal situation.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

JBP posted:

Yeah we've been doing this a bit and she's getting better, but it's tough to remember this stuff in the heat of the game. Excellent point re the bow though that's an auto get and it hadn't even occured to me.

I also bought a mana potion and I've got an ice wand to help set up some big hits.

What's your hand weapon? I used a Battle Axe almost exclusively.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Elephant Ambush posted:

What's your hand weapon? I used a Battle Axe almost exclusively.

Poison dagger and I found an ice wand which lets me set up ethereal apparition. I was thinking of using a battle axe but I'm running the cloak of pockets so I've got stamina potions, a mana potion and stun powder. I can also recharge two of my consumables with pendant of dark promises which owns.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Spellweaver is really all about enhancing Cold Fire for 1 more hex then generating as much fire and ice elements to use Cold Fire to its full potential, at least before you get Inferno.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Elephant Ambush posted:

I feel like people might not be getting the most out of the Spellweaver for more than one reason.

First of all, get Eagle Eye Goggles and a Piercing Bow. Maybe Boots of Striding if any are available. Cloak of Invisibility is super good if you're aggro.

Next, set yourself up for element combos. Fire Orbs into Flame Strike the next turn. Stuff like that.

Icy Blast at level 2 is incredible and you can do it twice per scenario. Enhance the bottom of the initiative 7 card (Mana Bolt) with Strengthen and then do that with Icy Blast first or second turn and then again later on.

Work with other party members to see if they will generate elements for you to use.

The class can do stupid amounts of damage with a good build and some setups.

lol the spellweaver player has this exact loadout and is working with elements every turn but is still 100% lagging behind. Some of it might have been level lag (3 vs 4-5), some of it might have been scenario bias (#8 with Cragheart, Scoundrel and Tinkerer, Cragheart absolutely clowns on that place and Scoundrel is ideal for that sort of boss), and some of it might be a general lack of elemental support (the group also has Mindthief so anyone generating something is just planning to use it for themselves)... but I don't think even all of those factors contribute to what I see as an inherent weakness in the cards. It really does feel like in order to counter the power of Reviving Ether, your average Spellweaver loss card is more equivalent to a higher-mid-tier non-loss until like level 6 or up, and that doesn't strike me as a great class to potentially be stuck with in the lowest-resource part of the game.

The elements question is the one I'm most interested in, because it seems to me that a class that generates elements frequently and isn't intending to consume them for its own use is pretty sparse and far between; things like the stray fire or air off of Brute and the stray earth in two-mini feel sort of like maybe once-in-a-scenario events.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 27, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just on damage and stuff I run the +2 damage recurring ability on my rat 99% of the time. I've got pets and other means to avoid damage or heal. I'd run out of cards every time if I wasn't getting that extra output happening. Before I got my extra potion capacity and gear I'd pass out nearly every mission and the spellweaver would use her last few cards to get it done thanks to recovering the lost pile.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

JBP posted:

So we did like 6 scenarios in two days and my dude is crazy now. I flattened out my deck for basically no negative cards as ratboy and also picked up a necklace that lets me get two potions back in a mission in exchange for a curse, great deal!

Due to this and our newly unlocked tier 2 items, I bought myself a coats of pockets meaning I can carry four potions/items. Now I'm this mad rat throwing rats at people, hooning around and then chugging potions and stunning people with powders, then chugging the potion again and throwing more stun bombs at people!

Regarding that item, one of us is interpreting it wrong - hopefully me, because I'd like it to be your stronger version. Unless I'm reading the icon wrong, it only untaps tapped cards, it doesn't restore lost cards. So it can't get potions back. I haven't even encountered any misc items that tap yet so it's useless so far.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Kylaer posted:

Regarding that item, one of us is interpreting it wrong - hopefully me, because I'd like it to be your stronger version. Unless I'm reading the icon wrong, it only untaps tapped cards, it doesn't restore lost cards. So it can't get potions back. I haven't even encountered any misc items that tap yet so it's useless so far.

Nope. That item, Pendant of Dark Pacts, can get back consumed items, and its primary use for most players is to recover stamina potions during a scenario.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Item #45 gives you back two consumed small items (the ones with the cross, like Stamina Potions, Stun powders) at the cost of a curse. There's a weaker version, and also a family of items that refresh spent items (the ones that turn to the side, like Boots of Striding, Heater Shield).

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Whoa. Why does it use the untap icon, then, instead of the other icon? Thanks for the correction, that makes it a very strong item indeed.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

The iconography for Item Refresh is very poorly chosen. Just pay attention to the wording. If it says "Spent Item", it means the tap and refresh on long rest type of items. If it says "Consumed Item", its talking about one-time effects like Healing and Stamina potions.

There are classes that get Item Refresh powers in their modifier deck. This is explained in the Rulebook so it's not a spoiler. In the Rulebook is states that these Item Refresh modifiers work on both spent and consumed items. It confused me for the longest time as we played one class entirely wrong all the way through to retirement because of it, limiting it to just Spent items.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Cocks Cable posted:

It confused me for the longest time as we played one class entirely wrong all the way through to retirement because of it, limiting it to just Spent items.

Which is, to be clear, merely incredibly strong as opposed to being capable of literally breaking the action economy of the game in half.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

^^^ Yeah which is why we just assumed it was spent items. "Pfft, no way would Issac let us just have infinite stamina potions! *checks FAQ* Well drat..."

Frosthaven locked class items are revealed! Let the speculation commence.

Looks like we might finally have a Trap-centric class. I trust Issac to make it cool.

A tazmanian devil class. A clam bake class. A BDSM class. A miner class?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Excited for 90s soda ad where they punch the viewer in the face at the end class

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Cocks Cable posted:

^^^ Yeah which is why we just assumed it was spent items. "Pfft, no way would Issac let us just have infinite stamina potions! *checks FAQ* Well drat..."

Looks like we might finally have a Trap-centric class. I trust Issac to make it cool.

Well we know that robots are going to be a new race so at least 2 of those are definitely robot classes.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Swirls, Coral, Trap, Shackles, Clam
Meteor, Punch, Mineral, Diamond, Drill

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Elephant Ambush posted:

Well we know that robots are going to be a new race so at least 2 of those are definitely robot classes.

Oh yeah. And we know there are 3 main campaign branches based on the Algox, Unfettered, and Lukers, so likely 2 a piece for each of those races. Crystallized Fist is probably Algox. Clam is Lurker. Drill thing Unfettered.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

gently caress me we were also getting the scenario level rules wrong. I thought it was just the average of the party level, but it's the average party level / 2 rounded up. So a party of 3 players at level 3 has a scenario level of 2, not 3 like I thought it did...

that'll make the rest of the game going forward much easier. We just did #9 at scenario level 3 with 3 level 3 characters (cragheart, mindthief, and tinkerer) and it was hell.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

Swirls, Coral, Trap, Shackles, Clam
Meteor, Punch, Mineral, Diamond, Drill

wile e. coyote, barrier reef, trap music, cop, venus de milo
sephiroth, fighting type, construct additional pylons, hedron crab, and gurren lagann

Verisimilidude posted:

gently caress me we were also getting the scenario level rules wrong. I thought it was just the average of the party level, but it's the average party level / 2 rounded up. So a party of 3 players at level 3 has a scenario level of 2, not 3 like I thought it did...

that'll make the rest of the game going forward much easier. We just did #9 at scenario level 3 with 3 level 3 characters (cragheart, mindthief, and tinkerer) and it was hell.

drat you deserve some sort of extra credit for actually making it through that tbh. This is one of many reasons that I'm hesitant to play gloomhaven outside of TTSim, though, the automation solves so many things of this type. I just wish it had a way to unlock classes with a button press and add the appropriate events

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Cocks Cable posted:

These seem less abstract than the Gloomhaven locked classes. I'm beelining for Octopus Chef in the top right. I wonder if drill class will be able to drill through walls. Punch class also reminds me of cragheart breaking rocks, from the icon maybe it will be able to kool aid man and those two classes will be able to place open space tiles connecting two rooms.

Does jaws of the lion have any new locked classes?

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Cocks Cable posted:

Top right is totally a mushroom cloud.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Im going to play as chef hat as soon as I can

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

bagrada posted:

Does jaws of the lion have any new locked classes?

No. It's just 4 starter classes and that is all.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Grundma posted:

Im going to play as chef hat as soon as I can

the bowling shirt flame streaks on the chefs hat make me think the next class is just guy fieri

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Plate Spinner, Breakdancer, HVAC, Drumline, Chef Hat
Firebrains, Paper Crumpler, Simic, Sentry, Narwhal

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Forever_Peace posted:

Snow Tornado, Electric Cactus, Diablo "o", BDSM, The Birth of Venus

Deep Impact, Terrorist Fist Jab, 3 Obelisks, Surprised Rhombus, That Villain that Shows Up at the End of "The Incredibles"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kylaer posted:

Are there even any small items that are spent instead of consumed? I don't think that our group has encountered any

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

LLSix posted:

Speaking of the TTS mod, what's your experience with it been? Better or worse than the digital game? We moved recently and have been thinking about giving it a try with the our pre-move Gloomhaven group.

We played the three Frosthaven demo missions on it, it was pretty straightforward.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kylaer posted:

I know you've got your answer but I paid close attention to "consumed" and decided it couldn't mean anything else. Enjoy!

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Forever_Peace posted:

Clearly they are:

Tripped Serving Wench, Exploding Bronchi, Home Sewn X-Men, Soup Can Telephone, Tentacle Whoopie Cushion

Poop Smear, Stalagmite Cavern, Eccentric W, Orchid Dradel, Leaning Lighthouse of Piza

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
The YouTube videos I’ve seen make TTS look outrageously clunky and awkward to use. Like, it’s apparently possible to accidentally flip the table over and lose progress if you haven’t saved recently?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

You can undo moves. IMO playing Gloomhaven on TTS is easier than playing it on a table (which isn't to say it's necessarily more fun), though being bad at organizing and having limited table space probably color my perspective there.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Even without all the automation, the lack of setup and cleanup after every session alone is worth it

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Wait you don't flip the table in live sessions when you're done? Mind blown.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
My table is a 5'x5' square made of solid wood with its legs at the corners, if you're able to flip it, you need to share whatever steroids you're on with me :unsmigghh:

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Aggro posted:

The YouTube videos I’ve seen make TTS look outrageously clunky and awkward to use. Like, it’s apparently possible to accidentally flip the table over and lose progress if you haven’t saved recently?

Anyone flipping the table is doing it on purpose, and there's a "rewind time" button if someone is being funny about it .

TTS allows my group to play gloomhaven multiple times a week, where a physical meetup would be absolutely impossible to pull off even outside of plague times. Automated scenario setup and cleanup at the click of a button, one button deck shuffling, one click to fetch numbered treasures or map markers, zero setup or teardown time at the bookends of a session whatsoever. It is "fiddly" for a videogame, but compared to the reality of playing with a physical gloomhaven set, it is unquestionably easier.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TTS is definitely clunky, as someone who just finished a 6 person game of Twlight Imperium that took 4 4 hour sessions to finish instead of 1 6-8 hour session.

Once you get used to the interface, it's fine, and then it's down to just keeping people attentive. I would much prefer playing in person, but hey, you take what you can get in a pandemic.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TTS is clunky in the same way that playing an actual board game is clunky, but with scripting it takes care of a lot of the busy work so it's actually pretty cool. Pulling map tiles out of the box and getting everything set up is the time-consuming part, and TTS does all of that for you. That said, obviously holding a hand of cards in real life is a little easier than dragging cards around on a virtual table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Forever_Peace posted:

Concentric C's, Cactus Blast, Motion Blur Fan, Duct Tape Paperclips, Oil Ocean
Psychic Knife, Angry Fist, Weyland, Leviathan From Hellraiser, Retrofuturist Traffic Cone