Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

a few years ago i moved from the corporate world of Bullshit Jobs (and i was in marketing so it was extra bullshitty) to being a full time independent musician. its a lot harder and more scary and unstable (i lost most of my work and income this year due to the virus) but man the comparative lack of bullshit is so refreshing. if im on stage and i gently caress something up, everybody hears it. there's no hiding or obfuscating it, there's no way to foist the responsibility on to some vague other group of people. whereas in a typical corporate office environment there's generally an unspoken agreement, "i wont call you on your bullshit if you dont call me on mine", so laziness and mistakes up to a certain level are intentionally hidden by this mutual agreement on everybody's part and it just stacks up

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Chomp8645 posted:

To my knowledge, which may be mistaken, it's extremely difficult to get payments if you're not working while your place of business is open unless you have one of the special exemptions like caretakers/immunodeficiency/whatever. It's generally considered "choosing" not to work if the business is open but you aren't there.

If your job is garbage retail than is obviously not essential, then probably your best bet is to report it and hope they close it back down.

report it to who?

Rutibex posted:

:ssh:
no one at the UI office has time to check stuff like this right now

so what are you suggesting?

go to work AND file for UI?

quit and just keep filing since I'm already on record as being unemployed?

I don't know what to do here.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

If your job is garbage retail than is obviously not essential, then probably your best bet is to report it and hope they close it back down.

that poster is in SC, which reopened a whole bunch of types of non-essential businesses on April 20 as long as they limit the number of people in store

https://sccommerce.com/covid-19-non-essential-business-guidelines

epsilon posted:

i hate to say it but i think your best bet might be to make them fire you

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

People are showing that the pandemic is either a hoax or totally blown out of control by wearing PPE that has been modified to be useless. Thus owning the fear-mongering libs who are wearing PPE to help efforts to control the pandemic. . . which totally doesn't exist.

<context is stupid ignorant people being proud of how stupid and ignorant they are>

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Earwicker posted:

that poster is in SC, which reopened a whole bunch of types of non-essential businesses on April 20 as long as they limit the number of people in store

https://sccommerce.com/covid-19-non-essential-business-guidelines

i hate to say it but i think your best bet might be to make them fire you

Well poo poo, yeah sorry guy. You have no options other than getting yourself fired and collecting that way. Sorry but that's your state government. Come and join us in the Western States Pact if you ever feel like living in a civilized nation.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Chomp8645 posted:

To my knowledge, which may be mistaken, it's extremely difficult to get payments if you're not working while your place of business is open unless you have one of the special exemptions like caretakers/immunodeficiency/whatever. It's generally considered "choosing" not to work if the business is open but you aren't there.

Won't work. As I said almost a month ago: Our shithead Trump-appointed governor never actually issued a statewide shelter-in place (and suggested that cities don't have the authority to do it themselves) precisely for this reason-- so he can take credit for recommending that people stay home, but if companies want to throw people into the mulcher he can just throw up his hands and be all "free market lol"

epsilon posted:

Is there any way to fight this and maintain my UI payments? I am not dying for some company's bottom line. Please help me.
Post the name of the company and hope they get shamed.

Otherwise yeah, refuse to go back because you clearly feel unsafe and when they fire you keep slamming those sweet $200-a-week checks.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

shovelbum posted:

this is a lot better than designating a bunch of skilled people as work from home and leaving the nursing home work to racial undesirables tho?

Yeah, I assume the ministry is doing the best they can with a terrible situation. The nursing homes NEED more help. I can't imagine a hiring fair would work for positions that normally pay a few dollars more than minimum wage and currently involve caring for Covid-19 patients without proper PPE. Part of the reason they urgently need help is because in some facilities half the staff is out with covid-19 already, so anyone joining now is gonna feel like getting the roni is inevitable.

The situation is so dire that we've also had the military deployed to some care homes. https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-military-s-assistance-to-long-term-care-homes-1.4909490

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if the situation is so dire maybe they should offer $100/hr

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The social workers forced to work in nursing homes reminds me of a story. I knew some US Army dentists during the big surge in Iraq in ~2007? Army was short on bodies, so they sent the dentists to a two week training to teach them how to be field medics stabilizing gunshot wounds and stuff, so they could deploy them to a warzone.

The dentists who joined the army to get school paid for were not happy about this idea.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

golden bubble posted:

China only had half the world production for N95s before the crisis. There are some US manufacturing capacity for it, but not that much.

https://www.wired.com/story/defense-production-act-n95-masks-shortage-covid-19/

Electrostatic non-woven meltblown fabric is some bullshit, and it makes sense why it takes time to get these machines online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHPbJtq4YJc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F75Q4wFaOGg

When I checked the packages of N95s I had a while ago, they were from either Mexico or Ireland. I don't know where the material was made though.

I had a meeting with my boss today, and he was saying how we spend $$$ for our office in Manhattan, and we could send everybody to Cancun every month to workshop or whatever and still come out ahead. I was already WFH, but we may go 100% remote after this. Commercial real estate may tank, but Hotel and Resorts may see an uptick?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Let's be honest.
Despite being a generational epidemic that's spread across the globe, frankly, it hasn't been bad ENOUGH yet to change enough minds.

Your boss, and your boss' boss, all of them will go right back to their same expectations and old ways and will not understand or want to understand what any of this means or meant.
Many of them will say "I know, I understand. I do, but-" and then shrug and motion as if it's beyond their control because they're being directed to return things back to normal. That the status quo must be regained.

There will be no raises, there will be no revolution in working from home, there will be no new attendance policies or service levels. Those that are implemented will be higher, because if you could do it undermanned and in worse conditions, then you can still do it now.
Any other changes will come from higher up, and they will be, as others have mentioned, in the form of the realization that jobs aren't needed and can be easily eliminated or outsourced and off-sited far more cheaply even more quickly and painlessly than had already been in the works.

Other than that, this simply hasn't been a bad enough experience to get enough people to realize that any meaningful or helpful change to workplace dynamics could occur in the far vast majority of fields. THEY didn't die. YOU didn't die. Why can't you come in and work? What's the big deal, after all?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

Let's be honest.
Despite being a generational epidemic that's spread across the globe, frankly, it hasn't been bad ENOUGH yet to change enough minds.

Your boss, and your boss' boss, all of them will go right back to their same expectations and old ways and will not understand or want to understand what any of this means or meant.
Many of them will say "I know, I understand. I do, but-" and then shrug and motion as if it's beyond their control because they're being directed to return things back to normal. That the status quo must be regained.

There will be no raises, there will be no revolution in working from home, there will be no new attendance policies or service levels. Those that are implemented will be higher, because if you could do it undermanned and in worse conditions, then you can still do it now.
Any other changes will come from higher up, and they will be, as others have mentioned, in the form of the realization that jobs aren't needed and can be easily eliminated or outsourced and off-sited far more cheaply even more quickly and painlessly than had already been in the works.

Other than that, this simply hasn't been a bad enough experience to get enough people to realize that any meaningful or helpful change to workplace dynamics could occur in the far vast majority of fields. THEY didn't die. YOU didn't die. Why can't you come in and work? What's the big deal, after all?

https://forge.medium.com/prepare-for-the-ultimate-gaslighting-6a8ce3f0a0e0

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
If I have an N95 mask, why can't I wear it on my weekly trip to the supermarket? I'm not wearing it daily, it just sits around for a week till it's time to use it again.

Course, before this it was just sitting in the back of my car for over a year.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i have a N95 that i just hang from the rearview mirror and then sun beats down on it 12 hours a day for a week until next time i need it

boar guy fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 28, 2020

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
re: Beef - that's only true at this particular moment in time; we are still in the early stages of dealing with the pandemic

people are going to go back to work; there will be a massive spike in infections, far surpassing the previous peak. many, many more people will die. the economy will not recover both because people will be rightfully afraid of going out, and then later because everyone is sick again

our food production, processing and distribution networks will break down. migrant workers won't be here to pick fruits and they will rot in the fields. workers will continue to be sick and processing plants will be shut down. there will be a continuing mismatch between the new demand (food banks, people cooking at home) and the old demand (restaurants) which will result in waste and an inability to meet that demand

the political situation will continue to worsen as the complete disaster of our response divides people further and people who supported going back to work will sink ever further into delusion and enemy-seeking as they try to externalize blame for the continuing disaster. not to mention that the massive number of unemployed people, people who can't pay their bills, etc etc that will put further strain on state systems (with no hope of a federal bailout)

and this is just talking about the US - who can predict what sort of global consequences there will be for countries who are really unable to feed their people or provide even minimal support

where we are right now will in 3 months be looked back on as 'the good old days'

then again i don't know what i'm talking about so YMMV

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

epsilon posted:

report it to who?

so what are you suggesting?

My boss has been encouraging me to come back work for weeks despite the stay at home order and being shut down by state order as a non-essential business. I told her that I'm not comfortable violating an emergency shutdown order during a global crisis. She quit asking after that, but if she had continued pushing it, I would have reported it. Your city/county/state probably has some way to report businesses violating the stay-at-home order. Some have websites, some have a phone number to call. If you can't figure it out, call your non-emergency police number and ask them.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

no idea how retail based stores are going to survive this. chains with 400 stores in empty malls and supply lines going back to silk trees in mainland china are never, ever going to recover. century-old retailers are going to go out of business left and right

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
the whole economy is based on the maxim of 'i'll give you two cheeseburgers tomorrow for a cheeseburger today'

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

boar guy posted:

no idea how retail based stores are going to survive this. chains with 400 stores in empty malls and supply lines going back to silk trees in mainland china are never, ever going to recover. century-old retailers are going to go out of business left and right

Seems like the answer is mostly begging for handouts.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Loving the people who are gleefully advocating laying of people who are not doing their job at 100 percent efficiency, so that the businesses will save money for the rich people at the top, who are also not doing poo poo.

You guys realize that this can and propably will happen to you the second someone realizes your position isn't that important either, and the people benefiting from this are the ultra rich who will just hoard more and more wealth and power until they control most of it?

The more efficient and easy jobs get to do the less people will have jobs, which is not a good thing, especially without any social instrument to distribute the acquired wealth.

Coronavirus has the chance to either improve conditions for the average person or for companies to cut a poo poo ton of non essential workers who will then have nothing to fall back unto.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, I assume the ministry is doing the best they can with a terrible situation. The nursing homes NEED more help. I can't imagine a hiring fair would work for positions that normally pay a few dollars more than minimum wage and currently involve caring for Covid-19 patients without proper PPE. Part of the reason they urgently need help is because in some facilities half the staff is out with covid-19 already, so anyone joining now is gonna feel like getting the roni is inevitable.

The situation is so dire that we've also had the military deployed to some care homes. https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-military-s-assistance-to-long-term-care-homes-1.4909490

As coronavirus deaths at Gracedale grow to 19, staffers call out of work and the National Guard steps in

quote:

As deaths among residents continue to increase at Gracedale nursing home, the Pennsylvania National Guard is providing 20 medics and eight nurses to shore up operations there for the next three days amid 780 staff call-outs in the last month during the coronavirus pandemic.

As of Monday, 19 residents of the Northampton County-run home had died of the coronavirus, up from nine reported Saturday, according to a news release from county Executive Lamont McClure. Eighty residents have tested positive. Eight are in the hospital and 72 are recovering in the in-house isolation unit.

Among employees, 26 have tested positive. Nine have finished their quarantine periods and returned to work.

For years, Northampton County administrations have struggled to fully staff operations at the Upper Nazareth Township facility, one of the largest nursing homes in the state. But the pandemic has worsened the staffing shortage, with almost 28 nurses calling out on average every day this month.

While the county has worked to increase nurses’ wages in recent years, other health care facilities have been able to offer better pay. One benefit that helped retain workers is a generous package of sick and vacation time. The employees are within their contracted rights to call out now, but McClure called on them to rise to the occasion as many of their co-workers have.

“Our workers have a great deal of sick, vacation and personal time. They have the time to call out now. That’s not the point. You need to show up for the residents. That’s the point," McClure said.

The county is also offering hazard pay for staff coming in to work during the pandemic. Employees handling the riskiest assignments are receiving a 30% boost in their base pay, McClure said.

Big Beef City posted:

Let's be honest.

This is absolutely true. It hasn't happened to me or someone I know personally, so it's not there. La la laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I can't hear youuuuuuuuuuu....

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
My favorite generous union vacation package thing is in military contracting, a lot of the guys contracted to maintain the reserve ships that sit around at the dock until an activation for sea trials or exercises or whatever will save up all their vacation to make sure they never have to personally leave the dock once.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Blistex posted:

Remember that episode of The Office (US)? The one right after Michael Scott took off and Jim was saying, "everything is running better than usual without a manager, people know and are doing their jobs". I wonder how many companies are going to look at this situation and say, "Ole Bob who is this district manager just forwards my email to everyone on his staff, and when they have a question he just forwards them back to me. . . why do I need Bob?"

I worked at a high school where the principal was fired for not kowtowing to the director of education, and for 3/4 of the year our school didn't have one. My co-teacher and I just took over her duties and basically ignored everything that wasn't a parent contacting the school or some sort of deadline for something important to be done. The school ran no different, and the teachers (myself and co-teacher included) actually had more time to do stuff since we were not always being dragged into hour-long staff meeting twice a week to hear stuff we already knew. Productivity was up, stress was down, everyone (students included) were in a better mood. I have a feeling that some companies are going to notice that their employees know what to do, and they don't need a six-figure babysitter who doesn't actually do anything but waste their time.

Then again, for every company that does that, there will probably be 20 who try and lay off 1/4 of their most productive workers (because working from home allowed them to be more productive) or outsource them to India.

An hour ago I got a phone call from my boss’s boss telling me my boss was laid off.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Blistex posted:

Remember that episode of The Office (US)? The one right after Michael Scott took off and Jim was saying, "everything is running better than usual without a manager, people know and are doing their jobs". I wonder how many companies are going to look at this situation and say, "Ole Bob who is this district manager just forwards my email to everyone on his staff, and when they have a question he just forwards them back to me. . . why do I need Bob?"

I absolutely hate this. Routing questions between teams doesn't make you a manager. It makes you a switchboard operator.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If I get laid off I’m gonna mooch off my wife and spend the next six months training for American Ninja Warrior I want to be the first person over 400 pounds to make it up the salmon ladder

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

bird with big dick posted:

If I get laid off I’m gonna mooch off my wife and spend the next six months training for American Ninja Warrior I want to be the first person over 400 pounds to make it up the salmon ladder

We regret to inform you that this

is not the salmon ladder.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

I guess most of those machines are not in the US?

I guess this means that box of supposed N95 filters I got at my local supermarket with no NIOSH and labeled as KN95 PM 2.5 with a CE and an FDA logo sloppily pasted on in the corner aren't reeeallllly N95 masks..

Yeah my guess is that there's a ton of fake N95 masks floating around where the filter is just used pantyhose or whatever and are effectively N25

The machine that makes the filter material doesn't need to be in the same country as the one that does final assembly though

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Kestral posted:

This is reductionist and you know it.

:fry:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

bird with big dick posted:

An hour ago I got a phone call from my boss’s boss telling me my boss was laid off.

Congratulations on your promotion :unsmigghh:

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

what are the most effective ways to shame businesses for reopening in this crisis?

i am not going back to work with things the way they are

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The most ambitious crossover yet.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

Many of them will say "I know, I understand. I do, but-" and then shrug and motion as if it's beyond their control because they're being directed to return things back to normal.
Let’s be clear, that’s manager code for “I fought my boss like hell on this but he’s being an idiot.”

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Also, don't think this is an N95 machine but lol look at all that non-organic super fine fiber partible poo poo flying around in there, all those people have lung cancer now. An hour in there is probably equivalent to working in an asbestos mine for a lifetime. There's white fuzz everywhere even though they just wiped down everything. Lady in the corner knitting isn't even wearing a mask.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

epsilon posted:

I need help I am in SC and I was just told my job is reopening for business this Friday.

Shelter in Place is still in effect until May 15.

We are still under severe threat of infection.

I work a garbage retail job for near minimum wage. I am collecting unemployment.

Is there any way to fight this and maintain my UI payments? I am not dying for some company's bottom line. Please help me.
I think there is a way but it takes balls

I have them but I'm old.
Are you at extra risk in any way? If you are MAKE THEM FIRE YOU. Example: go to work and freak out all day. I'm serious, act nervous cry gently caress up but don't refuse to work outright. ACT! pick your favorite actor or actress and win that Oscar.

This would be embarrassing but is totally doable. - Listen to me goon. This would work. Only you will know exactly how to gently caress up so they send you home repeatedly, we, and fire you. It might seem too obvious but its not really, because hardly anyone will do it- societal pressure is too great. What you will be presenting is that you mentally can't handle it- NOT that you are refusing. If you have the balls, it should work. They will "let you go." Lay you off, or fire you.

Everyone's resume is going to be all hosed up during this time period so that is NOT a big deal. Everyone in the US gets a gimme for this time period on a resume, period.

pm me if you want. This sucks but it takes brains to game this hosed up system. They deserve it, they forced you to this.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hadlock posted:

Also, don't think this is an N95 machine but lol look at all that non-organic super fine fiber partible poo poo flying around in there, all those people have lung cancer now. An hour in there is probably equivalent to working in an asbestos mine for a lifetime. There's white fuzz everywhere even though they just wiped down everything. Lady in the corner knitting isn't even wearing a mask.

Heck no, now they have N95 lungs and they're immortal

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

you guys understand that purposely getting fired for cause isn't grounds for unemployment right, or everybody would just punch their boss and walk out

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Rutibex posted:

yeah actually productive people will keep working. I'm mostly concerned for people in these types of jobs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kikzjTfos0s

This vid makes me glad I don't want to take a leadership role, and I hope I never get pushed up to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you break a bunch of laws while being fired, solitary confinement is the ultimate social distancing :thunk: